Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

ChaosArgate posted:

The 3DS isn't powerful enough to handle a GBA emulator that Nintendo would approve of. Sure, it can play GBA games, but those are run in DS mode running GBA mode or something like that. They're playable, but that's about it; you wouldn't get suspend points or even sleep mode.

Something that bothers me every time this discussion comes up is the mention of suspend points. I can see the value in games where there's no save feature, but if the game has a built in save feature, it seems extraneous to me. Do people in this thread really use them so often? Is it just in specific games?

Sleep mode totally makes sense to me, for the record. Just being able to play the game + sleep mode is all I need, Nintendo! Clear the way for me to someday buy FF5 GBA on my 3DS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The only two games I don't own out of all of those rewards are that Mario & Donkey Kong game and Fluidity. I'm guessing the former is a lot better than the latter?

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006
As usual, Club Nintendo site is getting hammered and dying. So, be patient, I guess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fromagex posted:

As usual, Club Nintendo site is getting hammered and dying. So, be patient, I guess.

YMMV bus it seems to be working fine now, got my Game and Wario code with only slightly-longer-than-normal load time on the site.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Something that bothers me every time this discussion comes up is the mention of suspend points. I can see the value in games where there's no save feature, but if the game has a built in save feature, it seems extraneous to me. Do people in this thread really use them so often? Is it just in specific games?

Sleep mode totally makes sense to me, for the record. Just being able to play the game + sleep mode is all I need, Nintendo! Clear the way for me to someday buy FF5 GBA on my 3DS!

Yeah, these are definitely my thoughts as well, but I figured nobody cares about my thoughts.

And still, even if sleep mode is kinda great, having none wouldn't stop me from buying GBA games, were they available. But no savestates is absolutely not a thing (if the game's own saving system works).

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Cool, DK Tropical Freeze got me in the mood for DKC, so I'm glad I get an excuse to replay DKCR without the awful Wiimote controls.
Was there a performance dip in the 3DS version? I remember hearing something about it during its release.

This leaves me in a toss up between Earthbound and DKCR 3D. My WiiU has been getting a lot of love as of late, but I haven't played either game before.

E: Thanks for pointing out the price difference. I also wasn't aware of the potential sale. Thank yous for the heads up!

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Mitsune fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 16, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mitsune posted:

This leaves me in a toss up between Earthbound and DKCR 3D. My WiiU has been getting a lot of love as of late, but I haven't played either game before.

DKCR 3D is like a $30 game and Earthbound is a $10 one, if that makes a difference for you.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Plus there Earthbound MIGHT get a sale tomorrow while DKCR:3DS very rarely goes below $25.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Earthbound might also be going on sale tomorrow for the 25th anniversary of Mother. It did in Europe, at least.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mitsune posted:

Was there a performance dip in the 3DS version? I remember hearing something about it during its release.

The 3DS version is 30fps as opposed to the Wii's 60.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Phantasium posted:

The 3DS version is 30fps as opposed to the Wii's 60.

While it sucks to have a lower FPS, I am just glad that I don't have to waggle the controller to play. By the time DKCR came out, I just completely done with using waggle control for a 2D platformer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think my disappointment with the rewards selection is less about "no physical trinkets" and more of "no exclusive goodies". Even if the Majora's Mask OST had been a digital download, it still would have been exclusive to Club Nintendo. This is just "hey free games". Which is cool and I'm not complaining too hard, but it was nice getting something unique in past years.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I made Platinum this year, but I'm not really interested in any of the reward games. If anybody wants to trade a Pikmin 3 download code (from the MK8 promotion) for one of the Platinum reward games, hit me up on PM.

Just for completeness' sake, here are the 2014 Gold and Platinum rewards from Club Nintendo, I can offer any single game from this list.

quote:

Platinum Only:

Game and Wario – Wii U
NES Remix – Wii U
Earthbound – Wii U
Dr. Luigi – Wii U
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – 3DS
Fluidity: Spin Cycle – 3DS
Dillon’s Rolling Western – 3DS
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move – 3DS

Platinum and Gold:

Ice Climber – Wii U
Kid Icarus – Wii U
Super Mario Bros. – Wii U
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link – Wii U
Donkey Kong 3 – 3DS
Wario Land 2 – 3DS
Metroid – 3DS
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins – 3DS

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 16, 2014

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

how good is nes remix? I'm kind of torn between that and DKCR, but I already have that on the wii. but it would be kind of cool to have a portable version of it. someone make a decision for me please

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

romanowski posted:

how good is nes remix? I'm kind of torn between that and DKCR, but I already have that on the wii. but it would be kind of cool to have a portable version of it. someone make a decision for me please

Apparently NES Remix 1 has a bunch of boring NES sports games you have to trudge through and the sequel is leagues better.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

NES Remix is tons of fun. The sequel has some better games, but the original is still great.

Super hard though.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Gandalf21 posted:

NES Remix is tons of fun. The sequel has some better games, but the original is still great.

Super hard though.

Yes, the original is much harder than the sequel.

As for the boring Sports games. Only Golf gets its own category with multiple challenges, of which it only has 7. Baseball, Tennis and Urban Champion are relegated to Bonus stages.

But you still have to suffer through Clu Clu Land, Mario Bros., Ice Climber, and Wrecking Crew and do them PERFECTLY if you want those fancy rainbow stars.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

jivjov posted:

I think my disappointment with the rewards selection is less about "no physical trinkets" and more of "no exclusive goodies". Even if the Majora's Mask OST had been a digital download, it still would have been exclusive to Club Nintendo. This is just "hey free games". Which is cool and I'm not complaining too hard, but it was nice getting something unique in past years.

