Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Marie is an extension of Izanami, which was actually pretty poorly implemented in the original game. All of Adachi's new content is similarly isolated. They are hardly different in that regard, the biggest difference is that Adachi's content is better written.

It really isn't the same. Adachi appears regularly through the game and the one thing there should be a dramatic change to reflect him being a Social Link the game actually recognizes it. Nobody ever mentions Marie outside of her S-Link until the very end.

It would, frankly, have made more sense if she was a party member or something so they could actually integrate her into cutscenes instead of her just sort of being her own divided S.Link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't the same. Adachi appears regularly through the game and the one thing there should be a dramatic change to reflect him being a Social Link the game actually recognizes it. Nobody ever mentions Marie outside of her S-Link until the very end.

They basically addressed that by making her part of the Velvet Room crew, who the rest of the party literally never interacts with. She's weirdly connected, but she's on that side of the fence, so her being kinda isolated makes sense. Additionally, something needed to be done about Izanami, because she was basically tied to the game by a loose piece of thread.

quote:

It would, frankly, have made more sense if she was a party member or something so they could actually integrate her into cutscenes instead of her just sort of being her own divided S.Link.

That would probably be better, yes. I can only imagine how much people would howl about that, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder if we'll get the Reincarnation version of I'll Face Myself in the game now that she's in the game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

This is not a terrible thing, this is just stupid shoehorning at worst. It is the fact that people are ready to get so mad about a DLC character for a game you are not gonna play beyond the story mode for more than a week or not at all even! I get it, you don't like her, I hate her more than you. gently caress, I was one of the people championing hate for her, it's been two years though. I don't care anymore, seeing people get mad about this poo poo is dumb and stupid. I like everyone in this thread, I don't want to see you be dumb and stupid, I want us to talk about MegaTen games and how cool or dumb they are.

Not about a stupid character no one likes and how she was put into a fighting game of a series she is one of the main characters of. I've felt the same way about FF13 inclusion in anything in the FF thread and stuff like that. Companies are gonna push their characters they like and they think people like and that's fine.

You're absolutely right and I apologize it was a dumb thing for me to say.

So back on topic: I though Adachi would have been our only DLC character but since we have Marie now I was wondering who else they could bring in. Margaret seems like the only other candidate unless they're coming back with their Nanako & Dojima team.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Honestly Marie in the Fighting game is actually exciting because she could help diversify the roster even more and have interesting gameplay and matchups.

Just separate it from the Persona cannon, play with one of the silly cameo color palettes and enjoy her for whatever potential gameplay she might have. I like Megaten and I am probably the biggest P4A fan in the thread (compared to other games in the series), but I would still love it for being an awesome fighter if it had some other dumb JRPG skin on it, or even if it was just colored blocks moving around the screen, because it's just a really, really solid fighter.

I can understand being upset about Marie in P4G and in P4GA but as far as I'm concerned fighting game characters from a practical level are just their mechanics and Marie could potentially be cool. Who knows? I certainly don't play Mitsuru because I like her character (I actually sort of dislike her as a character), but rather her gamefeel, which is really all that matters in a fighting game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

They basically addressed that by making her part of the Velvet Room crew, who the rest of the party literally never interacts with. She's weirdly connected, but she's on that side of the fence, so her being kinda isolated makes sense. Additionally, something needed to be done about Izanami, because she was basically tied to the game by a loose piece of thread.

Except each of her S.Links is her interacting with the party and befriending them and they act like she's been their friend for some time in those areas.

Also the second part is untrue, especially considering the protagonist and Adachi's default persona and the general theme of 'truth.' Marie doesn't add anything to that. It's not a blatant theme but she doesn't tie it to the plot any better. You can't even argue they made it more blatant because they literally have a scene where they sit you down and explain the myth to you when you're visiting the P3 school.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've already told Solomon about the incident I had where I didn't do Marie's S. Link for a while and then the next time I did it, I had Teddie and Naoto by then so they both just show up and start talking to her like they've been friends the whole time. It was the most surreal thing in a game about penis chariots.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

Except each of her S.Links is her interacting with the party and befriending them and they act like she's been their friend for some time in those areas.

