Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I figured I'd just roll with my iPad, since most of the games I want to play I've got in PDF form on GoodReader anyway.

I assume text messaging still works even if all those smartphones in one place are going to be hammering the network into oblivion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Peas and Rice posted:

I figured I'd just roll with my iPad, since most of the games I want to play I've got in PDF form on GoodReader anyway.

I assume text messaging still works even if all those smartphones in one place are going to be hammering the network into oblivion?

I've never had an issue with texting or calls, but mobile data (3g/lte) was borked for me last year, and with record attendance I can't imagine it will be any better.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Texts and emails are never really an issue. I have always had issues with mobile web and sometimes making calls. Normally just stepping outside has been enough to alleviate the issues.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. Get in hurr. Populate the room.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Apologies. Here I come. And then will go to bed immediately in the way of all IRC.

Texting at Gen-Con is fine except I find 80% of the time I text someone to meet up, that person has gotten bored and left before I get there.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Awwwww yeahhhhh

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Reynold posted:

Awwwww yeahhhhh

Mine showed up today too :dance:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am going to have all my old Gen-Con badges surgically implanted under my skin so I can attend them forever

:D

My 2002 badge has Gary Gygax's signature on the back and Sid Meier's on the front. That one is going under the forehead. :c00l:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Booked my O-Dark-hundred flight (0600 Eastern) for the 13th of august, fly home on the 18th :)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I get jealous when I see your badges, but then I remember the story of my own stupidity and why I always will-call.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Bad news.

My original plan was to save money using the extra income I've been making with driving with Lyft to save up for the trip. It was going well for a few weeks, but, for the past 2 or 3 weeks, the money keeps getting less and less as there seems to be fewer and fewer passengers for me to take. I should have had $150 saved for now for food and generics during the trip, but, between that and the other costs that have popped up in the past couple of weeks, I have nothing saved up. Therefore, I am canceling my trip. It sucks, but it seems practically undoable at this point. I'm also stopping Lyft, because things have drat near dried up there, so, if I am able to get a new job soon (I actually have an interview at a no-kill shelter on Tuesday), I wouldn't be able to go anyways. I'm sad I'll miss meeting you guys and this awesome experience, but I do hope to go someday.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
HAWAII_LAME-O NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

how to use Kickstarter to help hawaii lame0

kickstarter hawaii lameo

kickstarter help gencon

WHY IS THIS SEARCH NOT WORKING

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I thought I was going to have to miss Gen Con this year, but a couple friends and I threw together a last minute roadtrip adventure plan. Only two days in Indy instead of my usual five, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

I'd be interested in a happy hour-ish meet-up in Friday, if anything goony is going on then.

It looks like the GroupMe group from last year died/disappeared, but it was really handy for keep in touch with goons during Gen Con. Any interest in getting another one of those going?

edit: We were using GroupMe in addition to IRC, since it keeps messages around and viewable even if the app is closed or you're logged out (without having to rely on hacky IRC push notifications). Good for planning meet-up logistics, as you can just occasionally check in when convenient and not miss anything important.

edit2: Just saw Lawen's post about GroupMe on page 6. So I guess count me as a yes vote for that.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 14, 2014

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Trustworthy posted:

edit: We were using GroupMe in addition to IRC, since it keeps messages around and viewable even if the app is closed or you're logged out (without having to rely on hacky IRC push notifications). Good for planning meet-up logistics, as you can just occasionally check in when convenient and not miss anything important.

edit2: Just saw Lawen's post about GroupMe on page 6. So I guess count me as a yes vote for that.

I think things like the groupme and other ways to know what goons are at the con will start to get pushed out a bit more now that we are closer (less than 30 days!) to the con. Another one for those that don't like or can't use groupme or to plan out ahead of time based on similar interests/schedule or whatever else is this spreadsheet that we used last year:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqiGU-iR_59KdDR3Z0V0OHlNWjIweUEtNDhCQ0tCOGc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Getting things like these in the OP if they are not there already should help as well.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I added myself to the spreadsheet. I'm only signed up for Netrunner stuff so I'll be pretty free for whatever from Wed - Sunday. Thursday morning I'll of course be part of the herd rushing the doors.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Added myself to the spreadsheet. Do we know if Colts Grille is doing their Wednesday night thing again? That was fun kickoff to the con.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Bad news.

My original plan was to save money using the extra income I've been making with driving with Lyft to save up for the trip. It was going well for a few weeks, but, for the past 2 or 3 weeks, the money keeps getting less and less as there seems to be fewer and fewer passengers for me to take. I should have had $150 saved for now for food and generics during the trip, but, between that and the other costs that have popped up in the past couple of weeks, I have nothing saved up. Therefore, I am canceling my trip. It sucks, but it seems practically undoable at this point. I'm also stopping Lyft, because things have drat near dried up there, so, if I am able to get a new job soon (I actually have an interview at a no-kill shelter on Tuesday), I wouldn't be able to go anyways. I'm sad I'll miss meeting you guys and this awesome experience, but I do hope to go someday.

Similarly, I don't think I'll be making it this year either. I have a place to stay but it isn't walking distance to the con and I really don't want to have to find parking every day. It also makes traveling back and forth between the con for late night gaming less viable. Maybe some random thing will happen to change that, but booooo this'll be my first time missing the con in four years.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Our group just decided this week that we're gonna go. We're pretty far out, but I think somehow closer than we were last year.

