Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Sagan posted:

I just want to take a moment to clear up any misconceptions about our Monsterhearts campaign. It is a wholesome game about church-going teenagers and there are a lot of Bible verses.

Together we learn lessons about life, love, faith, and loyalty.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/pastor-dave-letter/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I guess I'm just worried about the fairly narrow case of someone who would be turned off by a game bringing up "sex moves" as the very first thing they see regarding the game (the trifold), but would be fine with the idea coming up a session or two in, after they became more comfortable playing their character.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

I believe I have the longest history of running AW pbp on the forum, and at no point has a sex move ever come up

That is a pretty good argument in favour of replacing them with "hang out with someone/share a moment of reflection" or whatever moves, with a more general trigger. AW is already designed to emulate the structure and pacing of a TV series, so having those moves trigger off quietly contemplating the sunset or sharing a beer or whatever with another "cast" member would make more sense than them just being for fuckin'.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's worth pointing out that Urban Shadows rewords them as "when you share a moment of intimacy, physical or emotional..."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is probably going to be a ways off, but I got the idea and fell in love with said idea of running an Uncharted/Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones style treasure hunting archaeological adventure-themed game. My question is, Atomic Robo is perfect for that, right? I mean, it's basically action science + history.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sure.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That is a pretty good argument in favour of replacing them with "hang out with someone/share a moment of reflection" or whatever moves, with a more general trigger. AW is already designed to emulate the structure and pacing of a TV series, so having those moves trigger off quietly contemplating the sunset or sharing a beer or whatever with another "cast" member would make more sense than them just being for fuckin'.

I really dislike the prevailing notion that all games have to "emulate" a genre. If a game wants to come up with a genre that's not seen anywhere else, let it do so. I think AW is a game that tries to do this, which is also why it's written in such a strong voice. Everything is done to evoke its atmosphere. I think is about being chaotic and messy. There's dirt, and grease, and blood, and guts, and sex. AW's inhabitants are reduced to animals. Making sex moves represent a moment of peace instead of another messy, dirty, animalesque situation would be introducing a thing in AW that's clean and safe, and that goes completely against the entire premise.

That said, I don't know if PbtA is good for newbie GMs, but from experience it is excellent for newbie players. Newbie players have this idea that there are "correct actions" to take in the context of the game, because that's what video games and every other game teaches them. PbtA does a wonderful job of teaching them to just say what your character would do, never mind what you think they should do.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Waffleman_ posted:

This is probably going to be a ways off, but I got the idea and fell in love with said idea of running an Uncharted/Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones style treasure hunting archaeological adventure-themed game. My question is, Atomic Robo is perfect for that, right? I mean, it's basically action science + history.

Run It In GURPS

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Waffleman_ posted:

I've yet to look at Atomic Robo, but I hear it's great. The setting's basically weird science+punching Nazis, and since it uses Fate you should be able to file off the weird science bits for a game more along the lines of the stuff you mentioned.

That said, Fate Core and Accelerated are both pay-what-you-want, so you could give them a look and see if you could get a game together just using those ingredients. I'd personally go for Accelerated for the type of game you described, but if you want finer granularity between skills and stuff you should look at Fate Core and Atomic Robo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, I'm familiar with Fate, all but two of the PBPs I'm in are some form of Fate. I was just seeing which one I should use. I guess all three of them have their merits for what I'm trying to do.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's worth pointing out that Urban Shadows rewords them as "when you share a moment of intimacy, physical or emotional..."

There was an early draft of Urban Shadows that had a move for The Aware that read something like "When you agree to help a person in need, trigger both your sex moves." I thought that was a pretty interesting way of using the mechanic to emulate other important genre moments, and nudge players in certain directions.

When I was tooling around with a Superhero World hack (as everyone first time designer is destined to do at some point, it's a right of passage) I made a point of making all the of sex moves 'save moves', because I felt that was more central to the genre. Course most successful AW hacks are set in 'sexy' genres anyway.

WordMercenary fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 16, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Tollymain posted:

They're as bad as the rest of this godforsaken hobby when it comes to ignoring and dismissing marginalized people being harassed by the worst elements. If that's OK with you, go ahead and give them your money I guess.

