Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Never going to hate Ben Stiller because of The Ben Stiller Show. Never going to hate Jack Black because of HBO's Tenacious D.

This too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxfxfh9w44g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Exactly. I kinda understand people who won't let go of Kevin Smith.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Snak posted:

The idea of the dino-stampede scene isn't bad, and if it was cut down it could work okay. It's just that they spend so long running among the legs of the dinosaurs that it ceases to be a "HOLY poo poo!" moment and is more like "wow this is still going on". A stampede is not a scary thing if all you have to do to not get hurt is be a main character and keep jogging. If it was like "Oh gently caress stampede! oh poo poo guy got stepped on! Oh holy christ raptors! whew the main characters made it!" in quick succession I think it would work a lot better. Instead it's like Adrien Brody immediately adapts to running through the stampede and then is able to fight the raptors without distraction.

Jackson does the same thing in the Hobbit movies. See; barrel chase. There's a lot of 'woo what a close call' moments that work less and less the more they get shown.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Peter Jackson is a man who has never been introduced to the concept of diminishing returns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Peter Jackson is a man who has never been introduced to the concept of diminishing returns.

His pre Lord of the Rings stuff has a pretty good economy to it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it bugs me that in Peter Jackson movies, the characters appear in danger when i know they arent, unlike other movies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this roller coasters twists turns and loops are too close together imo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

His pre Lord of the Rings stuff has a pretty good economy to it.

But is it possible that is due to budgetary constraints?

Paul W.S. Anderson's pre-Resident Evil franchise films are much better because he had to work with more limitations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

But is it possible that is due to budgetary constraints?

Naaaaaaahhhhh. Something like Dead Alive certainly wasn't made on LOTR money, but for a zombie splatter movie it was very high budget, and Jackson certainly didn't seem to allow lack of funds to hold back his imagination at all.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, I don't really think "economy" when I think of Dead Alive. Stuff like the visit to the park is so goofy and digressive.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

Yeah, I don't really think "economy" when I think of Dead Alive. Stuff like the visit to the park is so goofy and digressive.

As are large parts of Heavenly Creatures, which is still his best movie.

I think the thing is that anything looks economical next to the Lord of the Rings movies.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Naaaaaaahhhhh. Something like Dead Alive certainly wasn't made on LOTR money, but for a zombie splatter movie it was very high budget, and Jackson certainly didn't seem to allow lack of funds to hold back his imagination at all.

Viggo Mortensen has been throwing shade on Jackson recently, and basically said that he's just discovered computers and allowed it to rule over his imagination.

The Lord of the Rings movies, particularly the first one, are drat near economical and tight compared to something like The Hobbit. He's done the Lucas thing and said that after LotR he wanted to go back and do a smaller movie, then came King Kong. Then he decided the 'smaller' movie was going to be The Lovely Bones which ended up as bloated as King Kong did in its own way. You give him a small budget I'm not sure Jackson would know what to do with it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Guys this is going to be a really weird and general question, so tell me if it belongs in another thread:

I was watching The Lego Movie the other day on a flight to Amsterdam, and really enjoyed it. As it was to Holland, there were Dutch subtitles. Now, there was a joke in the movie, possibly the name of something (not one of the artifacts, I don't think) based on a pun (there were probably a few), but what made me laugh was that the Dutch subtitles had a completely different pun that worked very well in that language - I don't speak Dutch, but could recognize the words. I don't think I'm going to get a chance to watch the movie with subtitles any time soon, and I know this is a loooong stretch, but does anyone have any idea what I may be talking about?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Are you looking for that specific pun? Or just general discussion on the translation of puns in subtitles/dubs? I believe the latter was discussed earlier in this very thread.

E: Re-reading, I guess you want the former. If you were to get your hands on the retail subtitles of the movie, you could probably find out that way.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Snapchat A Titty posted:

E: Re-reading, I guess you want the former. If you were to get your hands on the retail subtitles of the movie, you could probably find out that way.

Yeah - I guess I may just watch the movie again, maybe with friends, wait for the pun, and see if I can find that section in some Dutch subtitles or something.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What makes a movie a movie instead of say, multiple movies, a mini-series or a TV show?

I was listening to Filmspotting and the host talks about some Polish "movie" set in an apartment building that is in 10 parts, each about a different Commandment. How is this classed as a movie?

There are similar things in these threads all the time. People always say "x foreign movie from the 60's is an all time classic. It might be 12 hours long but I was riveted"

To me, that's not a movie. That's 4 movies with the same characters watched back to back.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dekalog is a movie. What makes a TV show a TV show? COPS is a movie but so is The Price is Right. About the only thing they have in common is that they're broken up by commercials.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Dekalog is a movie.

