Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Sash! posted:

Hey you, guy that spreads pine bark at Lebron's house, what INSIDER KNOWLEDGE do you have????!?!

this is so loving stupid, everyone knows he was closer to the plumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Step 1: Run column making GBS threads on media for taking LeBron's letter at face value.

Step 2: Run piss-take making GBS threads on media for not taking LeBron's letter at face value.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Drew Magary is essentially an op-ed guy for Deadspin, there's nothing inconsistent at all about him having a different take on the Lebron situation than another Deadspin staffer and the site running them both side by side. That's completely aside from the quality of the opinions expressed, of course.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Magary's take was really stupid though so you can still make fun of that part.

e: gently caress you and your ninja edit, Crion

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Drew Magary really is the Frustrated White Dad Sports Columnist for the modern era, which is something we really need in sportswriting at all times I guess.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Magary's lovely take was enhanced by him linking his take on The Decision, which was even worse.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Yah, I was glad he proudly exclaimed calling Lebron a cocksucker, like it was the funniest joke in the world

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Magary's lovely take was enhanced by him linking his take on The Decision, which was even worse.

If you actually want to highlight Deadspin being inconsistent about something, just read both of those. His Decision take was hilariously over the top and then he had the gall to call other people out for treating LeBron like the anti-christ at the time. Although I guess at least he sort of admits it?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crion posted:

Drew Magary is essentially an op-ed guy for Deadspin, there's nothing inconsistent at all about him having a different take on the Lebron situation than another Deadspin staffer and the site running them both side by side. That's completely aside from the quality of the opinions expressed, of course.

Yeah, I know. I just thought it was funny to see them Hot Taking both sides, especially given how douchey today's article comes across.

Margary's was loud and hypocritical and stupid, but at least it was an actual column that tried to build to a point. Burneko's basically argues against even discussing it, then makes a low-effort joke to fill 1000 words. In the process he's criticizing their own coverage, and not in a way that seems to actually understand that or say anything about it.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 14, 2014

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Crion posted:

Drew Magary really is the Frustrated White Dad Sports Columnist for the modern era, which is something we really need in sportswriting at all times I guess.

I'm looking forward to our kids' generation shaming his awful writing and forcing him into early retirement :911:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Magary's take was really stupid though so you can still make fun of that part.

e: gently caress you and your ninja edit, Crion
I'm amazed Magary hasn't had the living poo poo beaten out of him. Someone who writes like that can't possibly be a nice, normal person all the time in real life.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm amazed Magary hasn't had the living poo poo beaten out of him. Someone who writes like that can't be a nice, normal person in real life.

Magary seems like a dick but he's no AJ Daulerio

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Magary is a really annoying writer but the editorial direction under him is way less scummy than it was under Daulerio so I guess good job.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Politicalrancor posted:

Magary seems like a dick but he's no AJ Daulerio
Wasn't Daulerio in a relationship with a woman who's addicted to about 38 different drugs? It wouldn't surprise me if he was.

Also, I sometimes think, and have a suspicion, that Drew Magary and Hamilton Nolan are the same person.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Wasn't Daulerio in a relationship with a woman who's addicted to about 38 different drugs? It wouldn't surprise me if he was.

Also, I sometimes think, and have a suspicion, that Drew Magary and Hamilton Nolan are the same person.

Yep, Cat Marnell was her name.

Also I don't think Drew Magary can write about boxing like HamNo (seriously, his fight columns are quite good).

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Drew Magary literally made a career from calling Grossman "Sexy Rexy". I simultaneously have tremendous respect and am enormously appalled at that.

There are basically no good things about AJ Daulerio.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I confess to enjoying about 75% of the average Magary mailbag, maybe because the format prevents him from writing more than 1-2 paragraphs on a topic. I cannot believe his "Why Your Team Sucks" series is still a thing, though.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I love Dadspin because I am a 36 year old white father of two. :)

I also bought the Postmortal which was really good for two acts and then suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Here's an actual pro-read piece of journalism: "The Many Crimes of Mel Hall"

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/7/15/5...One--The-Player

Trigger warnings ahoy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zakharov posted:

Trigger warnings ahoy.
SBNation's long reads are frequently very good.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

zakharov posted:

I confess to enjoying about 75% of the average Magary mailbag, maybe because the format prevents him from writing more than 1-2 paragraphs on a topic. I cannot believe his "Why Your Team Sucks" series is still a thing, though.

