Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

bitmap posted:

long live mr scooty

Oh, he must be gender fluid then. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Speaking of, how'd that stuff with Dreamworks turn out?

groweedallday posted:

CAFFIEND SHOW

I agree with Coffee man's volume - its pretty hard to hear him.
Also, he seems kinda...lifeless. The way he just stares dead at you - with those eyes, undressing me with his gaze. :ohdear:
I normally don't watch talk shows, so I don't know if that's just the way they work in general - but I think that if you could get him to act out a bit more/and maybe be a bit more expressive it would help you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

scarycave posted:

Oh, he must be gender fluid then. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Speaking of, how'd that stuff with Dreamworks turn out?

(Mr scooty is the scooter) It's still going! I meet with some producers for storyboard pow-wows in three weeks!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

groweedallday posted:

A super short comic animation called the

CAFFIEND SHOW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPiQUsVXCBs

You should work a lot more on the lip-synch for something like this, cause it isn't matching up with the audio at all. Also, as other people have mentioned, the volume is way too low.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So this is my entry for this month's 11 Second club. Critiques? Is it good enough to put on a reel with a bit of polish?
http://youtu.be/yH2mHrzLkis

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

Ccs posted:

So this is my entry for this month's 11 Second club. Critiques? Is it good enough to put on a reel with a bit of polish?

It lacks in weight and push, I think. Some of the moves and poses seem a tad weak for what's going on, so I'd suggest going through the keys and refine them a bit more to make what's going on a little more clearer before putting it on a reel. And the transition from the first and the second clip is a bit jarring. Other than that, good job! Can't think of anything else to comment on. :)

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

loopdeloop entry for the theme "block".

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

You made me laugh at dead child. Good job you loving monster.

Been trying to animate some stuff, but I can't seem to do anything more than blob things in a white void. It's pretty intimidating to have to keep drawing stuff for every-frame.

Also, here's a thing from last months thread:

Ccs posted:

Not sure if its good enough for a reel or not but the action does seem kinda slow.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
What are yall using to animate this stuff? I always assumed Adobe flash but I looked at the program a while ago and it was like, for web design and creating flash games and javascript stuff. I was expecting it to be something with a bunch of frames side by side or something. I'm just a little bit curious about the actual process of animating. It seems so cool! I know you can do a bit of frame by frame stuff in Photoshop or something apparently, but I'm not sure how to manipulate that, and I'm also more interested in the process of the longer cartoons like the one quoted in the post above (and the 3D one someone said they made for the "11 second club"). When I was a kid I did take an animation class at an art school one summer, and it was a thing where the project was that you made a little flipbook, but I remember mine sucked because while flipping back and forth I couldn't get the lines just right and it looked really jittery and jumpy.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Devoyniche posted:

What are yall using to animate this stuff? I always assumed Adobe flash but I looked at the program a while ago and it was like, for web design and creating flash games and javascript stuff. I was expecting it to be something with a bunch of frames side by side or something. I'm just a little bit curious about the actual process of animating. It seems so cool! I know you can do a bit of frame by frame stuff in Photoshop or something apparently, but I'm not sure how to manipulate that, and I'm also more interested in the process of the longer cartoons like the one quoted in the post above (and the 3D one someone said they made for the "11 second club"). When I was a kid I did take an animation class at an art school one summer, and it was a thing where the project was that you made a little flipbook, but I remember mine sucked because while flipping back and forth I couldn't get the lines just right and it looked really jittery and jumpy.

Well, if your interested in 3D, Autodesk is really generous with trials - if your a student, you can pretty much use Maya for like a few months. Blender is free but its pretty alien to me. Maya might be a bit much to take in if your starting out but there's a lot of tuts out there that can help you.

You can do some stuff in Photoshop, but its basic. Photoshop for example will have you go about making every new frame you add invisible since it will sort of apply it to every frame. You can cheat this if you copy a non-visible frame (its what I do for the animations I do on the computer that aren't hand drawn) and it won't show up on all the other frames.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I still need to do some shading, but I'm really happy with this little snippet of animation from the next cartoon I'm working on. I think I might make Mel (the purple one) react when SRM (the blue one) uncrosses his arms instead of when he grabs his hand though:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I got bored so I decided to make an effort robot.

edit:
Here's another machine so he doesn't get lonely.

scarycave fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 8, 2014

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Those are SUPER fun and I hope you keep playing with 3D stuff. I really like the dog-type one.

Aaaaaaanimation. Haaand pain.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

redcheval posted:

Those are SUPER fun and I hope you keep playing with 3D stuff. I really like the dog-type one.

Aaaaaaanimation. Haaand pain.

