Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The way this thread reacts to Foob, you'd think Lynn Johnston literally murdered her children.

Well, she did leave her son out in the snow for crying too much, so there's that.

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/ Yes, but she actually has issues.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, but you guys act like she's an insane devil woman or something. I get that there's an insidious thread of sinister behavior running through the strip, but jesus christ tone it back a bit. "My kids are annoying" has been a comedy staple for about ten million years.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Howard the Duck

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

1. How the hell does a three-story department store have only 40 employees? Our drat pharmacy department by itself in CVS had 24.

Perhaps the store has more employees, but she's only responsible for reviewing these forty.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The way this thread reacts to Foob, you'd think Lynn Johnston literally murdered her children.

Today one person reacted strongly to foob and the other people were like, "Yeah... Not seeing it," so I'm not so sure about that.

In general we are more critical of the "Christ, my kids are annoying" shtick in foob than in other strips because we know this comic is based on a real life family that is now estranged. Going back and looking at the old strips with that knowledge can't help but color things. What stands out to me most is that the strips where Lynn is annoyed by her kids are rarely tempered by strips showing that she loves or even likes her kids. It starts to become less "Christ, my kids are annoying," and more "Christ, I hate my goddamn kids." Some of these are like a cry for help.

I didn't see anything objectionable in today's, though.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Yeah today's is pretty reasonable in a vacuum. Still one of the least hosed up parts of a pretty nasty tale, though.

Unless the unpublished panel 5 was a little girl being held underwater.

Which is also pretty reasonable to assume.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Ghostlight posted:

It depends on how terrible the writer is, but Magneto is generally just a violently pro-active rights-activist who sees himself as defending mutants against genocide by humans. He will try to control or eliminate humans to prevent mutant genocide, but he recognises that humanity will slowly die off as it breeds more mutants and so doesn't strive for wholesale genocide of the species.

Dr. Doom is just a megalomaniac who believes he should rule the world. Genocide is not a goal for him because then he has nothing to command.

And considering that Newspaper Spidey is talking about Newspaper Magneto and Newspaper Doom, as envisioned by an aged and delightfully insane Stan Lee, probably the worst thing Magneto has done is steal all the pies from the U.N. catering kitchen, intending to hold them ransom for an independent mutant state.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Julet Esqu posted:

In general we are more critical of the "Christ, my kids are annoying" shtick in foob than in other strips because we know this comic is based on a real life family that is now estranged. Going back and looking at the old strips with that knowledge can't help but color things. What stands out to me most is that the strips where Lynn is annoyed by her kids are rarely tempered by strips showing that she loves or even likes her kids. It starts to become less "Christ, my kids are annoying," and more "Christ, I hate my goddamn kids." Some of these are like a cry for help.

What happened between her and her family? I know she's spoken about how she was abused by her husband and was thoroughly unprepared for the process of child-rearing, thus her tossing her kid into a snowbank in a classic fit of early-parent frustration. Also, how old are these strips?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

I know everyone loves Dethany which is why we're getting her twice as much!

I can't wait to see how your magic trapeze works in zero-G, Magical Trapeze Kid. And, why is he a pilot? Isn't he like 10? Somehow hanging upside down all your life, and performing in Cirque du Soliel qualifies him as a pilot?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What happened between her and her family? I know she's spoken about how she was abused by her husband and was thoroughly unprepared for the process of child-rearing, thus her tossing her kid into a snowbank in a classic fit of early-parent frustration. Also, how old are these strips?

I don't think her husband ever abused her, but he did cheat on her with his secretary or something. As far as her family goes, I think they're just estranged because they don't like being around their crazy-rear end mom, there wasn't really a particular incident as far as we know. Except in the case of Michael. Buckle in because this is a loving crazy one. Michael (the real Michael, idk what his real name is) was working for his college newspaper when he was sent to photograph a fatal car wreck. The next day he found out that it was an old childhood friend of his that had died in the accident. When Lynn heard about this, she decided the thing to do was to put it into her comic, except changing it so that his old friend lived and she and Michael got married and lived happily ever after. Real Michael, understandably, has rarely spoken to her since.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Helicity posted:

It was a joke...

It's a joke that gets bandied about a lot.