Each of her S-Links is the protagonist dragging her out of the Velvet Room to explore the town and, yes, meet his friends.

quote:

Also the second part is untrue, especially considering the protagonist and Adachi's default persona and the general theme of 'truth.' Marie doesn't add anything to that. It's not a blatant theme but she doesn't tie it to the plot any better. You can't even argue they made it more blatant because they literally have a scene where they sit you down and explain the myth to you when you're visiting the P3 school.

Yes, I'm aware of how she's connected to it all. That doesn't stop her from being attached to the story at the very beginning - via a handshake with the protagonist and, presumably, one with Adachi offscreen - and the very end, with nothing touching on her existence in the middle except a very brief bit of exposition during the Iwatodai trip. I guess the gas station attendant's around during rainy days, too; I didn't talk to her there much. Tying her into the story more via Marie was a good idea, even if its execution wasn't spectacular.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Each of her S-Links is the protagonist dragging her out of the Velvet Room to explore the town and, yes, meet his friends.

No it isn't. In fact she's frequently shown hanging around town. Also she leaves the Velvet Room frequently (and leaves behind those dumb poems.)

Heck, I don't think you can actually S.Link her from within the Velvet Room, can you? You have to wait for a day she's outside of it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

No it isn't. In fact she's frequently shown hanging around town. Also she leaves the Velvet Room frequently (and leaves behind those dumb poems.)

Heck, I don't think you can actually S.Link her from within the Velvet Room, can you? You have to wait for a day she's outside of it.

Except for the fact that she doesn't really leave. When you see her hanging out around town, she's just outside the Velvet Room door. She does not meaningfully leave the Velvet Room without the protagonist until you complete her link and she disappears entirely.

Marie basically behaves like the other S-Links, where you initiate her link (or it initiates itself, I forget exactly), then she makes herself available on the world map. I wouldn't look too far into that.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hope Marie shows up in P5.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder if you'll be able to choose the gender of the protagonist in 5. I told a friend of mine how awesome 4 is but she was kind of burnt out of playing as [generic male] in RPGs and wanted the choice of a lady avatar. Can't really argue with that. The games are long so if you don't want to play as that kind of character any more you'd probably give up before you really start hammering out the S Links.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

straight jerkers posted:

Hope Marie shows up in P5.
Agreed, I probably won't get to play Golden so it will be the next best thing. :mmmhmm:

Jimbot posted:

I wonder if you'll be able to choose the gender of the protagonist in 5. I told a friend of mine how awesome 4 is but she was kind of burnt out of playing as [generic male] in RPGs and wanted the choice of a lady avatar. Can't really argue with that. The games are long so if you don't want to play as that kind of character any more you'd probably give up before you really start hammering out the S Links.
I'd like the protagonist to be canonically female, but that's probably never going to happen. So being able to choose the gender is probably the more likely option if anything.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 15, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They'll probably hold out until a release to squeeze out more money.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They'll probably hold out until a release to squeeze out more money.

Well, they didn't do that in P4G for some reason, so I dunno.

Would like a female player character in P5, yeah.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Accordion Man posted:

Agreed, I probably won't get to play Golden so it will be the next best thing. :mmmhmm:
I'd like the protagonist to be canonically female, but that's probably never going to happen. So being able to choose the gender is probably the more likely option if anything.

LET'S POSITIVE THINKING!

