Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

Somewhat on topic: I bought an EVO protaper bar and risers today. Do bikes typically have enough extra slack in the cable to support 1" of raise? I'm scared to change anything because I can't torque stuff back down to spec precisely

I cba to go look at mine but I think the only thing you -might- have trouble with is your throttle cables. I remember those being a bit tight when I put my carb back in, but that could easily just be routing. My brake line is huge.

Just go look at it god drat :v:

e: Today I put an unnecessary amount of wear on a DRZ by running it at about 90-95% on the interstate for a couple hours. I was trying to haul rear end back home and not get rained on. At least it worked~

VVVVVVV http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro-clicker-torque-wrench-3-8inch-drive/p-00931424000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Razzled posted:

Somewhat on topic: I bought an EVO protaper bar and risers today. Do bikes typically have enough extra slack in the cable to support 1" of raise? I'm scared to change anything because I can't torque stuff back down to spec precisely

The DRZ has plenty of brake line, but depending on the height of the risers you may run into problems with the throttle cables at full lock.
Try the risers with the stock fatbars first (don't disconnect the switchgear or cables) thats only 4 bolts.
If it looks like everything reaches then go and buy a small torque wrench before you buy any more farkles for your bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

You really should idle with us in bieks, we (mostly Rev) post the cringeworthy titles that redditors give their bike pics.

/R/bikesgonewild is full of em.
Literally every creep on reddit (everyone on reddit is a creep) refers to his bike as "his girl." Almost every post with pics of his bike is some goony creepy poo poo like "MY GIRL GOT A BIT WET TODAY" <bike in rain> "MY GIRL GOING COMMANDO" <bike with fairing removed> "I NEEDED TO LUBE HER UP BEFORE A HARD RIDE" <chain wax on ground next to bike>. gently caress all those people.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Bought one of these..
http://www.danosperformance.com/suzuki_smart_TRE.htm

It fools the ECU into thinking every gear is 4th on the Strom 1K, the only un-retarded gear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting that even their sportbikes are restricted in the lower gears. First I can understand, and maybe second, but all the way up to third or fourth is just senseless and strange.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Marxalot posted:

e: Today I put an unnecessary amount of wear on a DRZ by running it at about 90-95% on the interstate for a couple hours. I was trying to haul rear end back home and not get rained on. At least it worked~

You know this already but check your oil level

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Nah don't. We need a control group on the engine swap experiment so we can accurately gauge chive's progress.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Interesting that even their sportbikes are restricted in the lower gears. First I can understand, and maybe second, but all the way up to third or fourth is just senseless and strange.

Maybe it's to cover their rear end in court when some idiot loops it and on the Strom the 5th and 6th gear keeps the top end down, since they have some handling issues above 120mph, I've had this to 130+ indicated and it didn't feel nearly as stable as the zx-6r at higher speeds.
I bought it as maybe a low cost solution to low gear/speed surging. I just want a smoother ride around town without spending $$$ on a power commander and getting 30mpg.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Snowdens Secret posted:

I checked it/topped it off about 5min after I got home, and it didn't really burn much. The oil wasn't that old (it probably is now!) and I did top it up before I hauled rear end to central-ish Texas.

That said I did just now order a new oil cap/dipstick (the threads on mine are hosed) and some new bolts for my fairings and exhaust. I'm missing a bolt on the exhaust tip, and the head fell off of one of the bolts on my heat shield.

e: Always loctite everything, but sometimes a thumper will break a loving bolt off just to remind you what it's capable of.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 6, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's hard give a bike a girl's name when it already has a manly name from the factory. Thanks Erik.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Tried for the 3rd time to balance the front wheel. Still got sideways wobble when letting go of the bars around 60-70km. Tried the "split weights in 4 areas bit" but that wasn't enough. As in if you need to place 40 grams you split in 4 parts, 10 grams on each side of the wheel and move each double area about 3 inches to each side of the point that needs the weight.