This is absolutely, positively untrue. Sage LaTorra is, over the last two days, having an extended Facebook conversation with me as he tries to determine the truth about Zak Smith. From what I've determined, he was skeptical about the accusations but has gone through an eye-opening experience as he has seen Zak's behavior and people have come forward with their stories. He is incredibly concerned. He has gone out of his way to network and find people and get their stories to understand the truth. That's the opposite of ignorant and dismissive.

By the way, thanks for sending him my way RulebookHeavily.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Maltose posted:

The best solution is to actually have people read the moves and realize it's not Cosmo's Top Ten Moves For Grappling School, but about how intimacy could change the relationship between two characters. There's a reason a Hardholder gives someone a gift, why a Faceless can show up to someone's side even if it makes no sense, why a Driver has to get out of Dodge, why a Battlebabe gets nothing and gives nothing. They reinforce the thematics of the playbook even if they never come up in play.

This is pretty true, and a reminder that in the book they are referred to as the Special Move (although they all begin with "When you and another character have sex...")

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Gau posted:

This is absolutely, positively untrue. Sage LaTorra is, over the last two days, having an extended Facebook conversation with me as he tries to determine the truth about Zak Smith. From what I've determined, he was skeptical about the accusations but has gone through an eye-opening experience as he has seen Zak's behavior and people have come forward with their stories. He is incredibly concerned. He has gone out of his way to network and find people and get their stories to understand the truth. That's the opposite of ignorant and dismissive.

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news but something changed in the past two day as there is a good chance that he just completely ignored you if you are the person who he referenced.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 16, 2014

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

This is pretty true, and a reminder that in the book they are referred to as the Special Move (although they all begin with "When you and another character have sex...")

poo poo; I've been playing too much Monsterhearts.

Now I'm starting to feel incredulous about people getting irksome around AW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gau posted:

What was Sage doing in the first place that has people assuming he's part of Zak's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and telling people not to buy his stuff? Anything at all?

I think Sage is a cool guy.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Halloween Jack posted:

What was Sage doing in the first place that has people assuming he's part of Zak's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and telling people not to buy his stuff? Anything at all?

I think Sage is a cool guy.
Whining and complaining that people are angry that Wizards of the Coast actually hired a bunch of assholes.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Gau posted:

He at the very least seems to be trying to play both sides of the court here. That said:

Tollymain posted:

They're as bad as the rest of this godforsaken hobby when it comes to ignoring and dismissing marginalized people being harassed by the worst elements. If that's OK with you, go ahead and give them your money I guess.

While I nominally agree with this based on events as I see them, take the inflammatory grandstanding to score points elsewhere. As in not here.

EDIT: By that I mean the IF YOU WANT TO GIVE YOUR MONEY TO TERRORISM I GUESS THAT IS OK WITH YOU.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 16, 2014

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
I am not reading that loving shitstorm of a Google Plus thread again, but he did claim that he though that this was some sort of conspiracy against Zak S. Which is pretty loving stupid.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Just link the stupid thing: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SageLaTorra/posts/3THPGUUGECu

I assume that the "oops" edits came after Gau got in touch with him.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

MadScientistWorking posted:

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news but something changed in the past two days. Even stuff that is downright sexist and misogynistic directed towards Fred Hicks of all people was dismissed.

That's intriguing, given that he's expressing great concern over the conversation about this and has asked me to point him in the direction of this thread. He doesn't have an account (and is very busy at the moment with The Real World), but has asked me to pass this along:

Sage LaTorra posted:

I posted before getting more info from you and therefore said things I no longer stand by. I aim to correct this.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Gau posted:

If he's actually coming around that's great but not just an hour or so ago I saw him doing some sad hand-wringing on twitter about how hard it is to truth-is-in-the-middle-guys.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dagon posted:

Just link the stupid thing: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SageLaTorra/posts/3THPGUUGECu

I assume that the "oops" edits came after Gau got in touch with him.

