Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
A follow up!

quote:

Before a room full of cameras and reporters Tuesday, Dan Courtney of Hamlin became the first atheist to deliver a secular opening invocation before the Greece Town Board.

The national spotlight -- reporters representing Reuters and The Associated Press were among those present -- was prompted by a a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in May that allowed prayer before public meetings.

As soon as the atheist invocation was over, people began leaving the meeting and interrupting efforts by the Town Board to have a moment of silence for Deputy Supervisor Jerry Helfer, who died Sunday at age 48.

The invocation sideshow drew one protester who said he felt compelled to come, but not enough to identify himself.
lol, a protestor.

A protestor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
/Sigh/ at the D&C not being able to tell the difference between "principal" and "principle".

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What was the name of the drug included in the Hobby Lobby suit that hasn't been shown to abort a fertilized egg but still is considered an abortive (by Hobby Lobby, because reasons) anyway?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unzip and Attack posted:

What was the name of the drug included in the Hobby Lobby suit that hasn't been shown to abort a fertilized egg but still is considered an abortive (by Hobby Lobby, because reasons) anyway?

I think it's just the pill, unless you're thinking of Plan B.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

Plan B, Ella, copper IUDs and hormonal IUDs.

The FDA labels for each of them say that they also prevent implantation (which was Hobby Lobby's belief), but many doctors say that the FDA labels aren't accurate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Doesn't really matter since the court clarified the next day that believing any birth control at all are satanic whore-accoutrements is enough to ignore the law.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

esquilax posted:

Plan B, Ella, copper IUDs and hormonal IUDs.

The FDA labels for each of them say that they also prevent implantation (which was Hobby Lobby's belief), but many doctors say that the FDA labels aren't accurate.

FDA is going to be more accurate than "many doctors" 95-99% of the time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's in the same "may" category that just about all medicines are in. (That's why you go off medicines entirely when trying to get pregnant)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Discendo Vox posted:

FDA is going to be more accurate than "many doctors" 95-99% of the time.

It's always been a hugely politicized issue, pro-lifers created a cloud of uncertainty and then demanded the label say "may cause abortions". Nowadays even the FDA is beginning to admit that science is not on their side.

quote:

The notion that morning-after pills prevent eggs from implanting stems from the Food and Drug Administration’s decision during the drug-approval process to mention that possibility on the label — despite lack of scientific proof, scientists say, and objections by the manufacturer of Plan B, the pill on the market the longest. Leading scientists say studies since then provide strong evidence that Plan B does not prevent implantation, and no proof that a newer type of pill, Ella, does. Some abortion opponents said they remain unconvinced.

After The Times asked about this issue, A.D.A.M., the firm that writes medical entries for the National Institutes of Health Web site, deleted passages suggesting emergency contraceptives could disrupt implantation. The Times, which uses A.D.A.M.’s content on its health Web page, updated its site. The medical editor in chief of the Web site for the Mayo Clinic, Dr. Roger W. Harms, said “we are champing at the bit” to revise the entry if the Food and Drug Administration changes labels or other agencies make official pronouncements.

“These medications are there to prevent or delay ovulation,” said Dr. Petra M. Casey, an obstetrician-gynecologist at Mayo. “They don’t act after fertilization.”

The F.D.A. declined to discuss decisions about the effect on implantation or to say whether it would consider revising labels. But Erica Jefferson, an F.D.A. spokeswoman, acknowledged: “The emerging data on Plan B suggest that it does not inhibit implantation. Less is known about Ella. However, some data suggest it also does not inhibit implantation.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/health/research/morning-after-pills-dont-block-implantation-science-suggests.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
On the one hand, I hadn't heard of that case, which fits within the 1% "oh god please don't defund us" FDA-wrong-on-science scenario. On the other hand, it's the NYT, which has really execrable science coverage. Reading the article, their sources on both sides of the issue are horrible or nonexistent. The drug manufacturer didn't want to a possibility of inhibited implantation on the label? no poo poo. I especially love how they talk about "studies" without citing them in almost all cases, then diving into a he said she said report-the-controversy in the last couple paragraphs. They also don't discuss all the contraceptive methods at issue in the case, of course.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

VitalSigns posted:

Doesn't really matter since the court clarified the next day that believing any birth control at all are satanic whore-accoutrements is enough to ignore the law.

Exactly. Hobby Lobby could block Pez if the geniuses running the company believe it causes an abortion (if Pez were a medication paid for by the insurance plan). The decision was based almost entirely on the assumption that belief trumps fact when it comes to saving your soul.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 16, 2014

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Anyone have a link handy that explains or outlines the follow up "clarification" mentioned here?

