Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amergin posted:

I'm tired and y'all motherfuckers are talking about Yellowstone supervolcanoes and ash. How the hell do I find an opening in that?

I'm worried. At some point, I'm afraid you'll go over the top and start screaming about RAHOWA to see if you can piss anyone off.

(Also, a real Republican would find a way to blame Yellowstone supervolcanoes on Obama, just sayin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Randalor posted:

But seriously, there are early warning systems and plans in place to minimize the damage just in case, right? ...Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhekpgTNZ0Y

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Alter Ego posted:

(Also, a real Republican would find a way to blame Yellowstone supervolcanoes on Obama, just sayin)

You rang?
_____\

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

quote:

But now, almost two months later, we know that in fact the IRS targeted lots of different kinds of groups, not just conservative ones; that the only organizations whose tax-exempt statuses were actually denied were progressive ones; that many of the targeted conservative groups legitimately crossed the line; that the IG’s report was limited to only Tea Party groups at congressional Republicans’ request; and that the White House was in no way involved in the targeting and didn’t even know about it until shortly before the public did.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nybble posted:

You rang?
_____\

The dumbest thing about Bobby Jindal is he just got done proclaiming that the GOP can't be the "stupid party" anymore.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If you keep saying it was obviously specifically targeted at batshit anti-tax WASPS then it becomes true.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

And that's a wet firecracker compared to a Yellowstone caldera eruption. Pinatubo sent up ~8.4-10.4 km^3 of ejecta while Yellowstone's last eruption sent up approximately 1000 km^3.

For comparison sake, the Toba eruption that occurred 77,000 years ago was estimated at putting out 2-3000 km^3 of ejecta and that only took the population of humanity from around 1m to between 3,000-10,000, so 99% of the total human population died off. Taking that into consideration best case for a Yellowstone eruption is still really, really loving bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bet we can come up with some better solutions than some loving and literal cavemen.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chris McDaniel's lawyer Mitch Tyner is giving a press conference and said that, "The Cochran campaign, through race-baiting, took us back 50 years." Then he said that votes from black Democrats, "diluted the REAL vote".

Coincidentally, today is the 50th anniversary of the day that 111 SNCC volunteers were arrested in Greenwood, Mississippi when they tried to register to vote.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

The IRS targeted multiple groups but not to the same extent, they didn't need to deny tax-exempt status to actively harm the groups (delays instead of denies), Issa wanted to focus on the actual problem, and I didn't say anything about Obama.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

I bet we can come up with some better solutions than some loving and literal cavemen.

Unfortunately the live specimens of homo habilis in the house won't let those better solutions pass.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

No, but I am with her right now and she would like you to keep it down. :pervert:

In unrelated news, everyone's favorite sneering lich has decided to keep staining TV screens across the country, and claims that while Iraq was apparently in perfect shape when W left office and Obama is like 100% to blame for everything ever it falling apart since we didn't leave enough troops in to enforce Pax Americana or whatever the gently caress, impeaching him would be a bad idea.

Cheney the Deathless posted:

I'm glad to see the House Republicans are challenging him at least legally at this point. But I think that gets to be a bit of a distraction just like the impeachment of Bill Clinton did

That lawsuit sure seems like a good idea, though!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In unrelated news, everyone's favorite sneering lich has decided to keep staining TV screens across the country, and claims that while Iraq was apparently in perfect shape when W left office and Obama is like 100% to blame for everything ever it falling apart since we didn't leave enough troops in to enforce Pax Americana or whatever the gently caress, impeaching him would be a bad idea.
Penetrating analysis.

quote:

Both Obama and Carter are Democrats, while Cheney is a conservative Republican who served two terms under George W. Bush.
VVV Yeah not aimed at you to be clear, just CNN being CNN.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 16, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

pangstrom posted:

Penetrating analysis.

Well yeah, CNN is hardly known for its investigative rigor nor analytic ability. :wow:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wouldn't that pretty much solve global warming issues for a good long while, though?

It'd solve global warming all right, it'd also solve whatever problems you have with unwanted weeds growing in your lawn.

