Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's basically what I'm going for yeah. Tech would mostly be scavenged and home-made stuff (only the privileged and exceptionally talented would have access to metal-working) so you'd be fighting off earthworms with penny-shields and chunks of quartz driven into a chunk of wood, or firing rubber-band ballistae out of a boat that's primarily just a big leaf.

What I'm saying is the greatest melee weapon ever invented will be more common:

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Babe Magnet posted:

That's basically what I'm going for yeah. Tech would mostly be scavenged and home-made stuff (only the privileged and exceptionally talented would have access to metal-working) so you'd be fighting off earthworms with penny-shields and chunks of quartz driven into a chunk of wood, or firing rubber-band ballistae out of a boat that's primarily just a big leaf.

What I'm saying is the greatest melee weapon ever invented will be more common:

Yeeeesssss :allears:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Reminds me of Mouse Guard :allears: I think we're all sold on the concept.

fake edit: a Tiny World with regular humans as part of the setting would be awesome too. Bottlecap shields, needle rapiers, battling inside a Swiss cheese, house cat dragons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gnome7's new(er) Mage playbooks are incredible and I love them all. One of my players for a Dungeon World game starting Saturday is either going to play the Clock Mage or the Masked Mage and honestly I'm jealous that he gets to play them and I can only GM and enjoy from afar. I love how those playbooks make magic seem like an integral part of who and what the character is, instead of being about "casting spells." It's like it's as natural to the mage as walking.

Are there any plans to make individual playbooks for the rest of the spell foci from the original Mage playbook, like the Twilight or the Horizon?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Anyone messed around with a Mutation mechanism at all? I was thinking about adding one.

How I have it right now in pre-testing phase is basically there's a new stat, "Volatility" or whatever. It would slowly increase under certain circumstances (a spell does a certain amount of damage all at once or almost kills you, alchemy mishaps, GM plot shenanery, etc.) like XP and once it fills up it resets back to 0 and the threshold would increase so it would be harder to get another one. You'd then roll off on a table (maybe one of the playbooks can be based around letting you choose and getting special mutations and benefits) and you'd get, say, a tail, or webbing under your arms that allows limited gliding. Each mutation would have a benefit and a downside, so there would be no flat gains. If you didn't want to risk a mutation, you could detox in a variety of ways and remove some of your Volatility.

You could have like entire adventures based around gathering detox materials or trying to force a specific mutation.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 16, 2014

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
I was going to do a mechanic called mutation. But it's more related to weapons changing between forms ala Rooster Teeths RWBY. Still a lot of work to do on that though. As for your idea, it sounds interesting but how far would the mutations go? Would they all be things like "Get an animal feature like poison fangs" or would you have something crazy like "Your brain now exists outside your body in a jar. You can't be affected by mind powers but holy poo poo don't drop that jar" Also are these mutations limited only to the pcs? Or is everything at risk of mutating? Local wild life, the water you're drinking, lampposts? If only the people are at risk of being mutated then I can imagine how important those detox materials might be to remain pure or some such. But, if mutation is commonplace would it be as important to gather them?

Holy poo poo, what if the detox materials mutated? How far does the mutation rabbit hole go? I should never be allowed to use this mechanic on anyone. :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Babe Magnet posted:

Anyone messed around with a Mutation mechanism at all? I was thinking about adding one.

How I have it right now in pre-testing phase is basically there's a new stat, "Volatility" or whatever. It would slowly increase under certain circumstances (a spell does a certain amount of damage all at once or almost kills you, alchemy mishaps, GM plot shenanery, etc.) like XP and once it fills up it resets back to 0 and the threshold would increase so it would be harder to get another one. You'd then roll off on a table (maybe one of the playbooks can be based around letting you choose and getting special mutations and benefits) and you'd get, say, a tail, or webbing under your arms that allows limited gliding. Each mutation would have a benefit and a downside, so there would be no flat gains. If you didn't want to risk a mutation, you could detox in a variety of ways and remove some of your Volatility.

You could have like entire adventures based around gathering detox materials or trying to force a specific mutation.

