Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

CombatBonta-kun posted:

It wouldn't happen to be CKO would it? I've been going for a while because it is a great workout, but beyond that it almost feels like a bit of a cult mentality with some of the people.
It is CKO. I really enjoy most of the classes (there's an instructor I'm not really a fan of) but the people are a bit odd. I just shrug it off for the most part but it is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Toriori posted:

You don't loving talk about dumplings that way!

No one is bad-mouthing dumplings. They're delicious but you certainly wouldn't want to be dating one... would you?

<trap_set>

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Silly Newbie posted:

Doing the most complex movements in weightlifting for time, with reps counting much more than form, is inherently dangerous. Modifying the form of common exercises, like pull ups, so that you can do more of them is also inherently dangerous. Those are the two things upon which crossfit is built.

Rhabdomyolysis is another reason that Crossfit is dangerous. There is very little being done in classes to prevent it, and the trainers all know about it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-robertson/crossfit-rhabdomyolysis_b_3977598.html

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Marvel announced today that Thor stopped being worthy to wield Mjollnir, and the hammer will pass to a woman, who will henceforth be called Thor instead (it's probably Angela from Spawn).

Here's some reactions from the Internet.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
A friend on Facebook just shared this

quote:

I was educated to I pass it on

there's a holocaust going on in palestine, a slow barbaric sick satanic ethnic cleansing, all the zionist plan is openly available in a book called the talmud you know, they never hid their plan to smash and destroy the goym, us... so you see, this is what happens in palestine, I'm not even sorry to force you to see it, if every body would be forced to see maybe more would think when they vote WITH THEIR MONEY which is the only vote that exist in this self kleptocratic disgusting elitist oligarchic hypocritical "society", Israhell was supposedely the land of the free, of those that will show the world how they will never allow another genocide to happen, do you still believe their lies? I surely never did, because I keep informed, may those kids rest in peace...

:psyduck:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As a person that doesn't read comics is this something that they've been building up to at least? Like this isn't just some sudden PR stunt to get people to buy new sexy lady Thor comics?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As a person that doesn't read comics is this something that they've been building up to at least? Like this isn't just some sudden PR stunt to get people to buy new sexy lady Thor comics?

Apparently this is not the first time there was a girl Thor.

And there was also a a Thor frog.

Comics are weird, I'll stick to the movies.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm so confused. Does being able to lift Mjolnir magically cause your name to be changed to Thor? It's not like it's a title or something. Wonder Woman lifted it once. Is her name also Thor now?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

rodbeard posted:

I'm so confused. Does being able to lift Mjolnir magically cause your name to be changed to Thor? It's not like it's a title or something. Wonder Woman lifted it once. Is her name also Thor now?

comic books are silly and do not take them seriously please

PervertedLogic
Aug 14, 2003

Nckdictator posted:

A friend on Facebook just shared this

:psyduck:

Who knows what the gently caress this is going on about, but, more importantly, why can't these people use even remotely proper grammar and punctuation? They seem to know what the words mean (most of the time) and what proper order everything goes in (some of the time), so why can't they put the little bits and bobs in the correct, loving place?

edit: hmmm, it's not pulling the other quote, but it's like four posts up.

PervertedLogic has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Jul 15, 2014

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and guess the original Thor will have his power return (and/or the replacement is revealed to be a secret agent of evil) within a year at most. :v:

It'd be pleasantly surprising if she stuck, but my "Marketing Strategy to Boost Sales" Sense is going off.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

rodbeard posted:

In Marvel, the hammer itself is what gives Thor a lot of his powers, so anyone deemed worthy to wield it is for all intents and purposes Thor. It's more complicated than that but

Afraid of Audio posted:

comic books are silly and do not take them seriously please

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I'm so confused. Does being able to lift Mjolnir magically cause your name to be changed to Thor?

Kinda. In Marvel's bridge between Norse myth and the comics, Thor disobeyed his dad's orders so Odin stripped him of his godhood, kicked him down to Earth, then put a lock on Mjolnir that it couldn't be wielded by dickheads.

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

So yeah, if you can lift Mjolnir, you become the Thunder God. If you lose Mjolnir or somehow become unable to lift it, you lose those powers.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh no my stupid comic about a man with a hammer is now a stupid comic about a woman with a hammer.

What shall I do?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

:catstare:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

And that weird alien guy Beta Ray Bill.

But unlike all those others, I'm sure this is the one that will stick and be the new Thor forever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PervertedLogic posted:

[...] why can't these people use even remotely proper grammar and punctuation? They seem to know what the words mean (most of the time) and what proper order everything goes in (some of the time), so why can't they put the little bits and bobs in the correct, loving place?