But it's 10 movies yeah?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My point is that it's a movie because Kieslowski says it is, even controlling for the fact that it was shot on film (plenty of exceptions), released in theatres (same here), etc. To a certain extent, I agree, you are playing along with the assertion, because you could reject it and say "well, no, it's ten movies". IIRC Matthew Barney does not consider Cremaster Cycle films because he wants to keep it exclusively in the sphere of "art exhibition". I could be misinterpreting but that's always been my understanding.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 17, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

xcore posted:

What makes a movie a movie instead of say, multiple movies, a mini-series or a TV show?

I was listening to Filmspotting and the host talks about some Polish "movie" set in an apartment building that is in 10 parts, each about a different Commandment. How is this classed as a movie?

There are similar things in these threads all the time. People always say "x foreign movie from the 60's is an all time classic. It might be 12 hours long but I was riveted"

To me, that's not a movie. That's 4 movies with the same characters watched back to back.
Words like "movie" and "game" don't have "true" definitions written down in some magical book floating off in the sky that dictionary writers can access through lucid dreaming. They're imprecise and fluid terms for clusters of things that often share a lot of stuff in common, but that don't have any precise definition the way you might precisely define a triangle as a closed shape with three sides and three corners. This means that there's no actual, "true" answer to the question "what makes a movie a movie" beyond the fact that, basically, people call it a movie.

So, the reason Dekalog is a movie is because everyone calls it a movie. Your reason for disagreement is that you think movies can't be more than X hours long, where X is something like 3 (although I suspect we could get you to budge from 3 if we pointed out, say, Schindler's List and asked you if it's a movie or a movie plus a short film). This is a requirement for movies that you've pulled straight out of your rear end, though, hoping to find confirmation from us that it or something like it is written in the magical movie sky book. But because there's no magical movie sky book, the only evidence anyone can ever give for the fact that something is or isn't a movie is that everyone calls it a movie (except I guess you).

Thus you can either shape up and call movies movies like the rest of us, or keep making up your own special rules about what gets to be a "movie" and thus keep using the English word "movie" incorrectly whenever an actual movie doesn't match up with your special rules.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is it right to say a movie used to be considered something that premiered in a theatre? Even a TV movie is specifically called a TV movie to explain that it's not a theatrical release. Nowadays there's no distinction because of the Internet but the definition could have worked for a while.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
No, because trailers premiere in theaters too (plus newsreels, back when those were a thing), and some movies never made it to theaters (like that Bill Murray one everyone is talking about lately). Like I said before, there's no magic bullet definition that lets you pick out all and only movies.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What was Quentin Tarintino up too in between Jackie Brown and Kill Bill?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He actually spent a good deal of time working on Inglorious Basterds before moving onto Kill Bill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I suspect he was doing some uncredited script work during that time too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

xcore posted:

I've had the same thought but as has been said there's no real classification. Anything over 2.5 hours I usually don't watch in one sitting due to time constraints and because it feels like a gorge. So all those 3-4 hour films I usually break up over a couple of days and I call them "two sitting films." Those 5+ hour ones become a weeklong affair:

Heimat
Berlin Alexanderplatz
Out 1, noli me tangere
Shoah
Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks
Dekalog
Sátántangó
Hitler: A Film from Germany
Vampires, Les
War and Peace
Fantomas

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

He actually spent a good deal of time working on Inglorious Basterds before moving onto Kill Bill.

Yeah, for years the news on QT was that he was working on a script about Jews hunting Nazis in WWII.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

So, the reason Dekalog is a movie is because everyone calls it a movie. Your reason for disagreement is that you think movies can't be more than X hours long, where X is something like 3 (although I suspect we could get you to budge from 3 if we pointed out, say, Schindler's List and asked you if it's a movie or a movie plus a short film). This is a requirement for movies that you've pulled straight out of your rear end, though, hoping to find confirmation from us that it or something like it is written in the magical movie sky book. But because there's no magical movie sky book, the only evidence anyone can ever give for the fact that something is or isn't a movie is that everyone calls it a movie (except I guess you).

Thus you can either shape up and call movies movies like the rest of us, or keep making up your own special rules about what gets to be a "movie" and thus keep using the English word "movie" incorrectly whenever an actual movie doesn't match up with your special rules.

I pulled nothing out of my rear end and i wasn't disagreeing with anything. I was just asking for a definition of the term. I wouldn't have thought it was that much of a stretch to think there was some "magical movie sky book" because nearly everything in this world has a definition.

