Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ploof
Jun 5, 2007
Hey, a friend wants my help building him a new PC. The maximum budget is ~$800.00 but there might be a hundred bucks of wiggle room. If it really makes sense to wait and save up another few hundred bucks I'd appreciate that advice too because I'm sure he'd rather have another PC that lasts more than a few years. He will be re-using his monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and other peripherals, but needs a new disc drive because he still wants to burn DVD and CD media. He wants to add a solid-state HD later on when he can afford it, and I'm a little confused about whether the mSATA SSD's recommended here are compatible with the mATX motherboard I've selected. The last time I built a PC from scratch was seven years ago following the advice from an older iteration of this thread. It's still going strong and I haven't had trouble with new games on mediocre settings! Here is the parts list I've selected based on reading the front page's posts. Thanks in advance for any advice!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($75.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($215.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $794.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

everythingWasBees posted:

My Laptop seems to be heading towards an early death, so I'm thinking of getting a desktop. The budget is probably gonna be about 1-1.2k. The computer is going to be primarily used for programming, word processing, and watching videos. There will be some casual gaming, with a focus on fighting games (Skullgirls,) and in terms of other games, being able to play open-world games on medium quality would be nice, but not necessary. I might, however, be using the computer for CAD programs in the future. I also need to purchase a keyboard, and will likely purchase a mechanical one, so anywhere from 100-150 can be expected to go to that.

I have no idea what I'm doing, so here's what I have so far:
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: AMD 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($38.25 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: ViewSonic VA2249S 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $839.17

Change the memory to some other brand (you're just paying for the letters "AMD" on that), change your case to match your motherboard (MATX), you can probably change your optical drive to any $20 lite on/ samsung / whatever brand.

You don't have a video card but the iGPU on the cpu might be able to handle what you're looking for. Pick the most graphically intense game you want to play and Google it with "benchmark" and "igpu" or "hd4600" to see if it gets acceptable frame rates.

Don't know anything about that monitor. I haven't had a viewsonic since a 15" CRT, you brought back some memories. But if that's not the best for the dollar there will be plenty others in the 21.5" range.

A lot of the important choices here are good ones though

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ploof posted:

Hey, a friend wants my help building him a new PC. The maximum budget is ~$800.00 but there might be a hundred bucks of wiggle room. If it really makes sense to wait and save up another few hundred bucks I'd appreciate that advice too because I'm sure he'd rather have another PC that lasts more than a few years. He will be re-using his monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and other peripherals, but needs a new disc drive because he still wants to burn DVD and CD media. He wants to add a solid-state HD later on when he can afford it, and I'm a little confused about whether the mSATA SSD's recommended here are compatible with the mATX motherboard I've selected. The last time I built a PC from scratch was seven years ago following the advice from an older iteration of this thread. It's still going strong and I haven't had trouble with new games on mediocre settings! Here is the parts list I've selected based on reading the front page's posts. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)

That's a good deal on the 760 but understand its a little lower than normal, and that deal ends tomorrow. Not to say another sale won't pop up though. Overall it's hard to improve on this build for $800 so I'd say you're good to go imo. If there anything to save a little money for here it's a SSD but that is always something you can add. I personally prefer the 770/280x level for pleasing 1080p performance but that is just me. Usually that's a small step up from a 760, but this is a nice price so its harder to push

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

Change the memory to some other brand (you're just paying for the letters "AMD" on that), change your case to match your motherboard (MATX), you can probably change your optical drive to any $20 lite on/ samsung / whatever brand.

You don't have a video card but the iGPU on the cpu might be able to handle what you're looking for. Pick the most graphically intense game you want to play and Google it with "benchmark" and "igpu" or "hd4600" to see if it gets acceptable frame rates.

Don't know anything about that monitor. I haven't had a viewsonic since a 15" CRT, you brought back some memories. But if that's not the best for the dollar there will be plenty others in the 21.5" range.

A lot of the important choices here are good ones though

I knew I was forgetting something. The HD4600 seems to be a downgrade from the card I have in my laptop, which was a budget buy, so I might pick up a better card.

