Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ninjasaurus posted:

The women sharing that image almost assuredly do not fit this description.

That's pretty much it. Everyone who's shared the 'real women are curvy' sort of thing on my facebook like to say they're curvy but they're more like an overstuffed dumpling on legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
The curves are supposed to go inwards, not outwards.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Apogee15 posted:

Come on though, it's just displaying a nice sentiment. You're basically just going "having nice sentiments doesn't actually help anything, you must either physically help out or shut up" and it's really stupid imo. What harm are they doing? How is what they are doing by sharing that doing ANYTHING bad? All it does is show some solidarity. "We are behind treating these people like everyone else".

It's like if someone says something like "I support the LGBT cause" and someone goes "No you don't, because you aren't actually spending your time doing anything to support it". Nothing wrong with just stating your support for a cause, even if you aren't actually doing anything.

Speaking as a disabled person... I just don't like it 'cause it's sickeningly twee glurge, like a Special Moments figurine with jpeg artifacts.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Speaking as a disabled person... I just don't like it 'cause it's sickeningly twee glurge, like a Special Moments figurine with jpeg artifacts.

Not only that, but the focus seems more to be "Hey look at how nice I am for supporting people" than an attempt to spread any sort of awareness for the actual problems of the vaguely disabled.

You've also got to question the motives of a page called "National Solutions Magazine".

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"shan't" is a perfectly valid thing to say, sorry you colonials have no class.

Just like m'lady.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Goddamn, I found the biggest garbage dump on Facebook.

From "I hete feeling like i,m never good enough."

brain.centipedes
Feb 6, 2010
I've learned my lesson. I shan't ever say "shan't" again!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Finally have some content! Red is an online friend of mine, I'm Green. Blue is a dude, Yellow is a woman, and they might be married or related (same last name). Conversation is still ongoing.

It's me, I'm the idiot for talking to people. When I talked to Red in private just now she mentions she's from the Bible Belt, and added:

quote:

These two live in Tennessee, which... You're familiar with the kkk?

Yellow also has a Bible quote as her cover image.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

no they loving shouldn't

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What's even with CrossFit? I don't know much about them other than that they're supposedly an awful service for body training?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Segmentation Fault posted:

What's even with CrossFit? I don't know much about them other than that they're supposedly an awful service for body training?

It's only as good as the coaching. Properly coached it's a decent fitness program.

The problem is people (and gyms) try to sell it as a whole culture and people get really into it, talking about it incessantly etc.

Many people I've found who are like that go on and on about the gym/ community aspects of it and my 1st thought is "oh you've never actually played a team sport in your life have you?"

Taye Diggs
Aug 12, 2013

Holla at yo boy

Breaky posted:

It's only as good as the coaching. Properly coached it's a decent fitness program.

except that it's almost never properly coached due to the non-existent quality control, and beyond that it shoehorns highly technical exercises - which are poorly taught/monitored - into completely randomized routines. So even ignoring the cult nonsense, it's an unbelievably irresponsible program

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I scanned over this real quick and thought the girl in the first image was Shrek.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

I can't stop laughing at this. This has to be parody.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

M_Sinistrari posted:

That's pretty much it. Everyone who's shared the 'real women are curvy' sort of thing on my facebook like to say they're curvy but they're more like an overstuffed dumpling on legs.

You don't loving talk about dumplings that way!

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

:sigh:

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

hahaha beautiful. How old would she even be now?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not catching the reference there, what's the deal with the little girl?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
What's the deal? Do they think she's a cyborg or a wizard or something that put a hex on the Portuguese team?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

She's Madeleine McCann.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That's Madeline McCann, a toddler who went missing after her parents left her alone in a Portuguese hotel room. Ever since, the UK's nancy grace equivalents like the Mail and the Express have been breathlessly reporting each and every detail of the case in lieu of actual news.

It has been like five, six years.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If it's okay with you guys and gals, I'm going to go ahead and keep believing they think she's a wizard.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

thunderspanks posted:

hahaha beautiful. How old would she even be now?

She'd be 11. I admit I am absolutely terrible at judging kids' ages but that girl does not look 11.
And according to Google there are still rather frequent news updates being made about her, she disappeared in 2007.

edit: apparently people were actually questioned in Portugal too recently http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/02/world/europe/portugal-uk-madeleine-mccann-mystery/

what if she is a wizard :ohdear:

RainbowCake has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jul 15, 2014

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

It involves you working so hard you piss muscle fiber, which is seen as a good thing.

