Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
my job wish list:

less beatings
fewer open sores
more money

pick two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

gently caress them posted:

I'm starting to wonder is this is a part of the webdev growth experience. Do you take side projects, change direction, or just embrace the lazy?

Because holy poo poo is there some lazy where I work.

just embrace it or switch to another field and realize it's the same everywhere

my current job is varying ups and downs. sometimes working until 8pm, sometimes leaving at 4

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

idk my job is web and i've been really amazed by how hard everyone is working all the time. either that or they're all much smarter than me and do things 20x faster (also possible)

My last job actually had project management so we got poo poo done, but it was mostly just running plumbing/wiring type poo poo. Beep boop match biz objects to your well normalized DB based on what you need for what the user is going to do, basically clone your viewmodels accordingly; set up some CRUD for getting data in and out with WCF. Maybe you might do some actual logic that isn't just validation, maybe not, sometimes workflows actually have branching, woo hoo!

The only hard part really was profiling stuff and "oh, that's right, async is a thing, and we can cache" when AJAX started being stupidly slow, finding a bug in jQuery that one time and trying to take a concept and make a view out of it. The rest was just beep-boop all the way up and down. Knockout made a lot of the UI side easy.

I got pleasure out of the fact that I got stuff done, but in terms of "programming" it was mostly unleashing the libraries someone else wrote.

MeruFM posted:

just embrace it or switch to another field and realize it's the same everywhere

my current job is varying ups and downs. sometimes working until 8pm, sometimes leaving at 4

OTOH yeah, you get good at what you do while other things look interesting.

What the hell actually STAYS hard besides debugging?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Brain Candy posted:

find another job because your current one isn't going to make you any better. or suck forever, that's doable I guess

the irony is that it seems very hard to find a job where you can have healthy career growth while staying technologically current.

seems you either put 80hrs in at a start up or clock out at 4:30pm maintaining some 10 year old legacy app

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

syntaxrigger posted:

the irony is that it seems very hard to find a job where you can have healthy career growth while staying technologically current.

seems you either put 80hrs in at a start up or clock out at 4:30pm maintaining some 10 year old legacy app
do some more searching, maybe look further afield. the biotech i joined a month back
  • has me working on my own project,
  • with incredibly reasonable milestones,
  • meaning flexible hours and little to no overtime
  • using cool tech,
  • with good pay and friendly coworkers
  • and my work will - if all goes well - actually help people wooo
and what's more, this is my first software job after 9 months unemployed. i think i got very lucky, but to a certain extent you can enable that luck by being v promiscuous. i interviewed with ~20 places in the two months before accepting this offer, and the other ~19 all set off alarm bells at some point or other.

e: i think the root reason this company's so good is everyone is that it's a spinoff of a successfully startup, so everyone is in their late 30s/early 40s and has already had their big payday. makes for a v relaxed atmosphere

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 15, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my worst fear with working in the medical video field is that instead of working on open sores i'll have to actually look at open sores

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

coffeetable posted:

do some more searching, maybe look further afield. the biotech i joined a month back
  • has me working on my own project,
  • with incredibly reasonable milestones,
  • meaning flexible hours and little to no overtime
  • using cool tech,
  • with good pay and friendly coworkers
  • and my work will - if all goes well - actually help people wooo
and what's more, this is my first software job after 9 months unemployed. i think i got very lucky, but to a certain extent you can enable that luck by being v promiscuous. i interviewed with ~20 places in the two months before accepting this offer, and the other ~19 all set off alarm bells at some point or other.

e: i think the root reason this company's so good is everyone is that it's a spinoff of a successfully startup, so everyone is in their late 30s/early 40s and has already had their big payday. makes for a v relaxed atmosphere

what kind of work do you actually do there

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Dessert Rose posted:

what kind of work do you actually do there
about all i can say without blowing an NDA is that it's a bit of machine learning for medical diagnostics. they got a pathfinder grant for an idea the CTO had and ive been brought on to explore it because he can't take time away from their main product.

