Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

Here we are, a jiu jitsu card I'm anticipating more than a UFC card.

yep. this is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'm going to go hog wild on this card. When is it again? We should all celebrate.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bubba Smith posted:

Kenny Florian is competing at Metamoris 4.

Here we are, a jiu jitsu card I'm anticipating more than a UFC card. Congratulations, you guys did it, you won.

Metamoris 4
Los Angeles, California
Saturday, August 9, 2014

Andre Galvao x Chael Sonnen
Saulo Ribeiro x Rodrigo Long
Dean Lister x Josh Barnett
Keenan Cornelius x Vinny Magalhaes
Kit Dale x Garry Tonon
Secret Fight: Kenny Florian x opponent not yet announced

Good lord..

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

I'm going to go hog wild on this card. When is it again? We should all celebrate.

9th of August, so nearly four weeks' time. I'm going to watch the poo poo out of it.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
The only downside is we won't get him on commentary again. Hopefully we get Glover again though, he was really good. Maybe Glover and Ed O'Neil.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
rogan and renato laranja imo

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Yuriy posted:

rogan and renato laranja imo

If Rhassan could stay in character for the entire broadcast he deserves some kind of a special Emmy or something.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That would both be wonderful and godawful, I think.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

MagicCube posted:

I also just read that apparently Lister vs. Barnett is going to be for a title and the winner will face Buchecha at the next event.
Josh is a pretty good grappler and all but even if he manages to beat Lister somehow, I can only see him getting mauled Bucheca.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Grifter posted:

Josh is a pretty good grappler and all but even if he manages to beat Lister somehow, I can only see him getting mauled Bucheca.

All of these matches will be draws.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Grifter posted:

Pretty much.

I want to see Rodolfo/Buchecha under Metamoris rules.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Pretty much.

I want to see Rodolfo/Buchecha under Metamoris rules.

I believe all of the Rodolfo/Buchecha matches to date were decided by points so it would most likely be a draw. 2/3rds of Metamoris matches at this point have gone the distance. The only finishes at III were in the two total mismatches.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
This event looks pretty cool and I'm definitely into it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bubba Smith posted:

Kenny Florian is competing at Metamoris 4.

Here we are, a jiu jitsu card I'm anticipating more than a UFC card. Congratulations, you guys did it, you won.

Metamoris 4
Los Angeles, California
Saturday, August 9, 2014

Andre Galvao x Chael Sonnen
Saulo Ribeiro x Rodrigo Long
Dean Lister x Josh Barnett
Keenan Cornelius x Vinny Magalhaes
Kit Dale x Garry Tonon
Secret Fight: Kenny Florian x opponent not yet announced

Where do you get tickets to this? This is going to be my person UFC 176 now that it no longer exists.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Sprecherscrow posted:

I believe all of the Rodolfo/Buchecha matches to date were decided by points so it would most likely be a draw. 2/3rds of Metamoris matches at this point have gone the distance. The only finishes at III were in the two total mismatches.

I know but I still want to see it. Buchecha/Roger and bravo/royler were draws too and they owned.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

1st AD posted:

Where do you get tickets to this? This is going to be my person UFC 176 now that it no longer exists.

They go on sale on Monday the 30th July, and they'll probably sell out super quick, if the previous shows are anything to go by. http://metamoris.com/event-info

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Does anyone have any good resources for some good cardio/conditionning workouts for BJJ? Most resources I've found are for supplemental, but what I need is more like an "off-season" style thing where it doesn't take into account any rolling during the week.

I won't be able to get back to BJJ till September, and the last two months I've just been doing a Westside barbell, 4 days a week strength routine, plus a conditioning day and sports but I want to gear back to BJJ for the last 6 weeks here while keeping some of the gains I've made, and leaning up for rolling and competing again in the fall. Before I stopped BJJ, I was doing a 2-3 day a week Bondarchuk complex (from Powering Through blog) alongside rolling 2-3 times a week.

Since Im not able to do BJJ while Im away for work, I've opted mostly for this to be an "off-season" sort of deal where I focus on my strength and power. Now I feel pretty good about it, but feeling a bit fat and sluggish. I havent completely given up on cardio, I typically do a once a week conditioning exercise of Prowler sprints, sled drags, farmer walks and ab circuits, and sprints every now and then, as well as playing some sports with friends at least once a week (soccer, basketball, squash, etc.).

I'm a little bit of a loss here how I can get cardio and conditionning back for BJJ because quite honestly BJJ has been the only thing that I've done consistently for cardio/conditioning, since Im generally a fat rear end who hates running. Any suggestions or resources how to tailor my routines for the next little bit till I can roll again?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

MagicCube posted:

So here's the official word on Chael's participation:

Basically we understand all your favorite athletes use PEDs and we don't care, here are some exciting matches. Chael losing by triangle is going to be the best thing ever.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

swagger like us posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for some good cardio/conditionning workouts for BJJ? Most resources I've found are for supplemental, but what I need is more like an "off-season" style thing where it doesn't take into account any rolling during the week.

