Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Without the dog fucker playbook, how will we ever gently caress the dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's a Compendium Class at best.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Dogs have remained unfucked in Dungeon World campaigns for years, all because Dungeon World is somehow bound by the outdated Dungeons and Dragons sacred cow of generally not being about loving dogs.

Thankfully Monsterhearts has a Werewolf skin, and no D&D ability scores!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

Dogs have remained unfucked in Dungeon World campaigns for years, all because Dungeon World is somehow bound by the outdated Dungeons and Dragons sacred cow of generally not being about loving dogs.

Thankfully Monsterhearts has a Werewolf skin, and no D&D ability scores!

I'm pretty sure Pathfinder dealt with literally loving the sacred cow with its ogres.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So this is the part where we, the Outrage Brigade—controlling body of grogs.txt and Paywall Executor of SA—eat our own because of dogfucking jokes.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Plague of Hats posted:

So this is the part where we, the Outrage Brigade—controlling body of grogs.txt and Paywall Executor of SA—eat our own because of dogfucking jokes.

I'm looking forward to my contributor credit to Dungeons and Dragons 6th Edition.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Plague of Hats posted:

I think it leads to hotter tempers in this case because, I mean, loving look at what ZakS proclaims proudly out in the open anyway. It's cold enough comfort that some abuser or harasser was "such a nice guy, you'd never think that…" but there's Zak just screaming over and over "the needle doesn't move, you're the real sexist, I asked my 2,000 blog followers, I put you on a list." But, whoa, hold on, "innocent until proven guilty", he didn't say the exact words "I put this specific person, whom I hate, on an Enemies List to give my explicit and full-throated encouragement that they be harassed in legally consequent ways. —signed ZakS —notarized John Tarnowski"

The funniest part of the list was finding out a dude I lived with for a month was one of the ones using it to harass people and

Plague of Hats posted:

finding out my stories about him were reposted grognards.txt-style on a minmaxing forum years before this happened.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

You are the moooooooooon...

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Evil Sagan posted:

On a 10+, you create awareness of problematic elements of the community and spread good ideas about respectfulness and inclusiveness. On 7-9, you're Sage LaTorra.

You are and continue to be one of my favorite posters

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr. Maltose posted:

To connect Sage and X-Crawl, Dungeon World is a great system for X-Crawl because of how momentum builds up via 7-9s and the ease of making Signature Moves by just saying how you do them.

Funny you should say that. Last week, I started running an X-Crawl game using Dungeon World. That said, I never actually read X-Crawl or even the F&F review of it. It was sort-of a last minute, "poo poo, I might have a good premade adventure, but drat it's story milquetoast. Let's liven it up." So, it's pretty much just based on the most basic concept of Dungeon Crawling gameshow.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Covok posted:

So, it's pretty much just based on the most basic concept of Dungeon Crawling gameshow.

There isn't really anything more to X-Crawl than this.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

zachol posted:

There isn't really anything more to X-Crawl than this.

There is, it's just that none of it is any good.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Today in class we were discussing the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm, and there's a step in the thing where you have a random chance of doing something and you have to generate a random number between 0 and 1, check to see if it's lower than the chance, and determine success and failure accordingly. It's amazing how long it takes for a bunch of grown-up graduate students understand the concept. Today I learned that RPGs help you academically.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Cyphoderus posted:

Today in class we were discussing the Metropolis-Hastings algorithm, and there's a step in the thing where you have a random chance of doing something and you have to generate a random number between 0 and 1, check to see if it's lower than the chance, and determine success and failure accordingly. It's amazing how long it takes for a bunch of grown-up graduate students understand the concept. Today I learned that RPGs help you academically.