Check out 'The Bonded' playbook, it has a lot of similar stuff.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ Will do! ^^^

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I was going to do a mechanic called mutation. But it's more related to weapons changing between forms ala Rooster Teeths RWBY. Still a lot of work to do on that though. As for your idea, it sounds interesting but how far would the mutations go? Would they all be things like "Get an animal feature like poison fangs" or would you have something crazy like "Your brain now exists outside your body in a jar. You can't be affected by mind powers but holy poo poo don't drop that jar" Also are these mutations limited only to the pcs? Or is everything at risk of mutating? Local wild life, the water you're drinking, lampposts? If only the people are at risk of being mutated then I can imagine how important those detox materials might be to remain pure or some such. But, if mutation is commonplace would it be as important to gather them?

Holy poo poo, what if the detox materials mutated? How far does the mutation rabbit hole go? I should never be allowed to use this mechanic on anyone. :v:

I have a separate mechanic to represent stuff like mutable weapons and scratch-build armaments (it's mostly a bunch of new tags), so yeah I'm talking about body and mind mutations. As for how far they'll go, I'm thinking "it depends". I'm going to be testing this thoroughly yeah, but what I have in mind is initially you've got a bunch of minor mutations that ramp up as you keep stacking Volatility levels. For instance, lets say you ramp up your first level of Volatility, you roll on the table and you get something like "You grow an extra eye". It does this and that (maybe it gives you a bonus to observing things with your eyes but effects that target the eyes like blinding, night vision, etc. is more severe, whatever) and you move on. Next volatility level, you roll on the table again, and if you roll the eyes bit again, now you've got a bunch of eye growths like a horrible spider. Maybe some of them are popping up on your palms and legs. Bigger bonus, bigger tradeoffs. Not all would be physical, so psionics could be included to a minor degree, or you might wake up one day and suddenly you can smell colors. If you're the playbook that focuses on mutations, you'd have a bit more control like being able to pick specific bits from the playbook, gaining (or losing) volatility quicker and easier, getting special bonuses from your mutations as part of moves, that sort of thing.

Mutations would occur naturally in the world, yeah. It would be a global thing, like it's just something that sort of happens as a result of everything being inherently magical in some way. Most are harmless or minor inconveniences like growing an extra eye. The average trader dude's not going to care about that, really. It's somewhat rare but the PCs get more exposure to it so it's more likely to happen to them, is all. There could even be entire factions and religions based on stacking mutations so you bust into a previously unknown pocket of life in the Mother Tree and are beset upon by highly mutated dudes driven insane by years of isolation and mutation.

As for detoxing, that would be up to the GM I would imagine in most cases. In my mind, I have it as being pretty rare. The average guy would just stop adventuring after a while. Maybe it goes away a little bit over time? You can find the materials for detoxing in any decent sized city, but sometimes you've got to do some heavy lifting for it, or you can only get hold of it through illicit means. Maybe you'll find some in the treasure horde of a massive Dragon Spider, and you can hold on to it or sell it for some quick ducats.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 16, 2014

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So I'm planning on starting up another Dungeon World game (Already running one online that's sort of a bastardized sci-fi version) but am sort of tired of your standard Dwarves and Elves and crap and wanted to try to liven things up a little bit. Now I'm not particularly keen on the way Dungeon World uses races with character creation where the benefits are tied to your character class (As in the vanilla character sheets) or takes the place of the character class itself (As is the case with the oldschool styled Elf and Dwarf character classes).

In general I much prefer the drives and backgrounds system that play book writers have been incorporated. That said since I'm running a game with weirder options for player races I still sort of want them to have an impact on character creation and gameplay beyond "You are a bird person, you look like a bird person".

So the idea I've sort of been tossing around in my head was to come up with some generic moves and benefits that players could apply to their characters that are independent of class. Each race would get two to three extra moves that reflect the abilities of their race. For instance if you have an octopus man in addition to the moves on his character sheet he would also be able to, say, Breathe Underwater or Change Colour.

I'm wondering what people think of this idea and if anyone had any sort of suggestions as to how I could best set this up mechanically (Should I think about trying to give them moves with specific outcomes/drawbacks for the players to choose from on a 7-9 as is that case with classes like the Dashing Hero and Artificer? Or should it be more open-ended and left up to the player how to utilize these abilities within the narrative?)

