Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I was looking at old Wrestlemanias and I remember the crowd for WM9 seeming really small. Caesar's Palace only has a capacity of like 4500, doesn't it? What were they thinking with that venue?

On that note, I read some attendance stats for more recent WMs, and for some reason it seems like attendance skyrocketed after Wrestlemania 22's meager 17,000 and stayed up around 75-80,000 from WM23 on. What changed in that year?

They simply started running huge stadiums every single year instead of NHL/NBA arenas starting with 23.

WMIX's official live attendance figure is 16,891, which even if exaggerated gives it a solid arena sized crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

The WWF also was well compensated by Caesar's Palace to run there. Also, it wasn't the hall that they run boxing out of but a purpose built, temporary arena (in the parking lot I believe)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How did Scott Steiner get injured before his Wwe run?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

maxallen posted:

The WWF also was well compensated by Caesar's Palace to run there. Also, it wasn't the hall that they run boxing out of but a purpose built, temporary arena (in the parking lot I believe)

I don't even think Caesar's has an actual boxing hall. They usually ran outdoor events in the parking lots.

sticklefifer posted:

I was looking at old Wrestlemanias and I remember the crowd for WM9 seeming really small. Caesar's Palace only has a capacity of like 4500, doesn't it? What were they thinking with that venue?

I think you're thinking of the Colosseum at Caesar's, and that wasn't built a decade after WMIX.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If I was going to have some people over to drink beers and watch fightmans and wanted it to be in theme, what is the best Summer Slam we could watch?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If I was going to have some people over to drink beers and watch fightmans and wanted it to be in theme, what is the best Summer Slam we could watch?

SummerSlam 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Summerslam 2002 is really good

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Summerslam 2013 was pretty great, too.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

2000 is really really good. Also 2013, which was a pretty great event.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oatgan posted:

Summerslam 2002 is really good

This is the answer

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The Austin/Angle title match at Summerslam 01 is awesome. You also get to see DDP.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It was held outdoors at Caesar's Palace and the claimed attendance was 17K.

e: wrong page

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was just reading the thread about the latest RAW and someone mentioned that Sting has never been in the WWE/F? I remember watching matches with blonde surfer Sting as a kid on regular TV but I do not remember it being WCW at all.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well it was so remember better.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lodin posted:

I was just reading the thread about the latest RAW and someone mentioned that Sting has never been in the WWE/F? I remember watching matches with blonde surfer Sting as a kid on regular TV but I do not remember it being WCW at all.

It probably was an early Clash of the Champions.

Sting wrestled in the CWA, moved to UWF which became part of JCP, and then stayed with them as they became WCW all the way until the end. After that he never really did anything important until signing sone deal with WWE this year.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well then I've watched a bunch of WCW as a kid while just remembering it as WWF. Those are the only two promotions that have been on TV over here. That's kinda cool actually. I know I saw him in matches against Frank Andersson and Vader.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

After that he never really did anything important until signing sone deal with WWE this year.

best redaction of a chunk of a career ever.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

AkumaHokoru posted:

best redaction of a chunk of a career ever.

Better than when Kevin Nash left WWE, died, and came back as a Kevin Nash zombie to powerbomb CM Punk some guy?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

On that note, I read some attendance stats for more recent WMs, and for some reason it seems like attendance skyrocketed after Wrestlemania 22's meager 17,000 and stayed up around 75-80,000 from WM23 on. What changed in that year?

Their mindset after WM 19 was that Wrestlemania needed to be in a major city and didn't feel like they could/should run outdoor stadiums in places like New York, Chicago or LA. They started to realize it wasn't the fault of Seattle not being a big enough city for WM that caused WM 19 to flop and began running domes and outdoor stadiums. Granted none of those shows are actually getting crowds of 75-80,000.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

Better than when Kevin Nash left WWE, died, and came back as a Kevin Nash zombie to powerbomb CM Punk some guy?

ok 2nd best redaction of a career holy poo poo.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

chris benoit

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

oatgan posted:

chris benoit

I've never heard of this man.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Stallion Cabana posted:

I've never heard of this man.

