Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair the Cleric there was pure luck. But Clerics are a good class though nowhere near as powerful as they used to be.

The cleric is still top dog when it comes to the important field of 'doing the martial's job better than them'.

Exhibit A) Krag Hack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

What exactly do you mean by "spells in stat blocks?" Are you referring to the monster simply having spells or how it's formatted?
It's bare lists of spells, the same you'd find with a monster in AD&D 1e without any improvements. :) The kind where I need to borrow a PHB or keep some spell reference open to run them properly.

I kinda expected it for the NPCs, although I still think it's terrible. But when I see a monster like the Flameskull casting spells, it sets off warning bells.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's Personally not a big deal to me (If you don't memorize them you can always write them down as well) as the ones in the starter set have pretty simple spells that are rather easy to remember. Besides there won't be nearly as many monsters with spells in the statblock as their used to be.
Then I am happy for you.

It's pretty much a deal-breaker for me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Its math is hosed in all sorts of ways

How is the math screwed up. I am not an expert but I don't see how it is. I won't talk about the rest of your post because I am tired and honestly don't have time to write a bit response right now.

Also they stated that they were not going to use spells in monster stat blocks unless the creature was a caster. (My defense for caster stat blocks is that they have much more veristily then other monsters and it does not bloat the stat block as much as showing everything would. )

Anyway I am overall tired of this thread as well. I will post news and stuff here but until the players handbook comes out I won't be posting as much. It's kind of needed for us to fully judge the game anyway.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 16, 2014

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's Personally not a big deal to me (If you don't memorize them you can always write them down as well) as the ones in the starter set have pretty simple spells that are rather easy to remember. Besides there won't be nearly as many monsters with spells in the statblock as their used to be.
Bad advice is bad.

Also you're wrong about there not being "nearly as many monsters with spells in the statblock as their used to be." If something was a caster in 3e or earlier it's a caster now. Even a goddamn Flameskull, a monster that has no sensible reason to be a Level X Spellcaster, has spells instead of powers. There will be just as many casters in 5e as in 2e and 3e.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

MonsterEnvy posted:

You are the poster child for "modules". Like the ultimate Jerry's Kid.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway I am overall tired of this thread as well. I will post news and stuff here but until the players handbook comes out I won't be posting as much. It's kind of needed for us to fully judge the game anyway.

Like a candle lit from both ends, you burned out too soon.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If something is a caster mob, and it has spells in it's stat block, are you supposed to use/know how many spell slots it has? Or can it just use it's spells however, whenever?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Oh yeah I got a starter set too today. I'm gonna read it but FRIST this bottle of wine needs to get finished. Its a preventative measure.

Initial impressions: good art at least, 5e has to be the first cheesecake-free edition with actual armor and whatnot. And nice pregen sheets (paper quality) and...uh...yet another set of dice for my dice monster.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

:sweep:

It is for these reasons and others that this game isn't very good! It doesn't mean that you can't like it for what it is, it doesn't mean that you can't try to make it work, but arguing that it is well designed and being passive aggressive and saying "well I had fun playing a fighter" will not get anyone anywhere. Hope this helps!

I agree with almost all of this but I also have a few questions (for anyone to answer.)

Firstly, how is the math hosed? Not in a "it looks fine to me!" sort of way, but in a "I haven't taken a closer look, what are you guys finding wrong with it so I can keep a look out?" sort of way.

Secondly, I'm here because, like many others in this thread I'm sure, I want to play a D&D fantasy game because the system is fun and I want to relive the highlights of AD&D or 3.5e but 3.5e is a mess and AD&D didn't age well and Pathfinder managed to be just as horrible as 3.5e in less than half the time. D&D Next is literally my lesser evil at the moment. I really feel you on the "this is a bad game but that doesn't mean you can't like it for what it is." Anyway, my question is, what are games like DnD that I will enjoy? Aside from 13th Age and Numenera because those are already on my need-to-check-out and not-for-me lists respectively.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Anyway, my question is, what are games like DnD that I will enjoy? Aside from 13th Age and Numenera because those are already on my need-to-check-out and not-for-me lists respectively.

If you like cool dudes doing cool poo poo and not worrying too much about the rules, Dungeon World. If you like lots and lots of rules and feats and other crunchy choices, Fantasy Craft.
I'm assuming you've already looked at 4e.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I agree with almost all of this but I also have a few questions (for anyone to answer.)

Firstly, how is the math hosed? Not in a "it looks fine to me!" sort of way, but in a "I haven't taken a closer look, what are you guys finding wrong with it so I can keep a look out?" sort of way.