Is the Cooler Master N200 an example of you get what you pay for, or is it on par with some of the more expensive cases?

ploof
Jun 5, 2007
Thanks for the advice. Is the performance boost of a 770 really a big deal for 1080p gaming? My homie doesn't have a fancy monitor but I'm willing to bet that 1080 is his resolution as it is widescreen and only a few years old, probably a TN panel garbage buy from Costco. Regardless, he may upgrade later. I also don't understand the "770/280x" reference. What's the 280x about?

Also, what's the deal with mSATA compatibility between the mATX motherboard I chose and an inevitable SSD down the line?

Thanks again.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I knew I was forgetting something. The HD4600 seems to be a downgrade from the card I have in my laptop, which was a budget buy, so I might pick up a better card.

Is the Cooler Master N200 an example of you get what you pay for, or is it on par with some of the more expensive cases?

Fortunately most everything you will see will be better than that, although it is a significant additional expense. I've heard people recommend the N200 for budget cases. I'm probably not the best person to ask about cases, I do tend to go for the bare minimum required. You may be sacrificing convenience in cable management and things like that, and there are definitely plenty of garbage cases out there, but at least that isn't one of them. Someone else will have to chime in though

ploof posted:

Thanks for the advice. Is the performance boost of a 770 really a big deal for 1080p gaming? My homie doesn't have a fancy monitor but I'm willing to bet that 1080 is his resolution as it is widescreen and only a few years old, probably a TN panel garbage buy from Costco. Regardless, he may upgrade later. I also don't understand the "770/280x" reference. What's the 280x about?

Also, what's the deal with mSATA compatibility between the mATX motherboard I chose and an inevitable SSD down the line?

Thanks again.

No, the 760 level of performance (whether a 760 or AMD equivalent) is generally considered best performance for the dollar before you really start seeing diminishing returns. I personally like to max out all the settings I can at the resolution I'm at which won't play nicely in some cases. If you know the most intense game he might play now I'd just google some benchmarks see if its at a good level for him. Or if you're already pretty certain he isn't a max everything sort of guy a 760 is probably 100% appropriate (and again that is a good price)

By 770/280x I mean GTX 770 or AMD R9 280x which are competing cards at that level.

Sorry dont know about msata, at least well enough for concrete info here someone else will need to say

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
For editing video with Adobe Premiere, what's going to be more important - hyperthreading in the CPU, or a faster video card?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

The N200 is a great case at its price point. I was too lazy to make the 24-pin connector fit behind the motherboard since it would take effort to flatten it with ties,but I was able to manage every other cable. The included case fans are a tiny bit noisy but not too bad. If you can afford another $15-30 in your budget you can get better cases, but its not a bad one at all.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

drat NIGGA posted:

The N200 is a great case at its price point. I was too lazy to make the 24-pin connector fit behind the motherboard since it would take effort to flatten it with ties,but I was able to manage every other cable. The included case fans are a tiny bit noisy but not too bad. If you can afford another $15-30 in your budget you can get better cases, but its not a bad one at all.

Do you have any recommendations? All the other ones (besides the Corsair with the red LEDs, which is just kinda really gaudy) in the OP were about 100 dollars, and most of them lacked a third usb port, which is necessary for the fight stick.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The Lord Bude posted:

why would you do this? It's a waste of energy. Good power supplies are cheap enough that unless you're on an absolute poverty budget you shouldn't be buying less than 80+ gold. It's the environmentally responsible thing to do.

The efficiency curve on even a gold PSU means that it's going to be less efficient near full draw than a slightly lower quality PSU sitting comfortably in the middle of its capacity.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

The Dark One posted:

The efficiency curve on even a gold PSU means that it's going to be less efficient near full draw than a slightly lower quality PSU sitting comfortably in the middle of its capacity.

Not true in most cases for gold vs bronze.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Walliard posted:

How much of a hassle is it to transfer a Win7 license to a new system? I likely won't be using the old system anymore so I wouldn't mind saving money that way.

