Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Phanatic posted:

Are those noisy enough to have to worry about the abatement path in the first place?

I'm not sure, because there aren't any scheduled flights to John Wayne Airport using the 1900D. Plenty of King Airs with charter and business outfits, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

drunkill posted:

"Twenty-Two Nighthawks. Total Cost: $2,446,400,000."

Not the best idea to line them all up ready for a strafing run is it then?

If they're in danger of being strafed in New Mexico or wherever they were based, something has already gone very wrong indeed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fucknag posted:

If they're in danger of being strafed in New Mexico or wherever they were based, something has already gone very wrong indeed.

Holloman :negative:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

drunkill posted:

"Twenty-Two Nighthawks. Total Cost: $2,446,400,000. one B-2."

Let's keep things in perspective here.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Phanatic posted:

Are those noisy enough to have to worry about the abatement path in the first place?

The departure procedures at John Wayne make no distinctions in this case; all turboprop and pure jet aircraft must follow the same procedure.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fucknag posted:

No, no, no, they're parked close together so they can be protected from saboteurs !

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I don't even see anything on that runway :ninja:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

drunkill posted:

"Twenty-Two Nighthawks. Total Cost: $2,446,400,000."

So cheaper than F-35's, and they actually fly without randomly catching on fire.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Slamburger posted:

I don't even see anything on that runway :ninja:

If you zoom in, there's a bunch of weather balloons lined up on the tarmac.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Locator posted:

So cheaper than F-35's, and they actually fly without randomly catching on fire.

I know they are about as much as "fighter" as a helicopter, but not going to lie if news came out tomorrow Canada made a deal to take them out of mothballs to replace the CF18s I'd be as happy as a 6 year old at chuck-e-cheese.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

I know they are about as much as "fighter" as a helicopter, but not going to lie if news came out tomorrow Canada made a deal to take them out of mothballs to replace the CF18s I'd be as happy as a 6 year old at chuck-e-cheese.

I think we'd probably be better off just sticking with the CF-18s. At least they have radar and a whole host of other things the nighthawks don't.

Besides the correct US mothballed aircraft to replace the cf18 is the A-10 :colbert: no radar too but I can forgive it, this time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shut up you. It's black so it's cool.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Really we should just get the YF23, that was black. None more black.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

That's assuming they were in fact mothballed. There are a number of videos of -117s out flying since their retirement; whether they are being held in some sort of functional retirement or actually being used in some role is a point rife with idle speculation.

Also the -117 is a horrible maintenance hog - for a long time it posted the all-time worst maintenance per flying hour rate; 150 man-hours per flying hour. Even after several improvement programs the rate was still greater than 50, which compares poorly to nearly every other fighter-bomber type aircraft (with the exception of the F-14 :laffo:)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

slidebite posted:

Shut up you. It's black so it's cool.

Just paint the A-10's black - instant BRRRAAAAAAAAP-stealth. :v:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MrChips posted:

That's assuming they were in fact mothballed. There are a number of videos of -117s out flying since their retirement; whether they are being held in some sort of functional retirement or actually being used in some role is a point rife with idle speculation.

Also the -117 is a horrible maintenance hog - for a long time it posted the all-time worst maintenance per flying hour rate; 150 man-hours per flying hour. Even after several improvement programs the rate was still greater than 50, which compares poorly to nearly every other fighter-bomber type aircraft (with the exception of the F-14 :laffo:)

They're kept in some sort of active retirement state. What the USAF has planned for them, I dunno. But yea the fleet and knowledge base is still intact somewhat.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
IIRC the F-117s were big pieces of crap that were geared to an extremely narrow mission profile that depended heavily on the element of surprise. If you think the F-35 is a bit of a turd in the dogfighting arena, remember the F-117 only has that F- moniker as one last layer of deception, and that an A-10 could probably run rings around it. That and the stealth tech was old twenty years ago, which was why we didn't feel bad blowing its load against Fortress Baghdad.