I kind of got lazy with these. I didn't even weight paint them - or give 'em a proper UV layout.
Glad you like them though, really wasn't sure how they were going to turn out because I haven't played with Maya in awhile since I've been doing that hand drawn stuff. I probably should get back to working with it more often though. I just kind of like 2D better though - well, how it looks anyways. That's probably why I liked Paper Man so much, its like its in both dimensions.

Your eel looks pretty cool though. Especially when he stalls a bit before turning and the way the markings move.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I know what you mean, I always try to get some work done in 3D programs and it just isn't what my head is wired for I guess. I love love love After Effects and 2D (but I love the look of 3D stuff. Even low effort 3D can be fun!).

These hand drawn things are super fun practice. But very time consuming!

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Cross-posting from the pixel art thread:

Best observed while listening to glitch hop.
I made it for Pixel Joint's weekly challenge.

RabidGolfCart fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 13, 2014

Aleque
Sep 20, 2010

Toonhaze Animator
I am making a female character for my new animation. Can someone please give me some critique? Especially regarding hair shapes.

My goal is to make her out of as simple shapes as possible but the hair seems to be the hardest part especially considering that I'm going to have to draw her from different angles and animate her.

That's why I am considering whether I have to simplify her (and her hair further)

Please tell me what you think - honest feedback is much appreciated :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aleque fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 15, 2014

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBw2mWlRzrA
Animated this bumper for one of the production companies responsible for the AVGN movie. An edited version is in the most recent trailer

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Aleque posted:

I am making a female character for my new animation. Can someone please give me some critique? Especially regarding hair shapes.

My goal is to make her out of as simple shapes as possible but the hair seems to be the hardest part especially considering that I'm going to have to draw her from different angles and animate her.

That's why I am considering whether I have to simplify her (and her hair further)

Please tell me what you think - honest feedback is much appreciated :)

I think the only way to figure this out, is to try animating her yourself. Not something to complicated, but something that will get you drawing her from different angles like having her head roll around in an exorcist fashion - so you get all the angles, and if its too much for you, you can make changes as you see fit.

Now for content, I'm out of time for this so I'm posting it as is. Feathers are a complete mystery to me.

Also it kind of looks like a dong.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Crosspostin' from the daily doodles thread. Got some super-boil going on in that neck region that I'm not happy about but it was still fun, and I cranked it out in like three hours :downs: learning a lot about maintaining line consistency just through practice like this though.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I didn't know whether to post this in 3D, animation or Wacom thread. Going with Animation.

I've started a new role at work; animation!

This is the second one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbJ1DuiDSis

Each one is a 30-second clip to go with the voice-over. I wanted to mix 3D animation with 2D drawings, (the Deathly Hallows animation is maybe my favorite example of that). Next week, I've got 3 more to do.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I can't think of anywhere else that's appropriate to ask this (if there is, please direct me): say I'm trying to storyboard out a short and I'm shooting for it to be under a certain length -- is there an effective way to estimate the length of the short based on my boards? I mean, if it comes down to it, I'll (badly) record some scratch dialogue and do it up in an animatic , but that's only if it comes to that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

How in-depth are your boards? Are you trying to simulate camera angles or is there a lot of dialog and you're only changing the camera angle once a character has finished speaking? So it really depends. For example for a 1 minute 30 second short animated film I did I think I had around 40 panels, but that was mostly action scenes with no dialog, though I didn't try to simulate a camera angle changing mid action.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

nikochansan posted:

I can't think of anywhere else that's appropriate to ask this (if there is, please direct me): say I'm trying to storyboard out a short and I'm shooting for it to be under a certain length -- is there an effective way to estimate the length of the short based on my boards? I mean, if it comes down to it, I'll (badly) record some scratch dialogue and do it up in an animatic , but that's only if it comes to that.

I just put it on a timeline and see how it "feels" especially with audio.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

Ccs posted:

How in-depth are your boards? Are you trying to simulate camera angles or is there a lot of dialog and you're only changing the camera angle once a character has finished speaking? So it really depends. For example for a 1 minute 30 second short animated film I did I think I had around 40 panels, but that was mostly action scenes with no dialog, though I didn't try to simulate a camera angle changing mid action.

Well, it isn't a full board, but I have all the dialogue written out and that will be on the board if that helps? Like, I don't have all the little movement stuff hashed out yet, but it's definitely in my head, I always try to draw that stuff out, it's super fun (it just gets kinda weird when I try to draw comics). It's basically like a thumbnail of the short, but not really?

SRM posted:

I just put it on a timeline and see how it "feels" especially with audio.

Yeah I kinda want to wait until I have the whole board finished to do that! I'll have to rope one of my friends into recording scratch dialogue with me, that should be fun.

