Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Defending in Napoleon is hilarious. Set up your cannons with a good view of the enemy, hide your skirmishers in the grass next to them, and wait for the fun to begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

rt4 posted:

Defending in Napoleon is hilarious. Set up your cannons with a good view of the enemy, hide your skirmishers in the grass next to them, and wait for the fun to begin.

My favorite TW battle ever was in Napoleon.
I had two actual line infantry units, one militia unit, and 3 or 4 of the "town watch" units that spawn on defense against a full stack of AI attackers with cannons, cavalry, and line infantry. I built little trench defenses on top of a slight hill. Their artillery inflicted minimal casualties, the balls bouncing harmlessly off the trenches. Cavalry charged from behind, getting destroyed by stakes.

Being up on a hill and behind cover, I wrecked the attackers by cycling out all my units based on morale and ammunition. Eventually, there were 2 or 3 bedraggled units completely without ammunition that had ran off all the infantry, and were left to trudge across the map to go bayonet the 2 or 3 remaining artillery crews. It was awesome, and probably the most extreme imbalance of force in any battle that I ended up actually winning.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Napoleon has really fun battles but the campaign felt really watered down and unchallenging compared to Medieval 2 and the first Rome

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I can't get myself interested enough to install Napoleon over Empire, the campaigns just can't compare.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Blasphemy.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The best battle I ever had in Napoleon was taking Corsica (of all places) from the Ottomans. I was Russia and it was their last territory left on the map, and I was sick of dealing with their bullshit so I just sent one of my 15 armies there to take it. They had an army full of sword units and missile cav, so I decided to actually play the battle, just to relax. My unicorn guns smashed a whole in the corner of the fort and I charged in with almost my entire force. I also forgot to tell the artillery to stop firing at the enemy. At the end of the battle I'd lost about 800 troops, while the Ottomans only had about 200 kills.

Seriously though, if you play as Russia in that game your armies kind of suck a bit, so if you want to reliably win an autoresolve battle against an enemy stack (and the enemy is capable of building proper armies in that game), it encourages you to maintain these teams or packs of multiple stacks working together. It's awesome. I know the game may seem limited (it is) or the diplomacy unusually broken (it is), but the way it's set up between France and everyone else guarantees the game will always be challenging. The AI can genuinely take over the map if you let it, and the player really has to fight for every inch. Also the siege battles turn into normal battles unless the town in question has a fort built, which they generally don't, so there's that.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Rabhadh posted:

I can't get myself interested enough to install Napoleon over Empire, the campaigns just can't compare.

while the map overall in Empire is bigger with the addition of America and India, I'm pretty sure the Europe in Napoleon is larger than the Europe in Empire.

That goddamn one province France in empire :argh:

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 17, 2014

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I've felt this way as well. I wish there was a Grand Campaign in Napoleon instead of the scenarios. Basically I want the Empire Grand Campaign to play like Napoleon.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
drat you guys, you got me to install Napoleon again. I do like the Empire campaign better, with America and India, but Napoleon is just a better game.

Are there any recommended mods for Napoleon? Trawling the TWCenter forums is just horrible, and most unit mods add in like 600 units all over the place. That's a bit over the top, surely.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nash posted:

I've felt this way as well. I wish there was a Grand Campaign in Napoleon instead of the scenarios. Basically I want the Empire Grand Campaign to play like Napoleon.

There is, you've just got to unlock it by completing two campaigns that serve as long tutorials.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mock and Droll posted:

drat you guys, you got me to install Napoleon again. I do like the Empire campaign better, with America and India, but Napoleon is just a better game.

Are there any recommended mods for Napoleon? Trawling the TWCenter forums is just horrible, and most unit mods add in like 600 units all over the place. That's a bit over the top, surely.

I personally think Napoleon's fine without mods.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Napoleon is pretty much one of the tighter visual and sound designed games they have done, and unless you really are hardcore Napoleonic era sperging you don't really need much mods. If you want to try something different though, The Lordz who did the Napoleonic modding for Medieval 1 and RTW have done their own version of NTW and there are some very interesting tweaks and mechanics to the combat side of thing.