Teddybear posted:

That's Madeline McCann, a toddler who went missing after her parents left her alone in a Portuguese hotel room. Ever since, the UK's nancy grace equivalents like the Mail and the Express have been breathlessly reporting each and every detail of the case in lieu of actual news.

It has been like five, six years.

2007. She's the world champion of hide-and-seek!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

KoldPT posted:

She's the world champion of hide-and-seek!
Pfft, not even close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4upY8UWrsU

Folly
May 26, 2010

KoldPT posted:

It involves you working so hard you piss muscle fiber, which is seen as a good thing.

This should probably be clarified.

I've never done Crossfit, so I don't have much bias here, but it doesn't seem as bad as that. In most workout plans, your mental ability to push yourself is exhausted far faster than your body's ability to be pushed. Crossfit looks like it uses social pressure to get your brain to push harder. For a subset of people who are particularly vulnerable to social pressure, this can cause them to push themselves way too hard or try something stupidly risky and get hurt. For everyone else, it's just a group workout with some advantages and disadvantages over any group workout. But it's not inherently dangerous.

But to get that social pressure working, the gyms have to hype it up to the point where its adherents are almost evangelical about it. This is why we make fun of it. Because a certain percentage of the people who do it absolutely won't shut up about it.

:sigh: I just wish that the social media stupidity on my feed was entertaining. But no, it's just ordinary stupidity. Oh look, one of my wife's relatives just discovered Instagram. Time to post dozens of photos with various filters.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Folly posted:

This should probably be clarified.

I've never done Crossfit, so I don't have much bias here, but it doesn't seem as bad as that. In most workout plans, your mental ability to push yourself is exhausted far faster than your body's ability to be pushed. Crossfit looks like it uses social pressure to get your brain to push harder. For a subset of people who are particularly vulnerable to social pressure, this can cause them to push themselves way too hard or try something stupidly risky and get hurt. For everyone else, it's just a group workout with some advantages and disadvantages over any group workout. But it's not inherently dangerous.

Doing the most complex movements in weightlifting for time, with reps counting much more than form, is inherently dangerous. Modifying the form of common exercises, like pull ups, so that you can do more of them is also inherently dangerous. Those are the two things upon which crossfit is built.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Folly posted:

But to get that social pressure working, the gyms have to hype it up to the point where its adherents are almost evangelical about it.

I'm wondering if Zumba's that way since I've got someone on my facebook who's always raving about it to the point where she does a countdown until her Zumba session and when she recently went rappelling was crowing about her Zumba skills were a big help.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Folly posted:

:sigh: I just wish that the social media stupidity on my feed was entertaining. But no, it's just ordinary stupidity. Oh look, one of my wife's relatives just discovered Instagram. Time to post dozens of photos with various filters.

I saw a screenshot with a filter posted recently. That's just weird. I know you didn't take that screenshot with an old timey camera. You know that I know. Why pretend?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Holy gently caress. That's some straight up police-state poo poo. I bet the poster is a 'Freedom-loving American' too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

...no it's not.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, but then this will happen. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eT_ozRq6cM

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

FrozenVent posted:

...no it's not.

Well, it was. That's the HMP Weare. It was a british prison hulk that was decomissioned and sold off in 2005. It's a floating dormitory for oil tanker workers now (and that's also what it was built for in the first place).

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Holy gently caress. That's some straight up police-state poo poo. I bet the poster is a 'Freedom-loving American' too.

Welcome to the Tea Party! :911:

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm wondering if Zumba's that way since I've got someone on my facebook who's always raving about it to the point where she does a countdown until her Zumba session and when she recently went rappelling was crowing about her Zumba skills were a big help.
My kickboxing gym is definitely that way. I enjoy the workout or else I wouldn't still go but their facebook group can push into uncomfortable "conform or die" territory.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Esmerelda posted:

My kickboxing gym is definitely that way. I enjoy the workout or else I wouldn't still go but their facebook group can push into uncomfortable "conform or die" territory.

Best I understand it, Zumba's just aerobics under a different label same as Jazzercise and Dancersise was. I'm not sure why it's got some so insanely fired up over it because I don't remember aerobics getting that same insanity. I can see it with Crossfit because of how much they push.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It has a foreign sounding name which in the exercise industry is a huge boost.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I have a lot of people into Soulcycle. They post about Soulcycle constantly yet I still have no idea what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Esmerelda posted:

It wouldn't happen to be CKO would it? I've been going for a while because it is a great workout, but beyond that it almost feels like a bit of a cult mentality with some of the people.

• Locked thread