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Jimbot posted:

I feel/felt the exact same way as your friend. I'm on my second playthrough of P3P as the FemC, but I keep stalling out in P4 even though Golden is still really good. :( Just can't summon up the urge to finish it.

this thread posted:

Another Marie derail

I knew this would happen the instant the news broke.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Now I don't know who I want to main, Marie or Labrys

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I'm going to main adachi in the hope that he will literally say "bitches and whores"

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Here's the SMT series according to turbonerds

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

Here's the SMT series according to turbonerds

Why would you post something like this that's also at least three years old.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Is there an actual comprehensive timeline by Atlus for the series then? Has any of this information been "officially" clarified?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

Is there an actual comprehensive timeline by Atlus for the series then?

There isn't because it doesn't exist.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
AFAIK the games are connected by the demons and some of the themes but there's not much else. The Persona games might take place in the same universe though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like the stuff you find in games referencing other games are basically just Atlus putting in fanservice, like the Demonica popping up in SMT IV or the Devil Summoner characters in the Devil Survivor auctions.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
SMT games are about as connected as Final Fantasy games. Only instead of Cid, Moogles and a princess named Sara there's a giant penis riding around on a chariot and Lucifer is probably your ally.

Timeline Picture posted:

Japan writes an episode of Scooby Do.

That's how I'm going to describe P4 from now on.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Don Gato posted:

SMT games are about as connected as Final Fantasy games. Only instead of Cid, Moogles and a princess named Sara there's a giant penis riding around on a chariot and Lucifer and God are probably jerks.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
There was a new one posted in one of the SMTG that included the newer releases, and contained my fan theory that SMT IV and Strange Journey take place in the same universe.

Also, some of them are confirmed connected by the staff, and none of them are numbered 13-3 and all the characters are more well liked than Lightning.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I actually thought Devil Survivor had some sort of relation to the rest of the series, but I guess not

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

hubris.height posted:

There was a new one posted in one of the SMTG that included the newer releases, and contained my fan theory that SMT IV and Strange Journey take place in the same universe.

Also, some of them are confirmed connected by the staff, and none of them are numbered 13-3 and all the characters are more well liked than Lightning.

Which ending of Strange Journey would be canon then?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Which ending of Strange Journey would be canon then?

I will get back to you after I beat Strange Journey, I'm on Dolphinus now, and I really really love Strange Journey, its in my top 3 Megaten games easily. When I talked about it with people who have already beaten it Neutral seemed to be the suggestion.

If the chaos ending is "Demons are let into the Earth" then that would be my idea for how they tie together.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I still love the fact that SMT1/2 happen because Stephen Hawking (who's in Japan somehow) hosed up with teleporters. Science!
And then there's Ambassador Thorman. More demons should have incredibly transparent disguises.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

HGH posted:

I still love the fact that SMT1/2 happen because Stephen Hawking (who's in Japan somehow) hosed up with teleporters. Science!
And then there's Ambassador Thorman. More demons should have incredibly transparent disguises.

Ambassador Thorman great man! I do anything he say!

Well, there's always Louis Cypher.

It seems like most human disguised demons in the series have slightly removed pun names, with also Yuriko/Lilith from SMT1 and SMT4, and Gabby/Gabriel and Hikaru/Lucifer from SMT4. Though those are slightly less corny

I was so disappointed that Stephen in SMT4 had an actual voice instead of a computer voice.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

However you feel about Marie, I think we can all agree that Kaguya looks pretty cool.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

However you feel about Marie, I think we can all agree that Kaguya looks pretty cool.

I did like how space themed she feels. Appropriate for a moon rabbit rainbow princessy thing.
Although I'd be far more amused if they used her design from one of those kid themed PS games:

Imagine that as your ultimate reward.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Say what you will about Demikids, I think it was loving adorable, and I wouldn't mind if they rebooted it like they did Persona. That is, assuming the actual game would be good this time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Strange Quark posted:

Like the stuff you find in games referencing other games are basically just Atlus putting in fanservice, like the Demonica popping up in SMT IV or the Devil Summoner characters in the Devil Survivor auctions.

Or Dante showing up in SMT 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Or FeMC showing up in... oh wait.