Did you pull out your d100 and show those funhavers what for? :smaug:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Hold up.

quote:

Specifically, at each iteration, the algorithm picks a candidate for the next sample value based on the current sample value. Then, with some probability, the candidate is either accepted (in which case the candidate value is used in the next iteration) or rejected (in which case the candidate value is discarded, and current value is reused in the next iteration)−the probability of acceptance is determined by comparing the likelihoods of the current and candidate sample values with respect to the desired distribution P(x).
Is this literally just saying "pick random numbers until you get one that fits a curve, save it, then repeat, and eventually you'll have a bunch of numbers that approximate the curve you want"? How is that... anything interesting? It seems incredibly trivial.

e: I mean, I must just be misunderstanding it but still, that seems like a weird explanation.

zachol fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 16, 2014

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Man, Metropolis-Hastings is super useful. It's the basis for simulated annealing, for one, which is a tremendously good metaheuristic that can be used in a whole slew of things (we use it in AI, and it can be used anywhere you need to find a global maximum of some function).

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
All this talk about D&D Next got me thinking about a stupid D&D (or more likely DW) variant me and some friends were thinking about. It all started when someone took a look at a character sheet and was wondering that if, instead of writing down "Wizard" or "Cleric" into the section of the sheet where it says "class:" you would write "class:working". Then we came up with an idea for a variant game where your character was actually the entire working class, fighting class, praying class etc. Your hp would be actual members of the class (and taking damage would mean individuals falling in the class struggle), or at least the members of your (political) party, your attack powers would be strikes(as in union strikes) and so on. The bad guys would be the individualistic, demigod manifestations of your opressors, The Wizard, The Fighter, The Rogue etc. It could be called Communism & Class-Struggle, or perhaps Dialectics World. Roll +Trotskyism, on a 10+ you pull off an uprising without a hitch.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ataxerxes posted:

Dialectics World. Roll +Trotskyism, on a 10+ you pull off an uprising without a hitch.

Make this. Now.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'd love to play in an RPG where you are members of a communist vanguard party, balancing the needs of a worker's revolution in progress with the demands of a truly communist society.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

I'd love to play in an RPG where you are members of a communist vanguard party, balancing the needs of a worker's revolution in progress with the demands of a truly communist society.

Paranoia?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Sagan posted:

You literally just described Paranoia.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
All this talk of X-Crawl coupled with the fact that I've wanted to run Old School Hack for a while has got me thinking that I should run an OSH pbp. The problem is that some of OSH's mechanics are kind of hard to do in pbp, like the fact that in character creation you roll each stat one at a time l, choosing which roll goes to which stat at the time the stats are rolled. That's kinda hard to do without the transparency of the tabletop.

That said, that one mechanic might as well be removed for the sake of fun. I was thinking that players roll all six of their attributes at a time and divide the rolls to each of the attributes according to taste, but players could also choose to take their rolls in the order they rolled them for an immediate Awesome Point reward.

The other problem is, I've never run pbp before, so I'm scared.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Apparently I'd love to play Paranoia.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Sagan posted:

It's pretty fuckin fun!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arivia posted:

Paranoia?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Sounds like we got some fuckin' commie traitor filth here

Olde_fortran
Jul 16, 2014

Plague of Hats posted:

But you seemed to know the general shape of ZakS even if you were skeptical about certain things, and you acted pretty conciliatory about acknowledging that, like you were afraid you'd hurt his feelings with the stuff you absolutely know is true.

I know many things about Zak, yes. I'm not sure I could ever hurt his feelings, though.

I erred hard on he side of trying to listen to everyone in that thread. I had no spine, and went with basically every post that came along. That was undoubtably lovely. Something I learned from this, hopefully, is having some spine.

I'd just like to point out again that what I knew before taking with Gau was a whole bunch of retellings of that same story. I even got it wrong to start. My knowledge changes throughout that conversation.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Ratpick posted:

We should totally get elfgames recognized as a legit sport. elfSports.

Competitive CharOp. PvP Tournaments. Teams of D&D players running their carefully optimized groups through gimmicky dungeons hosted by celebrity Dungeon Masters. The best teams would get sponsorship deals from Paizo and WotC and would do product endorsements for third party publishers.

