Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Rant of the day:

Finally found a buyer for my scooter that was for sale for quite a while, and the dude wanted to have it checked out by a professional (to which I didn't object).

So we both went there, with the scooter and all, and the "professional" starts checking.

For some background, scooter is a 400cc suzuki burgman that I bought new in April last year. I rode it for about 10000km (6k miles?) and semi-retired it when I got a non scooter earlier this year. It was never in an accident, never fell over, and there is barely a scratch on it. There is no rust on the chrome or brake disks, and it was even clean and dust free.

The "professional" check found out that i have a busted steering bearing, and to replace it, it would take around 6 hours of work, and parts worth an arm and a leg. To prove his point he tried to show me and the buyer how the steering gets "stuck" in the middle and how this is serious effecting the handling of the bike. Of course, neither me or the buyer could feel any problem with the steering, and the "professional" started explaining how we can't feel it but he does since he is an experienced racer.

Fortunately the guy who was buying the scooter was of reasonable sort and didn't fall for the "professional's" lame excuse for trying to extort money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A "busted" steering head bearing would be pretty apparent.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Just want to rant and say gently caress revit and all the other poo poo brands that are not Dainese. Do they just think skinny people don't exist? I'm a tiny dude, no doubt, but everything from every company that's not Dainese has always fit me like a sack. I blame all the fatties.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Just want to rant and say gently caress revit and all the other poo poo brands that are not Dainese. Do they just think skinny people don't exist? I'm a tiny dude, no doubt, but everything from every company that's not Dainese has always fit me like a sack. I blame all the fatties.

Shop RS Taichi, motorcycling brand for tiny dudes everywhere.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

Shop RS Taichi, motorcycling brand for tiny dudes everywhere.

I'll keep em in mind but I have all my gear, I just ended up going dianese. And I don't really feel slighted since I think Dianese makes the coolest products anyhow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I always thought that A* were notoriously undersized if not small

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
MNS and I are the local RS Taichi fanclub. Elf men swathed in Japanese splendor.

I fuckin love my Rev'it race gloves, though.

tjones
May 13, 2005

slidebite posted:

I always thought that A* were notoriously undersized if not small

A*stars seems to fit really tall slender people better in my experience. Dianese seems to fit extremely slender and very short people better.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ScienceAndMusic posted:

You need to get Swole, bro. I used to be 5'8 and 125. Now I'm 6'4 and 225. Sheer willpower, right there.

Serioustalk; I have long, gangly arms. It's resulted in some really interesting tan lines where my jacket stops and my gloves haven't started yet.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Try being really tall. I have to wear XXL, still barely long enough for my midrift, loose as hell along my arms.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I'm a pretty slender dude and both Dainese and Rev'it stuff fits well. Rev'it definitely isn't for fatties, it just maybe isn't for twinks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A* and Dainese are Italian and RS Taichi is Japanese. Italy and Japan are not the first countries that come to mind when you think "fat people."

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah, but theres like... nobody out there that makes decent leathers for my 6'4" 260# rear end.

:(

e: That isn't harley or a fetish store.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Olympia is all about textile gear, but they're cut pretty generously.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Digital_Jesus posted:

How much abrasion resistance does a gimp suit offer? Is it better than jeans?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yeah, but theres like... nobody out there that makes decent leathers for my 6'4" 260# rear end.

:(

I've gotten down to 250 recently but :smith::hf::smith: sup buddy

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I completely agree on this. My a* jacket fit like a glove, but everything else, including my sedici jacket, is so baggy. It's obviously made for fat people. I'll check out rs taichi, and will stick with dianese/a* until then. I get it there are a lot of rotund riders, but does it really have to be the majority? Why is this?

I guess "why go for a run when you can ride!".

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Dainese and A* usually do have a tighter fit. Lots of stuff made for sale in ye old USA has what I like to call the "American cut" - room for the beer gut.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ScienceAndMusic posted:

/

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

/

Yeah rip

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kevin smith died?!?!?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Southwest airlines strapped him to two seats and force fed him meatball sandwiches until he choked.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So apparently motorbike shops are in the same category business as fishmongers, they shut on Sundays and Mondays... That's useful, you know, when you've waited the weekend to get something done, and you figure hey regular business hours I'm sure they'll do business, but I guess running a Ducati shop is lucrative enough that you can open whenever you like! gently caress. Not like I don't need this bike sold by the end of the goddamn week or anything. At this rate I'll end up selling it to webuyanybbike.com for a fiver or just leave it abandoned in a ditch.
Fingers crossed I get someone to lowball me on a 3 day ebay auction!

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Linedance posted:

So apparently motorbike shops are in the same category business as fishmongers, they shut on Sundays and Mondays... That's useful, you know, when you've waited the weekend to get something done, and you figure hey regular business hours I'm sure they'll do business, but I guess running a Ducati shop is lucrative enough that you can open whenever you like! gently caress. Not like I don't need this bike sold by the end of the goddamn week or anything. At this rate I'll end up selling it to webuyanybbike.com for a fiver or just leave it abandoned in a ditch.
Fingers crossed I get someone to lowball me on a 3 day ebay auction!

It's a bit of a heritage thing here in the US. Most shops either raced or sponsored someone that raced with some of the store folks acting as pit crew. Sunday was for racing and Monday was for the sales guy to get over the crash he had on the track. At least out in the midwest if you find a shop that's open both Sundays and Mondays you're pretty lucky.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Skreemer posted:

It's a bit of a heritage thing here in the US. Most shops either raced or sponsored someone that raced with some of the store folks acting as pit crew. Sunday was for racing and Monday was for the sales guy to get over the crash he had on the track. At least out in the midwest if you find a shop that's open both Sundays and Mondays you're pretty lucky.

