Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

crocodile on my feet
fox fur on my back
beehive on my head
thats why they call me the gangsta mack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What is it with Abrahamic religions and power being denoted by bigass hats? Artistic renders of caliphs of always depict them wearing bulbous turbans as well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

By contrast.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I, too, am mystified as to why progressives might be happier with a pope that's like "oh hey economic inequality is the root of most of the world's problems" and "maybe we shouldn't focus so much on gay marriage." Call me when you transform the church into full communism by fiat in one day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aurubin posted:

What is it with Abrahamic religions and power being denoted by bigass hats? Artistic renders of caliphs of always depict them wearing bulbous turbans as well.

It takes power to wear a really big hat.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Aurubin posted:

Counterpoint: yarmulkes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I care about the poor , from my throne of gold.

No, I just find it unnerving how we're constantly having these news stories about how great the pope is when really he hasn't said anything of worth or note. It's not like he's come out and said " Yeah, its cool to be gay" , but more " It's probably cool to be gay".

I mean is it really strange to say " Well, he's not as bad" that doesn't make him progressive, that just means he's middle ground and doesn't want to make a hardline stance that alienates people.

Also, there's no way they didn't get new publicist or someone in publicity workin for them.

I don't know what a "New Atheist" is, I just am an atheist, I don't really care for any religions at this point I'm satisfied in my life to be just left alone, you go believe what you want that's great if it gives your life meaning but leave me alone. I'm not a " I hate religion " at one point I was but not any more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aurubin posted:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Hollismason posted:

No, I just find it unnerving how we're constantly having these news stories about how great the pope is when really he hasn't said anything of worth or note. It's not like he's come out and said " Yeah, its cool to be gay" , but more " It's probably cool to be gay".

I mean is it really strange to say " Well, he's not as bad" that doesn't make him progressive, that just means he's middle ground and doesn't want to make a hardline stance that alienates people.

Also, there's no way they didn't get new publicist or someone in publicity workin for them.

So I mean, I guess you haven't really read anything on this topic? I'm no expert or anything, but their new publicity company isn't a secret.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Countercounterpoint: this guy's dastar:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah religion and big rear end hats go hand in hand.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hollismason posted:

Dude literally refused to use to the throne of gold, bro.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

No, I just find it unnerving how we're constantly having these news stories about how great the pope is when really he hasn't said anything of worth or note.

Again, his spoken policy on many issues (downright marxist historiography as the most prominent) is important even if he directs no action by his authority, because at least the ideas are out in the open. He's indisputably the most prominent person in the world discussing the things that need discussing. After spending several months hitting every drat town I could in rural Mexico, you have no idea how influential JPII still is to a large section of the Catholic population. If this pope sticks around another decade (or more!) it could really mean something.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

kohen gadols have moderate hat game

more importantly, that fukken apron

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

paranoid randroid posted:

I want that apron.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Large hats are the jacked up pickup of the rest of the world.

Except large hats own.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

nutranurse posted:

I want that apron.

God ancient Anatolian and Near East jewelry was so tacky. One good thing the Ottomans did, more elegant bling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That Darth Vader chestpiece.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chantilly Say posted:

Countercounterpoint: Rabbi Ovadia "Bling" Yosef.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
of course its tacky. some guy walks into the room, you want him to be all "drat, get a load of that guys opulence. he must be the business."

to which you reply "yes, i am rather the business my son" all benevolently as you slaughter the fatted tares or separate the wheat and calves or what the hell ever

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Pharisees condemn this talk as religiously unlawful.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Aurubin posted:

Thailand's are actual lightning rods:

EDIT: loving image upload hasn't worked right for me for years.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I was always kind of confused as to how this hat was supposed to elicit supplication. Is the idea that this dude's got the ultimate topknot or something?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The elegant presentation belies its fantastic beaver dam-building capabilities.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

R. Mute posted:

Afrikaans is downright lovely if you're used to ordinary Dutch, though.

"Our Language: Prettier Than Dutch."

Well congratu loving lations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aurubin posted:

I was always kind of confused as to how this hat was supposed to elicit supplication. Is the idea that this dude's got the ultimate topknot or something?

He's got big hat money, must be cool.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
as part of a dumb work project i had to find popular news websites in dutch (aka i googled the dutch word for news) and "nieuws" is an upsetting looking word and i don't care to find out how it is pronounced.

also a cool thing the pope did is also call it monstrous that commodity speculation is causing poor people to starve. commodity speculation driving up the price of goods people need to live is an issue that more people need to be talking about. its good that the pope condemns it.

last the pope's public pronouncements are significantly influenced by the context of him being the head of an organization that at best is conservative and is frequently reactionary. that context is important.

e: also why is the dutch word for strike "staking", what is the etymology of this i don't like it

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Aurubin posted:

Countercounterpoint: this guy's dastar:

The only way this could be any better would be if there were tiny little people dancing around the center of that thing. That is an amazing piece of headgear and my life has been enriched by knowing that it exists. :unsmith:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

There's an effort to create a CongressEdits wiki page on Wikipedia. According to the draft history, the first page was created by an IP address registered to the House of Representatives (143.231.249.138).