I won't be able to get back to BJJ till September, and the last two months I've just been doing a Westside barbell, 4 days a week strength routine, plus a conditioning day and sports but I want to gear back to BJJ for the last 6 weeks here while keeping some of the gains I've made, and leaning up for rolling and competing again in the fall. Before I stopped BJJ, I was doing a 2-3 day a week Bondarchuk complex (from Powering Through blog) alongside rolling 2-3 times a week.

Since Im not able to do BJJ while Im away for work, I've opted mostly for this to be an "off-season" sort of deal where I focus on my strength and power. Now I feel pretty good about it, but feeling a bit fat and sluggish. I havent completely given up on cardio, I typically do a once a week conditioning exercise of Prowler sprints, sled drags, farmer walks and ab circuits, and sprints every now and then, as well as playing some sports with friends at least once a week (soccer, basketball, squash, etc.).

I'm a little bit of a loss here how I can get cardio and conditionning back for BJJ because quite honestly BJJ has been the only thing that I've done consistently for cardio/conditioning, since Im generally a fat rear end who hates running. Any suggestions or resources how to tailor my routines for the next little bit till I can roll again?

You might want to cross-post this as well in YLLS, the good fitgoons there have a lot of decent advice they can give about strength and conditioning.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Sprecherscrow posted:

There's an easy way to fix this.

Alternate side control, two minutes each. Can't finish? move to here.

:unsmigghh:

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Crossposting from the A/T Thread

So I just found some footage of my first match at the 2014 Northwest Submission Challenge, where I eventually landed at silver in the 150lb bracket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfGwdnkOSM8
My opponent gave me his arm while trying to escape mount and I hit the rolling armbar. I'm a Judo ikkyu but it's been a while since I've done any standup. Wish I had rotated more on the lefty uchimata, but I guess the entry didn't feel as clean as it looks to me now.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
This came up in the General Fitness Megathread where I crossposted my question above. Do you guys go jogging(30-45min) for aerobic training, or do you even bother? Lots of resources i have are conflicting, with guys like DeFranco and Powering Through blog suggesting that its better to work on anerobic capacity through sprints, intensity cardio etc. to mimic the types of rounds you're going to have (under 6 minutes is largely anaerobic and ATP). I lift 4 times a week, and do a conditionning day once a week (prowler sprints, farmer walks, sled drags, regular sprints). Should I even bother with jogging? Note, this is for an "off season" type of workout since I can't roll for another month or so.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I feel like HIIT type stuff is better for grappling because you can get a solid cardio workout while practicing movements that directly relate to your grappling coordination. For example, I use a tabata routine of burpees+mountain climbers because it's both exhausting and directly related to my ability to sprawl and maintain top position.

E: But I don't want to overlook the psychological benefits of a calm jog on a nice day.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

swagger like us posted:

This came up in the General Fitness Megathread where I crossposted my question above. Do you guys go jogging(30-45min) for aerobic training, or do you even bother? Lots of resources i have are conflicting, with guys like DeFranco and Powering Through blog suggesting that its better to work on anerobic capacity through sprints, intensity cardio etc. to mimic the types of rounds you're going to have (under 6 minutes is largely anaerobic and ATP). I lift 4 times a week, and do a conditionning day once a week (prowler sprints, farmer walks, sled drags, regular sprints). Should I even bother with jogging? Note, this is for an "off season" type of workout since I can't roll for another month or so.

fatherdog posted:

swagger like us posted:

I'm curious, why would I go for 30min or 45min jogs when BJJ is mostly situated around 5-6min rounds? Shouldn't I focus my cardio and conditionning to "train how I fight"? What will long distance jogging do for my cardio that HIIT or sprints won't?

Long Slow Distance cardio improves your aerobic fitness. HIIT/sprints improve your anaerobic fitness. BJJ is a series of anaerobic bursts with slower pace and breathing periods in between. Anaerobic fitness determines how well you'll be able to handle those bursts, aerobic fitness determines how well you will recover between them. Doing nothing but sprinting without improving your aerobic fitness rapidly runs into a ceiling after which you will not improve without increasing your aerobic base.

Unless you already have a history of good aerobic fitness, increasing your aerobic base is much more important for BJJ than trying to improve your anaerobic pathways, which will rapidly improve during actual randori anyway. No matter what you do you're going to be tired and unconditioned for your first few classes back, since nothing reproduces the specific demands of randori like randori does, but improving your aerobic base will have you getting back into condition much faster than just doing sprint workouts.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Ah right, it was you who replied, thanks for re-posting that, it gives a good argument for jogging. That being said though, it seems more and more S&C types are touting the benefits of HIIT, sprints etc. for conditioning, especially for something like BJJ which is a 5-6min round.

I've also heard of people disagreeing that there exists a necessary aerobic base in order to increase anaerobic capacity (DeFranco comes to mind when he talks about steady-state versus intervals)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

swagger like us posted:

Ah right, it was you who replied, thanks for re-posting that, it gives a good argument for jogging. That being said though, it seems more and more S&C types are touting the benefits of HIIT, sprints etc. for conditioning, especially for something like BJJ which is a 5-6min round.