I was worried about this too, but mine transferred with zero issues - I didn't even have to call or anything, the product key just worked. I have an OEM disk that I used to originally install Win 7 ~5 years ago (and again ~3 years ago when I bought a new SSD), and with this latest installation everything was new except the video card and my media drives.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Sprite141 posted:

So one of my professors is planning on building a custom PC for his projects, with a budget of 1000-1200 dollars. It'll definitely be used for data acquisition, as well as matlab, pro-engineering, ect. I would simply pick out the parts myself, but I'm not accustomed to what would be necessary for that kind of work. I mean, I know a powerful processor and a poo poo ton of ram are vital, but would a graphics card even be necessary? I'd like to use an SSD as well, but larger ones can be super expensive and I don't think it'll fit in the budget.

I think you're set with a powerful CPU and RAM. CPU will improve performance of programs like Matlab and a lot of stats/analytics programs use in-memory solutions where 16+ GB of ram is just handy when handling large data sets.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Do you have any recommendations? All the other ones (besides the Corsair with the red LEDs, which is just kinda really gaudy) in the OP were about 100 dollars, and most of them lacked a third usb port, which is necessary for the fight stick.

poo poo, sorry I was remembering prices wrong. I couldn't come up with anything for under 80-90 and with 3 front USB. The N200 should be fine though, the front USB on that is 1x3.0 and 2x2.0.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Okay evidently according to my lovely Google-fu this isn't possible but I bought the Windows 8.1 OEM version with my new build I just did (as it was recommended in the OP and other places). I got everything, built the computer up, it all works great, but then when I try to install windows it pops up for the product key and I go to look for it and lo and behold THERE ISNT ONE!!! Now, I had no loving clue with OEM meant when I got it and now have a better grasp on what it means after a ton of research, but my question to you SHSC is: am I hosed?

How can I get this up and running? I've found stuff online that talks about using a generic key to get it going and then finding a product key in the BIOS but I have no idea why one would be there since I bought all of these parts from multiple vendors. Any nudge in the right direction to get this thing up and running would be great, as I've spent way too much drat time beating my head against this and just want to see the damned thing up and running.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I assure you there is a product key in the packaging somewhere.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

beejay posted:

I assure you there is a product key in the packaging somewhere.

Hmm, just woke my wife up to look since I couldn't find it and sure enough....it is! But evidently I'm not retarded, I'm just blind. It's written in tiny black thin lettering over dark blue background and I literally couldn't (and still can't) see it. Guess it's time to invest in glasses :smith:

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
Well, let's try PCPartPicker part list then. Don't care about overclocking, not going over 1920x1080, no current plans for multiple monitors, and I'm not looking to fully max out the newest AAA shooters or render/create stuff. Immediate future looks like dota 2 and videos. If it's relevant, I don't like regularly replacing my system, likely be using this for a decade with minor upgrades:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1179.88

No idea what I'm doing with motherboards, and Geforce make and power supply are very iffy too. It's an mATX board only because I was looking at a micro case before, dunno if it's ideal for the super cool enthoo pro - I do like its ps2 port for my favorite cheap keyboard, though I understand using a usb adaptor plug instead shouldn't be noticeable? Also have no idea if >1600 RAM would have an appreciable effect considering the rest of the system and my fairly casual use, but if so I'd prefer a board with the eventual upgrade option, as I'll still be using this machine when it becomes dirt cheap. PSU seems like overkill but I'd like it to be modular. Zero interest in AMD cards, I've had too much trouble with radeon drivers.

Also, is this sort of adaptor all I'd need to transfer from my current HDD to the new one?

e: I'm cool with saving money but the current price is fine, wouldn't mind going a little over. :10bux: more now is better than a headache later.

OG17 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 17, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

tokyosexwale posted:

Speaking of cases. I decided to change my case around again to the Nanoxia NXDS5W because of the talk about how nice the quality it is and the sound dampening the case provides. It also looks really sharp. I guess my question is to I have the correct kind of CPU cooler to complement my CPU choice? Am I going to have in cooling issues my GPU and case considered?

Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.32 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Nanoxia NXDS5W ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($86.50 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($155.43 @ Amazon)
Total: $1366.82

All good, although that case is larger than you need... You'd still fit everything into the smaller and cheaper deep silence 1.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ripley posted:

I've been trying to put together a build for a new gaming PC, and have reached the point where I need advice from people who know more about this. The goal is really just something quieter and faster than my current machine (i7 930, GTX 480), which is about four years old and starting to get temperamental.