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

Anyone have a link handy that explains or outlines the follow up "clarification" mentioned here?

http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/07/wider-impact-of-hobby-lobby-ruling/

There some lower court rulings that now need to be reviewed, and were not limited to the specific types Hobby Lobby was refusing to cover. So the lower court has just been told to re-do their work based on the logic in the Supreme ruling which consists of, as far as I can tell, "Catholics can do what they want as far as dealing with their employees' contraception, because we said so.".

quote:

In three cases in which a federal appeals court had rejected the challenges to the mandate, the new Supreme Court orders told those courts to reconsider, applying Monday’s decision. The companies or their owners had taken those petitions to the Court.

There are also cases where the government tried to get companies to cover things, and the rulings where they lost were not ordered to be reviewed.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

So this Halbig case is going to destroy Obamacare right?

Heh.

Opinion: Link

Commentary:

Bloomberg News posted:

President Barack Obama’s health-care overhaul suffered a potentially crippling blow as a U.S. appeals court ruled the government can’t give financial assistance to anyone buying coverage on the insurance marketplace run by federal authorities.

The decision, if it withstands appeals, may deprive more than half the people who signed up for Obamacare the tax credits they need to buy a health plan.

The way the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is written makes clear that the subsidy is available only to people who bought plans on state-run exchanges, a three-judge panel in Washington ruled today.

Only 14 states have opted to set up their own marketplaces, making delivery of tax credits via the federal exchange crucial to meeting Obamacare’s goal of broadening health-care coverage in the U.S.

“A very large share of people need the subsidies,” said Robert Blendon, a professor of health policy at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston. If the ruling isn’t overturned, “it basically would significantly cripple the law,” Blendon said in an interview before the ruling.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I told you guys!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I love the courts literally handing Republicans their 2014/16 playbook.

It's on the verge of death! Vote Republican and kill it for good!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So which specific judges were these?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Nonsense posted:

I love the courts literally handing Republicans their 2014/16 playbook.

It's on the verge of death! Vote Republican and kill it for good!

That looks kind of like the 2014/16 Democratic playbook, too. Vote Democratic, and keep your health insurance. Vote Republican, and lose it.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The link won't load for me, this is a lower court, right? Not SCOTUS?

Doesn't make much difference but as long as it hasn't gotten to SCOTUS yet I can still hope.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

razorrozar posted:

The link won't load for me, this is a lower court, right? Not SCOTUS?

Doesn't make much difference but as long as it hasn't gotten to SCOTUS yet I can still hope.

DC Circuit court. Two republican appointees voted to kill the subsidies, one democratic appointee voted to uphold them. It won't survive an en banc review, but then it's off to the Supremes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So if the PPACA survives SCOTUS a second time, what will be the next attempt to legislate it out of existence through the courts?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Radish posted:

So if this survives SCOTUS a second time, what will be the next attempt to legislate it out of existence through the courts?

Congress when Republicans get their majority, and over-turn Obama's veto. Other than that scenario, all they can do it pick off bits and push poor people into the dirt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So hey, since the Pom case, have we seen Lanham Act actions against Cherry Coke? Seems like a ripe target.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
So just how bullshit is the ACA ruling? Like it sounds like a whole lot of bullshit, but someone in the USPol thread was saying that laws are normally drafted to read 'the state or federal government' and that this shouldn't have been possible but was because of a drafting issue :shrug:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magres posted:

So just how bullshit is the ACA ruling? Like it sounds like a whole lot of bullshit, but someone in the USPol thread was saying that laws are normally drafted to read 'the state or federal government' and that this shouldn't have been possible but was because of a drafting issue :shrug:

Totally bullshit. It's a specious reading of the law that makes no sense given the statute as a whole, and you have to actually want ACA to fail in order to reach the conclusion that they did.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Totally bullshit. It's a specious reading of the law that makes no sense given the statute as a whole, and you have to actually want ACA to fail in order to reach the conclusion that they did.

Yeah I wouldn't expect the ruling to survive en Banc or at SCOTUS.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I disagree that the majority's arguments are "specious."

