Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

d00gZ posted:

Then why was one of the gamma bullets used to ice Uatu?

Daddy doesn't keep his guns locked up at night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Uatu killed himself cause he was tired of just watching, so he decided to interfere in one final act by killing himself and affecting stuff. Yea, it's crazy enough to be the answer.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Uatu killed himself cause he was tired of just watching, so he decided to interfere in one final act by killing himself and affecting stuff. Yea, it's crazy enough to be the answer.

This is actually my legitimate guess too. Old Fury seems too likely without outright saying it, so I doubt it was him.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The Biggest Jerk posted:

That would actually be a pretty cool end to the character.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I like that suicide theory. Still, Fury's reluctance to give a straight answer kind of implies the why is as important as the who.
That or Fury doesn't want the story to have blown its wad by issue 6.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's an interesting theory, but I think existential crisis leading to suicide may be a little too dark for the subject matter.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The_Rob posted:

That would actually be a pretty cool end to the character.

Except that it would be pretty poor timing given he has a wife and newborn. I'd buy it other than that and I can't see Marvel wanting to, or letting , Allred or whoever came up with the idea on F4 run with it, if they had that idea already in mind.

I could see it still being Fury. I'm sticking to my guess. He didn't deny it, which makes me think it was him.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

First Bass posted:

What was Howard the Duck's secret?

His secret was that he is garbage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone walked on Uatu's brain. Didn't even need to shrink down.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Considering Watcher had a wife and a child on the way, him killing himself to cause some trouble seems like a pretty hosed up thing for him to do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Considering Watcher had a wife and a child on the way, him killing himself to cause some trouble seems like a pretty hosed up thing for him to do.

I'm sorry to say I doubt anyone working on Original Sin give two shits about what Allred was doing in a book that sold about a dozen copies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm sorry to say I doubt anyone working on Original Sin give two shits about what Allred was doing in a book that sold about a dozen copies.

You mean other than have an entire issue of Mighty Avengers about it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mighty Avengers is being canceled because nobody is reading it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Has that been announced anywhere?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Where did you read that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know. It was a sidebar article off a link someone posted.

Maybe it was just a rumor. It seems to sell well enough actually. A decent amount above Marvel's usual cancellation line.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Just Bleeding Cool rumours that it'll be cancelled and they will increase shipping of Avengers World to weekly in the new year because they need more Avengers books because of the film.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think it would be very highly regarded in BSS if it wasn't for Greg Land. Is Hickman's run going to be done by the time the movie comes out?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Just Bleeding Cool rumours that it'll be cancelled and they will increase shipping of Avengers World to weekly in the new year because they need more Avengers books because of the film.

Great get rid of Al Ewing and replace him with 4 times the Nick Spencer. Awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I think it would be very highly regarded in BSS if it wasn't for Greg Land. Is Hickman's run going to be done by the time the movie comes out?

No. Hickman's run ends a few months later.

Edit: The first reports were September. I guess it's actually May.

So yes, same time.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 17, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Senor Candle posted:

He's wrapping up next May. But I'm sure that's totally a coincidence.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

He's wrapping up next May. But I'm sure that's totally a coincidence.

I'm sure they've known for a long time when the want the movie to come out and he planned accordingly. It would be really weird for the big two avengers books to be in the end of a three year long very connected run when the movie comes out.

LittlePriest
Oct 5, 2003

Winner #39 of the 2k14 #Gamergate Shit Show
Do not talk to me if your a SJW MRA PUA fucktarded Shitlord, (PS: GJ on ruining videogame journalism twitter drama MODS).
The whole Nick Fury thing is so loving stupid.

He has to use his super science, stolen from other races, to assassinate foreign/ alien leaders to protect backwards rear end Earth. See Earthlings can't possibly compete with these otherworldly threats because we're so helplessly backwards and technologically dumber than poo poo.

And any time he finds a new piece of tech while being our noble man on the wall? He secures it to better murder/firebomb other planets.

And they'll undoubtedly set up a replacement noble murder man/woman to sit on a motherload of exciting new technologies, use them to kill people very far away to protect the poor moronic peaceful people of Earth.

Putting aside the obvious "it's America stupid" part of this, it's loving stupid in universe as well. By coddling Earth and its not so secret protectors/governments he's crippling their ability to fight without him.

But honestly, between this new dumb poo poo and the Illuminati Earth murder team, I'm pretty sure Earth is a force for active evil in these comics.

And I'm getting pretty damned tired of this stupid poo poo where it's only ever cool rear end cigar smoking hero "x" that figures out that the best way to fight an enemy is with a sniper rifle from a mile away. No poo poo. Lets interject that little bit of reality into comics so we have to wonder why these super bad guys that outnumber all heroes ten to one don't start sniping people from a mile away as well. If our noble heroes are endorsing and actively participating in ambush murders and assassinations, why aren't the "bad guys" capable of the same?