I appreciate the clarification though. It's interesting that it seems to be all about what the author wants it defined as and not what we choose to define it as. I was of the thought it would be defined by some sort of international body like The Academy or Cannes or something. Does this mean that the LOTR trilogy would be classed as one movie if Peter Jackson deemed it to be? Ditto for Kill Bill etc?

The whole reason I asked this, was that Dekalog made it on to Ebert's all time Sight and Sound list and I was curious as to how it qualified. Would he have been able to nominate Band of Brothers to that list too or was there is fact, some "rules"?

I was especially confused today once someone clarified the title that it's called a movie "because everyone says it is" yet:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092337/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dekalog

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The thing that made me wonder about the definition of a "movie" recently was the most recent season of Louie with all those multi-part episodes that were essentially short films. Anyways I dunno like all genre classifications there is no hard line and there's sure to be points of disagreement, like the one you've come up with. So yeah, if you want to draw a hard line in the sand and say "by my standards that isn't a movie" then, y'know, nobody's gonna stop you.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 17, 2014

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Also, you make it sound like 3 years is a long rear end time between productions, but it really isn't. Especially considering he did his segment in Four Rooms and wrote & starred in From Duck Till Dawn.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Trump posted:

Also, you make it sound like 3 years is a long rear end time between productions, but it really isn't. Especially considering he did his segment in Four Rooms and wrote & starred in From Duck Till Dawn.

It was six years.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It was six years.

I read it as between pulp fiction and jackie brown....

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

xcore posted:

I pulled nothing out of my rear end and i wasn't disagreeing with anything. I was just asking for a definition of the term. I wouldn't have thought it was that much of a stretch to think there was some "magical movie sky book" because nearly everything in this world has a definition.

I appreciate the clarification though. It's interesting that it seems to be all about what the author wants it defined as and not what we choose to define it as. I was of the thought it would be defined by some sort of international body like The Academy or Cannes or something. Does this mean that the LOTR trilogy would be classed as one movie if Peter Jackson deemed it to be? Ditto for Kill Bill etc?

The whole reason I asked this, was that Dekalog made it on to Ebert's all time Sight and Sound list and I was curious as to how it qualified. Would he have been able to nominate Band of Brothers to that list too or was there is fact, some "rules"?

I was especially confused today once someone clarified the title that it's called a movie "because everyone says it is" yet:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092337/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dekalog

LOTR wouldn't be one movie as they each had separate credits and were released at different times. I don't know if Dekalog does.

Comparing BOB to LOTR picks up some relevant differences between film and TV:
1) Length, 2+ hours vs 50mins
2) Financing: Warner Bros (film studio) v HBO (TV channel)
3) Intended primary release: theatre vs TV.

But apart from that, on most cases you just know if something is a theatrical feature film or TV. I think that 1 and 3 above are key determinants though. There isn't a set definition.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 17, 2014

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thanks for the responses. I was just finding it hard to get my read around hearing someone say "This is my number one movie 1989" and following it up with "I have scene all 10 installments but I have only really analysed and dug deep on the first one" As someone that has never seen any of these classic epic sagas it's all new to me and I was just trying to clarify.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I suspect he was doing some uncredited script work during that time too.

Wouldn't surprise me. He that early in his career, not sure if it still continues though. He most famously worked on Crimson Tide, but it's not known if he did much else.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Trump posted:

From Duck Till Dawn.

Wanna see this movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
When did filmmakers first start making period-pastiche films? Like, we have movies nowadays that purposefully imitate, you know, film noir, or silent film, and that kind of thing. But who first went back and imitated a previous, out-dated film style?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

When did filmmakers first start making period-pastiche films? Like, we have movies nowadays that purposefully imitate, you know, film noir, or silent film, and that kind of thing. But who first went back and imitated a previous, out-dated film style?

I know Mel Brooks did Silent Movie and there was Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid but I can't think of anything earlier than those. I'm sure someone will though.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
So, I've recently been getting more into looking at film critically and am trying to write my first screenplay and I'm suddenly really regretting not talking a film history or appreciation class in college. I feel like I have some gaps in my knowledge. Does anyone know of a good book on film history that will give me a thorough background? Ideally something with a list of what films to watch for the purposes of illustrating whatever point (though that might be obvious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Watch "The Story of Film" on netflix. There's a movie list to accompany it somewhere. You really can't do much better for a free 11-hour film overview course. We were talking about it in another thread and I'll repeat my thoughts: It does a really good job of demonstrating, rather than just talking about "this movie was revolutionary. It did stuff that hadn't been done before." You'll get to see side-by-side comparisons and juxtapositions of style and all sorts of cool stuff, especially in the early parts.