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp

nikochansan posted:

Well, it isn't a full board, but I have all the dialogue written out and that will be on the board if that helps? Like, I don't have all the little movement stuff hashed out yet, but it's definitely in my head, I always try to draw that stuff out, it's super fun (it just gets kinda weird when I try to draw comics). It's basically like a thumbnail of the short, but not really?

Do you mind posting the dialogue as a script? If you break up the dialogue into scenes with cuts in them, it can give you a better idea of how many drawings you need. If your dialogue is 20 seconds long, but there are a bunch of camera changes and/or acting, how ever amount of drawings you make will be for those 20 seconds. If your character is drinking coffee and talking for 10-seconds, that could be boarded as like 3 panels or even 10 depending on how you wanna go about the situation. I hope this helps?

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

schmarson posted:

Do you mind posting the dialogue as a script? If you break up the dialogue into scenes with cuts in them, it can give you a better idea of how many drawings you need. If your dialogue is 20 seconds long, but there are a bunch of camera changes and/or acting, how ever amount of drawings you make will be for those 20 seconds. If your character is drinking coffee and talking for 10-seconds, that could be boarded as like 3 panels or even 10 depending on how you wanna go about the situation. I hope this helps?

Well, I mean, I've already begun boarding them out, it's less that I need audio length translated into an amount of drawings, it's vice versa: the drawings that I have I'm trying to estimate how long they'd be in the finished short, which, like others have said, my best bet is most likely just putting all the panels on a timeline with some audio/ scratch dialogue to get a good audio/visual on that

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I apologize for the double post, but I figured I'd go ahead and post this here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43568612/computers.mov

Just a little lip sync test, a lot shorter than the one I attempted earlier

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Keep on keepin on

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

^^^ looking super rad.

Some icon animations from one of my last mograph projects!

e: and another!

mareep fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 22, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Here's a chick rig thing I'm cross-postin'

I don't why, but I haven't really been able to do poo poo lately.
I just can't motivate myself anymore.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Do you have a set routine that you work on? For me habits have been really crucial to getting anything done. Also the fear of long term unemployment works in lieu of company imposed deadlines.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Ccs posted:

Do you have a set routine that you work on? For me habits have been really crucial to getting anything done. Also the fear of long term unemployment works in lieu of company imposed deadlines.

Not really. I'd usually animate things that come into my head - or just make myself draw out some practice exercise, but now I just get kind of bummed out.

I guess maybe some sort of structure or game-plan would help. I have no idea how to set one up though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wrote one down, and then started following it. Here's what my current schedule is. Been working well for the past few months:

9-10: Wake up, breakfast.
10-12: Drawing
12-3: Animation
3-3:30: Lunch
3:30-6: Rigging
6-8: Dinner, relax
8-9:30: Animation
9:30-11: Programming

Pretty soon it gets so ingrained as a pattern you don't really think about it anymore. It's just what you do. And inspiration comes sort of as a necessity to keep you focused during that time.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Loopdeloop entry for "Childhood". Scenes from the farm, or; "I'm sorry, fish".

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Awesome. I really like your style and color choices, and the animation has really good retention of form!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

thankyou!

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
Does anyone here have experience making a full-blown short? Like, 4-5 minutes or so. I'm in the pre-process of doing one as a test and if I'm successful, I want to do more, but if I had some advice, that'd help immensely

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

nikochansan posted:

Does anyone here have experience making a full-blown short? Like, 4-5 minutes or so. I'm in the pre-process of doing one as a test and if I'm successful, I want to do more, but if I had some advice, that'd help immensely

The longest short I've ever made, was 3:20. It was 100% improv. though so its really more of 3 or so shorts and it didn't use a story board or script or anything. For the most part.

I got an idea, wrote down a brief summary of what was going to happen.
Did some story-boardish stuff so I could get a feeling of what it would look like.
When I was okay with the way it played out, I started drawing up the animation and put it together.

I guess if your making something of a story, you'll want to make a script, and then a story-board so you can sort of visualize everything and have it jotted down.

Also, scheduling is not my strong suit. I'm trying to get myself drawing at least 1-3 hours a day.
It's having mixed results right now, but its better than nothing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

nikochansan posted:

I've made a bunch of cartoons, but haven't done one that long in quite some time. Most of the time my 5+ minute animations were just really dialogue heavy. I just finished animating a 3 minute one but that took me a year of on and off work on it, and I lost interest a couple times here and there. Staying focused on it is the hardest part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

nikochansan posted:

Its gonna take longer than you think. I'd focus on rapid iteration. Storyboard it aggressively and as many times as you can, then throw it away and storyboard it all again from scratch. Draw your characters as much as you possibly can, you want to know them inside out before you start animating.

Get outside opinion from people you trust often. Your work environment is very important, it's down to personal preference but I would not want to work from home.

Get help if you can. Having even one extra person makes things far more manageable.