The key provisions read:

26 U.S.C. s. 36B(b)(2), relating to Assistance Credit Amount posted:

The premium assistance amount determined under this subsection with respect to any coverage month is the amount equal to the lesser of—

(A) the monthly premiums for such month for 1 or more qualified health plans offered in the individual market within a State which cover the taxpayer, the taxpayer’s spouse, or any dependent (as defined in section 152) of the taxpayer and which were enrolled in through an Exchange established by the State under 1311 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

26 U.S.C. s. 36B(c)(2)(A), relating to Coverage Months posted:

The term “coverage month” means, with respect to an applicable taxpayer, any month if—

(i) as of the first day of such month the taxpayer, the taxpayer’s spouse, or any dependent of the taxpayer is covered by a qualified health plan described in subsection (b)(2)(A) that was enrolled in through an Exchange established by the State under section 1311 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

The plain language of these provisions apply only to the state-created exchanges. Congress could have simply used "exchanges" or "state and federal" exchanges if it wanted these provisions to apply to both state and federal exchanges. But it didn't. It had these provisions apply only to exchanges "established by the State under section 1311 of the <PPACA>."

Whether there is sufficient evidence to overcome this plain language (as argued for by the dissent), I take no stance on -- mainly because I haven't the time at the moment to read through the full opinions. But the majority's arguments aren't total bullshit.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

From the politics thread.

Fried Chicken posted:

So the 4th Circuit Court of appeals was also hearing on the subsidies

They just ruled to uphold them

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/king_usca4_20140722.pdf

So basically conservatives got to celebrate for about 90 minutes

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Green Crayons posted:

The key provisions read:

The plain language of these provisions apply only to the state-created exchanges.

You didn't cite the language for the federal exchange. The "plain language" is only plain when you specifically cut out the context. You need to read the section it cites.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Green Crayons posted:

The key provisions read:

The plain language of these provisions apply only to the state-created exchanges. Congress could have simply used "exchanges" or "state and federal" exchanges if it wanted these provisions to apply to both state and federal exchanges. But it didn't. It had these provisions apply only to exchanges "established by the State under section 1311 of the <PPACA>."

Whether there is sufficient evidence to overcome this plain language (as argued for by the dissent), I take no stance on -- mainly because I haven't the time at the moment to read through the full opinions. But the majority's arguments aren't total bullshit.

So what does section 1311 say about exchanges established by the states?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Green Crayons posted:

The key provisions read:

Unless otherwise clarified in the law, "the State" can and often does mean the government as a whole. "The State" referring to the US itself is not unique to this law and if this ruling were upheld on the notion that "the State" means "one of the 50 states" it could gently caress with a lot of laws. If it meant individual breakdowns it'd be "a State" or "the States" as those mean more than one entity, not just the entirety of the government.

Or maybe when someone's considered an "enemy of the state" it means they're actually only an enemy of certain states and not the country. :downs:

SEC. 1311. AFFORDABLE CHOICES OF HEALTH BENEFIT PLANS.

(a) ASSISTANCE TO STATES TO ESTABLISH AMERICAN HEALTH BENEFIT EXCHANGES.—

https://sites.google.com/site/healthreformnavigator/ppaca-sec-1311

It exists to provide assistance to states to create an exchange. In the case of states doing nothing because they're spiteful fucks, it means doing everything for them.

e: vvvv in Federal law "the State" can and often does mean the Federal government.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 22, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Magres posted:

It should have been drafted more clearly. Of course, laws have drafting errors frequently and courts often correct for them. The point I was making in the other thread is that "State", in federal laws, typically does not mean the federal government. That said, the reading they took was contrary to the way you would normally interpret that provision for other reasons (eg language in other parts of the bill, logic) so it's an incorrect reading of the PPACA.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's fair. To be clear, I wasn't trying to like call you out where you wouldn't see it or anything - I'm not a legal scholar (far from it, I'm a Nuclear Engineer and nothing more than an interested layman in legal stuff) and wanted to hear what the SCOTUS thread thought because my version of a 'legal argument' is to google 'the state,' paste the results into something, and say 'DEFINITION NOUN 2 SAYS THE STATE MEANS A COUNTRY IPSO FACTO IM RIGHT NERDS'

E: Holy hell did I actually use ipso facto in a remotely appropriate way? I was just typing off the top of my head and just threw some Latin legal-y sounding crap in on a lark. Then googled 'ipso facto' and it sounds like it actually works there

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 22, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless otherwise clarified in the law, "the State" can and often does mean the government as a whole.

1). No. In Federal laws, it is almost never used in that fashion.

2) 42 USC 18024, part of PPACA defines the term state.

42 USC 18024 posted:

in this title, the term 'State' means each of the 50 States and the District of Columbia.

So it is both generally and specifically understood not to refer to the federal government. No one, including the federal government, made the argument that "state" includes federal. The argument was whether federally established state exchanges should be considered to be established by the federal government standing in for the states and therefore effectively established by a state.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Specifically, if a state fails to fulfill its duty to create an exchange under 1311, the secretary creates that exchange for them. It's not a separate type of exchange: the Secretary is establishing the exchange for the State that failed to do so.