Goddamnit why did I click that link.

gently caress this hobby.

e: jesus that whole thread is Terrible Industry People Bingo.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 16, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

neongrey posted:

If he's actually coming around that's great but not just an hour or so ago I saw him doing some sad hand-wringing on twitter about how hard it is to truth-is-in-the-middle-guys.
On top of that he was arguing that a bunch of lovely and overtly sexist stuff wasn't lovely or overtly sexist.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sage isn't Zak S., he's just like every other jackass who ignores actually marginalized people because there's just not enough evidence guys it's hard to figure out things. Far more common and just as hurtful.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There is something morbidly humorous about Sage trying to give Zak S and Pundit the benefit of the doubt and them vomiting that right back into his face.

Like.

Dude.

It's not as if you didn't know this would happen.

Anyways I'm kinda confused where Sage stands because he initially agreed with Zak S then didn't then did again then said "ignore the whole thread" so who even knows. That said literally every non-white dude that posted in that thread was posting about the problems with the two in question, and was kinda vindicated by GMS busting in to go "Minority views are often LIES that you should ignore."

It's a bit of a perfect storm right now; 5e's accredation and Mearls secretly telling Zak S about all the things people have been emailing him have shown just how loving horrifyingly rotten the core of this hobby is, and the vindication that Zak S and Pundit have gotten over 5e has lead them (and their hanger-ons like GMS) to be more aggressive in their terribleness then ever. This is a pretty poo poo time for the hobby, at least if you aren't a "traditionalist" het white dude

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dude, I'm the whitest white boy I know, not to mention het, and I assure you it's terrible for me too.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Ah, nuts. Are Evil Hat okay? Besides Avery Mcdaldno who's alright in the big RPG writing circles?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 16, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what you're saying is that Mike Mearls has lost all credibility as a decent human being, never mind a competent game designer?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You can't tell me you didn't see the Mearls thing coming.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Evil Hat isn't actively malevolent and they aren't utterly terrible at design.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Evil Hat seems like a cool dude from twitter, but who knows anymore.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly I didn't. I like to assume people are at least somewhat ethical before they prove me wrong :(

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Last I heard Evil Hat were quality about this sort of thing.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I didn't see him giving info to Zak, no. There's the usual background bullshit and then there's actually harmful behavior.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mearls secretly telling Zak S about all the things people have been emailing him

Haha holy poo poo, did this really happen?

Why am I asking, of course it happened, of course he would do that.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's a bit of a perfect storm right now; 5e's accredation and Mearls secretly telling Zak S about all the things people have been emailing him

Link?

And I've seldom seen anything more than idiocy against most of the Indy crowd tbh - or most of Evil Hat. Even Eclipse Phase are pretty good so far as I can tell (not that I'd touch their rules - but that's taste). In fact I'm prepared to say that so far as I can tell most people including Sage aren't actively malevolent. ZakS, Pundit, and Skarka (and seemingly Mearls) I can do without (Skarka's time would, of course, be better spent on Far West or Buckaroo Banzai...) but for the rest it normally sounds like stupid/naive.

Edit: Evil Hat have called one of their games out within the text of the game itself. Dresden Files and commenting on the artwork - that it's all iconic scenes from the books, and female NPCs in the Dresdenverse with power are often short on clothing. I'm not sure what to make of that.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 16, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dude, I'm the whitest white boy I know, not to mention het, and I assure you it's terrible for me too.

Same here, this poo poo is awful. Why does this hobby attract so much of this kind of poo poo? What is it about Tabletop Gaming and RPGs in particular that causes this kind of thing?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mearls secretly telling Zak S about all the things people have been emailing him

What.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Same here, this poo poo is awful. Why does this hobby attract so much of this kind of poo poo? What is it about Tabletop Gaming and RPGs in particular that causes this kind of thing?

The anonymity/lack of consequences on the Internet and the Geek Social Fallacies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Night10194 posted:

What is it about tabletop gaming? Not what you think. Few other hobbies allow you such a tour through peoples' fantasies. If you're involved in model railways you don't have to hear about anything other than what they think about model railways. If you're interested in birdwatching what they think about politics doesn't matter. RPGs are right up there with fiction in encouraging Author Tracts and people to display what they really believe.

• Locked thread