Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

An entire apartment building exploded in Harlem from a gas leak no more than 2 months ago or so. It happened about 5 minutes after my train passed the building, which was adjacent to the tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_East_Harlem_apartment_buildings_explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011

Turfahurf posted:

Yeah for real, I was at my buddie's place like a year and a half ago (live there now) and we just thought the smell was coming from the garbage or something until someone who knew what gas smelled like came over

What does gas smell like in the US?
The aroma compound they add to it here has a really peculiar smell that's hard to mistake for anything else. A bit like gasoline I'd say? Not even remotely organic.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Rotten eggs or something else sulfury.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

stefania_r posted:

The aroma compound they add to it here has a really peculiar smell that's hard to mistake for anything else. A bit like gasoline I'd say? Not even remotely organic.

Well, it's hard to describe a smell but it just smells like "gas". Nothing else really smells like it. Gas that comes into the home smells different than gas you put in your car so I'm assuming it's two different additives but in the end the gas smell is pretty unique. It's interesting. I never thought that the odor they add to gas might be different in different countries. I wonder if it was ever standardized.

VVV Fair enough.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jul 16, 2014

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Ape of Naples posted:

Well, it's hard to describe a smell but it just smells like "gas". Nothing else really smells like it. Gas that comes into the home smells different than gas you put in your car so I'm assuming it's two different additives but in the end the gas smell is pretty unique. It's interesting. I never thought that the odor they add to gas might be different in different countries. I wonder if it was ever standardized.

Natrual gas is not Gasoline.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

20 or so years ago National Geographic put out a special "scratch n sniff" issue with 10 scents and a reader poll, one of the more notable conclusions from the later poll results article was that many people didn't find the oniony smell of the mercaptans in gas to be unpleasant, and for some reason a lot of elderly people marked it as pleasant.

When the gas is burnt the chemical is destroyed, so there's no reason why they couldn't make it smell like rear end or death or something universally unpleasant. My assumption is that if gas was made to smell really vile, gas companies would be overwhelmed by calls to repair the minor leaks that people usually just ignore, all gas appliances would have to be built to better mechanical tolerance, and society in general would learn to hate and mock it due to poor/working class peoples houses smelling like farts due to old water heaters, pilot lights going out, landlord installing appliances shittily etc.

I'm sure many millions of dollars has been spent on figuring out the exact balance of "smells bad enough to be safe" and "doesn't smell so bad that people avoid it".

ps. Oh man now I have to go look for the section in Ignition by John Clark where he describes the research that went into using thiols and amines as rocket fuels. It's only tangentally on topic but it's pretty priceless... when a research chemist says something smells bad, you know it smells bad.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Could also be that back when they started scenting gas, the marking agents were easily available and cheap. Now that the smell is commonly associated in the public consciousness as "GAS!", changing it would be difficult.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should just make everything smell like fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Danger be damned.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They should make gas smell like tiger piss, I think if a tiger was pissing on you you'd run away so it makes sense from an instinctive point of view.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

On the use of butyl mercaptan as a rocket fuel:

Ignition! posted:

Well, it had two virtues, or maybe three. It was hypergolic with mixed acid, and it had a rather high density for a fuel. And it wasn't corrosive. But its performance was below that of a straight hydrocarbon, and its odor!!! Well, its odor was something to consider. Intense, pervasive and penetrating, and resembling the stink of an enraged skunk, but surpassing, by far, the best efforts of the most vigorous specimen of Mephitis mephitis. It also clings to the clothes and the skin. But rocketeers are a hardy breed, and the stuff was duly and successfully fired, although it is rumored that certain rocket mechanics were excluded from their car pools and had to run behind. Ten years after it was fired at the Naval Air Rocket Test Station - NARTS - the odor was still noticeable around the test areas.

California Research had an extremely posh laboratory at Richmond, on San Francisco Bay, and that was where [Mike] Pino started his investigations. But when he started working on the mercaptans, he and his accomplices were exiled to a wooden shack out in the boondocks at least two hundred yards from the main building. Undeterred and unrepentant, he continued his noisome endeavors...

