Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Genocyber posted:

Show us on the doll where the scraping spear touched you

On my most recent Demon's Souls replay I got to fight an invader immediately after I killed the 1-4 phantoms. That was fun times. If I didn't have like a repair stone on me (because a Sharp Uchigatana is made of wet toilet paper), I'd have been so hosed.

Well, more than I already was. I like to think I gave him a run for his money anyway, but...nah, probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

They should replace amana's water with corpses

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah but then you'd be able to see where all the completely arbitrary instant death pits are :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mr Dog posted:

yeah but then you'd be able to see where all the completely arbitrary instant death pits are :v:

You can see the death pits! You just have to be carrying a torch... which goes out whenever you roll in the water to dodge one of the 1000 homing soul arrows.

e: Also, since you have a torch instead of a shield, you have to roll to dodge the melee lizard guys.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 15, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

You can see the death pits with a torch.

efb

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can see the death pits! You just have to be carrying a torch... which goes out whenever you roll in the water to dodge one of the 1000 homing soul arrows.

e: Also, since you have a torch instead of a shield, you have to roll to dodge the melee lizard guys.

I miss the Sunlight Maggot. :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

I miss the Sunlight Maggot. :(

Egghead

:qqsay:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

King of Solomon posted:

On my most recent Demon's Souls replay I got to fight an invader immediately after I killed the 1-4 phantoms. That was fun times. If I didn't have like a repair stone on me (because a Sharp Uchigatana is made of wet toilet paper), I'd have been so hosed.

Well, more than I already was. I like to think I gave him a run for his money anyway, but...nah, probably not.

I'm finally playing DS1 since I actually enjoyed 2 and kind of have an idea of what the gently caress, and I got invaded right after the bridge past Taurus Demon. I was all ready to throw my controller out the window given how often I was invaded in DS2, but it turned out to be a friendly redguy who gave me some poison healing stuff (gently caress those rats), showed me to a bonfire I didn't see originally, and then fought me barefisted until I killed her.

:3:souls

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

I lost my sky box to the bastille and the castle how do I get it back? I've tried verifying with no success :(.

I only ever saw the bastille skybox on my first game, and just recently realized that I've never seen what the castle's skybox is supposed to look like. No wonder I thought those areas looked disappointing. I've never been able to get the sky back.

CJacobs posted:

I just can't help but wonder what was so wrong with Dark Souls 1's durability system that they had to change it: Weapons degrade very slowly but after a lot of use it will be a problem, which is fixable by way of a blacksmith right next to a bonfire, and upgrading the weapon resets the durability too. Light weapons have lower durability and stuff like katanas break really fast, but gigantic-rear end weapons don't break in a few pangs off of a wall because that's fuckin retarded. I guess From decided it wasn't ENOUGH of a nuisance. Granted, it's still not really a nuisance unless you're using certain kinda of weapons, but the new system is more annoying than anything.

It basically didn't even exist in Dark Souls 1. Weapons lost durability so slowly that they would never break between multiple bonfires, and you could repair them at any bonfire for a tiny amount of souls once you bought the repairbox (which was available so early in the game that nothing would have broken by the time you got it). Basically all it ever meant to me was a menu you'd have to go through for a second every time you sat at a bonfire (select Repair Equipment, click through everything to fix the 3 points of durability it had lost since the last boss, continue).

I like the idea of how they tried to do durability in Dark Souls 2, they just borked up the implementation hard. I've never wanted to use any weapon special attacks that are tied to durability in either game though, so I kind of wish they just gave them a rechargable number of uses like spells (like 6 shots of the dragonslayer spear's lightning bolt between bonfires or whatever).

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Genocyber posted:

Hope they patch it eventually.

It is a shame people cheat to take out the fun

Hahahahahahha you think that weapons breaking quickly in a video game is fun. You're loving weird man.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've never wanted to use any weapon special attacks that are tied to durability in either game though, so I kind of wish they just gave them a rechargable number of uses like spells (like 6 shots of the dragonslayer spear's lightning bolt between bonfires or whatever).

