Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The-Mole posted:

There are actually a ton of people who took a bunch of acid, had religious experiences, and then became born-again Christians.

Yeah, but does that mean they went all conservative? Hippiedom and Christianity can go pretty hand-in-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Good to see Joseph Gribble making an appearance after King of the Hill ended. :v:

Jimmy Haslam, owner of the Cleveland Browns, paid $92 million dollars in fines (aka "a cost of doing business" if you're massively big as his trucking company is) to prevent federal prosecution. And if that last name sounds familiar, that's because his brother is the governor of Tennessee, who probably had a part in the subsidy fraud of Pilot Flying J (which sounds less like a trucking company name and more like an anime title). Does TN have elections this year? Because if they do, I still see brother Haslam winning in a walk.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Here's a pretty interesting article I found on the Democratic primary losses of "progressive" candidates in Illinois and Maryland.

The rest of the thing is here: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2014/07/summer-rerun-left-slice-democrats-getting-crushed.html

Just wanted to say as a campaign person that I am finding that some of the young Democrats are relying WAY too much on netroots or viral campaigns than you know actually campaigning. People need to see you face to face and you need to talk to the voters and do some of the traditional work to get elected. Having facebook and twitter and mail is all good but until you go out there and work a little, you aren't going far.

Also, when you go off the record, you should still be fairly vague about what you are talking about.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Ballz posted:

Eagles be illin'

A high school history teacher of mine would always use this terminolgy when the students were talking about partying over the weekend.

Student: "So we were out drinking this weekend..."
Teacher: "That's a sick bird!"
Student: "What?"
Teacher: "That's a sick bird, that's an ill eagle and unless you are a bird vet, then you need to stop talking about it."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So I got a new set of tumblers yesterday, and today David Frum went on an unhinged twitter rant accusing others of wanting to kill jews if they weren't cheering for killing muslims.

It's fate man.

Anyways since we are in recess I'm working on an effort post on American infrastructure. Not just the "what is required, what we spend" think that was meant for the OP, but also a thing of why American infrastructure projects are so much more expensive and take so much longer than projects in other developed countries.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That's one of my favorite parts of Hastings' book. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T SAY IT WAS OFF THE RECORD," McChrystal's staff freaking out after the article is published is hilarious.

Was that in The Operators, or a different book? The Operators has been on my "to read" list for a while

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Yeah that's the one.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

So I got a new set of tumblers yesterday, and today David Frum went on an unhinged twitter rant accusing others of wanting to kill jews if they weren't cheering for killing muslims.

It's fate man.

Anyways since we are in recess I'm working on an effort post on American infrastructure. Not just the "what is required, what we spend" think that was meant for the OP, but also a thing of why American infrastructure projects are so much more expensive and take so much longer than projects in other developed countries.

You are a prince among men; don't ever slow down.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

It's fate man.

drat you were not kidding

This one too

the "stop hitting yourself!" defense. Truly a great journalist of our time.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Defenestration posted:

the "stop hitting yourself!" defense. Truly a great journalist of our time.

To be fair, given recent history, anyone who expects much otherwise and thinks Hamas seriously has a chance of challenging the game on the ground is probably deluding themselves to the sheer technological/firepower superiority of the IDF (c.f. Cast Lead).

That's not to say they couldn't continue guerrilla tactics for a time or that Iron Dome is actually useful (that is, pretty much, all they can do) but so far there's no real reason to think that this time is any different than before. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

A high school history teacher of mine would always use this terminolgy when the students were talking about partying over the weekend.

Student: "So we were out drinking this weekend..."
Teacher: "That's a sick bird!"
Student: "What?"
Teacher: "That's a sick bird, that's an ill eagle and unless you are a bird vet, then you need to stop talking about it."

...There was a fireworks stand on the road I drive to work named Ill Eagle Fireworks. The sign had a sickly looking bird on it. Also flying the Gadsden flag.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ComradeCosmobot posted:

To be fair, given recent history, anyone who expects much otherwise and thinks Hamas seriously has a chance of challenging the game on the ground is probably deluding themselves to the sheer technological/firepower superiority of the IDF (c.f. Cast Lead).

That's not to say they couldn't continue guerrilla tactics for a time or that Iron Dome is actually useful (that is, pretty much, all they can do) but so far there's no real reason to think that this time is any different than before. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
He's blaming Hamas for starting the shooting this time around, not saying that theirs is a horrible position where the only winning move is not to play, except this time you've got someone practically forcing you to play.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

DemeaninDemon posted:

...There was a fireworks stand on the road I drive to work named Ill Eagle Fireworks. The sign had a sickly looking bird on it. Also flying the Gadsden flag.

To depict an eagle in any other state that peak health and doing anything other than having sex is probably technically unpatriotic.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

The-Mole posted:

There are actually a ton of people who took a bunch of acid, had religious experiences, and then became born-again Christians.

I went to high school with a couple people like this, and that was in the 90s.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

sleepingbuddha posted:

I went to high school with a couple people like this, and that was in the 90s.

A good chunk of the modern evangelical movement came out of the Jesus People group from the 60s.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Representative Renee Ellmers (R-GA) has advice for men on how to explain political issues so that women can understand them.

internalized misogyny posted:

“Men do tend to talk about things on a much higher level,” Ellmers said. “Many of my male colleagues, when they go to the House floor, you know, they’ve got some pie chart or graph behind them and they’re talking about trillions of dollars and how, you know, the debt is awful and, you know, we all agree with that.

First she’s saying that men (perhaps only Republican men) don’t know how to connect with people. Second, she’s saying people are too stupid to understand pie charts.

Ellmers then said that women mainly want more time in their lives (don’t men as well?) and the first example she gave was that women wanted “more time in the morning to get ready.”

As for connecting to women specifically, Ellmers drove it home with a line that, had there been liberals in the audience, would have made the news.

“We need our male colleagues to understand that if you can bring it down to a woman’s level and what everything that she is balancing in her life — that’s the way to go,” Ellmers said.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Did she add "Am I right, ladies?" after each line?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Pope Guilty posted:

Representative Renee Ellmers (R-GA) has advice for men on how to explain political issues so that women can understand them.

The comments are precious, I cannot wait for the 2016 cycle to really get rolling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Uh oh the Malevolent Spirit of Gender Treachery has abandoned Phyllis Schafly and found a new host.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Stupid people assuming everyone must be as dumb as they are thus making them the smartest in their group will never not make my day. They are beyond saving though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

zoux posted:

Uh oh the Malevolent Spirit of Gender Treachery has abandoned Phyllis Schafly and found a new host.

How can someone simultaneously believe that they are an inherently inferior female but also believe that they're qualified to hold an important government post(instead of an inherently superior male)?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Kanos posted:

How can someone simultaneously believe that they are an inherently inferior female but also believe that they're qualified to hold an important government post(instead of an inherently superior male)?

First thought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxcTDoE_Kbg#t=35

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Joementum posted:

Reminder: Kentucky is the state where last month the State Senate Majority Whip said that climate change is a hoax because Earth and Mars are the same temperature.

I know this is a page back but in looking into this I think I know what he meant.

He severely fumbled this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Mars#Solar_irradiance

quote:

Despite the absence of a time series for Martian global temperatures, K. I. Abdusamatov has proposed that "parallel global warmings" observed simultaneously on Mars and on Earth can only be a consequence of the same factor: a long-time change in solar irradiance." While some individuals who reject the science of global warming take this as proof that humans are not causing climate change, Abdusamatov's hypothesis has not been accepted by the scientific community. His assertions have not been published in the peer-reviewed literature, and have been dismissed by other scientists, who have stated that "the idea just isn't supported by the theory or by the observations" and that it "doesn't make physical sense." Other scientists have proposed that the observed variations are caused by irregularities in the orbit of Mars or a possible combination of solar and orbital effects.

Surprise, surprise, it's actually NOT accepted by academia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His statement was straight up "every scientist will tell you that Mars and Earth are the exact same temperature".

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Lightning Jim posted:

I know this is a page back but in looking into this I think I know what he meant.

He severely fumbled this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Mars#Solar_irradiance

Surprise, surprise, it's actually NOT accepted by academia.

Between this and the "abiotic oil" theory, I'm surprised that Republicans haven't been also using Lysenkoism and the New Chronology for arguments if they're so willing to believe Russian pseudoscience.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Y-Hat posted:

Good to see Joseph Gribble making an appearance after King of the Hill ended. :v:

Jimmy Haslam, owner of the Cleveland Browns, paid $92 million dollars in fines (aka "a cost of doing business" if you're massively big as his trucking company is) to prevent federal prosecution. And if that last name sounds familiar, that's because his brother is the governor of Tennessee, who probably had a part in the subsidy fraud of Pilot Flying J (which sounds less like a trucking company name and more like an anime title). Does TN have elections this year? Because if they do, I still see brother Haslam winning in a walk.
Pilot Flying J is not a trucking company, it is a chain of truck stops. The fraud was that Pilot J was setting up exclusion contracts with trucking companies so the company would only buy fuel at Pilot Js and get a 10 cent per gallon discount ... and then not actually giving the discount. Since a truck goes through 500 to 1000 gallons a week, that discount can add up quickly with a large fleet.

BTW: profit margin on a gallon of diesel is about 30 cents.

Pope Guilty posted:

Hey, let's get this right, she's from NC, not GA. My state :negative:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Bullshit, Schafly has not crumbled to dust so it must still inhabit her.

This means it has replicated :stare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a gender equivalent term for "Uncle Tom"?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CannonFodder posted:

Pilot Flying J is not a trucking company, it is a chain of truck stops. The fraud was that Pilot J was setting up exclusion contracts with trucking companies so the company would only buy fuel at Pilot Js and get a 10 cent per gallon discount ... and then not actually giving the discount. Since a truck goes through 500 to 1000 gallons a week, that discount can add up quickly with a large fleet.

Hey, let's get this right, she's from NC, not GA. My state :negative:

Any recent polls in her race vs Clay Aiken?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

zoux posted:

Is there a gender equivalent term for "Uncle Tom"?

Aunt Flo?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

zoux posted:

His statement was straight up "every scientist will tell you that Mars and Earth are the exact same temperature".

Right, but I think the point was that even if you correct for the guy mis-stating his argument rather dramatically, the argument he was probably referring to is also full of poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jackson Taus posted:

Right, but I think the point was that even if you correct for the guy mis-stating his argument rather dramatically, the argument he was probably referring to is also full of poo poo.

No I think the guy said exactly what he thinks.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Spiderfist Island posted:

Between this and the "abiotic oil" theory, I'm surprised that Republicans haven't been also using Lysenkoism and the New Chronology for arguments if they're so willing to believe Russian pseudoscience.

I vaguely knew of Lysenkoism, but the New Chronology is new to me. I've been meaning to do a history of science study, so adding in the subset of pseudoscience will make it both more entertaining as well as frustrating.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
This is kinda the group most likely to have already seen it, but some guy created a twitter bot that scrapes anonymous edits to wikipedia originating from Capitol Hill IP addresses. It hasn't been going long, but it's already grabbed some good ones.

Like somebody removing references to COINTELPRO being illegal under the guise of a "link being dead" instead of using any of the results from the first page of Google (I know some of these links are bad but one is also a .gov so it evens out).

Or somebody linking JFK's assassination to Castro based on no evidence.

It's pretty minor, but a nice little window into something I think we don't often consider as part of the political process.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013

Kanos posted:

Because THAT would be sexist.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Phobeste posted:

This is kinda the group most likely to have already seen it, but some guy created a twitter bot that scrapes anonymous edits to wikipedia originating from Capitol Hill IP addresses. It hasn't been going long, but it's already grabbed some good ones.

Like somebody removing references to COINTELPRO being illegal under the guise of a "link being dead" instead of using any of the results from the first page of Google (I know some of these links are bad but one is also a .gov so it evens out).

Or somebody linking JFK's assassination to Castro based on no evidence.

It's pretty minor, but a nice little window into something I think we don't often consider as part of the political process.

They've got some really bored interns in the Capitol.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CannonFodder posted:

What really got them though was that one of the customers they did this contract cheating with happened to be the US Government.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

You have no idea.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And so the destruction of the 200+ year old experiment in Federalism begins. Not with secession, but with the fracturing of the states; slicing off each segment of our Union by wealth and ethnicity, the enclaving of America with each little oligarch grabbing for his own fiefdom with the poor and middle class left with all of the unwanted portions, the Galting of America. Let the ending begin. Tech Investor Says Plan To Split California Headed For 2016 Ballot

quote:

Venture capitalist Timothy Draper's Six Californias initiative tweeted Monday that he planned to file the signatures Tuesday in Sacramento.

A spokesman for the campaign, Roger Salazar, told Reuters that that the initiative had gathered more than the roughly 808,000 signatures needed to place it on the November 2016 ballot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

radical meme posted:

And so the destruction of the 200+ year old experiment in Federalism begins. Not with secession, but with the fracturing of the states; slicing off each segment of our Union by wealth and ethnicity, the enclaving of America with each little oligarch grabbing for his own fiefdom with the poor and middle class left with all of the unwanted portions, the Galting of America. Let the ending begin. Tech Investor Says Plan To Split California Headed For 2016 Ballot

Ah yes, Timothy Draper. I've never seen a wiser man.

• Locked thread