Julet Esqu posted:

I didn't see anything objectionable in today's, though.

For me, another part of it is that the children can never win, and that the stuff they do is rarely worth getting that upset over. I mean it's like, the kid's playing outside but he wants to come in because he's getting attacked by mosquitoes? Nope, you're staying the hell out there. They try to do something nice and make her a cup of coffee? Ugh, they can't do anything right. Outside reading? Can't have any of that, you're going to go clean out the garage because we take care of you for free. Inside watching TV? Oh no, you're going outside to do something right now.

With today's comic, forcing your kid to learn an instrument he doesn't want to play is kind of bad in and of itself. What gets me, though, is that I'm positive there have been comics before where she's complaining about him playing it too loudly and why can't you just do something else for a while.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I don't think her husband ever abused her, but he did cheat on her with his secretary or something. As far as her family goes, I think they're just estranged because they don't like being around their crazy-rear end mom, there wasn't really a particular incident as far as we know. Except in the case of Michael. Buckle in because this is a loving crazy one. Michael (the real Michael, idk what his real name is) was working for his college newspaper when he was sent to photograph a fatal car wreck. The next day he found out that it was an old childhood friend of his that had died in the accident. When Lynn heard about this, she decided the thing to do was to put it into her comic, except changing it so that his old friend lived and she and Michael got married and lived happily ever after. Real Michael, understandably, has rarely spoken to her since.

Wasn't there also some drama about one of her kids being gay? I vaguely hearing that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I might be misremembering it, but in real life her son was a photo journo, he came to a flaming wreck that happened to involve his high school sweetheart and he took pictures of it. In Foobland, he heroically tore the door off, saved her, married her, and had kids with her.
Her daughter travelled all over the world and was involved in helping the needy abroad. In the strip she comes back after one tour and marries the blandest man alive and stays by her mother's side forever.

EDIT: ok I got some details wrong, still it's a very hosed up thing.

I also remember that when Lynn was redoing the strip from the very beginning she handled Michael and Deanna's grade school crush like this fated romance from destiny.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 15, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

I don't think her husband ever abused her, but he did cheat on her with his secretary or something.

Oh no, it was much more interesting than that, because her husband was actually screwing Lynn's chief FOOB staffer, who very suddenly was unpersoned on the official website. The disintegration of her marriage led directly to Lynn kicking the full-blown retirement can down the road a few years, as well as a newspaper profile which talked about her eating her dinner over the sink.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 16, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

At 1/1000 scale, that'd be, what, 15 miles long?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

god dammit Batiuk you are friends with Tony Isabella run this poo poo by him

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Allen Wren posted:

At 1/1000 scale, that'd be, what, 15 miles long?

The Great Wall is 5500 miles long, so 5.5 miles. Opus bought his gift box from Dr. Who.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Is that a racial slur I'm not aware of or something?

Andertoons

Zachary Nixon Johnson

It stepped away from it for a while, but ZNJ's really starting to feel like a fetish comic again.

Dick Tracy

Maybe not what?

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Wanamingo posted:

I thought it was the second one because he's only halfway through the book.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"The killer was just about to be exposed when you knocked"

Breathes heavily, motions for the Inspector to follow him, walks down the hallway, picks up the book from on the seat of the chair, sits in the chair, opens book to where he was reading.

"on my door!"

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Wanamingo posted:

Wee Pals

It's a groaner of a baseball pun. Fly balls to outfield compared to a grounder bouncing through the infield.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

...what?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Green Intern posted:

Is the doctor supposed to be a pedophile, because that's the only thing I'm seeing when I look at this. :stare:

This is intolerably bad.
It was a fairly obvious joke for an edit.
The eerie part was I predicted that his mustache would disappear.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wanamingo posted:

Wee Pals

Baseball terms: Flies, as in balls hit into the air. Grounders, as in balls that travel along the ground.

quote:

Or maybe they just wear different shapes of glasses to differentiate themselves?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Morrie was the best.

