Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Speaking of cool global funfacts, I learned yesterday that gift of health can actually cure disease! I think someone at some point told me that it couldn't, or didn't in dominions 3, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

Speaking of cool global funfacts, I learned yesterday that gift of health can actually cure disease! I think someone at some point told me that it couldn't, or didn't in dominions 3, or something.

GoH can cure literally anything on anything given enough time.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

GoH can cure literally anything on anything given enough time.

One of my commanders was diseased, limping and had lost both eyes before GoH healed him. I'm reluctant to send him back to the fray after walking that off like a champ.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 11, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Is there some spell/global involving massive earthquakes? I'm asking because in one of my games I've been basically destroyed by earthquakes reducing my provinces down to about 10% of their former population.

Edit:

I spend some time looking the available spells up and down, but I could've missed something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

Is there some spell/global involving massive earthquakes? I'm asking because in one of my games I've been basically destroyed by earthquakes reducing my provinces down to about 10% of their former population.

Edit:

I spend some time looking the available spells up and down, but I could've missed something.

Wishing for Armageddon causes what you see; is Pelagia in the game? If they are then the standard Pelagia endgame is to set up a wish engine and Armageddon the world into submission. Otherwise it's just some other nation with a strong Astral caster (probably pretender) being a dickbutt.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Even a single Armageddon is enough to badly damage blood economies. So it's worth it if you're facing that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Wishing for Armageddon causes what you see; is Pelagia in the game? If they are then the standard Pelagia endgame is to set up a wish engine and Armageddon the world into submission. Otherwise it's just some other nation with a strong Astral caster (probably pretender) being a dickbutt.

No, but a certain someone bragged about making a wish every turn, so I know who is nuking the world now. It's not Pelagia, but there's something fishy going on here.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

No, but a certain someone bragged about making a wish every turn, so I know who is nuking the world now. It's not Pelagia, but there's something fishy going on here.

Could have an alt site.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What does wishing for armageddon do again?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

amuayse posted:

What does wishing for armageddon do again?

Kills 20% of every provinces population and i believe makes a global damage roll for every/a lot of units??? Not so sure on this 2nd bit.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Could have an alt site.

Something fishy could be some other underwater nation with strong astral!

Isn't there some earth spell that does earthquakes (to just one province of course)? Or am I just getting Crumble mixed up with something else in my head...

E: Today I learned that the password signup thing on brainwrinkle doesn't handle punctuation well.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

I Love You! posted:

Yeah green dragon gets pasted early by skeles but is also a very safe battlecaster for actual army fights. Spamming sleep cloud with an N9 mage wrecks most sacred rushes or early armies with absolutely no risk and makes you really dangerous really fast.

Doesn't the sleep gas hit your own troops as well? How do you avoid that?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Excelsiortothemax posted:

In my inexpert opinion? Buffing precision, and/or having a mindless or undead front line.

Anyone with N9 has pretty easy access to at least two of those things.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 12, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Excelsiortothemax posted:

You mainly don't. If it's being used to stop a Sacred rush, you'll probably have masses more troops available to you, though, and the ones that aren't under Sleep Cloud can helpfully kick the gently caress out of whatever's coming your way.

Works better against some sacreds than others, mind, Ashdod's sacreds are vexing because they have high MR to start with, even before their mages start casually casting Antimagic.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
So I take it you would deploy in the backfield and hold max until you have to advance and potentially deploy high MR or undead troops up front?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GenericOverusedName posted:

Isn't there some earth spell that does earthquakes (to just one province of course)? Or am I just getting Crumble mixed up with something else in my head...

E: Today I learned that the password signup thing on brainwrinkle doesn't handle punctuation well.

Volcanic Eruption (aka Summon Volcano) is an F3E3 spell at Evo 9 for 15 fire gems that causes a Volcanic Eruption in the target province, killing 33% of the population.

LordLeckie posted:

Kills 20% of every provinces population and i believe makes a global damage roll for every/a lot of units??? Not so sure on this 2nd bit.

Armageddon creates a Volcanic Eruption in every province, killing 33% of the current pop. It also randomly hits about half the units in play with a small amount of damage, I think it's like 5 + drn AP or AN damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They buffed Armageddon? It was only 10% pop kill and 10% of all units took 10 AN damage in Dom3.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dis astranagant posted:

They buffed Armageddon? It was only 10% pop kill and 10% of all units took 10 AN damage in Dom3.

I was told Armageddon was a Volcanic Eruption in every province + approx half units in play get hit with a small amount of damage, I havn't actually tested it myself so its possible I was lied to.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GenericOverusedName posted:

Or it could be a fine gentleman with a magical carp wishing every turn for Armageddon! It could happen. :shrug:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

I was told Armageddon was a Volcanic Eruption in every province + approx half units in play get hit with a small amount of damage, I havn't actually tested it myself so its possible I was lied to.

