Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, FFT is sort if infamously easy and simple to break. Even just a party of monks can carry you through a good chunk of the game without much difficulty.

Mind you, its infamously easy the second time around, or after chapter 1, Chapter 1 is actually really tough, especially the archers in dorter. If they get their act together and gang up on Ramza instead of Delita or Algus, the fight can be pretty hard. Hell even the first Weigraf fight can be difficult if you have slacked in your jobs and leveling.

The game is at its easiest once you recruit one particular busted character who dominates all combats from that point on. I can't imagine he was placed in the game as anything other than a way to ensure bad players were able to finish the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, FFT's difficulty curve starts on the high end, then drops down quite a bit as you start branching out your Jobs and abilities (with a few spikes back up, like Riovannes Castle).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, FFT's difficulty curve starts on the high end, then drops down quite a bit as you start branching out your Jobs and abilities (with a few spikes back up, like Riovannes Castle).

I wonder how many people have restarted FFT simply becuse of that one battle

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Is there any non-graphical difference between the PS3 and Vita versions of X/X2?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The sound quality for the Vita versions are a fair bit worse.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Flytrap posted:

Is there any non-graphical difference between the PS3 and Vita versions of X/X2?

Isaaru's summons have different names between the PS3/Vita versions. Who the gently caress knows why.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
As long as the game's the same I can deal. I just don't want to use up 22 gigs when I only care about X2.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In case you did want to see the graphical difference, here is the Digital Foundry face off for FFX HD for PS2 (original) vs PS3 vs Vita.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-final-fantasy-hd-remaster-face-off

quote:

"The Vita version compares very favourably to PS3 visually, with just minor cutbacks to the remastered textures."
This is selling the PS3 version short, in my opinion. The 1080p PS3 vs 720p PS3 screen shot gallery at the bottom of the screen shows quite a significant improvement.

It doesn't mention X-2 at all, so I would assume it's the same deal overall.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Aurain posted:

The "insane challenge" mod patch for the game seems more focused on setting you against bullshit combos you need to specifically counter rather than just making the game straight up difficult as well, but I haven't played a lot of it and may be wide of the mark later on into the FFT 1.3 patch gameplay missions.

I beat FFT 1.3, and you're pretty spot on. It doesn't make the game more difficult so much as it turns every battle into a frustrating puzzle that punishes you for trying anything new.

There are some fun things in there, but overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they're way into FFT mechanics. It's not really a mod you can play casually and overcome through sheer determination.

Regalingualius posted:

Really? I could've sworn I read somewhere that Aim's charge time is negated by using a Gun (since it's just pulling a trigger versus drawing back a bowstring/getting ready to swing a melee weapon), but I admittedly never actually tried it because of how utterly pointless it would be to go to all that effort for something so subpar. :v:

Nah. Different weapons only change the damage formula, not the speed of the ability. Short charge doesn't affect aim speed either (or jump for that matter). The archer class in general isn't very useful, and nothing you learn through archer will really pair with other classes.

Jump is more handy than charge because it's CTR50/speed, so you can at least influence it. Also you have the benefit of being invincible while waiting on it to go through.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've been replaying FF9 lately and I just need to brag about this.

On the second battle with Beatrix, you can steal a really nice sword from her. But there's only a 1 in 256 chance of stealing the drat thing, and to make matters worse the battle will end after a certain number of turns. It's practically impossible to get this sword from this battle.

This was literally my first action of the battle.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Fucker. Envy is the only reason I have to wish you ill when you throw down with Hill GigasHilgigars.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Fucker. Envy is the only reason I have to wish you ill when you throw down with Hill GigasHilgigars.

I just got the Fairy Flute off of Hilgigars actually :unsmigghh:

First time I ever stole it in the billion playthroughs I've done haha (I still lost count of how many turns it took)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the ice brand isn't a huge deal at all. You get one from a treasure chest like five minutes later.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Joey McChrist posted:

I just got the Fairy Flute off of Hilgigars actually :unsmigghh:

First time I ever stole it in the billion playthroughs I've done haha (I still lost count of how many turns it took)

The last time I played had it happen on the first turn.

It was amazing.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Is there any equipment in FFIX that can come ONLY from stealing from a boss? Most of them have such low steal chances that it sounds like a great waste of time.

Edit: If I ever replay FFIX I am just going to hack in Master Thief from the very start of the game

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

maou shoujo posted:

Is there any equipment in FFIX that can come ONLY from stealing from a boss? Most of them have such low steal chances that it sounds like a great waste of time.