Why Your Team Sucks is entirely redeemed by the one Lions fan completely losing his poo poo in it from last year.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

zakharov posted:

I cannot believe his "Why Your Team Sucks" series is still a thing, though.

"Why the Steelers Suck" owns because whiny morons here take it seriously and flip out

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

TL posted:

Why Your Team Sucks is entirely redeemed by the one Lions fan completely losing his poo poo in it from last year.
Zodiac Motherfucker is always like this. Makes me proud to be an ex-Detroiter* :patriot:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What kills me about that Mel Hall article is the amount of families who took him in, then allowed him to sleep in the same room as their child.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like Neyer's getting his own long-form-type site - http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/get-ready-for-just-a-bit-outside-foxsports-com-s-new-baseball-destination-071514

God, that Fox Sports site is loving unreadable.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm happy a media conglomerate is finally making a longform sports and pop culture website.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

AceFace905 posted:

Zodiac Motherfucker is always like this. Makes me proud to be an ex-Detroiter* :patriot:

Here's the full text. It's a goddamn masterpiece:

quote:

THE ONLY loving TIME MY OLD MAN EVER EXPRESSES ANY HOPE OR OPTIMISM IS WHEN FOOTBALL SEASON APPROACHES. “HEY THEYRE LOOKING PRETTY GOOD THIS YEAR. WHO KNOWS?” WHO KNOWS? I loving KNOW AND IVE ONLY BEEN WATCHING THIS loving TEAM HALF AS LONG AS HE HAS. SIX WEEKS INTO THE SEASON THOUGH HE FINALLY GETS IT. THE LIONS DO SOME DUMB poo poo AND HES BACK TO HIS POSTGAME RITUAL OF TRASHING THE PLACE IN A MOTHERFUCKING RAGE AND GOING TO BED AT 5PM

POPS ONCE TOLD ME WITH AN INFUCKINGEXPRESSABLY SAD SERIOUSNESS “I WONT REST IN PEACE UNTIL THE LIONS WIN A SUPER BOWL. I MAY BE DEAD WHEN IT HAPPENS BUT WHEN THEY WIN ONE I’LL KNOW.” SERIOUSLY HE TOLD ME THAT poo poo ONCE. AND THATS WHY I WILL DESPISE MATT MILLEN UNTIL MY DYING BREATH. MATT MILLEN STOLE EIGHT YEARS FROM MY FATHER. EIGHT LONG YEARS. AND IF I EVER SEE THAT EMIL MUZZ LOOKING MOTHERFUCKER I’M GONNA COLLECT THAT DEBT TO THE loving SECOND

loving LIONS. A TEAM SO loving lovely THAT IT MADE AN ARMY FIRST LIEUTENANT SAY gently caress IT I QUIT. WE LEVERAGE LEAGUE LEADERS INTO LOSING SEASONS AND ALLTIME GREATS INTO TOTAL MEDIOCRITY. WE REFLECT OUR CITY’S DYSFUNCTION MISMANAGEMENT MISERY AND PIGHEADED STUPIDITY LIKE A loving MIRROR AND WE ALWAYS KID OURSELVES THAT IT’S SOMEHOW GETTING BETTER. SQUEAKY FROMME WASNT AS DELUDED AS WE ARE

THIS IS A TEAM WITH A CULTURE SO hosed UP THAT ONE OF THE BEST OFFENSIVE LINEMEN IN OUR TEAM HISTORY PROUDLY DECLARED THAT HE REPEATEDLY LET HIS QB GET DEMOLISHED BECAUSE HE DIDNT LIKE THE GUY. AND THIS WAS BACK WHEN WE ACTUALLY MADE THE loving PLAYOFFS ON A REGULAR BASIS IF YOUR IMAGINATION CAN CONJURE SUCH A CIRCUMSTANCE. THAT’S OUR LIONS: EVEN WHEN THEYRE FLAILING ON THE CUSP OF GREATNESS THEY STILL FIND TIME TO BACKBITE AND FUMBLEFUCK AROUND. WHATEVER IT TAKES TO gently caress UP AND LET EVERYBODY DOWN.