And in case anyone has any suggestions for racial abilities the types of races I was thinking of using were Humans, Lizard Men, Bird People, Beast Men (Basically just Orcs, Goblins and other Orclike things) and Octopus People.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
That is pretty much exactly what I'm doing with Pirate World's backgrounds. What's your email? I'll send you the backgrounds draft.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

KingKalamari posted:

So I'm planning on starting up another Dungeon World game (Already running one online that's sort of a bastardized sci-fi version) but am sort of tired of your standard Dwarves and Elves and crap and wanted to try to liven things up a little bit. Now I'm not particularly keen on the way Dungeon World uses races with character creation where the benefits are tied to your character class (As in the vanilla character sheets) or takes the place of the character class itself (As is the case with the oldschool styled Elf and Dwarf character classes).

In general I much prefer the drives and backgrounds system that play book writers have been incorporated. That said since I'm running a game with weirder options for player races I still sort of want them to have an impact on character creation and gameplay beyond "You are a bird person, you look like a bird person".

So the idea I've sort of been tossing around in my head was to come up with some generic moves and benefits that players could apply to their characters that are independent of class. Each race would get two to three extra moves that reflect the abilities of their race. For instance if you have an octopus man in addition to the moves on his character sheet he would also be able to, say, Breathe Underwater or Change Colour.

I'm wondering what people think of this idea and if anyone had any sort of suggestions as to how I could best set this up mechanically (Should I think about trying to give them moves with specific outcomes/drawbacks for the players to choose from on a 7-9 as is that case with classes like the Dashing Hero and Artificer? Or should it be more open-ended and left up to the player how to utilize these abilities within the narrative?)

And in case anyone has any suggestions for racial abilities the types of races I was thinking of using were Humans, Lizard Men, Bird People, Beast Men (Basically just Orcs, Goblins and other Orclike things) and Octopus People.

I'd sort of take a page from the Druid here. instead of any kind of rolled move, just make several statements about your races that are true, and each player gets one or all of those statements.

I am a (Race), and I can:

So like maybe
I am an Octopus person, and I can:
-Breathe Underwater
-Change my skin color to blend into surroundings
-Stick to walls and climb them easily

Or
I am a Troglodyte, and I can:
See perfectly in total darkness
Always scavenge something to eat in caves
resist damage with my rocky skin (+1armor)

Then you just leave Drives and Backgrounds as-is.

Edit:
This race stuff can even just replace the names part of the playbook without too much hassle.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Error 404 posted:

I'd sort of take a page from the Druid here. instead of any kind of rolled move, just make several statements about your races that are true, and each player gets one or all of those statements.

I am a (Race), and I can:

Dark Heart of the Dreamer does this, actually. You get three monster moves that are appropriate for whatever you're descended from, and then you can spend hold to use them. In fact, since you basically thought up half the rules for it yourself and the moves are probably floating around the Dungeon World blogosphere anyway, here are the moves about heritage moves in Dark Heart of the Dreamer:

quote:

At the beginning of a session or when you invoke
your rights of blood and tradition(however you do
that), roll+Wis. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2.
On a miss, you still hold 1. Spend this hold 1-for-1
during play to make a heritage move, just like that.

When you gain new appreciation for your heritage,
add a new heritage move or change an existing one.

I'll be honest, I'm only mentioning this because Dark Heart Of The Dreamer is rad and everyone should read it at some point.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Dark Heart of the Dreamer does this, actually. You get three monster moves that are appropriate for whatever you're descended from, and then you can spend hold to use them. In fact, since you basically thought up half the rules for it yourself and the moves are probably floating around the Dungeon World blogosphere anyway, here are the moves about heritage moves in Dark Heart of the Dreamer:

I'll be honest, I'm only mentioning this because Dark Heart Of The Dreamer is rad and everyone should read it at some point.

I'll be damned. but iirc isn't dark heart about playing as monster races? and also, I'm not sure about requiring roll&hold for something that's supposed to be endemic to a race in whatever setting.

My gut tells me it would be best to either give it to your players as a freebie or cut it. besides, there's already a ton of moves to keep track of already just from levelling up as normal.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Error 404 posted:

I'll be damned. but iirc isn't dark heart about playing as monster races? and also, I'm not sure about requiring roll&hold for something that's supposed to be endemic to a race in whatever setting.

My gut tells me it would be best to either give it to your players as a freebie or cut it. besides, there's already a ton of moves to keep track of already just from levelling up as normal.