Anyhow, he came up with the ethyl mercaptal of acetaldehyde and the ethyl mercaptol of acetone... The odor of these was not so much skunk-like as garlicky, the epitome and concentrate of all the back doors of all the bad Greek restaurants in all the world. And finally he surpassed himself with something that had a dimethylamino group attached to a mercaptan sulfur, and whose odor cannot, with all the resources of the English language, even be described. It also drew flies. This was too much, even for Pino and his unregenerate crew, and they banished it to a hole in the ground another two hundred yards farther out into the tule marshes. Some months later, in the dead of night, they surreptitiously consigned it to the bottom of San Francisco Bay.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

stefania_r posted:

It smells like durian fruit. Seriously, find an Asian market in your area and see if they have durian fruit.

If you're really manly, see if they have durian candy, and buy some. Pop it in your mouth, and it'll taste like a gas leak in your mouth. And if you're badass enough to keep the candy in until it dissolves, it'll taste like a gas leak when your burp. And that smell really lingers for a while.

Don't actually buy durian candy, though. It's gross.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I've never smelt a durian, so the closest equivalent I could give would be onions that are starting to rot. Which sounds a lot like how I've seen people describe durian, so durians probably a good description.

stefania_r posted:

Mildly distinctive, very oniony, but with a little bit of nastiness behind it. It's not revolting, artificial-smelling, or even terribly unpleasant. And not inorganic, it's a smell you wouldn't be surprised to find wafting from a forgotten sack in a dark corner of a pantry, or a really exotic spice rack. It's definitely a bad smell, but only just. They could have picked a much fouler mercaptan, something that would drive people from the building if the gas reached dangerous concentrations.

ObWiki: this is the disaster that got us to start adding smell to gas.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

It's always interesting to me to hear about how other people perceive the durian smell, because I grew up eating them as a kid and no matter how many comparisons people make to toilets or rotten onions, its always smelled strongly sweet to me.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The reason they use what they do to odor gas is because it has an extremely low detection threshold and is more distinctive and less toxic than other low detection compounds like hydrogen sulfide. Plus, now there's an association. I mean, I guess you could wake up and wonder why someone has chosen to cook up some durian, onion, and cabbage soup in the middle of the night and doing a real poo poo job of it, but even then you'd probably get up to investigate unless that's a regular dish round your place.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm going to go ahead and guess that most Americans don't even know what a durian is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sure we do. It's one of those weird fruits in the part of the supermarket with all those weird fruits nobody ever buys.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Durian is like if all of the other fruits on the planet took a poo poo, and that poo poo was a durian.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You can get durians in every Asian market ever, so I would assume only really rural Americans who also never watch food or travel shows wouldn't know what one is.

Not knowing what they smell/taste like I can see, but durians are certainly recognizable to at least a decent chunk of the population.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

ColHannibal posted:

Seriously, it's not something to just be mindful of, put something like one of these in your kitchen and anywhere you have gas appliances like a water heater or furnace.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/109107...0599990&veh=sem

Probably a good idea, as I have kids now. Don't want them being at risk because mum's deficient AND an idiot.

And all this discussion of scents is really fascinating to me as I just have no frame of reference for it. Closest I can understand it would be likening it to describing flavours, but I've often been told the way something "tastes" to me is vastly different from what it actually tastes or smells like.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
So is it just me or is everyone ignoring the fact that regardless of how natural gas smells in your part of the world, after 30-90 seconds it will induce a raging headache?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

nucleicmaxid posted:

You can get durians in every Asian market ever, so I would assume only really rural Americans who also never watch food or travel shows wouldn't know what one is.

Not knowing what they smell/taste like I can see, but durians are certainly recognizable to at least a decent chunk of the population.