The last time the Fighter gets a meaningful ability is level 5. It has the 3e problem that higher level spells are harder to save against.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
In fact, it's spells by higher level casters which are harder to save against, which is simpler but actually worse for the guy rolling the same - a wizard doesn't need a level 7 will save to shut a fighter down when a level 2 will do just as well and hit just as often.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Secondly, I'm here because, like many others in this thread I'm sure, I want to play a D&D fantasy game because the system is fun and I want to relive the highlights of AD&D or 3.5e but 3.5e is a mess and AD&D didn't age well and Pathfinder managed to be just as horrible as 3.5e in less than half the time. D&D Next is literally my lesser evil at the moment. I really feel you on the "this is a bad game but that doesn't mean you can't like it for what it is." Anyway, my question is, what are games like DnD that I will enjoy? Aside from 13th Age and Numenera because those are already on my need-to-check-out and not-for-me lists respectively.
Quoting from earlier:

Nihilarian posted:

Pathfinder is 3.5 with the serial numbers filed off. If you've played one, then you've played the other, and that includes all of the problems inherent to the system.

You might like Legend. IIRC, it started off as 3.5 houserules before the guys doing it realized they had enough to make a book themselves. I've never had a chance to play it, but I read through it a couple years ago and liked what I saw. A lot of fiddly, complicated stuff got simplified, and casters aren't any more powerful than the other classes.
There's also 13th Age.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

zachol posted:

If you like cool dudes doing cool poo poo and not worrying too much about the rules, Dungeon World. If you like lots and lots of rules and feats and other crunchy choices, Fantasy Craft.
I'm assuming you've already looked at 4e.

Yeah I've played Dungeon World. It was my mistake to not mention it, but it's juuuuust not crunchy enough for me. Love the idea behind the system though. I have the Fantasy Craft PDF so I'll look at it. Gonna check out this Legend game. Meanwhile, I'm playing D&D Next this friday so hopefully I can have fun with it (we're all well past the point of power-gaming and high-level epic campaigns and just want to do fun adventurer stuff, so I think we'll have an anecdotally great time.)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Legend (the RoC one) is pretty great but suffers from rocket tag and relatively complex monster creation. It's pretty much just "what if the 3e charop guys got tired of 3e and decided to make their own game."

e: vvv don't scare them off!

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 16, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

zachol posted:

Legend (the RoC one) is pretty great but suffers from rocket tag and relatively complex monster creation. It's pretty much just "what if the 3e charop guys got tired of 3e and decided to make their own game."

Well, that is literally what it is. RoC is made by former 3e charops people from OotS forums.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

starkebn posted:

If something is a caster mob, and it has spells in it's stat block, are you supposed to use/know how many spell slots it has? Or can it just use it's spells however, whenever?

In the playtest, it lists spell slots.

They appear to be full casters, so I don't see any reason they couldn't cast all their third and above slots as fireball (or do something similar with a prep'ed spell of their choice). I'm still wondering if the concentration rule will make NPC casters less dangerous, or more dangerous. (It obviously fixes a problem for PCs.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I am not as down on it as most of the folks here, even though I find some things pretty terrible and am in no rush to run it.

If you are looking for a modern D&D that's not as bad as 3.x/PF, but still adheres to "tradition" pretty closely, then 5e fits the bill. It's almost literally a cleaned up and simplified 3.x with smaller numbers across the board. It also just might surprise us when the Big 3 come out. (hahah, no it won't)

"D&D 5e: It could be worse, I guess."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my impressions thusfar are that it's thoroughly adequate. It doesn't go far enough in any direction to really fail spectacularly, but everything in it has been done before and better somewhere else.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

yeah, that's how I feel about it. we're playing it because we don't know what else to play.

Maxwell Lord posted:

everything in it has been done before and better somewhere else.

perfect summary

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 16, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

RPZip posted:

Yeah, I got it as a slightly belated birthday present in the mail today. I'm going to run it on the forums, I think, just not sure in what format or how I should do applications since I want to use the pregens.

Man if you are going to run the Starter Set on the forums as a PbP I would be up for any of the pregens. I just want to try it out.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

It was gone into way more earlier in the thread, but basically the biggest problem is that monster hp scales waaaaaaay too quickly, making fights turn into long boring slogs unless you just let a caster do 1 save or die.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

It was gone into way more earlier in the thread, but basically the biggest problem is that monster hp scales waaaaaaay too quickly, making fights turn into long boring slogs unless you just let a caster do 1 save or die.

Also the way fights are designed you often up against large packs of monsters that take a while to slog through or the caster uses an aoe.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Clearly, there's a lot of lovely regression in 5E compared to 4E, but the most damning is the return of caster supremacy. So I got to thinking: what would a kickass fighter look like in 5E? One that's in the realm of balanced vs casters, in terms of combat capabilities, and story/world impact?