I'll be using it for day-to-day web browsing and gaming (mostly RPGs and action/adventure rather than bleeding-edge shooters). The display resolution will be 1680x1050 at the moment, but I'm thinking about a monitor upgrade in the next year or so. I'm not planning any major overclocking at the moment but don't want to rule it out as an option.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£48.79 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£154.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£65.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£84.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.70 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB HAWK Video Card (£215.71 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case (£64.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Silverstone 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£88.38 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£79.16 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SPRO-14025KK-RP 86.7 CFM 140mm Fan (£11.90 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SPRO-23030KK-RP 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan (£15.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1036.31

- The motherboard I know is probably overspecced, I was just taken with the feature list and the good reviews.
- I chose the CPU cooler to (hopefully) work with the motherboard - I've read that the Hyper 212 won't fit.
- I struggled to find a PSU that should a) fit the case relatively easily, b) be good quality, and c) not be unusually expensive here. A lot of the completed Prodigy builds on PCPartPicker seem to go for Corsair CXs, which doesn't help.
- I'm definitely open to a quieter alternative to the Spectre Pro fans.

How does that look? Have I made any huge mistakes?

You only need a 450w psu for a gtx760.

I've successfully used a seasonic g-650 in my prodigy.

Spectre pros are basically inaudible at lower speeds, which you can control through your motherboard...(you set a fan speed curve based on cpu temp.) alternatively if you aren't planning to use the optical drive bay for a DVD drive, consider getting a bitfenix fan controller.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ploof posted:

A nanoxia ds4 is nicer than the fractal design, and probably a little cheaper.

I think you're confused... The SSDs we recommend are regular SATA, not mSATA. mSATA is more expensive and should only be considered if you're out of sata ports, or need a really small drive to fit in a cramped environment.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If you can only afford to spend $50 on a case, the N200 is the one to get. It's better than pretty much anything else available at that price point.

It's still a cheap budget case in absolute terms though. 80 - 90 dollars would give you the pick of a couple of much nicer cases.

Commie
Sep 18, 2000
Ok, I built a computer based on the recommendations in this thread and I couldn't be happier. Now my wife needs a pcmasterrace setup. She is eagerly anticipating the new Dragon Age but after seeing the PC screens of various other games she likes she has decided that she is going to forgo getting an XB1 in favor of a PC. Her primary requirements are:
  • Can play with a controller (e.g. the 360 controller)
  • Small form factor (approximately same size as the XB1) if possible. This is not a dealbreaker.
  • Cost is not much higher than XB1.

I tried a miniITX build to explore the small form factor but, I'll be honest, I haven't scratch built a new PC in a long time and I don't feel particularly confident with my build.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: SilenX EFZ-120HA5 86.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.25 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.70 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($111.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $448.88

You'll note that there is no case or power supply as I am really not sure where to take this build.

I also have this build:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($90.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: VisionTek 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($102.63 @ Mwave)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($184.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $599.94

But it's a bit on the pricier side. I'm not sure that an ITX is going to cut it. I think a small form factor ATX build might be better? Something slim versus blocky if possible. It doesn't have to be a powerhouse right now but having room to upgrade would be good.

She isn't going to be playing Far Cry or anything super demanding aside from Dragon Age 3. It's more likely she'll dig through my steam catalog once she's done binging on DA3.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph

You could get the nanoxia ds4 which is pretty nice and has 3 usb in the front, although if you don't care about it being super quiet it doesn't seem worth twice the price over the n200. Alternatively why don't you just plug your peripherals into the rear?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Commie posted:

Ok, I built a computer based on the recommendations in this thread and I couldn't be happier. Now my wife needs a pcmasterrace setup. She is eagerly anticipating the new Dragon Age but after seeing the PC screens of various other games she likes she has decided that she is going to forgo getting an XB1 in favor of a PC. Her primary requirements are:
  • Can play with a controller (e.g. the 360 controller)
  • Small form factor (approximately same size as the XB1) if possible. This is not a dealbreaker.
  • Cost is not much higher than XB1.