No they really aren't.

dpack_1 posted:

So is it just me or is everyone ignoring the fact that regardless of how natural gas smells in your part of the world, after 30-90 seconds it will induce a raging headache?

Problem is a lot of things can cause raging headaches and the first thought in your mind might not be "Oh there's a gas leak."

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nucleicmaxid posted:

Kimmalah posted:

No they really aren't.

Trap sprung.

I also have no idea what a durian is, am not rural, and visit Asian markets a few times a year.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

dpack_1 posted:

That's actually a crappy way to identify natural gas. I suffer from migraines so it's entirely possible I'd just assume I had one coming on and go lay down for a while. Which is, of course, part of why stuff like that is crammed full of a very distinct smell. Other indicators may not be obvious, different people are affected by that stuff in different ways, and might not place the cause properly. But if you give it a specific smell and several people all go "hey do you smell gas? I smell gas" suddenly everybody starts looking for a gas leak.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's actually a crappy way to identify natural gas. I suffer from migraines so it's entirely possible I'd just assume I had one coming on and go lay down for a while. Which is, of course, part of why stuff like that is crammed full of a very distinct smell. Other indicators may not be obvious, different people are affected by that stuff in different ways, and might not place the cause properly. But if you give it a specific smell and several people all go "hey do you smell gas? I smell gas" suddenly everybody starts looking for a gas leak.

Oh i get that it shouldnt be the sole identifier. But if i smelled rotten eggs / durians / cabbage / etc etc AND 2 mins late had eye strain / headache / nausea I would put the two things together and realise it was gas. Even without the additive smells natural gas causes headaches in most people within a minute or two.

I was just wondering why nobody mentioned that regardless of how your natural gas smelled in your part of the world you 'could' also associate it with that sudden headache as an extra identifier.

EDIT: PYF: Scary or unnerving article: We get it, Gas smells bad

dpack_1 has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Jul 18, 2014

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

Oh i get that it shouldnt be the sole identifier. But if i smelled rotten eggs / durians / cabbage / etc etc AND 2 mins late had eye strain / headache / nausea I would put the two things together and realise it was gas. Even without the additive smells natural gas causes headaches in most people within a minute or two.

I was just wondering why nobody mentioned that regardless of how your natural gas smelled in your part of the world you 'could' also associate it with that sudden headache as an extra identifier.

The whole genesis of the topic was somebody without a sense of smell.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

dpack_1 posted:

Generally speaking it's a good idea to notice the gas leak and deal with it long before you start getting a headache. It might also not be concentrated enough to give you a headache but concentrated enough to smell bad. Gas is extremely flammable so you kind of want to deal with it fast as you can.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hello Sailor posted:

I also have no idea what a durian is, am not rural, and visit Asian markets a few times a year.

It looks like something that should dangle from a chain being swung by the Chief Nazgul. Just GIS "Durian".

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Generally speaking it's a good idea to notice the gas leak and deal with it long before you start getting a headache. It might also not be concentrated enough to give you a headache but concentrated enough to smell bad. Gas is extremely flammable so you kind of want to deal with it fast as you can.

Yea pretty sure the LEL is below the point where it displaces enough oxygen to give you a headache.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Extreme religious mania is always a box of :stare: . For instance, the Convulsionnaires, an eighteenth-century French sect which believed in extreme chastisements of the body as a way to become spiritually closer to God.

quote:

While the first recorded case of convulsions at the tomb of Pâris occurred in July 1731, one of the best recorded early cases is that of l'abbé de Bescherand, who made two daily pilgrimages to the cemetery: During these visits, Strayer writes, "his body was wracked by convulsions that lifted him into the air, his face was contorted by grimaces, and foaming at the mouth, he yelled and screamed for hours on end." A number of other pilgrims began to exhibit similar convulsions, and the convulsion phenomenon began to rival and eclipse the miracle phenomenon. The cemetery's atmosphere became busy and noisy as people variously prayed, sang and convulsed. Rumours spread through Paris that people were speaking in tongues, stomping on Bibles, barking like dogs, swallowing glass or hot coals, or dancing until they collapsed.