It would solve these by lowering the amount of solar heating so much that it'd massively disrupt long-term weather patterns likely for a generation. Tambora caused what's called the "Year without a summer" with less than 20% of the estimated ejecta of Yellowstone's last eruption, resulting in the biggest famine of the 19th century due to crop failures and livestock die-offs worldwide. Peripheral problems of lovely nutrition would of course go on top of that.

So yeah it'd solve global warming by eliminating summer for a while. Probably spring too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good. gently caress the sun.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

zoux posted:

Good. gently caress the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=374xW4zZbZA

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

I had no idea Eartha Kitt was Yzma. :aaa:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

All of California's big water sources in the Sierra Nevada, and the major rivers in the Central Valley look like they'd get cluttered with ash; what would the water situation here be?

Filtered with activated charcoal, geez.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tigntink posted:

Yellowstone would kill most of the western US in the initial first few days of eruption and then the entire world would experience famine due to lack of sun for quite some time. However it wouldn't wipe out the human race. We're hardy folks. It would be worse than Krakatoa was but it isn't a species ender.

Maybe you have one of those pallets of survival food from Costco but in general, humanity can't survive for a few years off of what it has on hand and the shortages would cause riots pretty much worldwide because food costs would be through the loving roof.

The effects on the climate from that much ash would likely last longer than a few years and it would cause global changes. Look at the issues eyjafjallajokull caused for Europe a few years back(or how pictures of Iceland looked like they were from Fallout due to all the ash), and that wouldn't even be a wet fart compared to Yellowstone.

Alternately: Everyone's massively wrong about Yellowstone and it'd 'only' cause massive multi-trillion dollar damage to the US and widespead starvation for a couple years, but not be an extinction-level event. Either way that much ash would turn a lot of surface water poisonous among other fun effects that an inch or so of poo poo covering everything would do. Hope your house has some major industrial-grade air filtering systems. Lakes Michigan and Superior might not suffer massive dying out due to water toxicity though.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The grain lands are good deal farther away from Yellowstone.

Most of our grain lands are located in areas projected to get no more than 6 centimeters of ash in case of Yellowstone erupting:

Having 'only' 1-6 centimeters of ash (which is still loving insane) cover your crops might not ruin the yield, but the sudden onset of an early winter will when the ash in the air causes temperatures to drop. Mount Tambora helped cause the Year Without a Summer and Yellowstone would be several times more damaging at the least. Hope you enjoy what'll be at least a several degree Celsius drop in temperature. Going by Tambora, it could easily be 10 degrees or more, taking years to return to normal. I'm sure humanity can survive a few years without being able to grow much outside of greenhouses.

Yellowstone erupting means that you're not growing anything in the US, or most other places that year, and probably the year or two following it. To say nothing of the mass-extinction it'd cause in other animals and the ecological disruptions that would result.

On the bright side, anyone who did survive would eventually have some insanely good farmland to use. There wouldn't be a whole lot of people to feed, mind you, but the land would be there and in prime condition.

Yellowstone is more interesting than Amergin :spergin: as well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alter Ego posted:

Most likely by saying that oil drilling in Yellowstone would have somehow relieved pressure in the caldera and thus prevented a natural disaster.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Star Man posted:

Most likely by saying that oil drilling in Yellowstone would have somehow relieved pressure in the caldera and thus prevented a natural disaster.

We could just keep ourselves warm in this apocalyptic winter with good, old whale oil but nnnnnnoooooo…

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nintendo Kid posted:

It really wouldn't, unless you're just speaking in terms of land area. Salt Lake City and Denver would be hosed pretty well but all the other large urban areas of the west are out of the most heavily affected zones in current models, and the same goes for pretty much most of the country east of the Mississippi or so.

The looting and the murdering when the power goes out from all of our dams being overwhelmed by the ash is what's gonnna kill us all :getin:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Amergin posted:

The IRS targeted multiple groups but not to the same extent, they didn't need to deny tax-exempt status to actively harm the groups (delays instead of denies), Issa wanted to focus on the actual problem, and I didn't say anything about Obama.

I know that you're trolling, and I enjoy it. It's refreshing to read actual counter arguments and their responses where normally this is usually everyone agreeing on the basic premises (if not the details.)

