Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

OwlFancier posted:

I would argue that KSP has always had shedloads of gameplay, what this update introduces is more challenge.

Or rather, more enforced challenge, as you can always set your own.

Wait. If KSP didn't have gameplay until now.. What have I been doing all this time? :confused:

Megadyptes posted:

it does seem that they do take a really long-rear end time to do anything though, the game has been in development for over 3.5 years now.

That's why I asked how long Squad could keep this up, because they've been at it for a while. But apparently they're doing amazingly well, so my fears of Squad going "welp, we've run out of budget. Time for DLC / go bankrupt" have been thrown out of the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

http://imgur.com/a/HFOym

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't mind long development cycles due to small teams and such if it means we get more games like KSP, there are a lot of games using the EA model that you just wouldn't get if you had to rely on conventional publishing.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014
[quote="Iceshade" post="432285085"]
Wait. If KSP didn't have gameplay until now.. What have I been doing all this time? :confused:

You were doing science! :)

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Megadyptes posted:

it does seem that they do take a really long-rear end time to do anything though, the game has been in development for over 3.5 years now.

This is a giant misnomer. If you want a good example of this being a literal case, look here

Flying to the moon is hard. Understanding the maths is even harder. Building a reliable computer model of flying to the moon and beyond is harder. making it fun and extremely customizable is amazing that they've gotten this far.

re: unity bugs, using any game engine will have its own caveats. From someone who is helping write a 3D engine, it takes a very long time to get a reliable graphics / application core for anything reaching the sort of complexity KSP is fast approaching.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I'm not a computer wizard, will KSP get prettier or not

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Roki B posted:

You could install more pretty texture packs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roki B posted:

KSP does get prettier all the time, there's lots of mods come out to rehaul most of the graphical aspects and with the 64 bit version, I would expect there to be some high res texture packs and more graphical enhancements.

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

Megadyptes posted:

Still got that new-game smell

For long dev there's always http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_Fortress

Wikipedia posted:

Work began in 2002, the first alpha was released in August 2006, and development is ongoing. In July 2011, Tarn Adams declared the game his life's work and said he expects another 20 years before it will be complete

New version of Dwarf Fortress out last week I think, I'm waiting for the lazy newb pack though. Because I'm lazy. And the other thing :eng99:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Warbird posted:

This one?

Or this one?

Thanks to you both! I was showing a coworker the silly awesome things you can do with KSP, and this is one of the things I wanted to show them.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Megadyptes posted:

It takes a long-rear end time to make a game. IIRC Modern Warfare 3 - i.e. the 3rd (or 6th, depending on how you measure it) instalment in an extremely linear series of sequels with a very limited amount of engine changes between them took about 2 years and that game had a small army of people working on it. Not only that but they all pretty much made the same game before - everyone knew what they were building, what the scope was, what the possible obstacles would be. Not just the developers but also their managers, testers, art teams etc etc etc. Still 2 years.

Roki B posted:

Sure why not. It's pretty much just a matter of what Unity can do and how much detail people care to put into the art. The answer to both of those question is "quite a bit".

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

New version of Dwarf Fortress out last week I think, I'm waiting for the lazy newb pack though. Because I'm lazy. And the other thing :eng99:

The DF starter pack guys have been pretty fast about getting it updated lately. I'm fairly sure that they have a version for DF2014 if not the more recent bugfix patches. I'd still recommend sticking with DF2012 for another few weeks while they get things ironed out.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bentai posted:

Thanks to you both! I was showing a coworker the silly awesome things you can do with KSP, and this is one of the things I wanted to show them.

Don't stop there, load up this craft file and let him fly it. Such things must be preserved as our cultural heritage.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I don't remember any mention of saves breaking, but just saw this in the .24 FAQ.

quote:

Will the update break my saves?
Ted: I’ve tested 0.23.5 saves here and they’ve upgraded fine. However, please do note that they were stock saves, modded saves might behave differently. Furthermore, because of the way contracts are implemented, they’re appropriately generated for an existing save so the upgrade should be seamless.

Harv: Keep in mind, however, that due to a small bug in the progress tracking system in 0.23.5, it’s possible that some contract offers on those saves may not reflect your actual progression (offers being more advanced than your achievements would warrant). This has been fixed on 0.24 and should not happen on new saves. It should only be noticeable on saves where very little progress has been made (as in not even reaching orbit).

Looks like you won't have to grind science again if you've got a save where you've already unlocked the tech tree, unless that's undergone a massive overhaul too.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ratzap posted:

Don't stop there, load up this craft file and let him fly it. Such things must be preserved as our cultural heritage.

Um

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

A new build was just pushed to the "Q&A and Staging Area" depo on Steam. Potentially a release candidate build!

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zaran posted:

A new build was just pushed to the "Q&A and Staging Area" depo on Steam. Potentially a release candidate build!

Any word on launch weather? Hope the lightning clears up...

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

I hear there is some kind of hype train that is within the range safety no-train area. Working on getting the train to crash.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zaran posted:

I hear there is some kind of hype train that is within the range safety no-train area. Working on getting the train to crash.

Any Russian SIGINT botes?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I'm packing and preparing for a move, and just came across my Soviet Space Pin collection, thought some of you might be interested, I can take detailed pictures of the whole set if people want.