I tried a miniITX build to explore the small form factor but, I'll be honest, I haven't scratch built a new PC in a long time and I don't feel particularly confident with my build.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: SilenX EFZ-120HA5 86.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.25 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.70 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($111.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $448.88

You'll note that there is no case or power supply as I am really not sure where to take this build.

I also have this build:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($90.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: VisionTek 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($102.63 @ Mwave)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($184.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $599.94

But it's a bit on the pricier side. I'm not sure that an ITX is going to cut it. I think a small form factor ATX build might be better? Something slim versus blocky if possible. It doesn't have to be a powerhouse right now but having room to upgrade would be good.

She isn't going to be playing Far Cry or anything super demanding aside from Dragon Age 3. It's more likely she'll dig through my steam catalog once she's done binging on DA3.

Gigabyte motherboards are bad,you don't really need an aftermarket cooler for a budget build and an i3, don't get AMD CPUs, read the OP.

Mini-itx is going to cost more and will run hotter, and unless you get a $100 case, videocards might have trouble fitting in.

This is the cheapest I could do and there's no CD-Rom (not that you need that). Also factor in the cost of Windows.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $564.92

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Seagate 3TB GoFlex external hard drive that I use for data storage, and it's powering off randomly. I think this is because the enclosure uses a swappable adapter for USB 3.0/Firewire/eSATA, and the swapping attachment is getting loose.

The drive was purchased during holiday 2011 when I had been workstation laptop only for 7 years. Six months later, I transitioned to desktop + ultrabook and I can't imagine changing for many years. My thinking is to remove the 3TB HDD from the enclosure, use it in my desktop as an internal HDD, then buy a 2TB USB-powered portable HDD as a replacement. It would have the advantage of (obviously) being portable and not needing power, something I can stash away and just bring out once a month to update my backups, and while I'll be losing space vs >3TB external, it should be more than enough for my important personal data; HD videos and FLAC music can always be replaced.

Does this make sense, or is there some other setup I should be considering? This basic Seagate 2TB is $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178474

Alternatively, Seagate's higher end Backup Plus Slim 2TB, which gets great reviews, is $110 from them directly: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/standard/backup-plus/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 17, 2014

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Commie posted:

[*]Can play with a controller (e.g. the 360 controller)

You probably already know this, but, the 360 pad is now well established as the standard PC controller. Every version of Windows from Vista up has the drivers built in and many, many games detect it and configure the buttons automatically, console ports are usually near identical in their control schemes so it's an easy transition. You also don't need to buy any special kind of 360 pad, wired models can plug straight in and wireless just need the wireless gaming receiver accessory (which supports multiple pads).

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well yeah, for the performance-oriented direction of this thread, Mini-ITX generally costs more for less expandability (notably RAM, you probably won't ever use 2 video cards) and not much space savings. Like you could go Mini-ITX and get the performance oriented BitFenix Prodigy, but the Xigmatek Aquilla isn't much bigger (though it is, for now, more expensive).

The one reason I can think of would be if you really want your own Steambox "smaller than an Xbox One" PC, using one of these two SilverStone cases:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8CIZYS/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3EKXDE/

Which are made to fit basically a Mini-ITX board with a low-profile CPU cooler (stock or otherwise), dual-slot video card, SFX PSU, hard drive, SSD, and slim optical drive and nothing else.

The way they just intake air from outside directly into the hot components (PSU, CPU, and Video Card) means they get very good cooling for their volume, if they just had filtered fan intakes I would consider them. Well I guess you could get some magnetic filters if they are the right size....

From a few pages back, but I bought the first case here. I say get one of these if you really really want a gaming HTPC or steam machine sort of build, but that's it. I wouldn't use this case for a primary computer. I wasn't a fan of the build quality or how tight the 90 degree GPU bracket was in the case. I felt like I would damage the motherboard or PCI riser wrestling the bracket in and out of the case.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So how much of a hassle is using a bluray drive to watch movies? I'm trying to figure out if I should just get a standalone player to plug into my monitor. I'd really like the convenience of not having to swap out HDMI cables, but blech. It seems so unappealing to have to buy software in addition to the actual drive.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Stan Taylor posted:

So how much of a hassle is using a bluray drive to watch movies? I'm trying to figure out if I should just get a standalone player to plug into my monitor. I'd really like the convenience of not having to swap out HDMI cables, but blech. It seems so unappealing to have to buy software in addition to the actual drive.

