Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a question:
What are we to believe that the Enterprise iced at the end of "Time's Arrow"? The Devidians are no longer a threat? They killed them all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jago posted:

I have a question:
What are we to believe that the Enterprise iced at the end of "Time's Arrow"? The Devidians are no longer a threat? They killed them all?

As with most other things, STO milked the Devidians too.

(Those were actually some pretty cool and creepy missions, though)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I always thought they should've made everyone bar the young characters like 20 or 30 percent older, just as a tiny hint that in the future, medicine keeps you younger and living longer and you look and feel like today's 50 when you're 80.

I suppose they got that effect accidentally when P-stew turned out to be an immortal.

The idea had been considered, the series bible described Picard as being in his "youthful 70s" and I believe they made occasional mention of people having an average lifespan of like 130.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

As with most other things, STO milked the Devidians too.

(Those were actually some pretty cool and creepy missions, though)

BONNIE-KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

McSpanky posted:

The idea had been considered, the series bible described Picard as being in his "youthful 70s" and I believe they made occasional mention of people having an average lifespan of like 130.

Yeah, McCoy is almost 140 years old at the time of the TNG movies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True, but ultimately McCoy being 140 was about the only sign we saw of it in the end, and he didn't really look like he'd aged slower, more like he'd just been too stubborn to die.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

True, but ultimately McCoy being 140 was about the only sign we saw of it in the end, and he didn't really look like he'd aged slower, more like he'd just been too stubborn to die.

From Sperg Alpha:

Sperg Alpha posted:

The average Human life span had gradually increased during their history. the average life spans during the 22nd century was about 100 years (ENT: "Observer Effect"). This average age was still roughly the same during the 2250, but had risen to 120 by the mid-24th century.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MikeJF posted:

I always thought they should've made everyone bar the young characters like 20 or 30 percent older, just as a tiny hint that in the future, medicine keeps you younger and living longer and you look and feel like today's 50 when you're 80.

I suppose they got that effect accidentally when P-stew turned out to be an immortal.

Stewart nothing, Shatner's gonna be pushing 90 before too long and still looking 50 as he cavorts on stage singing "gently caress You".

davestones
May 7, 2009
Can someone explain attack patterns to me whenever ships go to fight? Like, how the hell can one ship have attack pattern delta or omega or whatever. You need more than one for a shape :mad:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
It's more than just a shape, it's a predetermined set of complex maneuvers. Sisko implies that Attack Pattern Omega is rocking the ship back and forth while approaching on a parabolic trajectory to the target.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Stewart nothing, Shatner's gonna be pushing 90 before too long and still looking 50 as he cavorts on stage singing "gently caress You".

A 50 year old orange maybe.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Data Graham posted:

Ehhhhhhh, Shatner does look really old, he's just trying desperately to cover it up. Stewart has owned his age, much as he owned his baldness. Being a big fat guy probably helps Shatner a bit, too, since his face simply hasn't leaned out into "cadaverously gaunt" as did Stewart's.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gau posted:

It's more than just a shape, it's a predetermined set of complex maneuvers. Sisko implies that Attack Pattern Omega is rocking the ship back and forth while approaching on a parabolic trajectory to the target.

Whenever I hear "attack pattern _____" in Star Trek I pretend I'm watching a different show for a few seconds.

It's like loving Gun Kata. Yes let's fly in a predetermined pattern because statistics show that that is where the enemy won't fire or something.

And I sure hope they don't crack our codes and learn what those predetermined flight paths are, oh well, engage

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I figured it would be a phaser bank configuration or something, not just a flight plan.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think it'd have to be Chef, because then I would never have to see the guy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah but then you have to keep repolishing the backs of your chairs. I hear Chef's not as limber as he used to be.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would pick Mayweather because he never talks and also because I'm a perv.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The dude who was actually a time-traveler from the distant future sounds like a pretty chill guy. He's got that nifty holographic computer system!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Whenever I hear "attack pattern _____" in Star Trek I pretend I'm watching a different show for a few seconds.

It's like loving Gun Kata. Yes let's fly in a predetermined pattern because statistics show that that is where the enemy won't fire or something.

And I sure hope they don't crack our codes and learn what those predetermined flight paths are, oh well, engage

The only thing I can think of when I hear "Attack Pattern _____" is how in a Defiant-class ship "attack pattern delta" is apparently "do a loop-de-loop."

Edit: I never even thought about this until this very second but has anybody over at Memory Alpha ever actually collected all the "attack patterns" and whty they might actually do?

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 15, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I would assume that there's a certain degree of randomness built in to avoid that.

Also, rapid analysis during battle and exploitation of said analysis is not something that anybody on Star Trek has ever done ever.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Kibayasu posted:

The only thing I can think of when I hear "Attack Pattern _____" is how in a Defiant-class ship "attack pattern delta" is apparently "do a loop-de-loop."

Edit: I never even thought about this until this very second but has anybody over at Memory Alpha ever actually collected all the "attack patterns" and whty they might actually do?

I'm pretty sure I remember an episode of TNG where "attack pattern [whatever]" turned out to be "very slowly drift to the left a little bit".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wowbagger2004 posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember an episode of TNG where "attack pattern [whatever]" turned out to be "very slowly drift to the left a little bit".