This cannot be repeated enough.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

He's handing over the reins, or tongs as it were. For the first time in twenty something years, his son is doing the barbecuing. It's something of a ceremonial moment, a final rite of passage.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Wanamingo posted:

Wee Pals

Jesus, Trihn is out for loving blood on this one. :stare:

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Huh? Is this an edit?

e: oh :ms:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The maxim of "if Arlo and Janis doesn't make sense then it is about sex" still holds true.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's only one man with a bucket on his head that matters. Gilchrist you fucker. :argh:

:regd10:

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

I just read the car accident strips for the first time as a result of this, and holy poo poo. I had always assumed he was angry at her just for the basic reason that she turned a traumatic event for him into a comic strip. Now that I see WHAT SORT of comic strip she turned it into, I'm blown away by how cruel it is and how the hell somebody could do a thing like this to their own son. In the comic, Michael acts like a jerk at the scene of the accident, doesn't help the rescuers, and is happy and excited because he's getting to take photos of a dead or injured person. It's a whole storyline of him being a dick and then the big payoff moment is when his mother tells him it actually matters because it was a girl he knew, and he learns a supposedly heartwarming lesson about the need for compassion.

If I had just lost a friend in a car accident, and someone turned it into something like that and printed it all over the place, I'd probably never speak to them again either. Wow.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Don't forget the part where Comic Strip Michael went on to marry that girl and they had two beautiful children together and Michael specifically states that he is the happiest he could ever possibly be.

This was after Real Life Michael came out of the closet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wanamingo posted:

Dick Tracy

Maybe not what?
It happened!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Don't forget the part where Comic Strip Michael went on to marry that girl and they had two beautiful children together and Michael specifically states that he is the happiest he could ever possibly be.

Oh my God, I didn't know about that last bit. Lynn is loving certifiable.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

RandomFerret posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know about that last part either. That's crazy.

Honestly, I think I'd be pretty uncomfortable having a parent who wrote a fictional version of my life for a living, even if they avoided anything weird or objectionable. It's one thing to have characters and events based on people and things from your own life - every storyteller does that to some degree - but to create something apparently so close to your real life but pass it off as fiction is just kind of strange.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ok, I'm convinced. So, who's gonna drive the stake through her heart?

Wanamingo posted:

Wow, I can't believe I actually got an Inspector Danger right.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Nine Ten Chickweed Lane

This must be another mistake. Usually we don't see Brooke's windbags spring a leak like that.

Pibgorn

Someone in the audience has really bad aim. That wine bottle didn't even come close to the stage.

Oh, my mistake. Carry on then.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Yes. This is why they snuck into the prop closet. :what:

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Newspaper comic colorist has to be the easiest job ever. Plants have green leaves. Time to go home for the night.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lost Side of Suburbia

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
What the hell is going on in Lost Side of Suburbia? It's just a mess anymore.

Geech keeps having blackout problems.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

1. How the hell does a three-story department store have only 40 employees? Our drat pharmacy department by itself in CVS had 24.

2. Norm Feuti's idea of good business practice is apparently giving everyone the maximum raise possible regardless of performance and two months after the entire store was caught leaving the sales floor empty to gently caress around on Instagram. :hurr:
  1. If there are 40 employees, why have we only ever seen about half a dozen?
  2. All the protagonists should be given all the money no matter what, obviously, but the evil business won't give it to them. That's what makes them evil.

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

To recap: Computer bug proposed to Auto-correct, Auto-correct said no and ran off crying because Computer Bug is immortal and she felt she'll become outdated in a few years as an app.
It always annoys me that they refer to auto-correct as an app. It isn't. It's a function that many different apps have. And if computer bug is the avatar of every computer problem that has ever or will ever exist, why would auto-correct not also be the avatar of every spellcheck feature? She should be immortal too.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I can't wait to see how your magic trapeze works in zero-G, Magical Trapeze Kid. And, why is he a pilot? Isn't he like 10? Somehow hanging upside down all your life, and performing in Cirque du Soliel qualifies him as a pilot?
That's not the magical trapeze kid, it's his father, who also has a magical trapeze. And forget about how it will work in zero-G, how does it work on Earth? Also, I bet they'll have artificial gravity on their space ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

don Jaime posted:

What the hell is going on in Lost Side of Suburbia? It's just a mess anymore.

It's pretty straightforward, actually. York meets up with a group of people in the mysterious woods, they come across an inn, and now each is telling a story to the innkeeper to be able to stay for the night. Each style-change is just a different story.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 16, 2014

• Locked thread