Still, and since you have yourself admitted that you're playing devil's advocate (with great skill, I might add), I'd love to know what your own, actual, political ideas are and what you hope to gain by trolling this forum. Don't get me wrong, please continue. I think it's healthy to get some genuine opposition (as opposed to characters like Emden who are either a gimmick at best, or too stupid to take seriously) and I genuinely enjoy your posting even though I usually strongly disagree and it's more of a mental exercise.

Maybe it's come up before and someone asked you to lift the veil a bit, but these threads are big, move fast, and I'm sorry to say that I don't have the time read back hundreds of posts.

quickedit:
If you don't want to break character or whatever, that's fine too. It's just something of interest to me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Star Man posted:

That's defiantly one possibility, the other though is that the drilling company takes a bunch of shortcuts or doesn't survey things properly and they drill a hole from an underground river into the caldera and you get the ice cube in the deep fryer effect over a few square miles.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Joementum posted:

One of the candidates for Governor of Wyoming has some interesting ideas.

This is not the craziest proposal for Yellowstone to come out of Wyoming politics. The legislature at one point proposed parking an aircraft carrier in Lake Yellowstone, you know, to keep Montana from getting any big ideas.

Parking capital ships in ponds was a powerful tactic in Red Alert.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There's a new Egyptian Caucus in the House. Let's go live to their press conference....

Oh, it's Steve Stockman, Louie Gohmert, Loretta Sanchez, and Dana Rohrabacher. So Egypt's basically hosed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Huh, I didn't know those guys were Egyptian.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What a hodgepodge of some of the most vile people in America on a single stage, brilliant!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Joementum posted:

There's a new Egyptian Caucus in the House. Let's go live to their press conference....

Oh, it's Steve Stockman, Louie Gohmert, Loretta Sanchez, and Dana Rohrabacher. So Egypt's basically hosed.

Even in a photo op they have to shove the woman to the side.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Taeke posted:

... Still, and since you have yourself admitted that you're playing devil's advocate (with great skill, I might add), I'd love to know what your own, actual, political ideas are and what you hope to gain by trolling this forum. ...

I play devil's advocate in this forum and other forums/comments sections (commonly subreddits or news sites such as WSJ and The Economist) against both liberals and conservatives for a few reasons.
For one, it's fun. But more than that, I find it very educational not only in the sense of politics and context, but also in the way people debate, what pushes their buttons, and what they focus on/highlight/exclude from their arguments. I'm interested not only in the politics but also the psychology.

I think of it similar to this Derren Brown act. I'm playing chess against liberals and conservatives, but really they're playing chess against each other while I learn about the game of chess, how to play chess, and the patterns in how liberals and conservatives tend to play chess.

As for my personal political leanings, I'd vote for Elizabeth Warren for president.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Amergin posted:

I play devil's advocate in this forum and other forums/comments sections (commonly subreddits or news sites such as WSJ and The Economist) against both liberals and conservatives for a few reasons.
For one, it's fun. But more than that, I find it very educational not only in the sense of politics and context, but also in the way people debate, what pushes their buttons, and what they focus on/highlight/exclude from their arguments. I'm interested not only in the politics but also the psychology.

I think of it similar to this Derren Brown act. I'm playing chess against liberals and conservatives, but really they're playing chess against each other while I learn about the game of chess, how to play chess, and the patterns in how liberals and conservatives tend to play chess.

As for my personal political leanings, I'd vote for Elizabeth Warren for president.

What have you learned so far?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Amergin posted:

Well hello, Every Voter! Nice to meet you!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Amergin posted:

wow u r so unique

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Going to cross post this:
The GOP Straw poll is out. Any surprises? How many of these do you think will actually run?

http://www.gop.com/act/presidential...&20140715141342

PS: You can write in a canidate

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cool story Hansel.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I want them to run Ted Cruz, to the point that they effectively run nobody because the entire election cycle is caught up in a legal battle over the natural born citizen clause well after the election is over.

Wait, his mother is USian. This is literally something I never hear when everyone talks about him "being Canadian."

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 16, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
No Mitt Romney option....

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

PS: You can write in a candidate

I tried to resist "Weedlord Bonerhitler". I really did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CaptainCarrot posted:

I tried to resist "Weedlord Bonerhitler". I really did.

I didn't try.

• Locked thread