No, Numbers Appearing is about playing monster races. Dark Heart of the Dreamer is about doing Planescape-style stuff and generally running a game that are less traditional fantasy "orcs are Evil, elves are Good" and more... realistically metropolitan, I guess. I mean, one of the GM principles it adds is that nothing is "just a monster".

Anyway, using heritage moves cost hold for two reasons, as far as I can tell. One, they still want the fact that you're The Fighter to be more important than the fact that you're a troll and the class wouldn't really mean much if you could rend foes with your mighty claws 24/7 365 days of the year in the guaranteed way monster moves let you do things like that. Two, DHotD assumes you can be descended from just about anything, and you can't really let someone constantly disintegrate things with eye beams just because their grandpa was a beholder, you know what I mean?

Actually, while I was writing all this I realized what the difference between your ideas was. Your idea focuses on stuff like "I have horns" while DHotD focuses on stuff like "I put my head down and charge through my enemies" and just lets whatever horns you do or do not have stay in the fiction and if you want to gore someone with them without specifically doing that charge Dad taught you, just do whatever your table thinks is right. They're approaches that are a lot more distinct than they looked at a glance.

Crested Penguin
Jan 12, 2008
Possibly a Replicant
Have some Dark Heart of the Dreamer human moves, straight from the source.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

The Supreme Court posted:

That is pretty much exactly what I'm doing with Pirate World's backgrounds. What's your email? I'll send you the backgrounds draft.

It's idonotgotocartooncollege@gmail.com. I'm interested to see what you're doing!

Crested Penguin posted:

Have some Dark Heart of the Dreamer human moves, straight from the source.

I'm really liking this approach to things. Possibly because I am really into Dark Heart of the Dreamers' philosophy regarding monster races. I am definitely gonna pick up the full version.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
I like the heritage moves because it gives the player a chance to highlight what they think is important and cool about their character's origin / race / heritage. I also like that heritage moves can work completely independently of class - so instead of your racial move affecting situations or moves that are tied to what you do as a Bard or a Fighter or whatever, you have moves that are just part of who you are, they might not have anything to do your class. So you could have an Elf Fighter with a heritage move of "move someone to tears with the song of your people." I dig that.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Has there been any update or release date set for the war supplement? I don't really check anything other than kickstarter updates and that's been quiet for awhile.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

Micro World

Basically, the entire universe is a tree, and you're a tiny magical being in it fighting weird rear end spider-dragons and goin' on adventures to ancient mushroom cities and like, trying to discover what you can about the universe outside of the tree or whatever. Haven't gotten that far yet.

This looks really awesome.

Just out of curiosity, have you read The Carpet People by Terry Pratchett?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'd try to make one if I didn't try to get some sort of physical copy or something you couldn't get anywhere else on there. As it stands I just planned to have an overview of the setting, a couple of examples here and there, some playbooks, and a sample adventure or two to get people started. Charge a buck or two for the setting maybe and give the playbooks out for free. If I go the kickstarter route, I have a bunch of ideas for mechanics and new rulesets and such that I want to try. Also, being an artist myself, I could devote more time to making it pretty and creating art to get the setting across better.

Here's a link to the doc I update every once in a while. A lot of this is still a work in progress, as far as names are concerned. Also, I'm not a writer, so it's kind of spotty until I can get a friend of mine to edit it.

Micro World

Basically, the entire universe is a tree, and you're a tiny magical being in it fighting weird rear end spider-dragons and goin' on adventures to ancient mushroom cities and like, trying to discover what you can about the universe outside of the tree or whatever. Haven't gotten that far yet.

I have more stuff than what's in that doc, that's just like some basic info.

This is why I wrote Tiny mounts. :3:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, I'm running a game set in a Dungeon Crawling Game Show. Last session, I tried to sort of set up a challenge where they had to beat a hologram of a level boss at a card game to advance. They used time magic to cheat and beat him. Thing is, the whole "card game" challenge was just an idea I had during work and didn't really think through. Kind of glad the time mage invalidated it or else I don't know how I would have worked it, just did it because we decided to go on a little longer.

I kind of like the idea of this level boss challenging them to deadly versions of normal games to advance (the card game was his introductory challenge), but I don't really know how to make that work. I got some ideas how to turn chess into a death trap (remember Harry Potter?), but I'm wondering how to work that with the game's mechanics. Hell, I'm wondering if its a good idea for this system at all. If any could give any advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Defy Danger with INT to play smart or DEX to cheat.

