Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Captain Invictus posted:

I wound up finishing the Spaceship X6 Vic Viper this morning, not realizing I'd spent nearly 4 hours on it to finally complete it and noticed the sun peeking through the corners of my window. Ugh.

Sooo... Does it transform in an Orbital Frame like in ZoE2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sometimes I really hate what the internet and ease of reselling has done to Lego. I bought myself a random series 2 Mixel on a whim and are pretty delighted by them, especially with how much character they have for non-minifigures. So I go online to see about the few cool ones of series 1 that I remember seeing untouched in my local target for months and.... of course they're being resold for 4x the original amount now that they're officially out of production.

Oh well, I guess I really didn't need them if I didn't snap them up when they first came out. That's pretty much the only mindset/way to deal with this crap.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

jeeves posted:

Oh well, I guess I really didn't need them if I didn't snap them up when they first came out. That's pretty much the only mindset/way to deal with this crap.

That has been my attitude with sets the past two years. If I wasn't willing to buy it at MRSP when it was out, I am sure not going to pay any markup to get it on the secondary market. Granted, I still buy sets on sale but anything I have to have I tend to buy it on release from S&H.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So apparently the lego research institute is at lego stores already. I picked up one at the store in Newark literally 30 seconds after he brought them out. 19.99 doesn't seem like a bad deal at all for it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dear Lego,
You need a store in New Orleans. You have some cities in the US with two stores, while for people in Louisiana, their nearest store is Houston. Ain't nobody got time for that kind of road trip. So yeah, New Orleans. Or Baton Rouge.

Love,
The Doctor

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

VaultAggie posted:

So apparently the lego research institute is at lego stores already. I picked up one at the store in Newark literally 30 seconds after he brought them out. 19.99 doesn't seem like a bad deal at all for it.

What, really? Jeez. My GF totally wants that, but there seems to be zero release date info anywhere.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Anora posted:

Sooo... Does it transform in an Orbital Frame like in ZoE2?

It transforms into a bunch of stuff flying off all over the table when you pick it up

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

VaultAggie posted:

Took a look on their website, nothing :( Is that $20 or £20?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Took a look on their website, nothing :( Is that $20 or £20?

20$, although 19.99 since it was in Delaware. :getin:

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

VaultAggie posted:

tax free shopping :getin:

One of the many things I miss about the First State...

That being said, the Natick, MA store had a BUNCH of new stuff in today and even the employees seemed rather excited by it all. No sign of the Research Institute set, but I got the Star Destroyer I have been waiting (im)patiently for and the B-Wing, and will probably return in a few weeks for the AT-AT, MTT, and maybe some of the ice City sets. Someone mentioned that the seaplane looks like the Sea Duck from Talespin, and now I have the urge to build a bunch of sky pirate planes and have them chase it around while it throws fruit at them.

There is also some new Star Wars ship I'm not familiar with (meaning it's either from Episode 3 or some TV show or something) that looks like it COULD be neat, but I'm going to wait to see if people say it's as cool as the Jedi Defender Cruiser or the Republic Cruiser.

...Also the Mos Eisley set looks nice and DAMNIT LEGO all I wanted was the Star Destroyer and now look what you're doing to me!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tighran posted:

There is also some new Star Wars ship I'm not familiar with

If it looks sort of like the Millennium Falcon but not quite, that's from the new tv show Rebels.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

If it looks sort of like the Millennium Falcon but not quite, that's from the new tv show Rebels.

That's the one. It seems like it has some pods rather like the Defender Cruiser, but they rotate maybe? And it combines with a smaller set to form... something that doesn't look that different? Which kind of seems like a money grab to me, but I haven't seen the show so who knows.

The new Star Destroyer is quite a bit larger than I expected! I will post shots of it completed next to the Super Star Destroyer and the MIDI-scale Star Destroyer... once I do more sorting so I can reassemble the MIDI scale. And I really don't like sorting... :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The show isn't even out yet I don't think.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Tighran posted:

The new Star Destroyer is quite a bit larger than I expected! I will post shots of it completed next to the Super Star Destroyer and the MIDI-scale Star Destroyer... once I do more sorting so I can reassemble the MIDI scale. And I really don't like sorting... :(

I was surprised as well, I was a bit disappointed when I was building it because it seemed so small, and then at the end you attach the outer hull which significantly increases the size.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Tighran posted:

Someone mentioned that the seaplane looks like the Sea Duck from Talespin, and now I have the urge to build a bunch of sky pirate planes and have them chase it around while it throws fruit at them.
It was me. Make my dreams happen. :allears:

I had to stop myself from destroying my wallet at the Lego store today (Ontario Mills, California):

Lego B-Wing No. 75050 MSRP: $49.99

Lego Mos Eisley Cantina No. 75052 MSRP: $69.99

Lego Snowspeeder No. 75049 MSRP: $29.99 and Lego AT-AT No. 75054 $109.99

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Mitsune posted:

I had to stop myself from destroying my wallet at the Lego store today (Ontario Mills, California):

The nearest LEGO store is over 2 hours away :(

Why haven't they updated their online store so I can give them money?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Mitsune posted:

Reasonably priced star wars sets? What madness is this?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, a new B-Wing? I thought the UCS went over poorly. But I guess there is always a market for recognizable $50 original trilogy spaceships.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The B-wing doesn't seem like a very fun model, especially with all the no-studs and massive greebling techniques Lego has been using lately. And then a random Star Wars ship with studs all over the place? :iiam:

Even the at-at seems like a cheap reissue of set 4483.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Oh man, buying that snow speeder this weekend!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Just a head's up, TRU is doing BOGO40% for Chima, Star Wars, Disney Princesses, Super Heroes, and Hobbit sets. I don't know if you can cross-theme them (eg, buy Cinderella's Castle and get the Guardians of the Galaxy ship for 40% off), though. Some of them don't even have the TRU tax to begin with!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

smackfu posted:

Huh, a new B-Wing? I thought the UCS went over poorly. But I guess there is always a market for recognizable $50 original trilogy spaceships.

That's fine, I love studdy-as-hell LEGO. And B-Wings. So I guess I'm one of those suckers that didn't get an older model and will therefore buy the poo poo out of this one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does anyone recognize these plastic bins and maybe know where to get them?

They seem perfect for a storage system I want to use but I can't figure out where they come from.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
The pricing on the Snowspeeder is pretty hosed up in the UK when you compare it to the Battle for Hoth set and the near identical snowspeeder you get with that.

New Snowspeeder: 278 pieces, 3 minifigures - £35 ($60!!! compared to $30 in the US)
Battle for Hoth: 426 pieces, 7 minifigures - £40 ($69 compared to $50 in the US)

In the US there's a $20 price difference between the two sets, which makes a lot more sense.

I'm not a big Star Wars fan or anything, but I like Hoth stuff and the snowspeeder is one of my favourite Star Wars vehicles. But, no way I can justify the price for this one. I'm tempted to go pick up the Hoth set from my local TRU.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Holy poo poo lego is cheap in the US.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Honestly toys in general are. Most Transformers kits are the same in dollars and pound sterling, so a $15 figure costs £15.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Yup. I buy the modulars when I go to the US, and the VIP points transfer over.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It is. It's actually relatively cheap in the UK compared to a lot of other regions as well. The pound is pretty strong at the moment as well which makes the difference even bigger. We also tend to get a lot more discounts and specials as well. I rarely pay more than 60% of the UK retail price for anything I buy (the exception being exclusives, you tend to have to pay full price for those)... I just have to wait for it to be on special. Deals that good are a little rarer in the US.

The odd thing is the disparity in how much cheaper the US is for some sets... as in the snowspeeder example. It rarely seems to make sense and you end up with these odd one-offs that are priced way too hight.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

xzzy posted:

Does anyone recognize these plastic bins and maybe know where to get them?

They seem perfect for a storage system I want to use but I can't figure out where they come from.

I don't know for sure or anything but those look like the kind of box my mom organizes coupons in.

I realize after typing that that probably that doesn't help.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

smackfu posted:

I need it to complete my set of rebel alliance fighters so I'll be picking it up though I am waiting for double or triple points as none of the July/August promotions interest me.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I picked up the snow speeder today, going to attempt to have my three year old son help me build it tonight. Should be an interesting experience! I also grabbed a Simpsons mini fig and got Apu. If anyone is looking for one, I'll gladly trade it.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The hell are you guys finding the new Star Wars stuff? I need the B-Wing and Snowspeeder, and they weren't at Wal-Mart of Target when I looked today. Lego.com still doesn't show anything newer than the microfighters :smith:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

They've been out for months here, just cost twice as much :P

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Carteret posted:

The hell are you guys finding the new Star Wars stuff? I need the B-Wing and Snowspeeder, and they weren't at Wal-Mart of Target when I looked today. Lego.com still doesn't show anything newer than the microfighters :smith:
I found the sets at the official LEGO retail store (specifically in Ontario Mills). The cashier told me they just put them up on the shelves this past Monday (7/14/2014). I also didn't see any hint of them in the surrounding stores (e.g. Target, Toys R Us, etc).

I am, however, so thankful LEGO numbers their bags now. Building the Imperial Shuttle was a nightmare. After a while all the white pieces started blending in together. :stonklol:

Finished build: :toot:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I would make the trek to my nearest LEGO store, but it's a 2.5 hour drive one way. That seems a bit excessive to spend 5 hours driving and almost 50 bucks in gas to buy LEGO. Hurry up and update your eshop, LEGO :argh:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Mitsune posted:

I am, however, so thankful LEGO numbers their bags now. Building the Imperial Shuttle was a nightmare. After a while all the white pieces started blending in together. :stonklol:

It wasn't that bad using the one true way :colbert:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Those Target fuckers restocked the Simpsons minifigs and jacked up the price 40 cents. The hell they think they are, Toys R Us?

Ugh. Well, anyone got a Milhouse? That's all I'm down to.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Today I assembled a squad of space marines for desktop defense

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
To whichever Lego designer created those lamps on the front of the Arkham Asylum gate. gently caress. You. I have never had so much trouble with a single step before. The small brown rods DO NOT FIT inside the yellow cone bits without extreme force - even after I literally lubed up the pieces with my spit.

You hear me Lego? You gave me such a lovely piece combo that I literally spat on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The little front antennas on the Lunar Limo are the same way. Different types of plastic or something.