Yeah, this makes more sense to me than having it tied to durability in any case.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Alright, got my newest character ready for the DLC, now I play the waiting game.

Armor kind reminds me of a football player, or maybe an old WWF wrestler. Still love the helm, I am never taking it off.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Hahahahahahha you think that weapons breaking quickly in a video game is fun. You're loving weird man.

Having to play a tiny bit smarter to prevent them from breaking is fun. There should be punishment for mindless spamming into enemies, and that's what durability damage is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man, I've been grinding the Sunlight covenant to get the miracle achievement and the place where I'm getting by far the quickest summons is the Prowling Magus. I'd understand why so many people would summon there if they were doing Benhart's quest, saw my sign, and thought "Why not?" but most of them don't even have him. That boss is especially funny as a phantom because you can just run up behind the Magus and priests and one shot them with a backstab. 5 medals to go.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I just can't help but wonder what was so wrong with Dark Souls 1's durability system that they had to change it: Weapons degrade very slowly but after a lot of use it will be a problem, which is fixable by way of a blacksmith right next to a bonfire, and upgrading the weapon resets the durability too. Light weapons have lower durability and stuff like katanas break really fast, but gigantic-rear end weapons don't break in a few pangs off of a wall because that's fuckin retarded. I guess From decided it wasn't ENOUGH of a nuisance. Granted, it's still not really a nuisance unless you're using certain kinda of weapons, but the new system is more annoying than anything.

Probably because unless you were using a weapon with a special attack like the dragon weapons or the Moonlight Greatsword you would literally never break anything. You could go for hours and hours without having to repair anything. That being said, I prefer that to Dark Souls 2. Weapon durability just leads to tedium. It makes sense for the special attacks because of how powerful they are, but not for normal stuff. I don't think it's a huge deal though and don't mind it being there usually.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

If you've read any amount of this thread then you should already have Genocyber on ignore. His good advice to bad bullshit ratio tilts too far into wtf territory to make it worth reading through just for the gems of info. Just do yourself a favor.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

If you've read any amount of this thread then you should already have Genocyber on ignore. His good advice to bad bullshit ratio tilts too far into wtf territory to make it worth reading through just for the gems of info. Just do yourself a favor.

Someone should buy him back the "let me tell you about why im better at dark souls than you" redtext title. Fits him perfectly, considering every post he makes is him telling someone else why they're wrong about something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Green Calx posted:

Someone should buy him back the "let me tell you about why im better at dark souls than you" redtext title. Fits him perfectly, considering every post he makes is him telling someone else why they're wrong about something.

Not my fault you're all a bunch of whiny babies. :shrug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

Having to play a tiny bit smarter to prevent them from breaking is fun. There should be punishment for mindless spamming into enemies, and that's what durability damage is.

You really shouldn't be punished for having a better framerate, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

That's why it's a bug, not a feature. :geno:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is this week the week the special item gets added to the Majula chest?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Right, and that's why the bug should be fixed. However, more durability damage from attacking corpses is a thing that happens no matter what. I prefer that that increase damage is further increased, as it forces you to be more careful lest your weapons break.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is this week the week the special item gets added to the Majula chest?

No, it's the same day as the DLC, i.e. one week from today.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

No, it's the same day as the DLC, i.e. one week from today.

A little more than that, it's the 22nd.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does the chest reset whenever something is added, or is it a one time thing?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Genocyber posted:

Right, and that's why the bug should be fixed. However, more durability damage from attacking corpses is a thing that happens no matter what. I prefer that that increase damage is further increased, as it forces you to be more careful lest your weapons break.
But how could a weapon possibly take more damage hitting someone that's dead than alive?? Aren't they all dead already? And how would the weapon know if they were alive or not? Does their skin turn to stone after death?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vib Rib posted:

Does their skin turn to stone after death?

Well they don't ragdoll worth a drat anymore so presumably yes.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vib Rib posted:

But how could a weapon possibly take more damage hitting someone that's dead than alive?? Aren't they all dead already? And how would the weapon know if they were alive or not? Does their skin turn to stone after death?

stop arguing with genocyber as he is an idiot

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

Does the chest reset whenever something is added, or is it a one time thing?