DRAFT PICKS BURNED LIKE AUTUMN LEAVES. CHARLES ROGERS CAPS HIS 12-GAME PROFESSIONAL CAREER BY THREATENING TO MURDER HIS MOTHER AND PASSING OUT IN HIS BOOTH AT ON THE BORDER IN NOVI LIKE A loving WINO. MIKE WILLIAMS SPENDS TWO YEARS FATTING AROUND IN DETROIT BEFORE GETTING FOLDED INTO A DOGSHIT TRADE WITH OAKLAND THAT ILLUSTRATED THE CONCEPT OF SUNK COST BETTER THAN ANY ECONOMICS TEXTBOOK EVER loving COULD.

AND ALL THE WHILE WERE DICKING AROUND WITH THESE LOSERS ANDRE JOHNSON AND DEMARCUS WARE ARE DOWN IN TEXAS RACKING UP ALLPRO HONORS LIKE REGGIE ROGERS RACKS UP VEHICULAR HOMICIDES AND BEN ROETHLISBERGER IS THE ALL-SEEING ALL-RAPING RINGBEARING FOOTBALL GOD OF YINZERLAND. THE MIND REELS

EVEN THE GOOD PICKS ARE WASTED IN THAT SPECIAL DETROIT WAY. MATTHEW STAFFORD? SURE THE loving GUY LOOKS LIKE HE SHOULD BE OUT LOOKING FOR ONE EYED WILLIE’S TREASURE BUT THE FACT IS HE’S THE FIRST LIONS QUARTERBACK IN DECADES THATS WORTH A BENT DICK AND YET SOMEHOW AFTER FOUR YEARS IN THE LEAGUE AND A COUPLE SEASONS OF MONSTER STATS AND A PLAYOFF APPEARANCE HIS CAREER HIGHLIGHT REMAINS THAT TIME IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR WHEN HE PEELED HIMSELF OFF THE FIELD TO GET THE WIN IN A SHOOTOUT WITH BRADY loving QUINN OF ALL loving CLIPBOARD STANDS. IT WAS A FEAT OF HEROISM SO BOLD AND SO MEANINGLESS IT WAS LIKE RUNNING INTO A BURNING BUILDING TO SAVE A GOLDFISH. WE WENT 2-14 THAT YEAR AND WE STILL TALK ABOUT THAT GAME LIKE IT WAS OUR PERSONAL loving SEA OF HANDS.

COACHES COME TO DETROIT TO loving DIE AND OFTEN RIGHTLY SO. THAT loving IMBECILE MARTY MORNHINWEG FOR INSTANCE. loving GUY WINNING THE COIN TOSS THEN STUPEFUCKINGFYINGLY GIVING THE MOTHERFUCKING BALL TO THE MOTHERFUCKING loving BEARS WHO OF COURSE PROMPTLY SCORE. HE SHOULDVE BEEN COURT-MARTIALED AND EXECUTED RIGHT THEN AND loving THERE. EITHER THEN OR THAT TIME HE MADE SOME BIG PRODUCTION OF ROARING OUT OF PRACTICE ON HIS HARLEY LIKE HE WAS CLAY loving MORROW AND NOT SOME OVERPROMOTED DIPSHIT WITH NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER MANNING THE CAPTAINS WHEEL. I CAN SCARCELY DREAM UP A MORE FITTING HELL FOR AN rear end in a top hat LIKE THAT THAN BEING TASKED WITH UNTANGLING THE LOW RENT QUARTERBACK CLUSTERFUCK IN THE JETS CAMP

THEN IT WAS STEVE MARIUCCI. THE MITT ROMNEY OF NFL COACHES. THAT BLAND WEATHERMAN VENEER OF COMPETENCE WITH THE UNMISTAKABLE AIR OF A MAN WHO WOULD RATHER BE ANYFUCKINGPLACE ELSE. DUDE ONLY CAME TO DETROIT AS A FAVOR TO HIS FAT STUPID FRIEND WHO WAS TOO loving DUMB TO TAKE CARE OF THINGS HIMSELF. KINDA LIKE NED STARK. TURNED OUT ABOUT THE SAME WAY FOR HIM TOO