I want Doc Louis's Punch-Out 2. I chose the first over the Mario hat during that first year of Club Nintendo. No regrets. Doc rules.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RMZXAnarchy posted:

if you want those fancy rainbow stars.

Here lies madness, don't do this. Content yourself with just 3 stars, trust me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mercury Crusader posted:

I want Doc Louis's Punch-Out 2. I chose the first over the Mario hat during that first year of Club Nintendo. No regrets. Doc rules.

Yeah, I regret missing out on that one, quite a bit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Apparently NES Remix 1 has a bunch of boring NES sports games you have to trudge through and the sequel is leagues better.

The first one had better challenges since most of the games were simple, arcade inspired titles. The sequel had the more popular games, but worse challenges to play.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

But you still have to suffer through Clu Clu Land, Mario Bros., Ice Climber, and Wrecking Crew and do them PERFECTLY if you want those fancy rainbow stars.

Only one of those is actually a pain to play. :colbert:

And it's not like the rainbow stars are hard to get.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

univbee posted:

Here lies madness, don't do this. Content yourself with just 3 stars, trust me.

Nonsense, its plenty doable.
NES Remix 2 its even easier.

Random Stranger posted:

Only one of those is actually a pain to play. :colbert:

And it's not like the rainbow stars are hard to get.

Bullshit.

Ice Climber and Mario Bros both have awkward jumping mechanics that frequently end in you missing a jump or hitting the wall.
CluClu Land has the goofy arm mechanics that tend to work well in theory but not in execution.
Wrecking Crew... its easy enough to play, its just not fun for Rainbow Stars.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 16, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Nonsense, its plenty doable.
NES Remix 2 its even easier.

I never said it wasn't doable. You will get ragey and just end up bitter at the game. But then I'm an old man whose "skilled at retro games" days are largely behind him. :corsair:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

More than happy to accept G&W as my Platinum reward for this year. It never seemed to dip much lower than the $29.99 MSRP which meant I was not going to buy it for some time... the perfect gift, one that I would not have bought myself but will appreciate nevertheless!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I chose DKCR and don't have enough space on my SD card :downs:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

While it sucks to have a lower FPS, I am just glad that I don't have to waggle the controller to play. By the time DKCR came out, I just completely done with using waggle control for a 2D platformer.

I preferred the 3DS version but the biggest flaw was the control scheme. You either play with the nub and have auto-run on but blowing and the smash are difficult because the nub is imprecise or you switch to the d-pad which requires you to hold run and rolling is assigned to the loving shoulder buttons.

Why is this walking even an option? Why can't I customize the controls? It's just really poor design and Nintendo games rarely give you a choice in control scheme.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Suspend points are one thing, but "when I close my DS, it goes to sleep" is a pretty ingrained feature of the system(s), and it's been that way for a decade now. I can see how you might be willing to buy in knowing it's not there, but not having it in the ambassador games is jarring and probably led to a lot of dead 3DSes and lost progress, and I can totally understand why they don't want to sell that kind of subpar user experience on the eShop.

(Of course, I still wish they had figured out a way to do it properly.)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Which do you guys think is a better choice for my free game, Wario Land or Mario and DK? I haven't ever played a Wario Land game at length.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well Wario Land is good and, on the other hand, Mario and DK is bad so I think you should get Dr. Luigi.

(But seriously get Wario Land)

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

romanowski posted:

I chose DKCR and don't have enough space on my SD card :downs:

Yeah this "free" game cost me $20 to upgrade my SD card.

*it was a long time coming to be honest.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I know this gets said every time there's a big Club Nintendo promotion, but their service seems to be really messed up at the moment. I just logged in and it seemed fine, except by entire To-Do List was blank despite it having something like a dozen entries last time I logged in. I then went to redeem my Platinum reward for a copy of Game and Wario only for it to tell me my reward had already been redeemed. I guess I'll wait a day and see if it straightens itself out.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

If anyone doesn't want their platinum game I would totally buy their Game & Wario code.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I just saw a thread in sa mart where a couple people are selling codes

Asadasa
Feb 4, 2004

Brain Burnt

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

If anyone doesn't want their platinum game I would totally buy their Game & Wario code.

Check your messages - I already own these games, so I'd be willing to sell you a Game & Wario code.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

So I ended up getting DKCR since I've been wanting to get it for a while. Still getting used to the controls but I'm enjoying it. Puzzle pieces are already causing me trouble.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

I'm with this guy. If anyone else wants to shoot a PM, otherwise I'll check around SA-Mart.

EDIT: and found a seller. Thanks Smirking_Serpent!

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 17, 2014

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I chose DKCR. This game is so much better without the pointless motion control bullshit. I am happy with this reward, though I can see how some people might be let down that this year's reward doesn't have anything exclusive.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Asadasa posted:

Check your messages - I already own these games, so I'd be willing to sell you a Game & Wario code.

Payment sent!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of July 10):

Not much in the way of new releases, but there are some decent upcoming sales... Steamworld Dig, Steel Diver Sub Wars and EARTHBOUND.

I wonder if there's any chance of that Nes Remix/Nes Remix 2 deal coming to the US. I already have Nes Remix 2, and debating whether to get Nes Remix or Game and Wario as a Platinum pick.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Just to double-check I can redeem my reward for Earthbound now and enter my code into a Wii U in say, late August or early September when I actually, like, buy one and it'll still work?? I guess what I'm asking is how long the code will be good for. I have seen conflicting answers already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Just to double-check I can redeem my reward for Earthbound now and enter my code into a Wii U in say, late August or early September when I actually, like, buy one and it'll still work?? I guess what I'm asking is how long the code will be good for. I have seen conflicting answers already.

Somebody said they redeemed their code from last year's elite status reward a few weeks back and it still worked so I'd say yes. You only just need to pick the game out and get the code for it by August 15th.