Though it depends really how patient you want to be coping with some of the changes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I really wish someone like Feral Interactive or whoever would port Medieval 2 for the Mac. Almost every other game in the series is available for the Mac now and I love Napoleon but there is nothing like M2TW especially with all the super detailed mods people made for it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I really wish someone like Feral Interactive or whoever would port Medieval 2 for the Mac. Almost every other game in the series is available for the Mac now and I love Napoleon but there is nothing like M2TW especially with all the super detailed mods people made for it.

I just picked that back up and installed Stainless Steel again - haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but it feels good to have it on my new computer again.
You might try playing it in Wine, depending on your hardware. I know gaming in a virtual machine is sketchy, but Medieval 2's pretty old, so...

I'm also reinstalling Empire. Is Darthmod still the du jour "Empire but better" mod like SS is for Medieval 2, or is there something better?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The few contenders that tried to step up with DarthMod have sadly either gone under and are no longer supported or broken by recent patches.

DarthMod is the only minor improvement choice on the ETW Mod market now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

The few contenders that tried to step up with DarthMod have sadly either gone under and are no longer supported or broken by recent patches.

DarthMod is the only minor improvement choice on the ETW Mod market now.

Shame. Makes my job easier, but isn't the guy who does the Darthmods kind of batshit? I've been away from Total War from a while, but I seem to recall hearing about him having some sort of flameout.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

He was a bit bat poo poo crazy like all overblow modders, after the Total War Center forums drama not getting invite to a Modder meet up he told everyone to gently caress themselves and went and made this game instead.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of overblow modders, I just noticed that Europa Barborum 2 is apparently still in development for Medieval 2. Man, I really liked EB1, but it's mildly depressing/unsettling to see that EB2 is both not yet finished and still not abandoned after all these years.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I didn't understand Napoleon (the character) in N:TW. I was playing as Russia and flooded Europe with Bolshevik Fury and came head to head against France. I destroyed the poo poo out of France but Napoleon kept coming at me and I beat him like 5 times with him retreating. So I decided, okay, I'll make an army of mostly cavalry and run that short gently caress down like an escaped slave.

I ended up surrounding his command unit with gunpowder cavalry and heavy cavalry, and ended up firing a few volleys at him, then sending in heavy cavalry to keep him occupied. The gunpowder killed like 80% of his command unit, my melee cavalry killed the rest. But Napoleon survived and started running.

He headed towards my 2 units of infantry and 3 units of artillery. The artillery nailed him a few times with cannon/explosive shot. Survived. He ran right into a unit of line infantry, and they opened fire. ~60 shots fired, he kept running. He ran right through the line infantry, and knocked over two of them on his way out. He ran towards my artillery so I set them all to do anti-infantry shots, and aimed them at him. All 3 fired, a lot of them hit him. He survived. Knocked over an artilleryman and killed him somehow.

From that point on I just decided to continue my Bolshevik strategy and flood all of Europe with Russian beards and bullets, since Napoleon was an unkillable bullet-deflecting rear end in a top hat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think Napoleon (understandibly) is coded to be the luckiest General in the game. His luck can be quite helpful in the early parts of the smaller contained campaigns now.

Also, the dude didn't quit that easy in real life either.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
What happened to Imperial Splendor for Empire? I remember that being the go to mod for Empire back when I played it a lot a few years ago.

How long did EB1 take to develop? It's pretty crazy that EB2 for M2TW has taken this long.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

He was a bit bat poo poo crazy like all overblow modders, after the Total War Center forums drama not getting invite to a Modder meet up he told everyone to gently caress themselves and went and made this game instead.

This looks pretty cool, though I'm not really that interested in the US Civil War. But I love the style and the battles look very fluid.

What was the drama?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Earwicker posted:

This looks pretty cool, though I'm not really that interested in the US Civil War. But I love the style and the battles look very fluid.

What was the drama?

Basically Creative Assembley hosted a modders conference to announce opening up Shogun 2's tools and telling the modders of the whole TW community about the future game (Rome 2's) much more fluid mod tools as well.

They didn't invite Darth to it though. He acted as well as you'd think.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Basically Creative Assembley hosted a modders conference to announce opening up Shogun 2's tools and telling the modders of the whole TW community about the future game (Rome 2's) much more fluid mod tools as well.

They didn't invite Darth to it though. He acted as well as you'd think.

Understandable that he'd be upset considering his contribution.(making Empire not suck)

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Mustang posted:

What happened to Imperial Splendor for Empire? I remember that being the go to mod for Empire back when I played it a lot a few years ago.