AFTER THAT WAS MARINELLI BRINGING THE KIND OF DARK ARITHMETIC THAT TRANSFORMS 6-2 TO 7-9 TO 0-16. NOW ITS COACH SCHWARTZ SWIRLING DOWN THE DRAIN. HE TAKES HIS FASHION CUES FROM THE DOG WHISPERER AND ALL HE THINKS ABOUT ON GAMEDAY IS WHETHER HE SHOULD LISTEN TO BILLY SQUIER OR THE loving SCORPIONS. BUT AT LEAST HIS HEART’S IN IT. AND THAT PASSIONS GONNA SERVE HIM WELL IN A YEAR AFTER HES SCORED THAT PLUM ASSISTANT DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR GIG WITH THE JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

THESE ARE THE DETROIT loving LIONS WERE TALKING ABOUT. EVEN IF IT’S THE BEST CASE SCENARIO EVEN IF MY EVERY LAST loving ROCKHARD REGULAR SEASON FANTASY COMES TRUE IN THE END SOMEHOW THEY WILL UNDO IT ALL.

BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TO THE DETROIT LIONS THERE IS NO FAIRY TALE. ITS ALL JUST A BIG JERKOFF. A SADISTIC loving TORTURE GAME PUT ON FOR THE AMUSEMENT OF MILLIONAIRES WITH MISTER RICTUS HIMSELF WILLIAM CLAY loving FORD SENIOR PULLING THE STRINGS. HA HA MADE YA CARE!

UGH. loving LIONS.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Deathlove posted:

Looks like Neyer's getting his own long-form-type site - http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/get-ready-for-just-a-bit-outside-foxsports-com-s-new-baseball-destination-071514

God, that Fox Sports site is loving unreadable.

I don't know if there's a guy with less political capital in this field that could start that site. Jonah Keri starting an all-Expos version of Grantland would probably be more popular.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Rob Neyer is 70 years old??????!??!

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
Nothing has ever summed up the agony of being a Lions fan so accurately, tone included.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Here's the full text. It's a goddamn masterpiece:

I wasn't even aware until now that ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER's sphere of influence casts that wide a net (I mostly know him from his Giant Bomb stuff). His 12.8K twitter followers aren't nearly enough.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

zakharov posted:

Trigger warnings ahoy.

Case #214 from the gently caress the Yankees files

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

zakharov posted:

Trigger warnings ahoy.

Coudn't make it past the second jump.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
That Mel Hall piece is great. gently caress every last one of those parents. And gently caress Mel Hall.

If you need a cleanser, have Erik Malinowski's piece on Tom Emanski. A little light on detail, but really fun.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 19, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Dan Shaugnessy

quote:

The Sox have a chance to finish in last place for the second time in three years, win a playoff game in only one of six seasons, and still be perceived by their fans as “perennial contenders.’’

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Reminder: the best way to fight back against Shaugnessy is to not click on that link. We know what he is doing. He knows what he is doing. The Globe knows what he is doing. Don't support him by giving his columns web traffic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So who is going to take the fall in the Boston media this time now that Beckett isn't there

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

hcreight posted:

Reminder: the best way to fight back against Shaugnessy is to not click on that link. We know what he is doing. He knows what he is doing. The Globe knows what he is doing. Don't support him by giving his columns web traffic.

noted dickfuck Dan Shaughnessy posted:

US soccer star Tim Howard did not play goalie for his New Jersey High school team in his final season. Already established as the best goalie in the nation for the under-17 national team, Howard wanted to be a midfielder in his final high school season and the coach was OK with it. When the state final went to penalty kicks, Howard insisted that the regular goalie stay in net. Howard’s team lost, but it was a lesson learned in backing your teammates. Hope he can cash in on his World Cup performance.

What? Howard is one of the most successful Americans in the best league in the world. I sure do hope 35 year old player with a 10 year career making millions of dollars in the EPL can cash in on his recent world cup performance!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Deadspin or somebody pointed out how he wrote literally the same "jokes" every four years during the World Cup for his "lol soccer amirite" column. Like, entire word for word paragraphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

So who is going to take the fall in the Boston media this time now that Beckett isn't there

Pedroia or Papi

Maybe Lackey, but he's already flipping the bird as he gets out of town.