Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ratpick posted:

We should totally get elfgames recognized as a legit sport. elfSports.

Competitive CharOp. PvP Tournaments. Teams of D&D players running their carefully optimized groups through gimmicky dungeons hosted by celebrity Dungeon Masters. The best teams would get sponsorship deals from Paizo and WotC and would do product endorsements for third party publishers.

Isn't that bit "classic" D&D from when Gygax and co were actively running games?

Also, yikes, all this talk makes me REALLY glad I got into TTRPGs late. And that my preferred systems are generally okay about this and are run by generally okay people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

PVP ruins MMOs, there I said it.

Now we're really getting to the heart of things.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure Dungeon Run Events are still a thing at cons.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ratpick posted:

We should totally get elfgames recognized as a legit sport. elfSports.

Competitive CharOp. PvP Tournaments. Teams of D&D players running their carefully optimized groups through gimmicky dungeons hosted by celebrity Dungeon Masters. The best teams would get sponsorship deals from Paizo and WotC and would do product endorsements for third party publishers.

"Hi, I'm loving Gary, player of Gregar 'Trollslayer' Johnson from the Minnesota Mimics. After a tough day in the dungeon there is only one kind of healing that is good enough for Gregar, and that is the potion of superlative healing from Fantasy Heartbreaker Games' new Magic Item Bargain Bin, available at a FLGS near you. Accept no substitutes."

This would be the best. gently caress. Now I'm going to have sponsors try to get characters in games that I run to sponsor their poo poo.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Now I just want to play X-Crawl.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

PVP ruins MMOs, there I said it.

It's fun in Guild Wars 2 because there are no stakes or consequences so there's no pressure to be geared for PvP in some grindy way, it's just a thing you can do to have fun when you feel like it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Sagan posted:

Me too. Next time I'm not active in like 8 games I'm going to run some X-crawl.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's fun in Guild Wars 2 because there are no stakes or consequences so there's no pressure to be geared for PvP in some grindy way, it's just a thing you can do to have fun when you feel like it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I've been meaning to run a 4e X-Crawl game for ages; it's a good excuse for the players to just go wild-rear end crazy with character optimization. I still haven't figured out a good overarching plot or framing mechanism for the various "games", though.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Gau posted:

It may have had something to do with the fact that I was willing to discuss what happened to me in the first person and be patient as Sage tried to figure things out, instead of throwing out wild accusations about how Dungeon World was now a Bad Game because one of its creators had said something problematic on a social networking site.

Are you really coming in here to not only troll the guy who is reversing his stance on a problematic statement, but also insult the victim of harassment?
I'm saying that someone else that told Sage pretty much the same exact thing and yet he ignored that information which is a pretty lovely thing to do.
EDIT:
It may have been accidental or it may have been on purpose but still its pretty crappy thing to do.

BrainParasite posted:

Were you following that G+ thread? It was a total shitshow. It was really really hard to see who was saying what and on what basis.
Actually what he was describing happened outside of the G+ thread.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 16, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Evil Sagan posted:

X-Crawl is literally the coolest setting saddled with some of the stupidest rules. I recall from the old F&F writeup of the game that there was a mechanic for signature moves, where you had to call your signature move and basically spend an entire round doing that to get a nickle and dime bonus to a certain maneuver, and of course during that one round there was a chance that the enemy you'd declared it on was already dead.

Basically, you should take the setting of X-Crawl and run it in a system that already supports maneuvers that you can only credibly pull of once per fight or day, like 4e. Hell, I'd probably run it in Old School Hack because that game owns.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To connect Sage and X-Crawl, Dungeon World is a great system for X-Crawl because of how momentum builds up via 7-9s and the ease of making Signature Moves by just saying how you do them.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 16, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ratpick posted:

X-Crawl is literally the coolest setting saddled with some of the stupidest rules. I recall from the old F&F writeup of the game that there was a mechanic for signature moves, where you had to call your signature move and basically spend an entire round doing that to get a nickle and dime bonus to a certain maneuver, and of course during that one round there was a chance that the enemy you'd declared it on was already dead.

Basically, you should take the setting of X-Crawl and run it in a system that already supports maneuvers that you can only credibly pull of once per fight or day, like 4e. Hell, I'd probably run it in Old School Hack because that game owns.

It had the coolest premise, yeah, but from what I remember reading in that F&F writeup, the setting was completely, batshit insane. Wasn't the US ruled by the Roman Empire, With Wizards?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
America, because Wizards Love Empires, went with a Roman Empire formation instead of a Roman Republic. It's a detail that exists only to have Ronald Reagan in a Toga, pretty much.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Mr. Maltose posted:

To connect Sage and X-Crawl, Dungeon World is a great system for X-Crawl because of hos momentum builds up via 7-9s and the ease of making Signature Moves by just saying how you do them.

Oh hell yeah, and you can even use the GM moves as stuff that the celebrity Dungeon Jockey (that was the term, right?) pulls from their rear end to make the crawlers' life more difficult.

"You're good... but are you good enough to take down the GELATINOUS QUANTUM OGRE?!"

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Run it in Fate Accelerated! Don't worry about equipment loadouts, or class balance or coherent worldbuilding - just tell players 'be anything', and let them Sneakily pants the ref and do intimidatingly Flashy dance moves. I ran a game with a half-motorcycle half-Tom-Cruise cyborg with a crippling blood/gasoline addiction, a sonic wizard riding an invisible dragon, and a dwarven tumbleweed with prehensile hair. All balanced and unique right out the gate.