Since I only got a static balancer I can't test for the wobble on the balancer itself. But now that I have split it like that I can move 2/3 of the weight to one side at a time until I get it more stable.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 8, 2014

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Finished putting tw200 engine back together (cam chain tensioner, adjusted valves, valve covers, header, gas tank, seat) then put oil in it and started it up. Had done a valve job, as well as honed cylinder and new rings.

Well the first problem was forgetting to tighten the bolt in the head that is used to make sure oil is making it to the top end, so it was leaking oil. It still leaked oil after that, because I had done a clutch job while waiting for valves and had not tightened the clutch cover bolts.

Regardless of all that it was running ok-ish but not great, as I had a messed up timing curve programmed into the CDI. Adjusted curve but did not have any more oil so tonight I will take it for another ride and hopefully all is well so my wife can start riding it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Sold the 954rr today :( Hope new owner enjoys it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Finally got around to replacing the missing and broken bolts on my exhaust (it's a DRZ) today. All new bolts on the exhaust tip since one was missing and they were getting a little stripped, and new bolts for the heat shield.

The problem was that one of the bolts on the heat shield was utterly stripped, and the other bolt just happened to be missing a head. Cut a slot in the stripped bolt and it came right out with a screwdriver. No problem, pretty standard stuff.
But that loving broken one? After letting it soak in PB blaster for a while I cut a 1-2mm groove down into the little fitting that's welded to the exhaust, and then I proceeded to ruin a perfectly nice screwdriver and one of my better flathead drill bits.

At least it's out and my heat shield isn't just flapping in the breeze anymore :v:

e: I should probably buy some silicone and dab it into the holes that I made in the fitting to keep water out.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 13, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put the retard eliminator on the Strom and it seems to make 6th run smoother at 60ish and gets rid of the O/D blinking when it wants me to shift. Then put on a Windstrom windscreen, it doesn't cut down the buffeting as much as I hoped it would, don't know if I should get the deflector that goes at the top or try to get the Madstad adapter plate and brackets and rig the Windstrom to that.

Oh, and got a 19mm allen socket so I could finally loosen the front axle and fork brace to true them up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Retarded Pimp posted:

the retard eliminator

No, you have a V-Strom, not a GSX-R.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I never have a 17/18/19mm allen wrench, and instead just use bolts with those size heads.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I made myself a "butt pad" out of an old sheepskin I had and some elastic and thread and stuff. I think it came out pretty well! Cheaper than the ~$80 to buy one. I figure if I hate it, I'll try the bead rider option.

Yes, I know it's a sport bike. No, I don't care if this makes me look like an old person.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

I made myself a "butt pad" out of an old sheepskin I had and some elastic and thread and stuff. I think it came out pretty well! Cheaper than the ~$80 to buy one. I figure if I hate it, I'll try the bead rider option.

Yes, I know it's a sport bike. No, I don't care if this makes me look like an old person.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a sheepskin seated Kawi around town now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Got the critical stuff back together and plugged in on the bike and did my initial start after doing the valve clearances and top end gaskets.

Barked to life and ran like a champ :woop:

Assuming no oil leaks after it sits for a while I'll finish buttoning it up. Hopefully tonight if all goes well!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 15, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm back to working on my 2000 R1... carbs make me want to punch babies. :psyduck:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That looks so horrible. But really comfortable.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Trip report - 92F today on my way home, really pretty nice on the seat. The stock seat is just plastic, so this was a drat sight more comfortable.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

Got the critical stuff back together and plugged in on the bike and did my initial start after doing the valve clearances and top end gaskets.

Barked to life and ran like a champ :woop:

Assuming no oil leaks after it sits for a while I'll finish buttoning it up. Hopefully tonight if all goes well!
Who was I kidding that I could get the bike equivalent of the large hadron collider together in one night jesus christ

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Retarded Pimp posted:

Put the retard eliminator on the Strom and it seems to make 6th run smoother at 60ish and gets rid of the O/D blinking when it wants me to shift. Then put on a Windstrom windscreen, it doesn't cut down the buffeting as much as I hoped it would, don't know if I should get the deflector that goes at the top or try to get the Madstad adapter plate and brackets and rig the Windstrom to that.