I also figured, why not go back to the beginning, in the supposed spirit of 5E, and try to make a modern version of OD&D's Fighting Man? A large cadre of followers could have some real potential to compete with spells, at least with sound mechanics behind them.

At this point, it's more of a thought experiment than a playable class (needs way more Tactics options for one, and I haven't gone beyond level 10), but I think it's complete enough to get the point across:

Fighting Man for D&D 5E.

A few caveats:
  • This is not designed with multiclassing in mind, because multiclassing is dumb.
  • I generally stuck with 5E's writing style of excessively verbose "natural" writing. 5E would be better off with 4E-style writing, but I wanted to go for consistency.
  • I stuck with 5E's "pretends to be TOTM but requires a grid to actually be played", again, for consistency.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

kingcom posted:

Exhibit A) Krag Hack

Seriously, anyone who hasn't played this stuff yet, please read the Dead in Thay PBP thread. It does an excellent job of at least two things: a good DM can make even a poor system fun; next is only slightly better balanced than 3e.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

This is pretty cool. If I seriously wanted to play one I'd want to see some sort of alternate class feature that replaced your followers with something more inherent/internal, though.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Ferrinus posted:

If I seriously wanted to play one I'd want to see some sort of alternate class feature that replaced your followers with something more inherent/internal, though.

Sounds like a muscle wizard. D&D is a no muscle wizard-ing zone. We can't have our fantasy be unbelievable.

Never you mind that Gandalf fought with a sword, and Legolas could walk on snow because he was a muscle wizard.

Gotta keep our elf games pure and faithful to the roots that they don't resemble at all.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Well, I'm running it. Let's see how it goes.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Speaking of homebrewing poo poo for 5e, I did that thing I always do.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I kinda hoped dashing corgies more involved them being so handsome rather than moving quicker.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Cassa posted:

I kinda hoped dashing corgies more involved them being so handsome rather than moving quicker.

I think you're getting a cached version, rather than the latest, 'cause I changed the name after I updated it from its playtest-era version to be more in line with the release version. Fun fact: the playtest era language was actually less obtuse and wordy.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Speaking of homebrewing poo poo for 5e, I did that thing I always do.

Pack Tactics is kind of ridiculously better than the alternative. Even in super duper tactical and strategically deep 4e, moving an extra square didn't really mean poo poo.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sure would love that as a wizard.

Unrelatedly, there's no way to afford the point buy with the starter set wizard to boost his dex by another point is there? Going to ask the DM if there are any bows around so not relying on cantrips after two rounds.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Pack Tactics is kind of ridiculously better than the alternative. Even in super duper tactical and strategically deep 4e, moving an extra square didn't really mean poo poo.

That's D&D design for you! :v:

I may change it, however.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
There was a tweet some time ago about an alpha player handbook going around and I managed to get a peak at what internet denizens were claiming was it. I'm starting to suspect it may have actually been the secret playtest packet, as some of the pages looked identical to the ones a goon had posted in this or the other thread (specifically the fighter maneuvers).

One of my biggest complaints I've had so far was the lack of a proper two-weapon option for those wanting a STR based build. Looks like the feat was changed to accommodate just that, having dropped the light requirement for either hand. Really hoping to see that in the final book, though I'm not holding my breath as there's some differences between this book and what is in the Basic PDF.

There is still the issue of having a race with no +str being capped at 15, which means only certain races are able to go after such a build. Still, someone going human could take the feat build option and get their two whatevers right at level 1. Could it be they might have actually improved something from testing?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

I disagree on this. An extra square of movement can mean all the difference in 4E when you have powers that allow you to make multiple attacks as you move, for instance. I also know that my Ranger with a speed of 9 could do absolutely crazy stuff like shift 18 squares and then charge for 9 more squares made a huge difference with my DM who liked large, maze-like encounters.

No idea if it makes any difference at all in Next though since Theater of the Mind probably means that 5 feet is negligible.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Honestly none of the abilities listed are ones I made up myself, they're all cribbed from existing 5e sources circa the March 2013 playtest. I wanted something done quick and dirty which would have properly worded mechanics.

If I gave more of a drat about 5e, I'd probably put a bit more effort into it. As it stands 99% of the time spent on that was doing the fluff writeup.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I think if it was something like 10 feet you could generally make use of it, even in TotM, simply because you'd be consistently faster than most other things by a significant margin. Useful in chases and escapes.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's literally a word-for-word copy of one of the elf racial abilities, except I added in an "on all four paws" option because I took one look at it and thought "wow, how underwhelming".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I should probably be surprised.