Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

There should be a version of :iiam: and :iia: that is "It is terrifying"

It could even see use outside of this thread possibly!

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ñ it isterrifying

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm trying to find a good spot for a new fort. While looking I noticed a particular spot had the neighbors of Dwarves, Goblins, Humans, Elves (War. :ohdear:) and Pit. What the hell is Pit? That's not HFS is it?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

That island in the very middle west there. Those purple circles are cavern entrances, I believe. That is hell island.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think those are lesser goblin sites. That's just Goblin Island.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, all civilizations get that visible map sprawl now that humans had. Haven't you ever dragged the site selection cursor over a rainforest in version 0.34 and noticed the entire area is blanketed in elf sites so thick that you can't fit even a 2x2 dwarf site between them?

In other news, I got so, so, so bored with a bundle of thrips men who flew in and stayed motionless about 19 z-levels above the ground, just near the "sky" ceiling. Blocking wildlife from entering the map. Sitting there. Outside crossbow range.

Time for the nuclear option. [FLIER] tag? DELETED

Good goddamn riddance.

e: aaaah gently caress yeah a herd of camels. crossbows out!

scamtank fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 16, 2014

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

you can't have every body part take the full force of the impact, that's not how it works!!

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Flavahbeast posted:

you can't have every body part take the full force of the impact, that's not how it works!!

Sure you can! Have them try to land on their arms and have the arms snap offering 0 resistance, the body keeps moving forward and then they hit with their head, and that gives 0 resistance!

How you can have 0 resistance is a physics wonder but we're talking about a game that you can drop bridges on objects to make them disappear.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

In addition to the line break [B] tag, there's also [P] that does things.

It seems to do a carriage return without a line break. Pretty great for symbols that bear explaining. See at a glance where all the history is at.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
I haven't followed developement of this game since like...5 years or something.
What happened in the meantime? Did Toady get some help to clean up his code? I read in the OP that Toady actually released the code as open source?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

ANGRYGREEK posted:

I haven't followed developement of this game since like...5 years or something.
What happened in the meantime? Did Toady get some help to clean up his code? I read in the OP that Toady actually released the code as open source?

No, the game will never be open-source, I don't know why people keep asking.
(He released a part of the code to get help with rendering.)

What happened?

Well, the fortress mode has more stuff to twiddle with and is generally even more broken and less of a game. That's the general development cycle - add more features, break fortress mode even more.

Most time has been spent on adventurer mode, where you now can roam around the world and kill things in gruesome detail. That's about it.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

markus_cz posted:

No, the game will never be open-source, I don't know why people keep asking.
(He released a part of the code to get help with rendering.)

I misread the post about the Mod tools in the OP, then, as it propably meant the developer of the Lazy Newb Pack who stopped developement of his mod.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
re: v34.xx stuff:

I bought a bunch of stuff from a trader and it seems like the dwarves won't acknowledge that they are actually there. They won't grab them to equip them, or dump them or drag them to a stockpile. I even switched on hyperspeed to see if they just had a big queue or something, but nope! There are some other items floating around from the occasional kobold thief that won't get moved either. Is there a dfhack command to like...refresh everything in the world or something? The items won't even get dumped by the autodump command! Between that and my smiths sudden desire to not make picks its getting a little bit difficult to mine.

Urist2014
Jun 8, 2014
Have you tried deconstructing the trade depot?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Either danger rooms are MORE dangerous or masterwork training spears are very deadly.

As soon as I turn the lever on repeat, it instantly impales 3 of my 5 dwarves in the throat, killing them.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Didn't you get the memo about the reworked blunt impacts? You're tenderizing the poor bastards.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

In other news, I got so, so, so bored with a bundle of thrips men who flew in and stayed motionless about 19 z-levels above the ground, just near the "sky" ceiling. Blocking wildlife from entering the map. Sitting there. Outside crossbow range.

I've had this problem too. Fliers no longer seem to roam around, instead just chilling in the air for eternity or until something calls them to fall and die. Kind of annoying.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Urist2014 posted:

Have you tried deconstructing the trade depot?

Yeah I did that before trying to autodump the stuff. Its crazy onboxious and I have no idea whats up with the game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

scamtank posted:

Didn't you get the memo about the reworked blunt impacts? You're tenderizing the poor bastards.

What happened?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

You buried yourself under a mountain of hatred? No wonder the goblin doesn't care about this weird Emo guy who wandered into his town.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I got the best mental image of a dwarf ranting and screaming about all the poo poo that he murdered at a goblin in a beekeeper suit just kind of ignoring him. Finally, when the dwarf shut up, the goblin just looks at him and says "I don't care man, would just leave me alone with my bees?"