They skateboarded down an erupting volcano while fighting ninjas, doing sweet kickflips and hawking tshirts. It was pretty great.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I believe there's a long-running series of 4e D&D X-Crawl games over on the RPGnet PbP forum. They make for pretty cool reading.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Baby steps.

This but unironically. If I can get someone to listen, understand, and agree, I do not complain about the method so long as it is peaceful. The grognards will grow old and become irrelevant (if they are not already), and by speaking out and creating a positive environment for games and gamers of all stripes we will pass a better hobby down to the next generation of players.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If only there were some way to do that in a way that helped people now. Oh well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It would be an appropriate venue for the B-Baller Dungeon World playbook to display his skill.

Dungeon Jam

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Mr. Maltose posted:

If only there were some way to do that in a way that helped people now. Oh well.

Bro, do you even Monsterhearts?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gau posted:

Bro, do you even Monsterhearts?

Constantly.

The idea that if we all just get along and play nice eventually the bad people will go away and be marginalized is not one of the playbooks there, is it Backer Only?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Constantly.

The idea that if we all just get along and play nice eventually the bad people will go away and be marginalized is not one of the playbooks there, is it Backer Only?

It's a Sex Move, so we avoid it at all costs.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
We just need to rewrite it to be about physical or emotional intimacy, then.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

We just need to rewrite it to be about physical or emotional intimacy, then.

When you're a bad enough dude to save the trad games hobby, roll +COOL...

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Error 404 posted:

When you're a bad enough dude to save the trad games hobby, roll +COOL...

On a 10+, you create awareness of problematic elements of the community and spread good ideas about respectfulness and inclusiveness. On 7-9, you're Sage LaTorra.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Evil Sagan posted:

On a 10+, you create awareness of problematic elements of the community and spread good ideas about respectfulness and inclusiveness. On 7-9, you're Sage LaTorra.

What happens on a miss? :ohdear:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Evil Sagan posted:

It's a Sex Move, so we avoid it at all costs.

The solution to all the RPG industries problems is for Role-Playing to be a PDO of Lake Geneva. If your product isn't by a local Lake Geneva Role-Playing Game consortium, you have to call it "Roleplaying-Game Style Story Game."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Davin Valkri posted:

Mike Mearles.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

zachol posted:

Mike Mearles.
Noooooooooooooooooooo.....

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah like I am all for keeping your cool as much as you can, but using the fact that many people who have been harried and harassed act harassed as a reason to not treat them as credible is ridiculous.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, the signature move rules in X-Crawl reminded me of the sub-abilities for the Tactical Feats in Complete Warrior, where you had to waste a round doing something to get a trivial bonus to a specific action during the next round, all while hoping the wizard didn't just kill your target in the meantime.

quote:

Yep, either one strikes me as a great idea.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Davin Valkri posted:

The evidence goes missing?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

neongrey posted:

Yeah like I am all for keeping your cool as much as you can, but using the fact that many people who have been harried and harassed act harassed as a reason to not treat them as credible is ridiculous.

Acting harassed and acting incredibly can appear similar to the ignorant, mea culpa

I try to learn :shobon:

Olde_fortran
Jul 16, 2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

People told Sage that people like Zak S were transphobic and he dismissed them. The fact that he is backing away from that stance is great, but claiming it's because only now has the good minorities who keep a civil tone have shown up is both wrong and hilariously privileged.

I didn't look for someone with the right tone. I looked for the person who's story had been told to me many different times with variations each time. Hearing the same story repeated with different events each time made me unsure what was really happening.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I was referring to Neonchameleon's idea that you only listened 'when people stopped throwing things' being ridiculous, not that you were hunting for proper tone.

Your dismissal of people is still a pretty big problem.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

fatherdog posted:

I've been meaning to run a 4e X-Crawl game for ages; it's a good excuse for the players to just go wild-rear end crazy with character optimization. I still haven't figured out a good overarching plot or framing mechanism for the various "games", though.

Secret Modforum 13th Age, Book It.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Olde_fortran posted:

I didn't look for someone with the right tone. I looked for the person who's story had been told to me many different times with variations each time. Hearing the same story repeated with different events each time made me unsure what was really happening.

I think it leads to hotter tempers in this case because, I mean, loving look at what ZakS proclaims proudly out in the open anyway. It's cold enough comfort that some abuser or harasser was "such a nice guy, you'd never think that…" but there's Zak just screaming over and over "the needle doesn't move, you're the real sexist, I asked my 2,000 blog followers, I put you on a list." But, whoa, hold on, "innocent until proven guilty", he didn't say the exact words "I put this specific person, whom I hate, on an Enemies List to give my explicit and full-throated encouragement that they be harassed in legally consequent ways. —signed ZakS —notarized John Tarnowski"

I mean, I like your game, and you seem like a cool dude. I hope you don't about-face or flee because of some continued scolding. (For some reason I thought you were already a goon, but I guess not?) But you seemed to know the general shape of ZakS even if you were skeptical about certain things, and you acted pretty conciliatory about acknowledging that, like you were afraid you'd hurt his feelings with the stuff you absolutely know is true. That's pretty hard to swallow.

EDIT: If you read a ZakS post, roll +:psyduck:.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 16, 2014

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

It's time, Sage. Announce the release of Dungeon World Unchained with the "Zak S is a Dogfucker" playbook or be forever consigned to the realm of RPG Shitlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Sagan posted:

It's time, Sage. Announce the release of Dungeon World Unchained with the "Zak S is a Dogfucker" playbook or be forever consigned to the realm of RPG Shitlords.

Ettin already published the Edgy Designer playbook, though.

• Locked thread