How long did EB1 take to develop? It's pretty crazy that EB2 for M2TW has taken this long.

The first release was a bit over a year from the RTW release, IIRC. I'm not that surprised there hasn't been a release of EBII, more in that they've been able to keep it chugging along, I'm fairly certain everyone from the original team has long retired, and I don't think people who know how/want to script for MTWII are all that common.

This makes me realise I've been loosely following EB development for nearly decade, from the beginning in long petitions to CA to change the "biker barbarians" prior to release, up to what will hopefully be the first release next month.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Mustang posted:

IS is still good, they released a late campaign beta which is also quite good. After playing darthmod for a while I came to the realisation that I prefer IS

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

IS is still good, they released a late campaign beta which is also quite good. After playing darthmod for a while I came to the realisation that I prefer IS

What exactly are the differences? I haven't installed Darth yet, so if IS is better I might do that instead.

Edit: I've also been getting into Rome 2 for the first time lately. Was enjoying it well enough, then I installed the original Rome music mod. Maybe it's just nostalgia but holy poo poo that soundtrack is so much better than the original one - and I didn't even mind the original music.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 18, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
IS is more focused, Darthmod is a splurge of ideas thrown together. As an example, if you play Persians in IS you get these great historically accurate camel gunners, which is a very light cannon mounted on top of a camel. They have good range and you'll use them a lot until you can get regular cannons. The Persians in Darthmod have 300 style immortals.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I see.

In other news, I'd heard the siege AI in Rome 2 was bad, but, uh, wow. I've got it going on in triple-speed in another window, and I'm about 20 minutes into the 'battle.' Aside from chasing off my attempt to pick off some stragglers with my cavalry and running their first wave of ladders to the wall to get chopped up by my principes, the AI's spent the past 20 minutes just...standing there. Indecisively forming and reforming its battle lines. Not even doing me the courtesy of standing where my towers and velites can take shots at them. Mind, it's not like past Total Wars haven't just had armies forget what they were doing and stand around absentmindedly outside your walls, but still...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Earwicker posted:

What was the drama?

It rules, it is a very good game.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Steam is currently downloading a 10 GB patch for Medieval II Total War (and there's another patch queued up for RTW). Does anyone know what this is?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ChaosSamusX posted:

Steam is currently downloading a 10 GB patch for Medieval II Total War (and there's another patch queued up for RTW). Does anyone know what this is?

Nope! Also not the first time RTW has received a GB+ patch in recent months. It's pretty weird, I can't find anything about them anywhere.

Maybe they're building MP campaigns for the older games? :dong:

E: Nope, Gamespy removal.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 22, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That's really nice that they're actually bothering to do gamespy removal on a game that's almost 8 years old.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
So uh, does the gamespy removal effect any of my mods installed?

It seems like it's seriously reinstalling all the games. :confused:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I was just playing and mods seemed fine.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Does anyone have a No Agents mod for Rome II?

I'm playing CIG at the moment and every campaign on hard has devolved into stalling on cities as every turn, enemy agents appear and sabotage my construction. Every turn is 5 attempts per enemy agent to convert them. I have like 50 loving agents as Rome from coercing AI agents. It is terrible, awful, embarrassing game design and ruins the campaign.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm on my phone right now but look for my posts in this thread or the Rome 2 thread with my mod collection, one of them is a reduced agent spam mod, they will no longer gang up on you and in all likelihood won't do anything to you at all.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There's also a version that removes them entirely if you want. Just search for them in the steam workshop.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imapanda posted:

So uh, does the gamespy removal effect any of my mods installed?

It seems like it's seriously reinstalling all the games. :confused:

They had to recompile the exes. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Rome Total War on Steam needs the launch options changed, the same as ever.
Medieval 2 now requires you to edit launch options, it's not difficult, just odd if you haven't done it before.
Right click Medieval 2, note that Kingdoms is no longer a separate thing in your library.
You should be able to pick properties from the bar that just appeared, this brings up a window with a button called "set launch options." Click this now.
It will bring up a smaller window with a text box, now paste "--features.mod=mods/Conquest" into it and replace Conquest with the name of the folder of the mod you want to play. Now you start up Medieval 2 and choose Medieval 2, not any of the Kingdoms campaigns.
Simple!