This place is pretty much a one man operation from what I can gather, some old guru. Got my bike serviced there and never got my logbook stamped so I was hoping I could just swing by and get that taken care of with minimum hassle. I kind of get it, but ffs at least put your opening hours on your website!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If I owned a shop I'd be open on weekends and closed Monday/Tuesday or Tuesday/Wednesday. I'd much rather be closed and riding on days when all the office folk are at work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Radbot posted:

If I owned a shop I'd be open on weekends and closed Monday/Tuesday or Tuesday/Wednesday. I'd much rather be closed and riding on days when all the office folk are at work.

I also never got this. My local Honda place is open Saturday 9-12 and closed on Sunday, but open on Monday 8-7. Completely backwards. Who is going to the bike shop at 8AM on a Monday?

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I also never got this. My local Honda place is open Saturday 9-12 and closed on Sunday, but open on Monday 8-7. Completely backwards. Who is going to the bike shop at 8AM on a Monday?

I dropped off my bike for service this morning at 8 (Monday morning for me). Got on the replacement scooter, got to work, finished work, got back to the shop and picked up the bike: good reason for a shop to be open on Monday morning 8am.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The guy on a road trip who broke down Sunday and needs parts.

A lot more shops were open on Mondays before the economy crashed. A lot more shops were open, period, in some cases.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Commuters

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I commute on my bike and never go to the bike shop at 8AM? I dunno, it just seems counter-intuitive to me. You also need to remember this is in the US where no one would be dropping a bike off for service and getting a loaner. That really doesnt happen here.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
It's kinda funny reading about all the people complaining about not being able to service motorcycles on Sundays, because I grew up in PA and our Blue Laws still apply to car and motorcycle dealerships. It's still illegal to sell cars on a Sunday, so I've never seen a motorcycle or car dealer open on a Sunday (and even in the rare times they were "open" it was for a charity event of sorts, and no, you weren't allowed to buy a car). From what I understand the dealerships don't really give a gently caress back in PA because it's nice to have a guaranteed day off per week, and I know that from the perspective of the consumers they like to be able to look at cars in a lot without worrying about a salesman hounding them all day.

That said, yeah it would make a lot of sense to open motorcycle dealers on a Sunday, but in PA (at least) I doubt you'll ever see it happen. Traditionally it doesn't make sense (Sunday = Funday for your biek) and I doubt a lot of dealers would really want to put up with Sunday bullshit. However, I know for a fact that some of the Harley dealers around Pittsburgh are still open on Sundays, but you can't buy a bike, just their accessories and clothing. :v:

For those of you who think PA's backwards because of this, you're still correct because it was only within the last 3-4 years that they legalized buying beer on Sunday. But no, you can't buy that beer in a grocery store or Wal-Mart, sorry, you have to go to a special beer distributor that are handed out a special licenses and therefore can jack up the prices if they know they're the only game in town.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I commute on my bike and never go to the bike shop at 8AM? I dunno, it just seems counter-intuitive to me. You also need to remember this is in the US where no one would be dropping a bike off for service and getting a loaner. That really doesnt happen here.

That is pretty much standard here in every decent shop. You drop off your bike for service and get a crappy 125cc scooter for the day (for a fee, but very low one)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Sometimes if you get a bike serviced at a dealer they'll set you up with an extended test ride on whatever they're trying to sell which is a pretty good tactic.

The shop I get mine serviced at offered to hire me (for £20) some Chinese scooter but one of the main reasons I use them is that they're walking distance from the office so I just drop it off in the morning and pick it up on the way home.

(Mind you they don't officially open until 10am but there's normally someone around from about 8 so that's okay)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, other than changing tires I do all my own service, so I dont think of dealerships as anything but "stores for motorcycle stuff"

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yep. Just rode 30 minutes down to my motorcycle place to look at new helmets, only to remember they are closed Mondays.

Oh well, guess I have to ride home now...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

adary posted:

That is pretty much standard here in every decent shop. You drop off your bike for service and get a crappy 125cc scooter for the day (for a fee, but very low one)

Counterpoint, you could probably get from one side of your country to the other, maybe more than once, in a day's ride on a rental 125. I'd have a hard time riding one safely to work.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well in his defense he might have a hard time riding one safely to work too. Not as hard as some others.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There's a guy down the street from me riding a Blast with just an open header. I.... like the way it sounds :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Our shop is closed Sun/Mon like almost every other shop in the area. We've often talked about being open Sunday. Always decided it wouldn't work for us, for various reasons. One is that anybody working at the shop with a family needs at least one standard weekend day or you never get time with your family.

Another is that most of the people who come in the shop on the weekends are just time-wasters. Maybe if we sold more retail items it could work, dunno. But people don't bring bikes in for work on the weekends as much, they just look around and talk your ear off, preventing you from getting billable hours.

And the [surprisingly rare] cases of travelers needing help are often dickheads. I don't know why, but people who break down on a trip seem more than 50% likely to be demanding whiners who don't want to pay you for your time even though you're doing them a favor by working on their poo poo when you've already got a 2 week backlog.

And people get genuinely pissed if you're not open on normal weekdays. It's generally assumed all businesses are open during the week, Mondays cause enough problems, taking Tuesdays off too would be a bit much I think. Maybe a larger shop could do it, with enough people to do different shifts. We've only got 4 tops on any given day, and the way that works in this business is that only about 2.5-3 of those people will be able to do any work all day long.