Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I mean Bendis is pretty good about equal rights and progressive thinking for a superhero writer and all, but aside from Luke Cage what has he really done to bring minority representation to the fore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I mean Bendis is pretty good about equal rights and progressive thinking for a superhero writer and all, but aside from Luke Cage what has he really done to bring minority representation to the fore?

Miles counts technically I guess.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh of course! Yeah Miles totally counts, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth was pretty sweet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mind the walrus posted:

Oh of course! Yeah Miles totally counts, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth was pretty sweet.

Yeah I just wasn't sure if you were just basing it off the 616 or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

Especially when he was rumored to be gay as well. Holy crap was that delicious.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

mind the walrus posted:

Miles Morales and Cage are the big ones that come to mind, but he really tried to push Maya Lopez, too, for what it's worth. I think Dr. Voodoo also became Sorcerer Supreme under his watch, but I don't really know how much that was ever intended to stick, and he never really did much with the character anyway.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
There is nothing sweeter than the cries of "SJW!" Whenever something even remotely progressive happens. There was some of that today. Delicious.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Archyduke posted:

Miles Morales and Cage are the big ones that come to mind, but he really tried to push Maya Lopez, too, for what it's worth. I think Dr. Voodoo also became Sorcerer Supreme under his watch, but I don't really know how much that was ever intended to stick, and he never really did much with the character anyway.

How did he try to push Maya outside of her being Ronin in the early issues of New Avengers? Not saying that like I doubt you, I genuinely don't know.

Unmature posted:

There is nothing sweeter than the cries of "SJW!" Whenever something even remotely progressive happens. There was some of that today. Delicious.

I know right?

:hfive:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

mind the walrus posted:

How did he try to push Maya outside of her being Ronin in the early issues of New Avengers? Not saying that like I doubt you, I genuinely don't know.

I know right?

:hfive:

He brought her back in his run on Moon Knight. I thought it was actually a pretty effective reintroduction-- without the big ensemble cast of New Avengers, there was a lot more room for her to develop, and she had a nice rapport with the rest of the supporting cast. Unfortunately, it was a pretty short run, and while her death towards the end of it kind of felt like a fake-out, I think nobody's thought to bring her back.

I hope I didn't make it sound like I meant "pushing her" as if it was unwelcome or forced-- I thought Echo was a pretty cool character, and I was happy that she didn't just fade into obscurity after David Mack left Daredevil.

Edit: I forgot she showed up again in "Daredevil: End of Days," too.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 16, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Archyduke posted:

I hope I didn't make it sound like I meant "pushing her" as if it was unwelcome or forced-- I thought Echo was a pretty cool character, and I was happy that she didn't just fade into obscurity after David Mack left Daredevil.

You totally didn't. I was a big fan of that storyarc in Daredevil too so I was really happy to see Bendis pushing her, although even at the time I thought "the fans are never going to take to her." Which is weird because there's really nothing objectively wrong with her character or premise--hell she makes a lot more sense than Daredevil.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduke posted:

That's essentially how I feel. In 20 years, I think people will look back at Bendis' time at Marvel and think of opening up the basic Avengers concept, revitalizing a bunch of neglected characters, and orchestrating that long metaplot from Disassembled to Siege. His worst moments are basically just fumbles-- the last couple years of his Avengers, some of his pacing on X-Men, Age of Ultron, etc. It's just forgettable. Overall, he's opened up a lot more storytelling avenues for other writers than he's closed off, and I think that's nothing to scoff at.

I wonder how Johns will be remembered by comparison?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I see a similar comparison with Bendis' joining X-Men as Slott on Spider-Man. He's made some awful comics, and the status quo he's introduced has been dumb as poo poo at times, but there have been some pretty good stuff spinning out of it and in the hands of other writers it's been a lot better.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

I wonder how Johns will be remembered by comparison?

The Aquaman writer who got kicked out of a supermarket for taking pictures of cereal.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Genetic Toaster posted:

The Aquaman writer who got kicked out of a supermarket for taking pictures of cereal.

What?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

https://storify.com/robbercat/geoff-johns-cereal-adventure

That's actually really funny. I love the unfinished "The manager is" tweet.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

https://storify.com/robbercat/geoff-johns-cereal-adventure

That's actually really funny. I love the unfinished "The manager is" tweet.

That was way less interesting than I expected. Typical Johns.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So today we learned the secret of Xavier's Will is something that will be found out next issue!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

So today we learned the secret of Xavier's Will is something that will be found out next issue!

This is probably an 8 issue arc.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

"I've got Xavier's will here."
"Xavier's will?"
"Yeah."
"Is he dead? I didn't think Xavier was dead."
"Sure he's dead, he was killed by the Phoenix Five."
"Xavier? Wow... Wait, Phoenix Five? I thought there was just one of them."
"You don't remember the Phoenix Five? When they killed Xavier?"
"Phoenix Five? Killed Xavier? Wow."