It resets every time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

A little more than that, it's the 22nd.

July 22 is one week from today my friend.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

And that's the story of how I learned my computer was set to the wrong date somehow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Does their skin turn to stone after death?
This explains everything

I still want to know why some enemies leave awkwardly posed immutable ragdolls that readily fuse with the nearby geography and others just disintegrate though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I still want to know why some enemies leave awkwardly posed immutable ragdolls that readily fuse with the nearby geography and others just disintegrate though.

They despawn if you get a certain distance away and are maybe obscured from your vision or something I dunno, but they respawn when you come back and they are always inside a wall when they do this

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I always took the difference between disintegrating enemies and corpse-producing enemies to be whether or not the enemy was a fully corporeal being. Like the Black Knights and Silver Knights from DS1 that disintegrated because they were merely a shadow of existence in the world, more wraithlike than physical beings.

Whereas your bog-standard hollows are definitely fully corporeal beings that inhabit the land and die (again) when you kill them, so they leave a corpse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

I agree, but they could stand to ease up on it a little bit. I shouldn't burn through a quarter of an UGS's health in a fight against a few dudes without the BKR on. I've still only had the MLGS break on me personally, but trying to mess around with new weapons and only being able to for a short period of time is kind of lame. Maybe have the durability increase as you reinforce it or something.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

CJacobs posted:

Maybe it was too forgiving? I never had anything break on me in DS1 and the durability destroying pyromancies did almost nothing. At their best they were a good smoke screen or gimmick.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Moon Monster posted:

Man, I've been grinding the Sunlight covenant to get the miracle achievement and the place where I'm getting by far the quickest summons is the Prowling Magus. I'd understand why so many people would summon there if they were doing Benhart's quest, saw my sign, and thought "Why not?" but most of them don't even have him. That boss is especially funny as a phantom because you can just run up behind the Magus and priests and one shot them with a backstab. 5 medals to go.

You don't need that covenant to get Sunlight Spear. I think there's one in Amana, and there's definitely one behind a locked door in the pit in Majula. You'll need the key from the giants in Black Gulch to open it, though.

e: There must be some kind of processor-specific bug with durability, because I've been spamming my UGS like an idiot and it's never broken in three hits.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 16, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You don't need that covenant to get Sunlight Spear. I think there's one in Amana, and there's definitely one behind a locked door in the pit in Majula. You'll need the key from the giants in Black Gulch to open it, though.

You're thinking Great Lightning Spear. Sunlight Spear requires rank 3 in Heirs of the Sun. You can't get another Sunlight Spear anywhere.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
So I was looking real closely at the name-engraved ring, and I noticed a few of the gods there are never mentioned anywhere else? Nehma, Hanleth, and Caffrey don't have any items for them. Coincidentally those three are the gods of Love, Bliss, and Fortune.

The other gods are represent Tears, Disease, Struggle, Hunt, Blood, Desire, and Dreams. Those ones all have at least some lore and items behind them. I guess it makes sense considering, you know, Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Azuth0667 posted:

Maybe it was too forgiving? I never had anything break on me in DS1 and the durability destroying pyromancies did almost nothing. At their best they were a good smoke screen or gimmick.

I don't think that any sort of weapon and armor durability system is needed in any game, honestly*. I don't think it ever adds anything to the gameplay aside from busywork or forcing people to play in a way they don't enjoy.

Why should I have to flip between a bunch of weapons that I don't necessarily like or want to use because my hammer that is literally an anvil is somehow breaking halfway through the first third of a level? I can see the point of armor and shields breaking, but in Dark Souls you're dead way before that even becomes anything approaching an issue.

The pits of acid around the game serve no purpose at all except to make you have to waste a bunch of time stripping down and then putting everything back on.

Nothing is added to the game by having your weapons break except for "challenge" for the sake of it in the best case, and a stupid "Gotcha!" mechanic in the worst.

*Condemned is the only exception to this, but only guns being used as melee weapons broke, and they were poo poo melee weapons anyway.