CongressEdits is going to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Commodity speculation is terrible and serves no benefit aside from being a gambling outlet for the super rich.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
commodity speculation to a point is good because it injects liquidity into the commodity market and insulates producers and distributors from price shocks. however commodity speculation needs to be harshly regulated and limited because excessive speculation can gently caress with prices. there are legitimate and well-regulated commodity speculators in the US but, in news that may shock you, several wall street firms were explicitly issued letters of exemption from regulation of commodity speculation and consequently can gamble as much money as they like on food and oil prices.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Why am I not surprised that Wall street companies can get exempted from the law in much the same manner that a kid can get out of gym class?

No, wait, that's not fair. The kid would probably have a MUCH harder time with it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

I tried to learn Vietnamese. While the tones are very easy in Vietnamese, I gave up after concluding it is not physically possible for me to make some of the consonants in that language.
A tip, move the tip of your tongue forward from where it'd be in English and magic happens. Also IMO, saigonese Vietnamese is easier for English speakers than the Hanoi variety

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Swan Oat posted:

e: also why is the dutch word for strike "staking", what is the etymology of this i don't like it

Capital is a vampire and striking, like staking, kills it. Duh.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Swan Oat posted:

commodity speculation to a point is good because it injects liquidity into the commodity market and insulates producers and distributors from price shocks. however commodity speculation needs to be harshly regulated and limited because excessive speculation can gently caress with prices. there are legitimate and well-regulated commodity speculators in the US but, in news that may shock you, several wall street firms were explicitly issued letters of exemption from regulation of commodity speculation and consequently can gamble as much money as they like on food and oil prices.

Could you tell me more about this exemption process? I'd like to look into it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity_Futures_Trading_Commission#Crude_oil_derivatives_and_futures:_speculation_or_fundamentals

quote:

Crude oil derivatives and futures: speculation or fundamentals

Since 1991 the CFTC has given secret exemptions from hedging regulations to 19 major banks and market participants, allowing them to accumulate essentially unlimited positions.[21] These exemptions came to light only after the 2008 financial crisis had unfolded and Congress requested information on market participants. A trader or bank granted an exemption as a bona-fide hedger can affect the price of a commodity without being either its producer or consumer.[22]

In December 2007 during the subprime mortgage crisis, the CFTC began investigating transportation, storage and trading of U.S. crude oil for price manipulation, which included a probe of U.S. crude oil futures.[23] [notes 2] By May 2008, when the price of crude oil futures showed a meteoric rise of 40% to a record $US 135 a barrel there were concerns that the record prices may have been the result of "manipulation or fraud."[23] Michael Haigh, head of U.S. commodities research in New York at Societe Generale SA, and former CFTC associate chief economist, said in an interview “It’s unprecedented for the CFTC to say that they are in the midst of an investigation.[..] “They may be under pressure from Congress to look at this market given the high prices.” Some argued that crude oil market fundamentals drive the price, not the speculative market.[24]

On June 25, 2008 Speaker Pelosi sent a letter to President Bush calling on him to direct the CFTC to use its emergency powers to take immediate action to curb excessive speculation in energy markets, to investigate all energy contracts and that despite growing reports of excessive speculation in energy markets, the CFTC refused to take actions they have taken in the past.[25] The Energy Markets Emergency Act of 2008 was a failed bill that would have attempted to curb excessive speculation in the energy futures markets.

In a campaign speech August 2008 presidential candidate Barack Obama argued that loopholes in CFTC regulations contributed to skyrocketing prices and lack of transparency on oil markets.[26]

In April 2010 Reuters reported that of the "40 major figures in the oil industry, including traders and analysts at some of the largest banks, trading houses and oil companies" interviewed, the vast majority (73 percent) thought increased speculation boosted prices beyond what supply and demand fundamentals dictated.[27] Peregrine Financial Group analyst Phil Flynn argued that in terms of supply and demand fundamentals, oil markets were only the messenger.[27] By April the CFTC began to "rein in" speculation in energy and commodity trading, especially oil, and proposed limiting the number of futures contracts financial players can hold at any one time." [27]

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aurubin posted:

Artistic renders of caliphs of always depict them wearing bulbous turbans as well.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
The cowboy hat really is the ostentatious turban of the west.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"Our Language: Prettier Than Dutch."

Well congratu loving lations.
dutch is a beautiful language, though.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Most of these posters just want a forum where they can be under the umbrella of Something Awful but not get in trouble for their terrible opinions. I agree, posting shouldn't be a matter of taste. If the underscum of shitposters and people with horrible opinions is going to ooze out onto something, no matter how hard you press down upon it, why not give it a more natural outlet? A place where people can self-quarantine? I don't see that this actively would hurt the forums as a whole. For instance, there are entire subforums that I don't even ever look at. I don't think they impact my enjoyment or the general posting environment of the subs that I do generally view. Tamping down on discord just creates more discord. You ban people, you create martyrs. Why not give them a place where they can just impotently yell themselves out? What else, but that, was LF?

• Locked thread