The specific language is here:

quote:

(c) FAILURE TO ESTABLISH EXCHANGE OR IMPLEMENT REQUIREMENTS.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—If—
(A) a State is not an electing State under subsection (b); or
(B) the Secretary determines, on or before January 1, 2013, that an electing State—
(i) will not have any required Exchange operational by January 1, 2014; or
(ii) has not taken the actions the Secretary determines necessary to implement—
(I) the other requirements set forth in the standards under subsection (a); or
(II) the requirements set forth in subtitles A and C and the amendments made by such subtitles; the Secretary shall (directly or through agreement with a notforprofit entity) establish and operate such Exchange within the State and the Secretary shall take such actions as are necessary to implement such other requirements. 2736(b) of the Public Health Services Act shall apply to the enforcement under paragraph (1) of requirements of subsection (a)(1) (without regard to any limitation on the application of those provisions to group health plans).

"such Exchange" means that the State has a duty to make the exchange, and if they don't (because they cannot be coerced, legally) the Federal government establishes it on their behalf. It's not a separate type of exchange. It's the same exchange, established under the same regulations (and yes, you can have multi-state exchanges that aren't federal). It is abundantly clear to anyone sane that reads the entire thing what it means: it is strictly people who only read the carefully selected language that leaves out anything that doesn't support the conclusion, or people with a vested ideological interest in misreading it.

We do not gut laws because of minor ambiguities like this one in any other context.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

So what does section 1311 say about exchanges established by the states?

Section 1311 says how the individual states can establish an exchange, section 1321 talks about how the federal government can establish an exchange in a state if the state does not.

The government's arguments generally amount to reasons why a federal exchange established under section 1321 qualifies as "an Exchange established by the State under section 1311", by text or by context.

I personally think the government is right here but the other side's argument isn't as ridiculous as I thought during my initial reaction.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

evilweasel posted:

Specifically, if a state fails to fulfill its duty to create an exchange under 1311, the secretary creates that exchange for them. It's not a separate type of exchange: the Secretary is establishing the exchange for the State that failed to do so.

The specific language is here:

"such Exchange" means that the State has a duty to make the exchange, and if they don't (because they cannot be coerced, legally) the Federal government establishes it on their behalf. It's not a separate type of exchange. It's the same exchange, established under the same regulations (and yes, you can have multi-state exchanges that aren't federal). It is abundantly clear to anyone sane that reads the entire thing what it means: it is strictly people who only read the carefully selected language that leaves out anything that doesn't support the conclusion, or people with a vested ideological interest in misreading it.

We do not gut laws because of minor ambiguities like this one in any other context.

You misunderstand. Obama passed this law, therefore

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

It should have been drafted more clearly. Of course, laws have drafting errors frequently and courts often correct for them. The point I was making in the other thread is that "State", in federal laws, typically does not mean the federal government. That said, the reading they took was contrary to the way you would normally interpret that provision for other reasons (eg language in other parts of the bill, logic) so it's an incorrect reading of the PPACA.

Agreed; I think the 4th Circuit concurrence is correct: the statute means that federal exchanges get the subsidies. However, even if that's wrong, the statute's at best ambiguous, and Chevron deference applies, which means that the IRS's determination that federal exchanges get the subsidies also wins the day. I don't see any way to get to the "this statute unambiguously says that only state exchanges get subsidized."

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Beamed posted:

You misunderstand. Obama passed this law, therefore

Also this law benefits the poor so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

esquilax posted:

Section 1311 says how the individual states can establish an exchange, section 1321 talks about how the federal government can establish an exchange in a state if the state does not.

The government's arguments generally amount to reasons why a federal exchange established under section 1321 qualifies as "an Exchange established by the State under section 1311", by text or by context.

I personally think the government is right here but the other side's argument isn't as ridiculous as I thought during my initial reaction.

special snowflakes edition: it doesn't matter whether the other side's argument isn't ridiculous, because the fact that it's, in the plaintiff's best light, ambiguous, means that the IRS's interpretation of the statute controls because of Chevron deference

quote:

(1) "First, always, is the question whether Congress has directly spoken to the precise question at issue. If the intent of Congress is clear, that is the end of the matter; for the court as well as the agency must give effect to the unambiguously expressed intent of Congress."

"If the Court determines Congress has not directly addressed the precise question at issue, the court does not simply impose its own construction of the statute . . . Rather,

(2) [I]f the statute is silent or ambiguous with respect to the specific question, the issue for the court is whether the agency's answer is based on a permissible construction of the statute." Chevron U.S.A. v. NRDC, 467 U.S. 837, 842–843 (1984).