(so its not really "my own project" but the lack of supervision makes it feel that way)

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 15, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I've never used SQL in my life and just spent all day learning to make a lovely webapp to store rock paper scissors games in SQLite

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ShadowHawk posted:

I've never used SQL in my life and just spent all day learning to make a lovely webapp to store rock paper scissors games in SQLite

the all-capital-letters thing you see in sql feels like a robot is shouting at you, but it's a good thing to learn. the stuff is everywhere, and awfully useful

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

prefect posted:

the all-capital-letters thing you see in sql feels like a robot is shouting at you, but it's a good thing to learn. the stuff is everywhere, and awfully useful

u actually don't need to capitalize keywords in sql

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

sql is fine for what it is until you hit scaling issues and have to port your entire backend of a production app to something better

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Malcolm XML posted:

i know, but it seems to be the standard thing in documentation, so i do it anyways :shrug:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Malcolm XML posted:

it helps

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i didn't capitalize my keywords for assembly and I'm not gonna start now

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just put the keyword on its own line and then u dont need to worry about caps

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

no

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Squinty Applebottom posted:

sql is fine for what it is until you hit scaling issues and have to port your entire backend of a production app to something better

lol

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
*mysql is sloooow* *ports to mongo*

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what about this hadoop thing? what is the best 'base?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

unless you're literally serving a million simultaneous connections your scaling issues are not caused by sql. and even then you can trivially shard it into a rw master and ro replicas.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Shaggar posted:

so what is a delegate? Delegates are what separates c# from the uncivilized heathens of dynamic garbolangs. delegates are sort of like function pointers but way better because they are type safe.

ok so whats the diff between this and first class/anonymous functions that I know of from js? other than the type checking

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BONGHITZ posted:

what about this hadoop thing? what is the best 'base?

Oracle. Give Larry your money.

Unlike whatever cheap garbage all the brokeass start-ups are using right now, it will be here today, tomorrow, and forever.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

lol

MY SQL ISN'T SCALING! REDEPLOY TO PERL!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

KARMA! posted:

ok so whats the diff between this and first class/anonymous functions that I know of from js? other than the type checking

doesn't js have a lot of weird scoping issues?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coffeetable posted:

about all i can say without blowing an NDA is that it's a bit of machine learning for medical diagnostics. they got a pathfinder grant for an idea the CTO had and ive been brought on to explore it because he can't take time away from their main product.

(so its not really "my own project" but the lack of supervision makes it feel that way)

are you me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do we work together, coffeetable?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

KARMA! posted:

delegates are function pointers++.

idk how js does it so I couldn't compare.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

do we work together, coffeetable?

do you work in the north of England, y/n?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nope

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

AlsoD posted:

doesn't js have a lot of weird scoping issues?

i recently tried to write a small thing in javascript and i can confirm it has weird scoping issues

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

whats a good spring mvc tutorial the ones on spring.io want me to build a rest service or consume some soap

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

then you're safe

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

whats a good spring mvc tutorial the ones on spring.io want me to build a rest service or consume some soap

i learned spring mvc from the spring manual and that was ok. if you're already familiar with spring, the only thing you need to understand is @RequestMapping. not that there isn't a lot more to spring mvc, and if you learn it my way you'll come back to your early projects and cringe, but if you understand @RequestMapping you can do a thing with spring mvc and pick up the rest as you go

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
shaggar those effortposts about LINQ/lambda kicked rear end thx

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Careful Drums posted:

shaggar those effortposts about LINQ/lambda kicked rear end thx

same but unironically

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

if you learn it my way you'll come back to your early projects and cringe

i'm pretty sure i've cringed at my early projects no matter how i learned things :downs:

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

my stepdads beer posted:

Yeah the manual is way better than the tutorials. @RequestMapping, @Controller, and component scan is the basic basic stuff.

If you need to serve lots of representations, you might need to start messing around with MessageConverters, but the most common ones (JSON via Jackson, XML via JAXB) are totally automatic.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Unrelated, I remember seeing projects similar to FPM but can't remember their names. Is there another, easier way to make debs/rpms? I need to package some things that are only distributed as source tarballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

prefect posted:

i'm pretty sure i've cringed at my early projects no matter how i learned things :downs:

if you can look at 6 month old code and not cringe it mean you stop growing as a develop

• Locked thread