"Hi, I'm loving Gary, player of Gregar 'Trollslayer' Johnson from the Minnesota Mimics. After a tough day in the dungeon there is only one kind of healing that is good enough for Gregar, and that is the potion of superlative healing from Fantasy Heartbreaker Games' new Magic Item Bargain Bin, available at a FLGS near you. Accept no substitutes."

Sort of related, but someone actually tried to bring a sort of competitive tournament match to Pathfinder with Conflict PvP, a 3rd Party supplement which takes inspiration from competitive MMO games (Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, etc) to apply it to Pathfinder. It even has print-out promotional material in the back to put at your FLGS for groups to run and participate. I don't know how widespread or successful it's been, as I don't really see people talking about this book a lot in PF circles.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 16, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Olde_fortran posted:

I know many things about Zak, yes. I'm not sure I could ever hurt his feelings, though.

I erred hard on he side of trying to listen to everyone in that thread. I had no spine, and went with basically every post that came along. That was undoubtably lovely. Something I learned from this, hopefully, is having some spine.

I'd just like to point out again that what I knew before taking with Gau was a whole bunch of retellings of that same story. I even got it wrong to start. My knowledge changes throughout that conversation.

Are you going to apologize to all the people whose experiences were marginalized even farther by you listening to everyone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

I'll run it for you sometime. It would be a great palate cleanser between seasons of Monsterhearts.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Maltose posted:

Are you going to apologize to all the people whose experiences were marginalized even farther by you listening to everyone.

Holy poo poo you are not helping whatsoever

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

zachol posted:

Hold up.

Is this literally just saying "pick random numbers until you get one that fits a curve, save it, then repeat, and eventually you'll have a bunch of numbers that approximate the curve you want"? How is that... anything interesting? It seems incredibly trivial.

e: I mean, I must just be misunderstanding it but still, that seems like a weird explanation.

Pick a random parameter value and compare it with the previous value you had. If it's better, accept the new value. If it's worse, accept the new value with a certain random chance. This is one iteration. Repeat for millions of iterations. At the end, if you did it right, you can reconstruct the posterior distribution of the parameter based on the amount of time the process spent on each parameter value.

Basically Metropolis-Hastings is the basic way to deal with Bayes' formula, which has as its denominator a hairy integral that's usually impossible to compute analytically. It makes Bayesian inference achievable. Bayesian inference is super useful; off the top of my head, it's used for weather forecasting, face recognition both in standard digital cameras and police systems, and google choosing what results to show you at the top of the page, among thousands of other applications. It's cool!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Cyphoderus posted:

Pick a random parameter value and compare it with the previous value you had. If it's better, accept the new value. If it's worse, accept the new value with a certain random chance. This is one iteration. Repeat for millions of iterations. At the end, if you did it right, you can reconstruct the posterior distribution of the parameter based on the amount of time the process spent on each parameter value.

Oh, this makes much more sense. I didn't notice "accept with a certain random chance" at first. Neat.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cyphoderus posted:

Basically Metropolis-Hastings is the basic way to deal with Bayes' formula, which has as its denominator a hairy integral that's usually impossible to compute analytically. It makes Bayesian inference achievable. Bayesian inference is super useful; off the top of my head, it's used for weather forecasting, face recognition both in standard digital cameras and police systems, and google choosing what results to show you at the top of the page, among thousands of other applications. It's cool!
Bayes' theorem best theorem.

Olde_fortran
Jul 16, 2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

I apologize for anything I did that marginalized anyone's experience. That was not my intention.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He did not, in fact, describe anything even remotely like Paranoia.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Well now I don't know what to believe!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Sagan posted:

Well now I don't know what to believe!
Just trust the computer.

Can't go wrong trusting the computer.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

e: hrhglhghaldf

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He did not, in fact, describe anything even remotely like Paranoia.

He exactly described Paranoia in every nuance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Maybe on the most surface level you could run Paranoia as the presumably serious game where you balance a true communist society with the reality of the situation but it's really not the first thing that comes to mind.

• Locked thread