I'm down for the bar crawl on Thursday, since I'm already drunk for 4 days anyway.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Countblanc posted:

Similarly, I don't think I'll be making it this year either. I have a place to stay but it isn't walking distance to the con and I really don't want to have to find parking every day. It also makes traveling back and forth between the con for late night gaming less viable. Maybe some random thing will happen to change that, but booooo this'll be my first time missing the con in four years.

You could stay with us if you don't mind sleeping on the floor. We're at the Marriott across the street. I'll ask my buddy but I don't think he'd mind. The only problem would be extra keys - not sure how they handle that.

I'm the dude that bought Mage Wars from you last year. Maybe we would even play it for a change!

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 14, 2014

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Kaddish posted:

I added myself to the spreadsheet. I'm only signed up for Netrunner stuff so I'll be pretty free for whatever from Wed - Sunday. Thursday morning I'll of course be part of the herd rushing the doors.

What Netrunner stuff are you in for? There's a casual game session someone from Reddit is running on Friday at 5, as well as nationals.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kaddish posted:

You could stay with us if you don't mind sleeping on the floor. We're at the Marriott across the street. I'll ask my buddy but I don't think he'd mind. The only problem would be extra keys - not sure how they handle that.

I generally go with a group, I don't know how many people would be involved but it'd probably be like 3-5. Not really viable to just leech of someone else's room, haha. It just isn't a financial option for me to make the trip by myself, it's a 5 hour drive and gas ain't cheap.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

saint gerald posted:

What Netrunner stuff are you in for? There's a casual game session someone from Reddit is running on Friday at 5, as well as nationals.

I'm doing the casuals and the tournament. I have no doubt I'll be knocked out in the first round but hell, why not.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Kaddish posted:

I'm doing the casuals and the tournament. I have no doubt I'll be knocked out in the first round but hell, why not.

Which flight for the tournament?

I also signed up for a draft gamer on Saturday at 10. I think I'm going to run out of Netrunner energy somewhere in all that, though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

saint gerald posted:

Which flight for the tournament?

I also signed up for a draft gamer on Saturday at 10. I think I'm going to run out of Netrunner energy somewhere in all that, though.

Flight 1. Thursday 11:00AM.

Kind of a crappy starting time since that takes away from dealer hall extravaganza but I really don't think I'll make it far in the tournament and I just want to pick up a couple of things in the beginning rush anyway.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
So wait what do I put into GroupMe? Was this already answered earlier in the thread? I do not know how to read though so someone please speak it out loud to me

Also c'mon everybody add yourselves to this spreadsheet, it was awesome last year and may have actually worked exactly as intended:

Also anyone on the fence about coming, I will personally talk you into attending. It is on now.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I have added my info. I am ready to do things.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Okay, so, after doing some recalculation, it might be doable after all, so we shall see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Since we are less than a month away it's time for my standard post of I am an Indianapolis local. If any of you guys are getting here early or need a ride on Wednesday let me know and I will see what I can do. Also if you are wanting idea of places to eat while dodging the bulk of the con goers or just wanting to try some local favorites feel free to ask.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Okay, so, after doing some recalculation, it might be doable after all, so we shall see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
YES THAT IS RIGHT, IT IS DOABLE

Backno posted:

Since we are less than a month away it's time for my standard post of I am an Indianapolis local. If any of you guys are getting here early or need a ride on Wednesday let me know and I will see what I can do. Also if you are wanting idea of places to eat while dodging the bulk of the con goers or just wanting to try some local favorites feel free to ask.
I had no idea you were a local, somehow. Do you know if the Colts Grille is doing trivia again? Probably you know no more than the webpage, haha.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I am in the chat, chatting with other Gen Con hopefuls. Come chat.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Quarex, how we can hire this mystical chickencarriage for goondrinking?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

saint gerald posted:

Chicken Limo is for scrubs.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

saint gerald posted:

http://chickenlimo.com/

Yes I know you are asking more than this

$75 hourly for Wednesday or Thursday, $85 for Friday-Sunday. Though it is $100 if you only do one hour.

LEATHER SEATING FOR 8, COOLERS WITH ICE, LOADED IPOD TOUCH

Wait, hold the phone

Hippo Party Bus ... and ... COMING SOON, THE DRAGON WAGON

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The name alone makes it even more appropriate for a goon gathering.

EDIT: Tell them no bubble machine, no dice though. We roll hard if we're going to be rolling Hippo Bus deep.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 16, 2014

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
This is always an option if enough people are interested. http://www.handlebarindy.com/

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Less than a month! I barely did anything last year except eat, drink and walk around, but I'm still really jazzed to come and see the sights anyway. Me and the ~boyfriend~ are going to be in Indy Wednesday night through Sunday, and if nothing else I'll probably hang out in whatever chat app is in use this year.

I once again decided not to cosplay, mostly out of laziness and indecision. One of these years, maybe...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Backno posted:

This is always an option if enough people are interested. http://www.handlebarindy.com/

This thing is always hilarious to see because it hauls rear end early on in the day and drags rear end later when everyone is drunk and half the people aren't pedalling.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
USPS lost my passes. :gonk:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Deathlove posted:

USPS lost my passes. :gonk:

At least you have time to get them replaced. Let the Gen Con people know and they should be able to get you sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Backno posted:

At least you have time to get them replaced. Let the Gen Con people know and they should be able to get you sorted.

They said I have to pick them up at Customer Service come con-time. At least they credited the $10 delivery fee.

• Locked thread