Edit: If I ever replay FFIX I am just going to hack in Master Thief from the very start of the game

Not that I recall. You can steal some items that you can't buy/forge but you typically find one in a chest anyways.

I think the dumbest thing I did was stealing the Mage Masher from Baku at the beginning, using the second dyne (you normally won't have) skill during the battle where Garnet is captured by the plant monster. Doing so kills Garnet and you gameover.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the ice brand isn't a huge deal at all. You get one from a treasure chest like five minutes later.

Hey man, don't demean that accomplishment.

Without master thief the ultra rare steals are less than a 1% success rate.

maou shoujo posted:

There are zero "must have" steals in the game. It's not like pilfering genji equipment in FFV/FFT/whatever. Also, with master thief the rare stuff is bumped up to a whopping 12.5% success rate (after the initial steal hit roll), so it's still a pain.

You can get demon mail from Tantarian which is useful against Ozma, but you can just flat out buy it later so there's no reason to bother. You can buy the fairy flute later too, and the early abilities aren't worth the headache of stealing it.

The whole of stealing in FFIX is just a tease.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

maou shoujo posted:

Pretty sure everything is available via Stiltzkin, shops, treasure or synthesizing.

Some things are only available in limited quantities though, like the Pumice Piece from Ozma. Except that doing that particular one robs you of the Pumice that he drops (which can be considered a more valuable prize if you want Dagger to learn all her summons).

Otherwise most really good steal stuff is usually just the chance to get things much earlier than they would otherwise be available.

This is a great source for tracking everything possible down. The only exception is the Protect Ring on Disc 4, only because that side quest was discovered only recently.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

I've been replaying FF9 lately and I just need to brag about this.

On the second battle with Beatrix, you can steal a really nice sword from her. But there's only a 1 in 256 chance of stealing the drat thing, and to make matters worse the battle will end after a certain number of turns. It's practically impossible to get this sword from this battle.

This was literally my first action of the battle.

Beatrix is awesome and it was always an "Oh gently caress!" moment whenever she showed up on the battlefield. :allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

maou shoujo posted:

There's no missable equipment, but you can't get the Fairy Flute until the final dungeon if you don't get it at Hilgigars :psyduck:

e: I lie, I think there are a few one-time items like picking the Holy Lance off of Ark and iirc something involving stealing from the boss in Ipsen's Castle, but those don't show up until long after you're able to get the Thief Gloves for Master Thief.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 16, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The White Dragon posted:

There's no missable equipment, but you can't get the Fairy Flute until the final dungeon if you don't get it at Hilgigars :psyduck:

e: I lie, I think there are a few one-time items like picking the Holy Lance off of Ark and iirc something involving stealing from the boss in Ipsen's Castle, but those don't show up until long after you're able to get the Thief Gloves for Master Thief.

Holy Lance can be bought in Bran Bal.

Nothing in the game must be gotten via Steal, unless you want every possibly copy of items in limited quantities.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

The boss in Ipsen's Castle has the Orichalcon to steal iirc and you can buy that in BranBal too

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I've had such a powerful urge to play IX for a while now. That game is so drat charming.

The White Dragon posted:

The FF Wiki says it can be bought from the Mogshops at Oeilvert and the Desert Palace. But then again, I don't even remember how the "Mogshops" work. I don't remember the Fairy Flute just sitting in a regular shop....

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

It can be bought from a moogle in Oeilvert, so that's a fair ways off but not too bad. I think I'm not even going to bother on that one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like how FF9 constantly lets you steal early upgrades from bosses as rare drops. Nothing you can miss, you just get new abilities and gear a bit earlier than you normally would otherwise.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

The White Dragon posted:

Neither point is entirely correct: there's a bunch of missable items, but Holy Lance off Ark isn't one of them, although it's one of the more worthwhile "early" steals you can get since it teaches Freya Dragon's Crest and it's a good while longer until you can actually buy one. The actual missable items with unique skills are Scissor Fangs and Octagon Rod that are bought from Esto Gaza, neither of which you can't get past disc 3. Octagon Rod is especially bad since it's the only weapon that teaches Vivi all his elemental -ga spells and without it, he's essentially dead weight in the endgame, unless you want to rely on Flare, Meteor and Doomsday for damage outside of bossfights.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AnotherGamer posted:

it's the only weapon that teaches Vivi all his elemental -ga spells and without it, he's essentially dead weight in the endgame, unless you want to rely on Flare, Meteor and Doomsday for damage outside of bossfights.

