Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

They also hosed up Howard's gear from this season:

While I could go full on goalie:spergin:, just notice the glove pattern and placement of the logos on the pads. The game has him wearing Vaughn V3 gear while he now wears V6 gear and patterns. But the players look real!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Those could be licensing issues that they couldn't work around.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Bradf0rd posted:

They also hosed up Howard's gear from this season:

While I could go full on goalie:spergin:, just notice the glove pattern and placement of the logos on the pads. The game has him wearing Vaughn V3 gear while he now wears V6 gear and patterns. But the players look real!

I mean if you're going to bitch about goalie gear you might as well bring up the masks. Lundqvist has had the same mask since nhl 09

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Jovial Cow posted:

I mean if you're going to bitch about goalie gear you might as well bring up the masks. Lundqvist has had the same mask since nhl 09

That is actual licensing issues. Marty allowed his mask design to be in the game but the rest of the artists haven't.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I think the issue is that EA hasn't contacted the artists, Marty had to contact EA himself.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Jovial Cow posted:

This is partly why I REALLY miss hockey games being on PC. You could patch in all 100% accurate goalie equipment, uniforms, arenas, everything really.

Modders are still updating NHL 05 or whatever but it's just not the same. I miss my skill stick

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Those mods for NHL on the PC in the early 00's were better than some of the recent iterations of the game.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Rutkowski posted:

I think the issue is that EA hasn't contacted the artists, Marty had to contact EA himself.

LOL @ The thought of a professional hockey player who is in the game having to go to Game Stop, pay $65 for a game they're part of (after being asked if they'd like to pre-order Call of Duty: Dogge) call up EA Sports, go through an automated customer service system, wait on hold for greater than 1 hour and finally get some Indian guy named Jimmy who "appreciates your concerns."

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Marty was the cover model for 14 - of course EA is going to drop a little :homebrew: for the proper art if he's going to be front and center on a product they want to sell. Everything else buried in the game you get after you've paid for it: "who cares we already have your money".

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:barf:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
...in slow motion. And lots of crowd shots. And floaty music.

And yet that SAME puck-glued-to-stick-one-handed fast skate animation you make 99% of the time you're skating around.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Just puck physics = Eeeehhhhh

Puck physics + collision improvements would at least give me some hope, as long as "Make it so passing isn't loving retarded" is amongst the to-do list items.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I am now prepared to not be impressed at all. Thanks for the heads up, EA.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

How drat hard is it to implement a decent be a GM mode? In 14 (might have been 13) after the first few games of a fresh season I noticed a player on the opposing team had like 7 goals in 4 games. When I checked the team stats the entire team only had 6 goals. Can't they just buy the system they used in 2k~5ish. Seriously, it's basically a glorified spreadsheet, not Hyper Realistic Hockey Physics™ (that blow).

Also, how is it that 2k6 could simulate every game that day in half a second and manage accurate stats when next and (presumably) next next gen consoles freak out whenever you want to skip ahead a month?

gently caress loving EA for loving ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man I wonder if the author of this piece is merely pants on head stupid, or EA is paying him a mountain of money to act like it:

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/07/14/nhl-15

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Man I wonder if the author of this piece is merely pants on head stupid, or EA is paying him a mountain of money to act like it:

Haha Google Now recommended that article to me this morning. It was such a shameless shill piece that I considered posting it, but I was running late and didn't get a chance. Thank you for reminding me of its existence.

"This game is the best thing until next year when it'll be even better!"

Thunderhorse Z
Sep 29, 2010

We're in a tight spot.

xzzy posted:

Yep, EA just backed up a truck full of money in front of that dudes house.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dear Rammer,

Pay me $50,000 and I'll be one of those "I totally saw the light!" stories about a disgruntled customer becoming a fanatic thanks to all the awesome great new improvements in EA SPORTS NHL® 15!

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I don't think it'd take a truck of money. I would write that article for $200

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Speaking of fluff pieces, I watched an old episode of Electric Playground today. They reviewed FIVE hockey games for the PS1 that happened to be coming out that year. I forgot what it was like when like every publisher had a sports brand.

Also they pretty much gave each of the games a 9.0 rating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duke Chin posted:

...in slow motion. And lots of crowd shots. And floaty music.

Woah man, are you psychic??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIFFY-IG7RE

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

PESSIMISTIC POST, OPTIMISTS SKIP

Jesus lord the game looks so stiffy and lovely and incomprehensibly shiny.

0:10 - Stupid weak back-hander garbage shots are still in the game, hooray.

0:18 - Dallas #33 shows "bump into a dude, fall to knees" animation is still in, no live physics.

0:32 - Goalie in position goes to desperation save instead of pushing 1 foot over in butterfly.

0:34 - Hahaha I like this, but it would be a tripping penalty.

