Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
We were this close to seeing CNN get sold off, y'all:

NYT posted:

The media giant 21st Century Fox, the empire run by Rupert Murdoch, made an $80 billion takeover bid in recent weeks for Time Warner Inc. but was rebuffed, people briefed on the matter said on Wednesday. (...)

As part of the proposal to buy Time Warner, people briefed on the proposal said, 21st Century Fox indicated that it would sell CNN to head off potential antitrust concerns since Fox News competes directly with CNN. Putting CNN on the auction block would likely stir up a bidding war for the news channel; both CBS and ABC, a unit of the Walt Disney Company, have long been viewed as interested suitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I missed South Africa chat but in my limited experience, SA men are identical personality-wise to German old women.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

R. Mute posted:

dutch is a beautiful language, though.

incorrect opinions itt

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Interestingly, that article's been waylaid- the exceptions at issue were never "secret", according to the cited and underlying documentation.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ufarn posted:

We were this close to seeing CNN get sold off, y'all:

Honestly, it's dubious whether CNN would be worse if it got sold off to Murdoch.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
CNN and Jeff Zucker deserve each other and you're crazy if you aren't interested in seeing how far they'll go together.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I read that as "vulvar fricative" and spent a whole minute in bemusement.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Holographic research would still be in the 90s if not for CNN.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I can't wait to see what they'll do with the 2016 primary debates.

There is a non-zero chance that Newt Gingrich will moderate one.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Tony Jowns posted:

incorrect opinions itt
i mean, if you have to listen to dutch people talking - yeah, it's kind of bad. but the language itself is just wonderful. languages sort of have personalities, things they're just suited to. like how french is the language of love and german is the language of hitler-y shouting. and to me, dutch is just a very cheerful and light-hearted language. it's great and i love it

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I can't wait to see what they'll do with the 2016 primary debates.

There is a non-zero chance that Newt Gingrich will moderate one.

Lord willing from his moon base.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If y'all don't read The Toast you should.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Lord willing from his moon base.

Or at a zoo, with all the candidates holding adorable critters on their laps.

Just keep Romney away from the small varmints.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Got off the phone with my cousin about a half hour ago. Pretty weird hearing a grown rear end man cry on the phone. His unemployment ran out about a month ago, I guess there is no extension options out there, and it doesn't look like anything will be passed for it either.

I'm gonna pay his rent and internet bill this month. But I can't afford to do that poo poo on the regular. I will just pretend this as a tax increase caused by republicans specifically on me, so I can continue to hate them as I normally would.

Poor guy. What a depressing conversation. He sounds pretty screwed.

And that is my depressing chat thread post of the day.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 16, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dirt posted:

Got off the phone with my cousin about a half hour ago. Pretty weird hearing a grown rear end man cry on the phone. His unemployment ran out about a month ago, I guess there is no extension options out there, and it doesn't look like anything will be passed for it either.

I'm gonna pay his rent and internet bill this month. But I can't afford to do that poo poo on the regular. I will just pretend this as a tax increase caused by republicans specifically on me, so I can continue to hate them as I normally would.

Poor guy. What a depressing conversation. He sounds pretty screwed.

And that is my depressing chat thread post of the day.
We shouldn't have to live in a country where men cry because they simply can't pay their rent. Also, we don't actually have to. Although this won't change.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
What's Obama doing in Darrell Issa's garage?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Joementum posted:

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

In the future we will all drive Saturns. They make them again. Everyone apologized for not buying them, and they started making them again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do they still let any employee pull the stop-the-assembly-line rope if they spot even the tiniest defect in quality?

Why does my brain maintain so many records of a 15 year old patronizing ad campaign?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

zoux posted:

Do they still let any employee pull the stop-the-assembly-line rope if they spot even the tiniest defect in quality?

Why does my brain maintain so many records of a 15 year old patronizing ad campaign?

I imagine their stop-all-assembly rope is only connected to a trap door under who pulls it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OryYltZTpXY

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
I'm thinking of starting a Education & Politics thread. Anyone have anything that we should cover or include? I know enough about Texas Education but is any other state doing something incredibly stupid with their?

Also, any thread title ideas?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
It's probably safe to assume that every state is pursuing stupid education policies

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Michael Gove has just been demoted from Education Secretary to Chief Whip having changed the English education system for the worse and pissing off every teacher in England, so there's definitely something in that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i assume education policy is made according to the lewis black method:

"I GOT A REALLY BAD IDEA!"
"AND I CAN MAKE IT EVEN SHITTIER!"

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

R. Mute posted:

i mean, if you have to listen to dutch people talking - yeah, it's kind of bad. but the language itself is just wonderful. languages sort of have personalities, things they're just suited to. like how french is the language of love and german is the language of hitler-y shouting. and to me, dutch is just a very cheerful and light-hearted language. it's great and i love it

quote:

Graf te Blauwhuis
voor buurvrouw H. te G.

Hij rende weg, maar ontkwam niet,
en werd getroffen, en stierf, achttien jaar oud.
Een strijdbaar opschrift roept van alles,
maar uit een bruin geëmailleerd portret
kijkt een bedrukt en stil gezicht.
Een kind nog. Dag lieve jongen.

Gij, die koning zijt, dit en dat, wat niet al,
ja ja, kom er eens om,

Gij weet waarom het is, ik niet.
Dat Koninkrijk van U, weet U wel, wordt dat nog wat?

It can be just as baroque as any other language though. Reve is a king in combining the two 'moods', but especially older poetry does not feel 'light-hearted' at all IMO

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 16, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dutch sounds like people speaking at a high school German level.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Public school is probably the most depressing subject you could possibly discuss with people

*argument to remove funding from schools goes here*
"Buuut... you sent all eight of your daughters to public school????????_?????????"

:negative:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Antwan3K posted:

It can be just as baroque as any other language though. Reve is a king in combining the two 'moods', but especially older poetry does not feel 'light-hearted' at all IMO
Yeah, you're right. It's more how I see and use it personally. Although I would argue that the reason older poetry isn't often light-hearted is more due to the context in which they were produced - who wrote it, when, poetry being more strictly defined by rules in the past, etc. But yeah, it's not all Herman de Coninck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I'm forming a petition to rename "Dutch" to "hollandaise".

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

every dutch-speaking person outside of the provinces north and south holland would hate you forever.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Hello, I know very little of TV news quality. How good is Al Jazeera America compared to MSNBC/CNN/BBC

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dante Logos posted:

I'm thinking of starting a Education & Politics thread. Anyone have anything that we should cover or include? I know enough about Texas Education but is any other state doing something incredibly stupid with their?

Also, any thread title ideas?

Education and Politics: Dumb and Charter.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zoux posted:

If y'all don't read The Toast you should.

Agreed.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Peta posted:

Hello, I know very little of TV news quality. How good is Al Jazeera America compared to MSNBC/CNN/BBC

infinitely better

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Peta posted:

Impossible to say, it's never been broadcast.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Yes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mallory Ortberg's Objectivist Harry Potter series loving owns.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

zoux posted:

Mallory Ortberg's Objectivist Harry Potter series loving owns.

Ortberg's one of my favorite internet writers.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Peta posted:

It's loving awesome. They even do science reporting well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Peta posted:

It's like comparing the sun to your mom's hemorrhoids.

• Locked thread