Just like their saintly Pâris, the convulsionnaires appear to have regarded the body with increasing contempt as the movement evolved through the 1730s. They began the practice of secours (release), which involved the violent beating of the individual who was experiencing the convulsions. The secours was intended to release the individual from the painful experience of the convulsions, while simultaneously symbolizing the pain of persecution. They viewed the body with disgust as the site of disease, sinfulness and corruption. Eighty convulsionnaires were arrested in 1736 for beating and cutting each other. They also began to practice regular crucifixions—with nails—to further connect their suffering to that of Jesus Christ and the early Christian martyrs. Brian E. Strayer argues that movement descended further into sadomasochism from 1740 onward. The torture became increasingly brutal while the spiritual content decreased.

The practice of secours culminated in the early nineteenth centry with a young girl named Margaretta Peter.

quote:

Margaretta Peter, born into a large Swiss farming family in the late eighteenth century, was a preaching prodigy. In 1800, when Margaretta was just six years old, she enthralled relatives and other residents of a tiny hamlet near Schaffhausen (either Wildisbuch or Wildispuch) with her impromptu sermons, seeming to have a better grasp of the Bible than any minister five times her age.
This was a marvelous quality in a preschooler, but over the years, Margaret began to exert a spiritual dominance over her family that made her pastor uneasy. He noted that when Margaretta was still a teenager, her widowed father and older sisters would obey her every command as though it was the will of God.

Margaretta’s commitment to her faith deepened even more at the age of 20, when she fell in with a group of Pietists and went through a year of self-chastisement for her sins. At the end of that year, she announced she was ready to become a preacher and prophetess. She returned to her home village in the spring of 1817, and quickly established a small following that included her father, sisters, and an epileptic servant named Margaret Jäggli. Jäggli thought her seizures were caused by demons, and hoped that Margaretta could heal her.

In the spring of 1823, Margaretta began talking about the Devil, warning her followers that he was close at hand. Jäggli’s seizures increased and worsened, probably due to stress. This further reinforced the group’s notion that Satan was moving in on them. In March, Margaretta summoned her followers to her father’s house and descended into an ecstatic state, experiencing visions of Satan’s hordes overtaking the planet. She, alone, stood in their way. For days, she uttered prophecies to her breathless disciples. She declared that Napoleon’s son would reveal himself as the anti-Christ, and this cued her older sister Elizabeth and Jäggli to mimic spirit possession by Napoleon and the Duke of Reichstadt; they marched around the room like military men until Margaretta banished the spirits.

The next day, the prophetess led ten of her followers into a small attic bedroom and exhorted them to gird themselves with both prayer and any weaponry they could find, for the final battle between Christ and Satan was imminent. The group included her elderly father, two of her sisters, and a married tailor who may have been Margaretta’s lover. They obeyed Margaretta’s instructions to board up the farmhouse and arm themselves with axes, hammers, clubs – anything they could find. Napoleon’s troops were coming, she said, and the invisible minions of Satan had already besieged the house. Her followers took up their weapons and swung wildly at the air inside the attic room, trying to kill discarnate entities that only Margaretta could see. This madness went on for about three hours, drawing curious neighbours to the yard.

When the attic room was destroyed, the melee moved to a downstairs parlour. There, Margaretta began pummeling Elizabeth with her fists at Elizabeth’s urging. Somehow, the crazed group imagined that inflicting pain on each other would help repel the demonic invaders, as did the French convulsionnaires who tortured one another in the most sadistic ways imaginable in the St. Medard churchyard during the previous century. They continued punching themselves and each other in a night-long frenzy. The ruckus finally attracted police, who found Margaretta’s followers piled in a heap on the sitting room floor while she beat them senseless. The group was ordered to disband, and local authorities issued an order that both Margaretta and Elizabeth were to be sent to an asylum.