0:38 - Defence to stop a cross-crease pass = poke check, still. Followed by pre-canned "fall to knees animation" collision.

0:42 - lovely goalie glove from crouch still in.

0:53 - Goalie covers puck, gets run, puck goes in net, IS GOAL?

0:59 - Good lord lovely puffy vinyl plastic jerseys and pants.

Ugh.

So they re-added live goalies and are touting it as an entirely new thing, as expected.

"12 player physics" is garbage since they show the same collision animation that's been in the game for how many years now instead of using the physics to determine what happens when two dudes skate straight into each other at speed.

"The puck will bounce over your stick!" already exists and is already maddening on simple lovely plays, great to see it will continue to happen in next-gen ways.

I wish they'd stop touting this new garbage and show any, any at all, of the gameplay improvements from NHL14. Flubber pucks on dump ins, goalie saves/animations (pretty much proven as fruitless already), menus, something worthwhile.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Pleads posted:

"12 player physics" is garbage since they show the same collision animation that's been in the game for how many years now instead of using the physics to determine what happens when two dudes skate straight into each other at speed.

Not only that but they chose to showcase (at most) 3 player collisions.

Also bump it up to 1080p, set speed to .25, skip to 0:19 and watch when number 14 gets the puck. :allears:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Yep, this certainly is NHL 14.5

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maybe by 2020 they'll have fixed your player dangling the puck offside when you're just trying to hold the line at the point.

I still find it hilarious that they actually tried implementing full collisions physics between sticks, legs and the puck, but took it out because it wasn't fun. Now they're trying to hype up rolling pucks instead as if anyone gives a poo poo that the puck will roll realistically while clipping through your skate and stick blade.

e: Actually reading that dumb review, there is one useful thing:

quote:

The controls are more or less the same, with the exception of an improved skill stick that eliminates the need hold down the X button (or A, on Xbox) in order to protect the puck.

Thank god. I actually never used the protect puck button, not because it wasn't useful, but because it was too drat awkward to shift between the right stick and X constantly.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

sba posted:

Yep, this certainly is NHL 14.5 NHL 2009 V. 6.0

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hockles posted:

I am now not impressed at all. Thanks, EA.

Saw literally only a half second of non rendered play.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

No, I'm Batman. Geez, EA...:ughh:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Wow, it looks even jankier than NHL08.

I bet player switching in 1v1 is still utterly broken.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
/\ NO! I want the center! NO! The defenseman is already back, I want the center because I need a 3rd defender! NO!!! FOR THE 18TH loving TIME PRESSING RIGHT TRIGGER I WANT THE CENTER! THE CENTER NEEDS TO BACKCHECK! PLEASE CENTER, PLEASE! Anddddd he scored...

Pleads posted:

0:18 - Dallas #33 shows "bump into a dude, fall to knees" animation is still in, no live physics.

HOW?! HOW HAVE THEY IGNORED THIS poo poo! This fucksense is 95% of why OTP matches are boring as poo poo. You can totally tell where the puck carrier is gonna skate and plan accordingly. You line it up and dash towards him at breakneck speed! You hold the right stick in his direction, prepare for impact and *fart noise* the skater slows down to avoid the hit, you fall to your knees and he takes the puck right around you.

:suicide:

This is the #1 issue, IMO. This issue alone makes figure skating possible and ruins any chance of realistic-ish hockey because everyone knows they can win by skating around in slow circles. You can literally skate slow enough to not get hit. :psyduck: So loving cool! Another year of chasing slow moving Crosby around in circles.

Oh, and the goalie is still incapable of putting one pad to the post, while standing. You have to stack the corner with both legs or leave it wide open. No middle-ground.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 17, 2014

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Pleads posted:

PESSIMISTIC POST, OPTIMISTS SKIP

Jesus lord the game looks so stiffy and lovely and incomprehensibly shiny.

0:10 - Stupid weak back-hander garbage shots are still in the game, hooray.

Yeah I love that the physics preview starts of with absurdly unrealistic backhanders.

gently caress rammer

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I've acquired actual gameplay footage for NHL15, seeming EA aren't going to loving show any.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/193236937

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Diet Crack posted:

I've acquired actual gameplay footage for NHL15, seeming EA aren't going to loving show any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kueCCffiBkY&t=28s

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Diet Crack posted:

I've been that goalie. :arghfist::gonk:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A lot of people in this thread Just Don't Know How To Play

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Diet Crack posted:

I didn't see any Dynamic Fluttering Cloth TechnologyTM.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

sellouts posted:

A lot of people in this thread Just Don't Know How To Play

Excuse me, if you can play pay, you can play.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bradf0rd posted:

I didn't see any Dynamic Fluttering Cloth TechnologyTM.

It's there, honest.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yes but can i see the light diffuse through his ear and the subtle scratches oh the glass as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgGna21AjBU

Play Better Defense

• Locked thread