I think that was attack pattern Riker-Alpha and Riker-Beta.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

They sort of make sense as preset energy management routines. Just standard starfleet versions of the goofy sisko-1 type programs they always make.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Dynamite Dog posted:

They sort of make sense as preset energy management routines. Just standard starfleet versions of the goofy sisko-1 type programs they always make.
If I remember the week I gave the game a shot, Star Trek Online made attack patterns exactly this; attack pattern delta, for example, might boost rear shields, lower thruster efficiency, and give extra aiming range to rear phasers. I may be mistaken and be thinking of something else though.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

The fact that I've recently started playing STO may have had something to do with my opinion.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Whalley posted:

If I remember the week I gave the game a shot, Star Trek Online made attack patterns exactly this; attack pattern delta, for example, might boost rear shields, lower thruster efficiency, and give extra aiming range to rear phasers. I may be mistaken and be thinking of something else though.

Most of them are just straight Buff/Debuffs, Omega does add a little Engine power and invulnerability to holds as well as extra damage.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The whole buff/debuff thing in MMO's is pretty stupid because there's pretty much no reason why you wouldn't want to activate those buffs all the time. It would be cool if say Attack Pattern Beta-Gamma was something like, intertial dampening forcefields strap everyone down to their consoles for 30 seconds allowing the ship to perform 100g maneuvers without painting the bulkheads red and green with the remains of the crew members. The disadvantage is that you pretty much can't do anything else while this is in effect because your crew can't even press the buttons on their consoles while this is happening.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 15, 2014

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Careful, you don't want to make an MMO interesting or worthwhile.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Data or Riker. Data because his efforts to become human would provide weekly hilarity (and maybe I could help), plus he'd be scrupulously clean; Riker so we could go to bars and hang out.

e: wait, gently caress, specified Enterprise. T'Pol because :pervert: and I haven't watched much.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Riker is the best character on Enterprise.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Riker is the best character on Enterprise.

I read gud :pseudo:

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

razorrozar posted:

I read gud :pseudo:

No I meant that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BnBlgLR0YU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I always thought attack patterns were like (american) football plays.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fister Roboto posted:

I always thought attack patterns were like (american) football plays.

You need more than one ship for that though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

razorrozar posted:

Data or Riker. Data because his efforts to become human would provide weekly hilarity (and maybe I could help), plus he'd be scrupulously clean; Riker so we could go to bars and hang out.

e: wait, gently caress, specified Enterprise. T'Pol because :pervert: and I haven't watched much.

Did you just say you'd turn your college roommate into the "token hot chick" with overtones of wanting to bang them?

This took a strange turn.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did you just say you'd turn your college roommate into the "token hot chick" with overtones of wanting to bang them?

This took a strange turn.

I have literally seen like 2 episodes of Enterprise and I was like 15. That colors my recollection. T'Pol is the only one I can even remember the appearance of.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

razorrozar posted:

You need more than one ship for that though.

Or a ship that splits into smaller ships. :science:

edit: Unrelated, but too funny to not share.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 16, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Subyng posted:

The whole buff/debuff thing in MMO's is pretty stupid because there's pretty much no reason why you wouldn't want to activate those buffs all the time. It would be cool if say Attack Pattern Beta-Gamma was something like, intertial dampening forcefields strap everyone down to their consoles for 30 seconds allowing the ship to perform 100g maneuvers without painting the bulkheads red and green with the remains of the crew members. The disadvantage is that you pretty much can't do anything else while this is in effect because your crew can't even press the buttons on their consoles while this is happening.

I figure the cooldown on those special abilities is a literal cooldown, as in "temporarily overpowering the system generates massive excess heat/charge and now you have to wait 30 seconds before blowing it out". The wall panels were always exploding on the Enterprise-D because Picard never had any patience for engineering safety tolerances.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think Star Trek is probably the only science fiction show to be so explicit about how everything worked. Not sure if that's a good thing. After reading the ST:TNG tech manual at least when they throw out a line like "primary EPS taps offline" the superfan can be like "oh gently caress that's really bad!" but then the actors and writers don't know that and it doesn't translate into the performance or script so it's not handled well I'd say.

It was probably a really bad workflow decision to let writers put [tech] in the script and have Mike Okuda or whoever come along afterwards and put in something that makes sense. Because that leads directly to technobabble, where the writers literally don't even have to bother figuring out how something is going to get resolved. After they stopped accepting spec scripts they probably should have forced the writers to sit down and read the technical manuals and then made them write their own tech and have it checked by the technical team. That way writers would be forced to confront technobabble and possibly have a healthier relationship with it. As executed in the Star Trek writing process it was literally a way for the writer to get out of having to write anything so it's no wonder it came across that way on screen so many times.

Like if the primary EPS taps really got seriously hosed up that would leave the Enterprise running on auxiliary power permanently (except the warp drive would still work) until they could haul into a starbase.

Then again when they did try to do that it turned out so lame. Like when Geordi and Dr. Crusher were stuck with that plasma fire in that one episode. Plasma fire should be super scary but instead it was the lamest. THE LAMEST.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
I realized that I had listened to them talk about EPS conduits for literally over a decade without knowing what it meant so I looked it up on Memory Alpha. You know it really doesn't make any sense why the heck you'd need to put plasma in various corridors to power a ship, why not just convert it to electricity down in engineering?

• Locked thread