I got to the point with my players where I had no idea how they'd solve problems, but they always came through.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Golden Bee posted:

I got to the point with my players where I had no idea how they'd solve problems, but they always came through.

I was in the game Covok's talking about and I think my favourite bit of problem solving at least I did was when we came across the level boss for floor 1, who was a wannabe rapper guy with diamond teeth, my dragon mage just reached into his mouth and turned his teeth into gold pieces, leaving him unable to rap and demoralized. And then Slenderman got him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

djw175 posted:

I was in the game Covok's talking about and I think my favourite bit of problem solving at least I did was when we came across the level boss for floor 1, who was a wannabe rapper guy with diamond teeth, my dragon mage just reached into his mouth and turned his teeth into gold pieces, leaving him unable to rap and demoralized. And then Slenderman got him.

Just for the record, he skipped the part where the other player smashed the guy through the floor into the room they trapped slenderman in. Just thought it seemed nonsensical without that part.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 18, 2014

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Golden Bee posted:

Probably look at the different types of games and look at their core interactions. Poker's depth is an odds and bluffing game, so break it down to the simplest version of that. Have a jack, queen king and ace shuffled face down. The hologram and a player each draw a card and gamble HP on having the higher card. Players can defy+cha to try and bluff the hologram.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Hi, guys, I think I have a Bad Opinion.

Having played/run a lot of Dungeon World with the Mage playbook, I have rediscovered a fondness for the Vancian Casting ideal - that spells should be a resource to be managed. I don't particularly like the idea of spell lists, as they seem to inhibit creativity with magic systems, and I do understand a complaint that a lot of my Wizard players have had with it - e.g., "I signed up to play Magic Man, not Archer In A Dress, but after a few bad rolls, that's basically what I'm stuck with."

Accordingly, I've been tinkering with a new mechanic that will probably end up as a proper playbook someday, but I wanted to try it out as a free-standing mechanic first.

Spell Charges
When you rest and refresh yourself in a place of relative safety, gain 5-charge. You may spend charge 1-for-1 at any time to:
- Treat a roll of 6 or lower as a 7-9 roll instead.
- Gain an extra +1d4 damage on any magic-based attack
- Give an ally +1 forward to a Defy Danger roll against a magical peril

What do you all think? Workable? Terrible?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
If your Wizard players are sad about running out of spells, tell them to pick the "danger" option of cast a spell instead of "lose the spell" or "worse at casting spells." Also if you were taking all their spells away when they failed rolls, don't do that. Give them an ugly choice where that's one of the choices, sure.

I kinda think that the "danger" choice might as well be automatic until the character might die from the danger.

There's no context or fiction for the Spell Charges move, shouldn't design starting from mechanics. Not that any move should have mechanics like these.

In play, I'd blow all the spell charges on instakill magic missiles, which happens when moves let you spend resources to deal damage at any time, especially for free. That's just giving away magic bullets. The open-ended "never fail" option also seems pretty questionable, better off making some no-roll move, except there's no fiction behind spell charges to tell me what exactly it is that merely having some saved up would automatically let someone do.

Characters kind of need to be able to fail any roll. Whoever has this move only ever fails when they allows themselves to.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
So I'm thinking about writing a small (?) supplement for DW based around renaissance Italy. Things I'm looking to include:

Rules for Kingdom/homesteading government, including stuff like politics (passing bills in a council of lords and so on), diplomacy and subterfuge,
Rules for warfare on land (leading regiments into combat, rules for besieging cities and ports and so on),
A few playbooks that would fit into the time period, such as a Lieutenant (think IW's captain, but with a regiment of troops instead of a ship), an artist/architect/inventor, Da Vinci style, and so on.

Maybe rules involving naval warfare and trade (kinda wary to tread on Pirate World's turf here) and a setting.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I don't think there's anything wrong with liking Vancian casting. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the base Wizard's rigid spell list, but I also don't like the Mage's sorta-kinda-not-really freeform method of casting either.

Have you looked at gnome's (the guy who designed the Mage) alternate Mages? Most of them have some degree of resource management, but they're also built in such a way that you won't be ever stuck playing an archer in silly robes as you said. They're also much more focused mechanically so you don't have the mixed bag of conceptually unrelated spells that the Wizard has.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

That is an old version, but I tried to step away from vancian and open up even beyond a theme while maintaining balance and parity in the fiction.