Poor goblin just wanted to keep bees, man. WHY ARE YOU BOTHERING HIM?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

What happened?

Uh, pulping? If you subject a flexible bodypart (only bruises) to enough blunt force over time, it will eventually crumple into a broken mess. Getting your head or a section of your torso reduced to chunky salsa means instant death.

Mechanically, the bodypart is just suddenly and thoroughly broken by what I think is one of the less-used forces. Compressive or tensile, I think.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 16, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

scamtank posted:

Uh, pulping? If you subject a flexible bodypart (only bruises) to enough blunt force over time, it will eventually crumple into a broken mess. Getting your head or a section of your torso reduced to chunky salsa means instant death.

Mechanically, the bodypart is just suddenly and thoroughly broken by what I think is one of the less-used forces. Compressive or tensile, I think.

It did say his throat exploded into a pulp of gore or something. I think I shouldn't have used 10 masterwork training spears in each trap with my untrained dwarves.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

GreyPowerVan posted:

It did say his throat exploded into a pulp of gore or something. I think I shouldn't have used 10 masterwork training spears in each trap with my untrained dwarves.

Someone needs to equip an adventurer with a nethercap training axe and give a report on how they made their adversaries Chillaxe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

I like to imagine that masterwork training weapons are essentially Miyamoto Musashi levels of lethal.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm in the latest version of DF and I'm being invaded by dwarves.

Wait, no, I think this is a goblin civ that has taken over dwarves and humans, because it's like 2 goblins, 10 humans, and a few dwarves.

EDIT: Nope, I just checked my Civ list and it's my OWN civilization. I accidentally cancelled the outpost liason conversation so they sent an army to take me out. Weirdly it has goblins and humans with it.

EDIT2: Combat in this version is awesome. My entire militia minus one person and the entire enemy force is "overcome with terror" and whatnot, after a single death.

My militia commander is metal as hell and just jumped at someone from a Z-level above and cut their head off after they rolled away from him.

"Death is all around us, this is truly terrifying."

Also my militia commander is now punching things in the head for the last 30 pages of combat logs, apparently unable to kill the human he's hitting. He has an axe in his hand but insists on punching.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 16, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

My latest fortress got owned by an unannounced warband from a nearby human civilization. Complete with an army of armed and armored goblin zombie soldiers. Not a single necromancer amongst them, I don't think.

Legends mode is all :shrug: over the causes of the war, too.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

scamtank posted:

My latest fortress got owned by an unannounced warband from a nearby human civilization. Complete with an army of armed and armored goblin zombie soldiers. Not a single necromancer amongst them, I don't think.

Legends mode is all :shrug: over the causes of the war, too.

Did the civ show up in the C menu?

EDIT: And now after all of the fighting one of my military is constantly spitting on another one of my military. Maybe he's calling him a coward?

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 16, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I didn't check it during the attack, but I don't think so. This was right at the end of the first year, some months after the first dwarven caravan had left. The only contact with foreigners prior to that was the one kobold thief who left empty-handed after getting spooked by the guard dogs.

e: The group who assaulted my fort had built the temple "Convent of Oranges" in a human site a few decades before the attack. It was home to the "Cult of Running", a la-la religion worshipping a human goddess of rainbows. It's mostly known for getting profaned by criminals and spitting out vampires and werewolves in turn.

Most of "The Group of Hops" history concerns booze getting stolen from their cities by drunk ettins and building a lot of bridges between cities. A respectable bunch. Where did all those loving zombies come from?

scamtank fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 16, 2014

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

this needs to happen

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man I wish I knew what all these status effects are. Blinking blue ! you are no help!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ahhh... Yep, it was from my own civilization, guaranteed. I'm currently experiencing a loyalty cascade, where my militia is attacking each other, except for my speardwarf who is cowering in a corner as a dwarven child punches him over and over.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SynthOrange posted:

Man I wish I knew what all these status effects are. Blinking blue ! you are no help!

Melancholy.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Mortal Terror, usually?

Nope, since the last release it also stands for dwarves overcome by terror.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Is there a quick way to locate an underground water source or do i just need to dig all over the map at random?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Aside from aquifers in soil layers? There's a high chance that the first underground cavern has a freshwater lake at the bottom of it. Dig deeper.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Humans Among Us posted:

Is there a quick way to locate an underground water source or do i just need to dig all over the map at random?

As scamtank said look for the caverns but be very careful about drawing water from them since the water might have nasties around it.
My suggestion would be to build a well above it since it will reach all the way down to the lake.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Cranking the winch for long vertical distances takes some time, though. It's fine for casual bathing and hospital use, but keep a close eye on your booze reserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks, i shall dig deeper :tipshat: