Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I liked the combat in wushu more, I miss goosestep. I also miss script stealing and throwing people off cliffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Script stealing, more like tear harvesting :q:

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
I still think Wushu had a lot of cool things going for it that this game doesn't have, but Swordsman is actually a functional video game the way it's looking. Whether it turns into a 50 000$ P2W player paradise at higher levels is still hard to tell (heard some scary things about china and lvl6 gems), but right now the cash shop is quite generous, and combat is almost as fun as in Wushu. Its PvE content is more straightforward trash -> boss -> trash -> boss -> loot than Wushu, and PvP has a different complexity to it with the rock-paper-scissors play of counter/grab/acupuncture skills. Not that much flying around. If you enjoyed how much of Wushu's content had an irremovable PvP aspect to it, you might be disappointed to find Swordsman's world events are largely detached from PvP, and guild wars seem to be mostly for bragging rights. This might be fleshed out a bit in the coming months, who knows.

By most accounts it's a better game that feels a lot like Wushu, yes, but it's still quite a bit different. If you liked Wushu, you'll probably like Swordsman. If you wanted to like Wushu but couldn't, this might also work. If you give it a go, reserve judgment for the first 40 levels, that's pretty much a way extended "babby's first MMO" tutorial.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Lorem ipsum posted:

I liked the combat in wushu more, I miss goosestep. I also miss script stealing and throwing people off cliffs.

You are insane if you are saying goose step was a fun experience. Combat in swordsman feels more like combat and not throwing out attacks hoping they connect or just spamming chase attacks.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
So if you do 10 of them you get ~55 cents worth of unbound currency? Doesn't seem like that big a deal. Is there literally nothing else for rewards? No guild upgrade points or anything like that?

At least I can finally get that one quest out of my log. That'll be nice.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
We've already pretty much already seen everything Swordsman has to offer, though. Wushu at least had all badly translated random bullshit going on.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I'd like you all to meet #250 and his good buddy #008, they fight crime.

I don't think #008 is long for this world though.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Unhappy Meal posted:

I'd like you all to meet #250 and his good buddy #008, they fight crime.

I don't think #008 is long for this world though.

The newest remake of The Prisoner is looking to be quite odd...

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Giving this botting thing a try. Anyone have a good skill set for e'mei? What I'm using doesn't seem to efficient. I'm lvl 46 atm.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
I like the combat in this game a lot more than Wushu. It's much harder and I miss goosestep, but once you get used to taking advantage of invulnerability frames, jump dashing on a moment's notice and knowing when to dash immediately following a block (e.g. against Harmony or 5 Venoms), it feels just as mobile and far deeper.

I miss script stealing and assassination missions as well as the school stuff, but I don't miss stagecoach rides, having to serve out jail time without the option of logging out, the stupid as gently caress dungeons, and the highly important events being held only at a specific time of the day.

@Ihki: I was reading about gems in the Chinese websites. It's not really P2W so much as 'one dude is going to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to get something a few weeks faster than everyone else'; They don't sell anything better than what we currently have in the cash shop. Higher level gems are more readily available and if you sell your unused gems and buy the ones you need (or just trade them), level 5/6 gems aren't that difficult to get.

HotBobaloo posted:

Giving this botting thing a try. Anyone have a good skill set for e'mei? What I'm using doesn't seem to efficient. I'm lvl 46 atm.

I just use a bunch of ranged attacks, the big heal set at 50%, plus Heart Hunt and Force Lift. The latter is just personal preference as I tried a few other skills and found them to be ineffective, so I just added something to occasionally reduce the damage I take.

Melee skills work fine too, but I like ranged attacks to reduce how much time my bot spends running back after going out of range. Don't use Stone Crush, Solar Focus, Chi Pulse and Solar Eruption. They're great for killing packs but the bot doesn't know how to use them. Heat Burst isn't bad if you want some PBAoE, though.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 15, 2014

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Liberatore posted:

@Ihki: I was reading about gems in the Chinese websites. It's not really P2W so much as 'one dude is going to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to get something a few weeks faster than everyone else'; They don't sell anything better than what we currently have in the cash shop. Higher level gems are more readily available and if you sell your unused gems and buy the ones you need (or just trade them), level 5/6 gems aren't that difficult to get.