Oh, and got a 19mm allen socket so I could finally loosen the front axle and fork brace to true them up.

The Madstad does make a pretty nice difference, it lets you angle the windshield back a bit so it doesn't create that big bubble of air that hits the top of the helmet. Let me know how you like the deflector if you get it, I was thinking one of those would make longer trips pretty comfortable.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I installed a Corbin seat and my butt thanked me :allears:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Finally installed the mirrors that I had for the past two weeks. Now I can actually see something in the mirrors, and they come with the funky 'Assholes in mirror are bigger than they appear' inscription.

Also sold the scooter that was sitting in the parking spot for the last 4 months. Not a bad day all in all.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Troubleshot a charging problem that have gotten from worse to bad. Now the battery is slowly draining with the lights on at any rpm.

The Stator is bad. I got different voltage from one of the 3 wires. Checked the wires all the way and there is no damage on them. Ordered a new used stator.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Lynza posted:

That's cool but beads will probably work better. That will be a mess if you get caught in the rain.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah. the rainwater will drain right through beads.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

n8r posted:

That's cool but beads will probably work better. That will be a mess if you get caught in the rain.

It'll dry. Eventually.

I guess the worst case scenario is that you park the bike, it rains, and you come back to a wet shaggy dog saddle. In that case, just pop it off before you ride away.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I made myself some beads out of a car bead seat cover. Silly looking but so comfy. With the beads I managed to do 1,300 miles in three days on my GS and was only really sore rather than dead.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, typically here we have a very short, very dry summer. So in September I'll take it off. I put some parachute clips on it for easy removal, since the drat Ninjer has to have two pieces of fairing removed to get the seat off.

I definitely want to try the beads at some point. I had them years ago in my car, and I liked them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Swapped in a new battery. Feels like the bike is a lot more willing to deliver power now, especially at low RPMs. Never realized how much difference a good spark does.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 18, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Cleaned the absolute poo poo out of the front + rear sprocket, the sprocket cover, the chain guard, the chain, the swingarm, and all the stuff near the front sprocket that was completely covered with flung-off grime. Chunks, piles, entire rags-worth of filth and grit. Also lubed all the thangs. Hell yeah, nice and shiny now.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I washed it. Now it's all sparkly :3:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone here ever remove the chrome plating off say your exhaust pipes? I'm not much a fan of chrome and I bought a set of exhaust pipes for my bike. The rust on it is not too bad but I was thinking of removing the chrome and maybe spraying it with the ceramic high heat paint.

any ideas?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

Anyone here ever remove the chrome plating off say your exhaust pipes? I'm not much a fan of chrome and I bought a set of exhaust pipes for my bike. The rust on it is not too bad but I was thinking of removing the chrome and maybe spraying it with the ceramic high heat paint.

any ideas?

If you want to actually remove it it'll pretty much need sand-blasting. If you just want to paint over it, sanding to roughen it up, primer and paint should be fine.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Got some new handlebars to replace the ones that punched in both sides of my old tank. Put them on inverted like lovely clubmans because I'm so cool. Rode for twenty minutes, went "gently caress this, this is painful and I look most certainly like a retard."

Tried to put them on the right way up, discovered my brake line is six inches too short to do so. gently caress this noise, I'm going back to painting my new tank. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Installed Zeta barkbusters with integrated flashers on the DRZ. Next is the turn-signal tail light controller. Weight reduction of like a pound maybe!

infraboy posted:

Sold the 954rr today :( Hope new owner enjoys it.

I'm trying to find a clean 900 or 954 in Wisconsin right now to put a handlebar on. :getin:

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 20, 2014