Don't worry, you're not alone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

This one popped up a few times by multiple people today. It reminded me of my experience with Burning Paradise Video. It was a local indie type video store that specialized in Grindhouse/Exploitation genre films and hard to find films. The old location they were at was a bit out of my way so when they relocated closer, I specifically budgeted to plunk down a couple hundred bucks on a wild spending spree. Just walking in the door and looking at the shelves, I saw several films I was ready to buy without blinking an eye. Turned out all the shelves were rentals only, and asking the bored guy at the counter where was the stuff for sale, he waved towards a dinky shelf rack on the wall that was mostly the same current stuff I could get at Wal-Mart and none of it was what they had on the rental shelves. Thinking it was maybe a space issue, I asked if what they had for rentals was also available for sale and was told no.

I ended up walking out without spending a thing and feeling rather disappointed. When I'd see postings from the owners ranting about people not patronizing local businesses and being horrible for shopping at chain stores, I couldn't help but think if they reversed what they had for sale with what they had for rentals, I would've been a steady customer of at least a hundred bucks a trip minimum. From what I heard, they've since gone out of business.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

M_Sinistrari posted:

This one popped up a few times by multiple people today. It reminded me of my experience with Burning Paradise Video. It was a local indie type video store that specialized in Grindhouse/Exploitation genre films and hard to find films. The old location they were at was a bit out of my way so when they relocated closer, I specifically budgeted to plunk down a couple hundred bucks on a wild spending spree. Just walking in the door and looking at the shelves, I saw several films I was ready to buy without blinking an eye. Turned out all the shelves were rentals only, and asking the bored guy at the counter where was the stuff for sale, he waved towards a dinky shelf rack on the wall that was mostly the same current stuff I could get at Wal-Mart and none of it was what they had on the rental shelves. Thinking it was maybe a space issue, I asked if what they had for rentals was also available for sale and was told no.

I ended up walking out without spending a thing and feeling rather disappointed. When I'd see postings from the owners ranting about people not patronizing local businesses and being horrible for shopping at chain stores, I couldn't help but think if they reversed what they had for sale with what they had for rentals, I would've been a steady customer of at least a hundred bucks a trip minimum. From what I heard, they've since gone out of business.

As someone who does I/O Economic Analysis every so often, money spent locally at a chain store still has a tremendous impact on the local economy. The typical multiplier is usually around 1.4. Meaning that for every dollar of direct impact (money spent) there is an impact (indirect and induced) of $1.40. And that's not even including jobs created directly, indirectly, and induced. Same goes for tax revenue, blah blah blah...

So yes, support local businesses, but remember that chain stores are local businesses too. They have local employees, they provide local services.

Scarf has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Jul 16, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

M_Sinistrari posted:

"They didn't do what I, personally, want" is not the same as "bad business model." You just told us this businesses specialized in hard-to-find movies, then complained that they didn't keep shelves full of those movies to sell to you. You then make it sound like this failure to stock the for-sale section with the movies you wanted to buy somehow resulted in the business losing customers to "chain stores." That makes no sense, since the entire point of the business, and the reason you went there, is that you can't get the product in question from chain stores.

There's a pretty good chance that if the demand and price were there, they would have been selling the movies instead of renting them. By definition, hard-to-find items are, you know, hard to find. They sell it to you, then maybe they find another one, maybe they don't. In the meantime, they can't rent out what they don't have. They can have your $200 from one sale, or they can rent the movies over and over. It's probably not their failure to sell you movies that drove them out of business.

Scarf posted:

So yes, support local businesses, but remember that chain stores are local businesses too. They have local employees, they provide local services.

I go out of my way to patronize local businesses, especially mom-and-pop enterprises. Doing so is easy in Cleveland, and Miami, and many other places I've lived. Doing so here in Vegas is a significant challenge. Everything is either part of or owned by a monster enterprise.

PervertedLogic
Aug 14, 2003

Hey that was a pretty cool video. I mean, I honestly though Weird Al was dead, literally.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Centripetal Horse posted:

"They didn't do what I, personally, want" is not the same as "bad business model." You just told us this businesses specialized in hard-to-find movies, then complained that they didn't keep shelves full of those movies to sell to you. You then make it sound like this failure to stock the for-sale section with the movies you wanted to buy somehow resulted in the business losing customers to "chain stores." That makes no sense, since the entire point of the business, and the reason you went there, is that you can't get the product in question from chain stores.