(I was talking to our guild's Tangchao for my source of concern)

Hasn't the game been out for something like a year in China? I guess that's reassuring if they're still not selling anything above T3 gems. I suspect T2 gem pouches will start dropping at the level 60 range of Mirage (this might mean T3s are 90+), as we're now starting to see them on the RMT stalls of the Luo Yang market. This should go a long way in bridging the gap between the common folk and the (somewhat) sane T3 gemmed cash shoppers.

e: another educated guess for gem tier levels is from looking at embed/socketing gem level ranges: tier 1s upgrade level 1-59 gear, tier 2s go up to level 109. Could mean T3 gems drop from level 110 onwards.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 16, 2014

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

According to PW, we're only one major patch behind the Chinese/Taiwanese version, so unless the latest big patch added more gems to the cash shop and I'm reading outdated information, I don't think it's a source of concern. And as you said, the game has been out for a while and the cash shop hasn't changed much since then; They just kept adding more cosmetics/social stuff from what I could tell.

Also:

(They do charity work for strays)

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 16, 2014

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Liberatore posted:

According to PW, we're only one major patch behind the Chinese/Taiwanese version, so unless the latest big patch added more gems to the cash shop and I'm reading outdated information, I don't think it's a source of concern. And as you said, the game has been out for a while and the cash shop hasn't changed much since then; They just kept adding more cosmetics/social stuff from what I could tell.

Also:

(They do charity work for strays)

Thank you for this.

angellinck
Jul 9, 2014
How can I get Mastery reset scrolls besides paying 3 dollars for it?

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

angellinck posted:

How can I get Mastery reset scrolls besides paying 3 dollars for it?

The leveling pack has one at 60.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

So, reading Chinese forums/guides, I was able to determine how elemental (Fire, Ice, Poison, Earth) damage works.

It's a simple coefficient, unique to each skill, and non-matching elemental damage is not wasted. As a Harmony, all my skills count as poison. Each point of Ice/Fire/Earth damage adds 1 * [coefficient] damage to all of my attacks, independent of skill or character level. Each point of Poison damage adds 1.5 * [coefficient] damage to all my attacks.

Or in other words, your primary elemental type is 50% more effective than the others, but you still get a damage bonus regardless.

Resistance acts as a multiplier to that bonus damage. So 20% resistance will reduce the bonus damage from that element by 20%, but if I have 7% penetration, that reduction drops to 13%.

I couldn't find out what proficiency does. I also couldn't figure out the purpose of secondary elements. My guess for the latter is that some skills count as your secondary and benefit from that damage type more than your primary; so with Sun and Moon some skills gain 50% more damage from Poison than from Fire, but the majority gain 50% more damage from Fire than from Poison.

A different post mentioned how Critical and Evasion work against each other:

The minimum critical chance is 25% and maximum is 75%. You can't go below or above these values no matter how much Critical or Evasion you or your target have. To reach 75% crit chance, your Critical must be equal or higher than the target's Evasion. To reach 25% crit chance, Evasion must be 2.5 times higher than the attacker's Critical.

From looking at screenshots, higher level people try to get just enough Reflex that PvP crit chance against them is 25% or slightly above, with the exception being Harmonies who aren't worth stacking Evasion against due to their much higher Critical. Otherwise Strength/Willpower, Constitution and Tenacity are all prioritized over Reflex.

Another post recommended that for Harmony damage, the stats (gear-wise) prioritized should be STR over Poison Damage over Exo Attack. And this makes Harmony (and I'm guessing 5 Venoms?) much cheaper to gear up than other schools because you can just put poison damage gems on all of your gear and be almost as effective as someone stacking the much more expensive STR gems, while Ice/Fire damage schools don't have the luxury of cheap elemental damage gems.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 16, 2014

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Oh you bastard.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
My chart is more accurate:

Do you want to be awesome? ----No---> Who cares pick whatever
|
|
|
Yes
|
|
|
V

5 Venoms 4 Ever

Also less jokingly it is actually pretty difficult to drop the 5v fields on the ground properly in guild fights while flying 50' up in the air. Which is what you should probably be doing as a 5v unless you're Clare level. Be the suicidal dive bomber you always wanted to be. Drop fields from up high where no one can hit you back, fall down, then use the knockdown field to keep half a dozen people down for about 10 seconds.