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

irlZaphod posted:

"Xavier's will?"
"Yeah."

It's like the worst episode of Speed Racer ever.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
The Xavier's Will thing is clearly related to the bookend bits with the dude who is maybe Xavier's son, come on.

I'm guessing maybe Mystique shapeshifted into his wife and that's where the Xavier Grandson from the Future Brotherhood came from.

There were more than enough clues in that issue; of course he wasn't gonna just put the will right there. And a bunch happened.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

"Xavier's will?"
"Yeah."

I liked it when this poo poo was probatable.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

You can't probate the truth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Xavier was killed by the Phoenix One, the third Phoenix.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm now utterly convinced of the idea that the point of this Magneto book is to document his journey back to megalomaniac villainy on a road of good intentions, and I love it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Hanging out with Cyclops gave Mags the necessary self-esteem to go into terrorism again. Getting his powers taken away and begging for it from Celestials has to be some humbling poo poo, and having the protege of your ideological opposite say, "Hey, you had the better idea," has to undo that quite a bit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Hanging out with Cyclops gave Mags the necessary self-esteem to go into terrorism again. Getting his powers taken away and begging for it from Celestials has to be some humbling poo poo, and having the protege of your ideological opposite say, "Hey, you had the better idea," has to undo that quite a bit.

I assume that Axis is going to be him going full scale into evil. I also assume that it might be the end of the schism and maybe Uncanny Avengers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

I assume that Axis is going to be him going full scale into evil. I also assume that it might be the end of the schism and maybe Uncanny Avengers.

I will be interested in how exactly they are going to end the schism. Because for the most part nothing really happened during it. Relating to the schism itself, I mean.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I will be interested in how exactly they are going to end the schism. Because for the most part nothing really happened during it. Relating to the schism itself, I mean.

Wolverine dies Cyclops cries.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Why do people think that Holocaust Survivor Magneto, is going to go evil during AXIS and join up with NAZI Red Skull Onslaught?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I hope Axis ends with Magneto throwing Red Skull in a basement again.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jiro posted:

Why do people think that Holocaust Survivor Magneto, is going to go evil during AXIS and join up with NAZI Red Skull Onslaught?

It seems that he does fight him but there is also this

quote:

AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #2 (OF 9)
RICK REMENDER (W) • ADAM KUBERT (A)
Cover by JIM CHEUNG
YOUNG GUNS VARIANT COVER BY MAHMUD ASRAR
INVERSION VARIANT COVER BY TBA
ACT I: THE RED SUPREMACY
• The heroes of the Marvel Universe storm the beaches of Red Skull’s Genoshian Reeducation camps. What they discover within will lead to a bleak new era.
• The revelation of Tony Stark’s dark secret promises to shatter the fragile alliance between A and X.
• The all-new Captain America pays a terrible price.
• Nova’s attempt at solving the crisis leads to disaster.
• Magneto betrays his alliance to join an army of evil

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jiro posted:

I could see a whole "Magneto loses his way, becomes what he hates" schtick, only done right this time. The slow erosion of his principles over the course of his solo series leading up to it, a detailed travelogue of his moral compromises and failings, would make for far better justification than "Magneto huffs some drugs and now he's a Nazi!".

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Man, this week's Uncanny X-Men was a big fat load of nothing. Aside from the fact that the hyped-up "groundshaking revelation" doesn't even appear in the issue, that scene of Dazzler turning into a 90's goth chick was so laughably bad. I can practically imagine the nu-metal playing in the background.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just also want to warn people that the "100th Anniversary" issue of X-Men is something every can pass on. I was hoping it was going to be this wacky tongue-in-cheek thing, but it was a pretty boring story. I don't know any of these characters, but I don't know if it's because it's set 50 years into the future, or if it's just because I stopped reading the main X-Books when Bendis took them over. But the story was unsatisfying, and the art wasn't great either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IUG posted:

I just also want to warn people that the "100th Anniversary" issue of X-Men is something every can pass on. I was hoping it was going to be this wacky tongue-in-cheek thing, but it was a pretty boring story. I don't know any of these characters, but I don't know if it's because it's set 50 years into the future, or if it's just because I stopped reading the main X-Books when Bendis took them over. But the story was unsatisfying, and the art wasn't great either.

Every single 100th so far has been entirely skippable.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Every single 100th so far has been entirely skippable.

That's just because Stokoe's hasn't come out yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

That's just because Stokoe's hasn't come out yet.

I believe I did say "so far" my friend.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I was only going to get the Avengers and X-Men one, and I think only the Fantastic Four one has come out so far? I don't care about the F4 at all, so that one wasn't even on my radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IUG posted:

I actually deleted it and redownloaded it because I assumed that there were pages that I somehow lost; that's how flat the ending was.

• Locked thread