Googling puts the F-117's top speed at a whopping 40 MPH more than a Tu-95's, which would make it pretty much useless at the one thing Canada still needs fixed-wing aircraft for, intercepting wayward Bears and shooing them back away from the mainland.

(Buy the F-23, do itt)

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

holocaust bloopers posted:

They're kept in some sort of active retirement state. What the USAF has planned for them, I dunno. But yea the fleet and knowledge base is still intact somewhat.

I'm in the "testing some sort of UCAV" camp. Either that or they've been converted to suicide drones and are being programmed to be used as something akin to a BQ-7.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rafales or bust for :canada:

Literally, the F-35 will bankrupt us.

Plus they are sexy lookin little French numbers

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Snowdens Secret posted:

Googling puts the F-117's top speed at a whopping 40 MPH more than a Tu-95's, which would make it pretty much useless at the one thing Canada still needs fixed-wing aircraft for, intercepting wayward Bears and shooing them back away from the mainland.
I wasn't serious

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

priznat posted:

Rafales or bust for :canada:

Literally, the F-35 will bankrupt us.

Plus they are sexy lookin little French numbers

Please buy them :france:

I still don't get why, with the Gripen and Rafale's track record, people don't just go 'gently caress the F-35'. The savings alone should make any government do a 180.

Plus, politically they'd be good for Franco-Canadian relationships.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I bet the #1 reason why the F-35 is continuing in Canada is because DND wants them and DND wants them because the higher mucky mucks are probably pals with the US DoD mucky mucks.

That or just plain inertia.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Barnsy posted:

Please buy them :france:

I still don't get why, with the Gripen and Rafale's track record, people don't just go 'gently caress the F-35'. The savings alone should make any government do a 180.

Plus, politically they'd be good for Franco-Canadian relationships.

How much kickbacks would Mulroney get? That's how Canadian purchases of French jets work isn't it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

How much kickbacks would Mulroney get? That's how Canadian purchases of French jets work isn't it?

Arrrgh god that guy. He is in the phase of his life now where he gets trotted out in "elder statesman" mode like everyone is supposed to forget what a crooked fucker he was/is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jonny Nox posted:

Ouch. That's going back.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrChips posted:

It's highly likely they're used for adversary work. An F-117 would make a fantastic adversary for F-22s and AESA Eagles/Hornets. Also really good for radar testing.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
I've only just gotten round to reading the 117's wiki page and lol

quote:

F-117, AF Ser. No. 80-0792, was lost on 11 July 1986 near Bakersfield, California. The aircraft suffered a controlled descent into terrain, and was destroyed on impact. The pilot, Maj Ross E. Mulhare, was killed in the crash. The cause was determined to be spatial disorientation.

F-117, AF Ser. No. 85-0815 was lost on 14 October 1987. The aircraft suffered a controlled descent into terrain, and was destroyed on impact about 100 miles north of Nellis Air Force Base, just east of Tonopah. The pilot, Maj Michael C. Stewart, was killed in the crash. The cause was determined to be spatial disorientation.

F-117, AF Ser. No. 82-0801, Perpetrator was lost on 4 August 1992. The aircraft crashed approximately eight miles northeast of Holloman Air Force Base, and was destroyed on impact. The pilot, Capt John B. Mills, 416th FS, ejected safely. The cause was determined to be an improperly installed bleed air duct.

F-117, AF Ser. No. 86-0822, was lost on 10 May 1995. The aircraft suffered a controlled descent into terrain, and was destroyed on impact approximately seven miles south of Zuni, New Mexico on the Zuni Indian Reservation. The pilot, Capt Kenneth Levens, was killed in the crash. The cause was determined to be spatial disorientation following autopilot failure.

F-117, AF Ser. No. 81-0793, was lost on 14 September 1997 during an airshow at Martin State Airport / Warfield Air National Guard Base in Baltimore, Maryland. The aircraft suffered a catastrophic wing failure, resulting in the port wing completely separating from the fuselage. The aircraft was destroyed on impact. The pilot ejected safely. The cause was determined to be missing wing bolts.