So maybe it would work for someone?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

slydingdoor posted:

Also if you were taking all their spells away when they failed rolls, don't do that. Give them an ugly choice where that's one of the choices, sure.

I'm somewhat fond of their spell still happening, but in a way very unpredictable and in a way that is much more potentially dangerous to the players than rolling a 7-9. You cast the fireball, but it's somehow teleported somewhere else (probably somewhere you don't want it to be). You cast the fireball, and now the entire room you are in is a scorching inferno. You're all in danger now and should probably leave. You though you were casting a fireball, but in fact have actually enchanted the ogre with a fiery aura... and you think maybe heat breath.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
Has anyone written a supplement or custom moves for, like, managing a business? I'm going to be running a game where the party is working in a brewery and it's their job to go out and find magical ingredients and recipes from abandoned brewmage towers and the like. I'd like to have some rules for when they get back home and start brewing though.

Currently, I'm thinking that each new component they use in the recipe gives them +1 craft (max 3). When you brew a batch of beer, roll + craft. On a 10+, choose two, on a 7-9, choose one. On a miss, choose one but the GM includes a complication.
*The batch is insanely popular. The brewery makes a ton of money off it.
*The batch attracts the attention of a specific connoisseur. They ask for a special request.
*??? (I'm thinking maybe something that adds followers as apprentices to the brewery or makes the recipe easier to follow the next time.)

I obviously don't want them stuck there just brewing all day and micromanaging income and all that, but I also would like them to make decisions that influence the way it operates, like spending cash to buy more holding vats or hiring trained brewmasters to make specific brews. Is this beyond the focus of DW, or is there another game I can crib from to make this fun? I'm completely open to suggestions; if anyone wants to rewrite the above move to make it more compelling, feel free!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I would think that crafting would be a lot like the wizard's ritual move. You tell the GM what you want (a magical beer that turns people blue) and then the GM tells you what it will take to get that effect (a gallon of smurf snot and a week of fermenting) once you've met those criteria you get the results you wanted.

When you conceive of a new magical beer recipe tell the GM what you want the beer to do. the GM will give you one to four of the following conditions:
-It will take days/weeks/months to brew
-It will require an exotic ingredient from _____
-It will requite a lot of money
-You can only get a portion of the effect
-The brew will also have a side effect of _____

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.
So, my (rather large at 7 players) Monday night game is moving away from 4e for various reasons, one of which is that everyone wants to sort of play a Pulpy 1930s Land of the Lost/Hollow Earth style game. I don't particularly enjoy the Inverse World stuff, so I've just talked to my players about what they would like to play, and am creating custom(ish) classes for them. To that end, does anyone know of a Pulpy/Spirit of the Century style DW hack (or even just playbooks) I could mine for ideas on Advanced Moves, etc.?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you want Hollow Earth pulp specifically, why are you using DW (which requires 30 moves per class and is designed to emulate D&D, not pulp) instead of AW (which requires 6-8 moves per class and would work okay for Hollow Earth stuff)?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you want Hollow Earth pulp specifically, why are you using DW (which requires 30 moves per class and is designed to emulate D&D, not pulp) instead of AW (which requires 6-8 moves per class and would work okay for Hollow Earth stuff)?

I'm surprised there's not a hack for this kind of game already.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doctor Epitaph posted:

Has anyone written a supplement or custom moves for, like, managing a business? I'm going to be running a game where the party is working in a brewery and it's their job to go out and find magical ingredients and recipes from abandoned brewmage towers and the like. I'd like to have some rules for when they get back home and start brewing though.

Johnstone Metzger's Dungeon World Classes has the Magnate, who's a wealthy landowner. That might be a good place to start.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Primarily because I am moving my players over from D&D, and so reskinning something from DW will be an easier transition. Plus, this particular group will want some more choice and feeling of advancement, so generating more moves (half of which they will never end up taking) will help them feel like there's more to reach for. Yes, it's stupid, but I have to engage this group in very specific ways.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Do you like dungeon world? Do you like playing dungeon world? Have I got a thread for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Well, let me rephrase the important part: writing a playbook for DW takes several days. To write a good playbook (including balancing it properly and playtesting it), you're easily looking at 3 weeks' work, per playbook. That's an absurd amount of work - you'd be much better off just using DW playbooks directly.