The disciples paid no attention to these orders. Just one day after their punching fest, a dozen people gathered around Margaretta in the little attic bedroom, prepared to carry out any instructions she issued. The prophetess announced that more blood had to be shed, and proceeded to strike her brother, Caspar, repeatedly with an iron wedge. While she bludgeoned her brother, her followers resumed beating themselves and each other.

Next, Margaretta announced that the ghost of her mother was commanding her to sacrifice herself. Elizabeth immediately offered to take her sister’s place, and Margaretta obliged by striking her with the same iron wedge she had used on Caspar (who was alive, but unconscious). The others followed suit, striking the prone woman with any tools they could find. Elizabeth was soon dead. Only one person, a young woman named Ursula, protested. Margaretta assured her that Elizabeth would be raised from the dead in three days’ time.

Then Margaretta ordered her disciples to crucify her. Reluctantly, they gathered the materials for a wooden cross and assembled it in the attic room. Her sister Susanna provided the nails. Again, Ursula protested and was told that both Margaretta and Elizabeth would rise from the dead in three days.

Margaretta’s followers nailed her hands, elbows, breasts, and feet to the cross. They later told the authorities that Margaretta remained fully conscious throughout this ordeal, coaxing them on. When she was secured to the cross, she demanded to be stabbed through the heart. Ursula attempted this, but was unsuccessful. Another woman and a young man took up a hammer and a crowbar and smashed Margaretta’s head until she fell silent.

Margaretta’s lover, the tailor Jacob Morf, was not present during the murders. He had remained at home with his wife after the beating frenzy. When he returned to the Peters farmhouse and saw the corpses of his beloved prophetess and her sister laid out in a bloodstained room, he was horrified. He reported the murders to a pastor. Meanwhile, the others sat vigil in anticipation of the resurrection. The Peters sisters died on a Saturday, so it was expected they would rise again on Monday. On Sunday night, Ursula removed the nails from Margaretta’s body so that she would not be fastened to a cross when she came back to life. Throughout the night, the group remained with the bodies and prayed.

The sisters remained dead, of course. Their father now had little choice but to report their deaths. In December 1823, eleven of Margaretta’s disciples went on trial for murder in Zürich. All were convicted, and received prison sentences ranging from 6 months to 16 years. None expressed remorse for their actions. On the contrary, they insisted that the murders had been the will of God.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress, man...

That's some poo poo. The worst part is her staying conscious while being crucified, coaxing them on. Scary.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

The article on Marshall Applewhite, leader of the Heaven's Gate cult, is unusually detailed and quite an interesting read.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

"Whipping Tom" was the nickname given to a pair of serial spankers in 1700s era England.

quote:

The Whipping Tom of 1681 was active in the warren of small courtyards between Fleet Street, Strand and Holborn. He would wait in the narrow and dimly lit alleys and courtyards. On seeing an unaccompanied woman, he would grab her, lift her dress, and slap her buttocks repeatedly before fleeing. He would sometimes accompany his attacks by shouting "Spanko!".

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Dangerous times.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

RevSyd posted:

"Whipping Tom" was the nickname given to a pair of serial spankers in 1700s era England.

The Demon Spanker of Fleet Street

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

RevSyd posted:

Still being discussed 333 years later. I'd say he's the most successful attention seeking weirdo this side of Herostratus.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

quote:

Women would carry "penknives, sharp bodkins, scissors and the like",[10] and male vigilantes would dress in women's clothing and patrol the areas he was known to operate.

Random spankings and guys walking around all night in drag. 1700s London was a pretty kinky town.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there also a guy running around London a little bit later slashing women's butts with a razor?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't there also a guy running around London a little bit later slashing women's butts with a razor?

There was a guy doing that near DC just a year or two ago. He got arrested and sentenced within the last year.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bamhand posted:

There was a guy doing that near DC just a year or two ago. He got arrested and sentenced within the last year.

The classics never get old I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SPANKO! :v:

At least the dude had a sense of humor.