Unfortunately this is exactly what the WWE is going for.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Are you referring to Crispin Wah?

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

This is an extremely specific and probably very boring question, but I'm in the midst of a territories/WWF history binge and I wanted to know what the oldest nationally broadcast WWF show is? I know they've had syndicated shows on network affiliates since forever, but what was their first show that would be seen everywhere the way World Championship Wrestling (the show, not the promotion) was seen? Wikipedia is really horrible and contradictory with early wrestling stuff.

Burt Buckle fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 15, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Their syndicated shows had pretty wide distribution, but if you don't count those or Black Saturday the answer would almost certainly have to be Saturday Night's Main Event which began in 1986.

EDIT:Uh, listen to MRP and not me on wrestling history stuff

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 15, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Burt Buckle posted:

This is an extremely specific and probably very boring question, but I'm in the midst of a territories/WWF history binge and I wanted to know what the oldest nationally broadcast WWF show is? I know they've had syndicated shows on network affiliates since forever, but what was their first show that would be seen everywhere the way World Championship Wrestling (the show, not the promotion) was seen? Wikipedia is really horrible and contradictory with early wrestling stuff.

Their first show was Heavyweight Wrestling from Washington. The McMahon obsession with big men dates back to the beginning!

Edit: I am not sure how I made that mistake. The first nationally televised show I am pretty sure was All American Wrestling.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Thauros posted:

Their syndicated shows had pretty wide distribution, but if you don't count those or Black Saturday the answer would almost certainly have to be Saturday Night's Main Event which began in 1986.

That seems to be what I can find (both about having a big syndication network and Sat Night Main Event), it's just crazy to think that some NWA Georgia Promotion had them beat by ten years or however long.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Who showed up on TV with the worst orange spray tan?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: I am not sure how I made that mistake. The first nationally televised show I am pretty sure was All American Wrestling.

Ok, You're probably the most knowledgeable guy regarding wrestling history on here, more info please? Not familiar with that one.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who showed up on TV with the worst orange spray tan?

Christian or Miz, probably.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Christian has looked like a Simpsons character for like 3 years or more.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Ok, You're probably the most knowledgeable guy regarding wrestling history on here, more info please? Not familiar with that one.

All American was their first show on USA, it was the A show at first but by the time Raw came around it was mostly irrelevant. I think this is the show that Vince used the gimmick of having other promoters send their tapes in for "exposure." In reality he was using those tapes to help scout his talent raid and expose to the public how much better his production values were.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

All American was their first show on USA, it was the A show at first but by the time Raw came around it was mostly irrelevant. I think this is the show that Vince used the gimmick of having other promoters send their tapes in for "exposure." In reality he was using those tapes to help scout his talent raid and expose to the public how much better his production values were.

Oh duh, that one. The name's generic enough it slipped my mind and I was thinking it was something from before my time. I also erroneously assumed it was another syndicated show like Superstars.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I wasn't watching at the time and Wikipedia offers no help. Why did noted Ohioan Brian Pillman end up in the anti-American Hart Foundation stable with Bret and Owen and such? Was it just "He hates Austin more than he loves America"?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

So I wasn't watching at the time and Wikipedia offers no help. Why did noted Ohioan Brian Pillman end up in the anti-American Hart Foundation stable with Bret and Owen and such? Was it just "He hates Austin more than he loves America"?

He was Dungeon trained.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I Before E posted:

He was Dungeon trained.

We should have had a Hart Dungeon vs Dungeon of Doom feud at some point.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Thauros posted:

Oh duh, that one. The name's generic enough it slipped my mind and I was thinking it was something from before my time. I also erroneously assumed it was another syndicated show like Superstars.
By the 90's it pretty much was. It was usually matches from Superstars and Challenge with different commentary.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

What exactly is skinning the cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

A wrestler is thrown over the top rope, but holds onto the top as he's falling out, hangs by the rope outside the ring with his body suspended toward the floor, then curls himself up backwards and back over top of the rope.