There's a pretty good chance that if the demand and price were there, they would have been selling the movies instead of renting them. By definition, hard-to-find items are, you know, hard to find. They sell it to you, then maybe they find another one, maybe they don't. In the meantime, they can't rent out what they don't have. They can have your $200 from one sale, or they can rent the movies over and over. It's probably not their failure to sell you movies that drove them out of business.

They regularly advertised they carry these particular genre movies, and granted I didn't see what they had at their old location which was larger, they still pitched they were the place to buy from. Had they changed their advertising to reflect they were going more in a rental direction or were predominantly rentals, that would've been different and I wouldn't've bothered going in because I was looking to buy. The small sale section they had featured things like the Transformer films and other mainstream stuff. Even if it was just a small section of Grindhouse genre films and the rest rentals, I would've cleared the sales rack out easy and been a regular customer as long as they kept up stock.

I know it's a very niche market, to be honest, when I first heard about them I was surprised that there was a store that specifically specialized in the genre because I didn't think there was enough demand to warrant a dedicated store + costs to it.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

M_Sinistrari posted:

I know it's a very niche market, to be honest, when I first heard about them I was surprised that there was a store that specifically specialized in the genre because I didn't think there was enough demand to warrant a dedicated store + costs to it.

Apparently there wasn't, if they've gone out of business. This is the sort of thing the Internet excels at.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PervertedLogic posted:

Hey that was a pretty cool video. I mean, I honestly though Weird Al was dead, literally.

Yeah, I got linked that one too and I was like "Hey, that could go in the Idiots on Social Media thread!" Just like this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCSA7kKNu2Y

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Cut my friend out of this since he was sharing to make fun of it:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Zero One posted:

Reminds me of this /b/ classic:

Don't trust ANYTHING you see on the internet, kids.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

PervertedLogic posted:

"Son, Al Yankovic blew his brains out in the late '80s after people stopped buying his records. He's not worth getting into trouble over."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Grrl Anachronism posted:

Welcome to the Tea Party! :911:

Didn't the Tea Party unironically post Bioshock Infinite concept art to support their cause?

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't the Tea Party unironically post Bioshock Infinite concept art to support their cause?

That was Fox News: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/03/fox-news-quite-likes-the-bioshock-infinite-logo-apparently

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Also a tea party Facebook group.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/12/16/tea-party-group-unironically-utilizes-bioshock-infinite-propaganda/

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Zero One posted:

Are you sure this isn't one of those whatchamacallits?

A joke?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zero One posted:

It's probably a joke lifehack, but putting your average metal silverware in a microwave for a short period of time won't actually wreck it. More likely it'd do nothing at all, not even heat the drat thing.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I thought the point of the fake lifehack was to hurt the person attempting it when they try to touch the spoon?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Maybe you should put a spoon in your microwave and see how hot it gets. Try one minute, or ten minutes, whatever, see what happens.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

And now I have a cell phone pic of a monitor (and maybe even some other steps in between considering the artifacts)

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Wonder Woman also held Mjolnir during Marvel vs. DC. I don't think she revealed her name, though. Storm (616 or the main continuity) has held it before, too. (Actually, that would have made their battle a lot more interesting.)

Also, Throg is awesome.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Anita Sarkeesian posted this on twitter.

Which one of you nerds wrote this because I refuse to live in a world where that end line isn't ironic.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

PicklePants posted:

Wonder Woman also held Mjolnir during Marvel vs. DC. I don't think she revealed her name, though. Storm (616 or the main continuity) has held it before, too. (Actually, that would have made their battle a lot more interesting.)

Yeah, but Thor Girl, Wonder Woman and Storm were all just examples of women deemed worthy to possess the power of Thor. This is literally the real Thor turning into a woman, which deserves all the nerd rage in the world, because it's never happened in comics before!

Except it has.

(That's from the 1999 miniseries Earth X, written by Jim Krueger, based on notes and concepts by Alex Ross. And in case you're wondering if it's sexist to consider being a woman intrinsically humiliating, yes, it's sexist.)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Yeah, but Thor Girl, Wonder Woman and Storm were all just examples of women deemed worthy to possess the power of Thor. This is literally the real Thor turning into a woman, which deserves all the nerd rage in the world, because it's never happened in comics before!

Except it has.

(That's from the 1999 miniseries Earth X, written by Jim Krueger, based on notes and concepts by Alex Ross. And in case you're wondering if it's sexist to consider being a woman intrinsically humiliating, yes, it's sexist.)

I'd be humiliated too if I had 10 boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

Anita Sarkeesian posted this on twitter.

Which one of you nerds wrote this because I refuse to live in a world where that end line isn't ironic.

I don't think this actually happened

• Locked thread