Volcanic Eruption part is for sure (20% popkill) and you can verify it easily in tests. I've heard people say it's 8ap, 20an and all kinds of things in between. Appears to be about 1/5 chance of the damage hitting any particular guy. Suppose it could be ironed out in test with debug enabled but :effort:

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Stupid newbie question:

How do I counter air elementals? They're ethereal so normal weapons is a no-go, they're not undead nor demons and they're extremely fast and seemingly impossible to hit with ordinary spells. I was unlucky and a random stack spawned right on top of my army at the beginning stages of our last game and it completely and utterly destroyed me. I had to leave the province neutral for the entire game because I just couldn't figure out how to deal with them. I'm way dumb though, so I'm probably missing something perfectly obvious. Maybe you guys can help me figure it out?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Stupid newbie question:

How do I counter air elementals? They're ethereal so normal weapons is a no-go, they're not undead nor demons and they're extremely fast and seemingly impossible to hit with ordinary spells. I was unlucky and a random stack spawned right on top of my army at the beginning stages of our last game and it completely and utterly destroyed me. I had to leave the province neutral for the entire game because I just couldn't figure out how to deal with them. I'm way dumb though, so I'm probably missing something perfectly obvious. Maybe you guys can help me figure it out?

Dudes with magic weapons, spells that affect magical creatures only, spells in general.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
more air elementals.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Stupid newbie question:

Something at least as large as them, armed with magic weapons and lightning-resistant.

Bane Lord with a Storm Spool, Van/Tuatha type guy with a Ring of Lightning Resistance out of the box, whatever. That's enough to take out Lesser Air Elemental spam.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 14, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Stupid newbie question:

This is more or less the worst possible event you can get and you may as well give the province up for a loss. There are very few ways to cost-effectively fight air elementals and they are almost certainly not worth 1 province to fight.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Flaming Arrows will blap them with some losses.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
Seeking arrow to take out the mages leading them?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

fishhooked posted:

Seeking arrow to take out the mages leading them?

Aren't they illusionists and stealthed? If not yeah arrows or other remote assassin type stuff will work.

Air eles are also mindless so if you can bring enough chaff to survive the first turn you should be able to mind burn/soul slay off the mage(s) if you have S.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 15, 2014

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
That's a lot of good answers. Thanks!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do I fight a bunch of N9 Garmhirdings (Giant wolfmans) as MA Marignon?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
This looks cool, but i can't really commit to multiplayer games. Is this like civ, paradox games or total war where you can play singleplayer against the AI without missing any content or the true experience of the game?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Back To 99 posted:

This looks cool, but i can't really commit to multiplayer games. Is this like civ, paradox games or total war where you can play singleplayer against the AI without missing any content or the true experience of the game?

Not really. At least 90% of the stuff in the game is useless or pointless in single player

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

amuayse posted:

Flaming arrows crossbows put the hurt on most things, otherwise high damage single target fire/astral battlemagic can work, attempt to assassinte their bless caster(s) or otherwise take them out with things like a flanking group of heavy cav.

Back To 99 posted:

Not at all unfortunately, the breadth and depth of the game is far beyond the AI.

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 15, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

amuayse posted:

Lots and lots and lots and lots of Flaming Arrows.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Back To 99 posted:

This depends on personal preference. Plenty of people play this game singleplayer only.

I would say if you can play civ singleplayer you can play this singleplayer as well. Personally I get bored of both real quick in singleplayer because AI are boring to play against whether you win or lose.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Back To 99 posted:

It's a rather low commitment multiplayer game. Most turn take about from 2 to 20 minutes to play and you usually get only 1 a day.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Absum posted:

This depends on personal preference. Plenty of people play this game singleplayer only.

I would say if you can play civ singleplayer you can play this singleplayer as well. Personally I get bored of both real quick in singleplayer because AI are boring to play against whether you win or lose.

Well, the main issue with Dom over Civ singleplayer is that the "tech tree" in dom4 really has no use against an opponent that is also not teching (which the CPU doesn't know how to do intelligently and probably never could). On top of that since the CPU doesn't do much outside of mass basic troops and attack everywhere, you basically are forced into playing the game in a specific way that supercedes most of the fun stuff you actually might bother doing.

The game is also hella not balanced for single player and most of the spells won't do ANYTHING to a computer one way or another.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

But it when the game is in offer (50%-75%), that's cheap enough to have it and have some fun playing against the AI (even if after the first 5 games, the AI is truly lacking). They game is cool as poo poo in the themes and the variety it has, so it can be enjoyable just playing it against some AI punching bags.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

amuayse posted:

It's a rather low commitment multiplayer game. Most turn take about from 2 to 20 minutes to play and you usually get only 1 a day.

Yeah, i work and im studying at university as well as all the other stuff that goes with daily life and dominions takes no time at all, it can be done in less time than reading your emails early game and late game the most time consuming thing is just talking to the other players and fine tuning your movements rather than sweating over the art of war for 5 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

amuayse posted:

I just don't find this to be true at all. My first MP game after the first 25 turns I was taking an hour per turn easily, (two-thirds diplomacy one-third movement); and for the final 20 turns or so at least two and maybe three hours. For this reason I've not really been interested in playing another one, especially given that saxophone made it very clear quite how far removed I am from being even approximately good at the game. I don't know, maybe some decisions become more automatic with practice, but I certainly don't have anything like time to play the game regularly at the amount of effort it takes me.

• Locked thread