A different Apollo mission so the 45th anniversary isn't relevant but I decided to take a picture of the Apollo one anyhow. Here's the one for the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project. The Russian name for the mission on the pin is something closer to Cosmic Flight of Soyuz-Apollo.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ah poop, I'll need to fix it again unless someone has a working version.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Not today. :(

@Maxmaps: Outlook far brighter yet in dismay all I can say is not today.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Whelp, had two days off to play the update, stocked up on supplies, and work week starts tomorrow. :suicide:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Zaran posted:

Not today. :(

@Maxmaps: Outlook far brighter yet in dismay all I can say is not today.

What do we say to death .24? Not today.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Arsonide posted:

Whelp, had two days off to play the update, stocked up on supplies, and work week starts tomorrow. :suicide:

Oh dear, no hard feelings eh? ;)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So, if I want to clear all the mods out, I want to delete all the gamedata\ directories except 'squad' and 'nasamission'?

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Episode 10! http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com :jeb:

Biff hits a milestone
.24 FAQ
Europa Report
A contest

We were wondering about length of the cast. We have ranged from a 30min show to 1.5hrs. What time length is you limit and what do you consider optimal?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Maxamps, now that .24 will have rewards for part recovery it's high time that the method that deletes on-rail objects in the atmosphere gets an upgrade to look for parachute/mass ratios and automatically recover those objects that are likely to land safely. Get it in for .25!

ThaShaneTrain posted:

We were wondering about length of the cast. We have ranged from a 30min show to 1.5hrs. What time length is you limit and what do you consider optimal?

I honestly have no idea how long your podcasts are, I listen to them while playing KSP and those sessions are almost always longer than your podcast anyway.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think unless you really need to go long, a podcast that's kept on a steady roll shouldn't exceed 45min-1hr in length.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So is there a setting or something to toggle on so we can see the entire tech tree while its locked? Just so I know where New_Mod_Item happens to be in the tree and to set goals?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Megadyptes posted:

I'm surprised it hasn't taken them longer. At least "Harvester" or whomever the main programmer is has done some pretty brilliant programming to get something like this out with a small team. There's a reason you don't see any clones coming out of KSP.

Consistent progress and good communication from the developers for 3.5 years is better than most developers. I think they are a great example of what an early access game should be like.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

nimper posted:

I wonder: Will sandbox mode still let you generate contracts? Could be a fun way of adding direction to the game without the tedium of grinding science.
To be honest, if you're doing some of the contracts we've seen so far, you'll be pulling down more than enough science to buy some tech.

Well, assuming the science system hasn't been rebalanced. I guess there's also part cost to consider too.

I'm really hoping that there's some way to make discarded parts retrievable in the future - like triggering chutes attached to discarded tanks that are on a return trajectory to Kerbin means that when they hit the atmosphere, they're considered landed and recoverable, rather than assumed destroyed - assuming that they have enough chutes to slow weight of the component down.

That can't be too hard to calculate, right?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm surprised it hasn't taken them longer. At least "Harvester" or whomever the main programmer is has done some pretty brilliant programming to get something like this out with a small team. There's a reason you don't see any clones coming out of KSP.

The main response we get from the experienced devs we have talked to as well as proper AAA studios to us explaining the scope and planning behind our project is stunned disbelief that someone greenlit the idea and then the reaction intensifies when we explain we got 7 devs.

Edit: And that it's our very first game.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 17, 2014

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Also; most early access games are not playable and fun through multiple years of their development.

I'm sure Squad could make a completed product faster if they didn't bother bringing each release up to a playable state for us suckers.

Also; don't change that, I don't know what I'd do without my semi-regular new version return to KSP.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

TerminalBlue posted:

Also; most early access games are not playable and fun through multiple years of their development.

I'm sure Squad could make a completed product faster if they didn't bother bringing each release up to a playable state for us suckers.

Also; don't change that, I don't know what I'd do without my semi-regular new version return to KSP.
Agreed there; KSP convinced me to pay for other Early Access games on Steam. Half of them weren't even worth it, and some remain virtually unplayable to this day as devs lost interest.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I actually skipped 0.23.5 'cos of time constraints and burnout, but seeing that 0.24 has a fleshed out career mode with firm, directed goals makes me giddy. I tend to have much more fun with themeparks than sandboxes, as I've mentioned before. :shobon:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

TerminalBlue posted:

That's effectively it. Early access is uncharted waters for every studio out there so I can't just say 'clearly our way is superior'. The way we see it, every release must be treated like it's the final one.

Edit: We're also painfully aware that we seem to be an exception and that Early Access has pretty much become a curseword in gamerese.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I tried playing my old download of 0.7.3 again recently and I don't know how much I can emphasize how much this game has progressed in three years. It's amazing to go through the whole iterated feature process.

Though it has lost a slight bit of the slapstick. Pre-symmetry rocket design had some funny (but extremely frustrating) results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJM-j8PLW-c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Rohaq posted:

I'm really hoping that there's some way to make discarded parts retrievable in the future - like triggering chutes attached to discarded tanks that are on a return trajectory to Kerbin means that when they hit the atmosphere, they're considered landed and recoverable, rather than assumed destroyed - assuming that they have enough chutes to slow weight of the component down.

That can't be too hard to calculate, right?

If this happens, the recovery percent should be way lower for it than currently. A 95%+ return just for slapping a few parachutes on boosters would eliminate the usefulness of SSTOs we finally just got. 20% for a simulated ocean splashdown on parachutes would be plenty.

Really, ocean recoveries should have significantly lower recovery percent than they currently are in general. Even if it's close to KSC, salt water's a hell of a thing to immerse your rocket parts in...

• Locked thread