Definitely a theme there

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Snowdens Secret posted:

(Buy the F-23, do itt)

That's an interesting thought: could Northrop (or Boeing, I guess) pull an F-20 and develop a fighter with the specific intent of exporting? Obviously Lockmart does that already with Viper variants, but something like the F-23, a full-size air superiority fighter; maybe with slightly less capability than late-model F-22s, but still cutting edge?

I imagine a lot of countries would be scrambling to buy an actual good fighter; Canada and Australia come to mind.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Fucknag posted:

That's an interesting thought: could Northrop (or Boeing, I guess) pull an F-20 and develop a fighter with the specific intent of exporting? Obviously Lockmart does that already with Viper variants, but something like the F-23, a full-size air superiority fighter; maybe with slightly less capability than late-model F-22s, but still cutting edge?

I imagine a lot of countries would be scrambling to buy an actual good fighter; Canada and Australia come to mind.

Building airplanes on spec is a good way to lose a lot of money. Back when there were meaningful arms export restrictions, there was some sense to it. It is pretty much impossible to sell a cheap and cheerful 'export' fighter in a market where you could buy the 4000th through 4040th front line fighter off the line, and have 20 nations and 3999 fighters to buy second-hand parts off down the road.

What do most nations need an air force for? To meet their bare minimum commitments to their treaty organizations, and maritime sovereignty. You can do either of those better than fine with an F-16 or F-18. (or a Mig-29)

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Fucknag posted:

You just described the silent eagle\hornet.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Snowdens Secret posted:

remember the F-117 only has that F- moniker as one last layer of deception

This :master: did not get nearly enough love. :allears:

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

They compensate for the take off procedure when they book the flight too. It's like how airlines compensated for Calgary's short main runway (actually high altitude, but whatever) by not launching their big planes or only scheduling routes out of Calgary where they can keep the takeoff weight safe by shortening their route (ie connecting to Vancouver instead of non-stop to Hon Kong)

No one is booking long non-stops out of John Wayne, LAX is like 2 hours away isn't it?

Calgary's primary main runway that's been around for years 16/34 (now 17R/35L) is 12,675' long. The only time I am aware of that long haul operations had to make an intermittent stop was years ago when they were repaving a portion of it near the 34 touch down zone. Air Canada's flights to LHR and FRA (operated with A343's at the time I believe) had to hop up to Edmonton to fuel up before heading across the Atlantic.

That runway has regularly accommodated Cargolux 744's and 748's non-stop to Luxembourg before the new 14,000' parallel opened up a month or so ago. It is also sufficient enough for the Air Canada YYC-Narita flight to depart with no penalties too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Guys Canada can't buy black planes, how are they supposed to paint a cockpit on the bottom?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I think we'd probably be better off just sticking with the CF-18s. At least they have radar

F117s don't have radar? I had no idea.

e: damnit

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 16, 2014

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

buttcrackmenace posted:

F22s don't have radar? I had no idea.

Radar != Stealth.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

Radar != Stealth.

I can understand SOP being to not radiate ... I'm just curious as to whether the airframe simply doesn't have radar gear at all.

off to wikipedia!

Wikipedians posted:

The F-117A carries no radar, which lowers emissions and cross-section, and whether it carries any radar detection equipment is classified.

Going to work this into the next trivia contest. "What was the last American military aircraft built without on-board radar?"

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 16, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

buttcrackmenace posted:

I can understand SOP being to not radiate ... I'm just curious as to whether the airframe simply doesn't have radar gear at all.

off to wikipedia!

F-22 has radar. They were talking about another jet.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

holocaust bloopers posted:

F-22 has radar. They were talking about another jet.

I got that - mentally swapped 117 and 22.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
But the F117 is so cool looking :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I especially liked the one that was modded for special forces airborne insertion.