Anaerobic pathways provide energy for, at most, 90 seconds. In a 5-6 minute round, you're using aerobic pathways for significant portions of it.

"more and more S&C types are touting the benefits of HIIT" because it's trendy. HIIT is useful and is something that should be done in addition to aerobic work, not instead of.

quote:

I've also heard of people disagreeing that there exists a necessary aerobic base in order to increase anaerobic capacity (DeFranco comes to mind when he talks about steady-state versus intervals)

And those people are wrong, which is why Olympic sprint training includes LSD for aerobic base building in the off-season, despite being about as anaerobic as you can get.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

And those people are wrong, which is why Olympic sprint training includes LSD for aerobic base building in the off-season, despite being about as anaerobic as you can get.

And for like totally exploring your inner sprint man :catdrugs:

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Grifter posted:

There's an easy way to fix this.

Alternate side control, two minutes each. Can't finish? move to here.

:unsmigghh:

That's somewhat similar to the tie-breaker rules for the Eddie Bravo Invitational.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Anaerobic pathways provide energy for, at most, 90 seconds. In a 5-6 minute round, you're using aerobic pathways for significant portions of it.

"more and more S&C types are touting the benefits of HIIT" because it's trendy. HIIT is useful and is something that should be done in addition to aerobic work, not instead of.

I know, I'm just stupid and fat and hate running, but I'll do it. How should I orient my weekly plan then to prepare for conditioning for BJJ? Like I said before, I'm currently doing the WS4SB routine, plus a day of conditioning. Should I switch back to what I do typically during the in season (Bondarchuk complex ) except do it at x3 a week, 30-35min jogs x2 a week and a day a week of conditioning (prowler sprints, farmer walks, sled drags etc.)?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Opinions on jumping rope instead of running? I mean I do both but I found that doing the jumprope helped my cardio for grappling and running as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is how you cardio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz3_MrrxkU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Kit Dale vs Garry Tonon is off for Metamoris since Kit isn't available for some reason. They are looking for a new opponent for Garry.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Rogan says Eddie Bravo and Hickson are going to be on tomorrow.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yuns posted:

Kit Dale vs Garry Tonon is off for Metamoris since Kit isn't available for some reason. They are looking for a new opponent for Garry.

It looks like Metamoris cancelled him being on the card because they couldn't get a crew out to film his prep. If that's true it's the most BJJ thing in history. loving sucks I really wanted to see him compete. Apparently he's in talks to do the next metamoris though.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

origami posted:

Rogan says Eddie Bravo and Hickson are going to be on tomorrow.

In case anyone is wondering, it is confirmed on Joe's official Twitter.

I will be pissed off if this gets derailed by any of the following topics:
-Santa Claus is a psychedelic mushroom
-9/11 conspiracy
-Moon landing conspiracy
-Tumblr feminists
-Deer hunting

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Pocket Billiards posted:

-9/11 conspiracy
-Moon landing conspiracy
-Tumblr feminists
-Deer hunting

Dude, it's Eddie "Tower 7" Bravo, expect dumb poo poo to be said.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Google Butt posted:

Dude, it's Eddie "Tower 7" Bravo, expect dumb poo poo to be said.

eddie could say literally anything retarded and he'd still be less annoying than redban

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

swagger like us posted:

I know, I'm just stupid and fat and hate running, but I'll do it. How should I orient my weekly plan then to prepare for conditioning for BJJ? Like I said before, I'm currently doing the WS4SB routine, plus a day of conditioning. Should I switch back to what I do typically during the in season (Bondarchuk complex ) except do it at x3 a week, 30-35min jogs x2 a week and a day a week of conditioning (prowler sprints, farmer walks, sled drags etc.)?

Do WS4SB or Bondarchuk, probably neither of them is significantly better or worse than the other for purposes of BJJ S&C work. In addition to that, try to do the jogs 3 times a week, and once you're used to them add hill sprints or prowler sprints to the end of them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

-9/11 conspiracy
-Moon landing conspiracy
-Tumblr feminists
-Deer hunting

The last one with Bravo was really good. They just talked about training methods and BJJ. For all the hate Rogan gets he doesn't really go on about conspiracy theories anymore. Unless he calls people stupid bitches or himself a stupid bitch for believing one. Unless he's talking about the Kennedy assassination then he goes on about the Zapruder film and how it's weird.

Also his hate of Tumblr and hunting chat are good, haters gon hate. The only really annoying one he had recently was that old as gently caress conditioning dude who does BJJ going on about Chakras and Doshka breathing and tongue scraping and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Do WS4SB or Bondarchuk, probably neither of them is significantly better or worse than the other for purposes of BJJ S&C work. In addition to that, try to do the jogs 3 times a week, and once you're used to them add hill sprints or prowler sprints to the end of them.

Do you still train hard? I always wanted to see you avenge your amatuer loss to that human muscle that didn't know when his ankle exploded.