2x Reflect + Bio, motherfucker :getin:

And if you really wanna be on the safe side, give everyone Auto-Reflect and bounce it off your party. It should hit the entire enemy group and it's pretty much a guaranteed 9999 non-elemental damage against anything that isn't Necron or Ozma for like 15MP.

v :hf:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 16, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, there's people that didn't do the Reflect x4 trick to do 9999 regardless of spell?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I remember having an ability I never learned for Steiner because I didn't buy some early-ish weapon and then lost access to the town selling it or some such. Then I seem to recall there being some synthesis recipes that require a couple old items you can't buy anymore, so if you didn't have several extra laying around you were sort of SOL.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh, don't use Archers in FFT, except to unlock new classes. They are terrible.

This is the sad truth. By the time you might be able to put together a viable Archer, any class with a Gun (I like Chemist and Knights) will just highlight the terrible.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They're right. Archers in FFT are just a speedbump on the path to getting Ninjas.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I forgot, were Dragoons any better? They just had a bunch of Jump+x skills, right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

I forgot, were Dragoons any better? They just had a bunch of Jump+x skills, right?

Actually, Jump skills were all just range upgrades to the base command that didn't affect its strength or charge time. Also, Dragoons could get Ignore Height and the Reraise reaction skill, which is a plus.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Actually, Jump skills were all just range upgrades to the base command that didn't affect its strength or charge time. Also, Dragoons could get Ignore Height and the Reraise reaction skill, which is a plus.

Yeah with dragoons/lancers I tended to ignore all but the lvl 8 vertical and horizontal ability if I was power leveling, as all the other command abilities are redundant

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I like how FF9 constantly lets you steal early upgrades from bosses as rare drops. Nothing you can miss, you just get new abilities and gear a bit earlier than you normally would otherwise.

Yeah, I dug it too. It makes stealing feel worthwhile without being overpowered.

I played through it again recently and it really is a great game. It'd probably have my favourite soundtrack of the series too. The slow battles didn't really bother me too much - I guess enough time had passed that I was willing to slug through them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Some things are only available in limited quantities though, like the Pumice Piece from Ozma. Except that doing that particular one robs you of the Pumice that he drops (which can be considered a more valuable prize if you want Dagger to learn all her summons).

Steals and drops are not mutually exclusive in FF9. You may be thinking of an FF8 mechanic where if you successfully steal from an enemy, it doesn't drop anything.

The full list of "at least 1 available from non-missable sources, but for max quantity you also need this" for steals is:

Blood Sword from Tiamat
Genji Helmet from Kraken
Genji Gloves from Lich
Genji Armor from MarilithMaliris
Dark Matter from Ozma
Pumice Piece from Ozma
Running Shoes from Hades

And for drops:

Pumice from Ozma (guaranteed)
Dark Matter from Ozma (not guaranteed)

In other words, you only need to worry about Hades, Ozma, and the four FF1 fiends. All of which you'll have Master Thief by the time you fight. And even then it's for extra copies. Every other steal or drop is either infinitely available in the endgame no matter what, or infinitely available, at least temporarily, from a shop.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Unleashed hack adds an Excalibur II you can gank from Ozma.

I always synthed the pieces to form a full Pumice, but I might have to try something else this time around.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

The Unleashed hack adds an Excalibur II you can gank from Ozma.

I always synthed the pieces to form a full Pumice, but I might have to try something else this time around.

Oh, you can definitely do that too, but getting the drop from Ozma means you get to keep the Pumice Pieces (plus possibly get a third one as a steal from Ozma). This is notably useful for the fact that they allow both shadow and holy absorption.

If you do synth them, make sure you either steal the third, or have taught Boost to Eiko and Dagger beforehand, since only Pumice Pieces teach that ability.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Okay, here's a question for some of y'all: I'm playing FFIV: After Years again, for God only knows what reason. I think I am just bored at work, but I also probably have some self-destructive tendencies mixed in there. My question is, does anybody know if there's a way to get guaranteed drops in the iOS version? I know that there are ways to game the random number generator (RNG) in the Wii version, but I don't know if those tricks work on the iOS version as well. Anybody know? (my apologies if this has been answered already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vil posted:

And for drops:

Pumice from Ozma (guaranteed)
Dark Matter from Ozma (not guaranteed)
Doesn't Ozma not drop Dark Matter unless you don't have one in your inventory (i.e., used it in the battle)?

Madmarker posted:

Yeah with dragoons/lancers I tended to ignore all but the lvl 8 vertical and horizontal ability if I was power leveling, as all the other command abilities are redundant
I thought that only let you jump at range 8 and nothing in between? Lancers blow anyway, iirc you can't get a CT estimate of when they were going to land in the PS1 version.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 16, 2014