Rip them using makemkv, free in beta

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

HalloKitty posted:

Rip them using makemkv, free in beta

Will that let me watch bonus features and commentary tracks and the like?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Stan Taylor posted:

Will that let me watch bonus features and commentary tracks and the like?

You can rip those, but I'm not going to lie, it gets a bit messy.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Looking to build a Mid Tower gaming/multimedia PC around $1000. For gaming but I also do some video encoding. Wanted a Core i7 for the hyperthreading. How did I do? I already have 8GB of DDR3 1600, and a 1TB storage drive, so that's why there's no ram or storage there.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($62.99 @ Mwave)

Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm  Fan ($22.95 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($22.95 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1238.82

Also I did find better deals on the CPU and GPU than the prices there. I found a 4790k for $279.99 and GTX 770 for $269.99.

So that makes it $1128.82 total.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 17, 2014

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Stan Taylor posted:

It looks like a blueray drive costs the same a standalone player. If you're just looking for a way to play blueray disks I'd go with the standalone player, I'd only through the trouble of installing a drive if you want to rip your movies. You can always get a cheap 2x1 HDMI switch from Amazon or Monoprice so you don't have to actually switch the cables.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
I'm back home for summer vacation and my parents both need new PCs, especially my dad since his old XP system has been running on fumes for years. I figure I'll build a pair of new systems with SSDs, which would probably make their day-to-day computer use a lot more pleasant.

Reliability is the priority over performance, since neither of them play any games. My mom uses dual 1080p monitors for work, though. Would an i3's integrated video suffice? Or can I go further down the Intel model range and still get good efficiency and video quality? Will I need to look for a specific motherboard with 2 HDMI outputs?

Also, are there any sort of issues with motherboards with integrated Wifi or should I get an internal card instead?

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Anyone use one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/desktop-compu...n-20&ascsubtag=

Basically it's a little drawer to replace a slot of an optical drive, for storing little things like USB Flash Drives, adapters, etc. Is this one any good for $9.00?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Anyone use one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/desktop-compu...n-20&ascsubtag=

Basically it's a little drawer to replace a slot of an optical drive, for storing little things like USB Flash Drives, adapters, etc. Is this one any good for $9.00?

I got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817995094

It's awesome! I went for this one after reading some reviews about others not opening/closing great. This one's been fine - has one of those spring/click in place things for opening and closing, and comes with a little optional tray for screws and such. Goes OK with my white case, comes in black too. I'm a lot more pleased than I should be to have a drawer in my computer.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Wowporn posted:

You could get the nanoxia ds4 which is pretty nice and has 3 usb in the front, although if you don't care about it being super quiet it doesn't seem worth twice the price over the n200. Alternatively why don't you just plug your peripherals into the rear?
I completely forgot that that was a thing that desktops did.

Here's the current, revised list. The Motherboard has 4 RAM slots in case I ever need to increase the RAM.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.62 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS07B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.67 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: ViewSonic VA2349S 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($161.31 @ Amazon)
Total: $999.51

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Brain Issues posted:

Looking to build a Mid Tower gaming/multimedia PC around $1000. For gaming but I also do some video encoding. Wanted a Core i7 for the hyperthreading. How did I do? I already have 8GB of DDR3 1600, and a 1TB storage drive, so that's why there's no ram or storage there.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.98 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($62.99 @ Mwave)

Motherboard: Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm  Fan ($22.95 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($22.95 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1238.82

Also I did find better deals on the CPU and GPU than the prices there. I found a 4790k for $279.99 and GTX 770 for $269.99.

So that makes it $1128.82 total.

I used to swear by Asus cards but got an MSI Twin Frozr recently and the cooler setup is fantastic. Decent temps and it's dead quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

The best software is Arcsoft Total media theatre. Costs like $70. Works perfectly fine. Far better option if you ask me, than having an extra box on your desk, and loving around switching between them.

• Locked thread