Another fun trick is abusing respawn immunity to just constantly sprint into the middle of their formation with no health and drop disable/freeze/knockdown field. Who needs to use the medic or heal up at all when you're going to die and come back in 10 seconds just in time for the field cooldown to be up anyway. Just keep locking everyone down and let the chumpy other classes who can't do something this awesome and persistent kill people. Although I seem to end up even or better k/d doing this anyway plus disabling/freezing/chain proning a ton of enemies repeatedly.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 16, 2014

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

quote:

So my guild is like Top 25, and I suddenly saw this notification "Guild Base Application: Not enough Activeness, our Guild Base will close in 72 hours."
The guild has 80+ people, but Activeness 17 since we use VoIP programs...

http://www.arcgames.com/en/social/forums/#/discussion/2918/guild-activeness

There is something I didn't know. Its cool that there is a auto close guild function but with the state some of our guild wars have gone it is strange that some of the ghost towns haven't dropped off the list.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Drinkfist posted:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/social/forums/#/discussion/2918/guild-activeness

There is something I didn't know. Its cool that there is a auto close guild function but with the state some of our guild wars have gone it is strange that some of the ghost towns haven't dropped off the list.

Look this is a good thing. Whenever we need a pick me up we just beat down on an empty guild to write 8=======D on their wall

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I didn't really have time for this game in the last two weeks so apparently now my CBT reward code has expired. Did I miss out on anything of value?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1gwGarmgZY

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Randler posted:

I didn't really have time for this game in the last two weeks so apparently now my CBT reward code has expired. Did I miss out on anything of value?

No. Just complain in a customer support ticket and you'll get it back.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Applied as ShaqfuShifu. I already removed my former character.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Applied as ShaqfuShifu. I already removed my former character.

button pushed

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

BERGfu posted:

button pushed

Be careful about pushing buttons BERG. I hear they can incite wars.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
But see, the game designers wouldn't have made the button pushable if you weren't supposed to push it. Thats just basic game design. Obviously the devs intended us to be in permawar with Zhou as a gameplay feature.

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

The perfect counter argument, coming right up.

Glad I just got my Infinity to 40 finally. Time to get to know myself a little...better.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Drinkfist posted:

Be careful about pushing buttons BERG. I hear they can incite wars.

Apparently that's actually too difficult for those that oppose us. Also I'm creating something for you.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

BobTheVillain posted:

Glad I just got my Infinity to 40 finally. Time to get to know myself a little...better.

Yeah its a joke that I've been told needs to be corrected several times

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I got 10 Gold on HiC.

Time to go track down his opponent and tighten him up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You can now bet on the Jianghu Games (mount hoodyhah) at the statue in Harmony's Piedmont. Top 8 players are static spots in that, and then everyone else is randomly seeded.

The lower someones rank, the more they are worth if they win. Top 8 have the lowest pay outs.

It costs 10 notes to bet.
You get stuff if you win or lose.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Third World Reggin posted:

You can now bet on the Jianghu Games (mount hoodyhah) at the statue in Harmony's Piedmont. Top 8 players are static spots in that, and then everyone else is randomly seeded.

The lower someones rank, the more they are worth if they win. Top 8 have the lowest pay outs.

It costs 10 notes to bet.
You get stuff if you win or lose.

Apparently unlike Wushu Hua this is an equalized tournament as well...meaning you can't pay2win. So there's that.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Haroshia posted:

Apparently unlike Wushu Hua this is an equalized tournament as well...meaning you can't pay2win. So there's that.

It's the same rules as tactics/practice so people who are level 60/80 will have the advantage of one/two extra slots over those who aren't. But yeah, beyond that, everyone is on equal footing and the best player wins. So don't expect people like Clare, who are only in the tournament because they poopsocked to be at the top in levels, to actually put up a decent fight.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

E'mei have to aim big time.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

That's three now.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

New canon description for infinity please add to OP.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Hey guys I'm applying as Booksandbeer to the guild.

• Locked thread