If that's the reality you want to inject, soon the only believable heroes will be like Spiderman and super gamma bulletproof motherfuckers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LittlePriest posted:

Lets interject that little bit of reality into comics so we have to wonder why these super bad guys that outnumber all heroes ten to one don't start sniping people from a mile away as well. If our noble heroes are endorsing and actively participating in ambush murders and assassinations, why aren't the "bad guys" capable of the same?

Because Nick Fury does his job.

Also you might want to take a look at the team Fury chose again. The only 'noble' guy there is Panther and that's only in the literal sense. That's not an accident.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Because Nick Fury does his job.

Also you might want to take a look at the team Fury chose again. The only 'noble' guy there is Panther and that's only in the literal sense. That's not an accident.

That's a pretty good point. I guess Ant Man is the only "nice guy" amongst them, since he was just a thief, unlike Emma who was a villain or Punisher who just kills criminals.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LittlePriest posted:

The whole Nick Fury thing is so loving stupid.

He has to use his super science, stolen from other races, to assassinate foreign/ alien leaders to protect backwards rear end Earth. See Earthlings can't possibly compete with these otherworldly threats because we're so helplessly backwards and technologically dumber than poo poo.

And any time he finds a new piece of tech while being our noble man on the wall? He secures it to better murder/firebomb other planets.

And they'll undoubtedly set up a replacement noble murder man/woman to sit on a motherload of exciting new technologies, use them to kill people very far away to protect the poor moronic peaceful people of Earth.

Putting aside the obvious "it's America stupid" part of this, it's loving stupid in universe as well. By coddling Earth and its not so secret protectors/governments he's crippling their ability to fight without him.

But honestly, between this new dumb poo poo and the Illuminati Earth murder team, I'm pretty sure Earth is a force for active evil in these comics.

And I'm getting pretty damned tired of this stupid poo poo where it's only ever cool rear end cigar smoking hero "x" that figures out that the best way to fight an enemy is with a sniper rifle from a mile away. No poo poo. Lets interject that little bit of reality into comics so we have to wonder why these super bad guys that outnumber all heroes ten to one don't start sniping people from a mile away as well. If our noble heroes are endorsing and actively participating in ambush murders and assassinations, why aren't the "bad guys" capable of the same?

If that's the reality you want to inject, soon the only believable heroes will be like Spiderman and super gamma bulletproof motherfuckers.

It also sounds pretty close to what he always was doing in SHIELD. Also when it comes to Earth and other planets in universe heroes have made a shitload of mistakes and have caused things to be worse.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bobkatt013 posted:

It also sounds pretty close to what he always was doing in SHIELD. Also when it comes to Earth and other planets in universe heroes have made a shitload of mistakes and have caused things to be worse.

Yeah its totally not like Nick Fury went off the reservation and invaded Latveria with random heroes and brainwashed them after the fact to forget.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LittlePriest posted:

Don't forget breaking time. Thanos calls it out that all the poo poo humans / Earth cause will mean the end of them.

LittlePriest
Oct 5, 2003

Winner #39 of the 2k14 #Gamergate Shit Show
Do not talk to me if your a SJW MRA PUA fucktarded Shitlord, (PS: GJ on ruining videogame journalism twitter drama MODS).
The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Any interplanetary force that attacked Earth in the last fifty odd years must be the ones Nick decided weren't worth the time it takes to grab his cosmic entity murder device. The Kree and Skrulls weren't a real threat or he would have ported a Howard Stark built better than a nuke on them.

The sorcerer supreme has the job of protecting Earth from supernatural entities from the Astral Plane, unless they're a real threat at which point they get a gamma bullet. Really.

Every comic over the last forever is a story about superheroes fighting the scraps that have escaped Nick Fury's attention. He's shown, on panel, to know in advance, loving somehow, whenever an evil overlord on planet Eats People is just about to give the go ahead to eat humans so he can give that guy a gamma bullet. He's nearly omniscient. He can kill anything up to and including the loving Watcher.

He is apparently the only protection this world needs. He kills supernatural enemies better than the Sorcerer Supreme. He handle Mole people problems better, and with better science than the Fantastic Four. Superheroes only get to exist because he allows them to live.

Who the gently caress came up with this?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Maybe he actually worked with the watcher, with the watcher secretly providing intel. Dunno, that's all I got.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm gonna have to agree with LittlePriest the level of grandmaster spy was more then enough but Fury is coming off like a thirteen year old's fanfic self insertion character in this, better at everything then everybody and hardcorest of the hardcore.

I'm hoping it shakes out more interesting then it's coming off as right this second.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well it also seems that he had a LMD army helping him. When he was scoping out Spider-Man he was being assisted and questioned why he wasn't firing.

Really, to me, the most unbelievable thing is that he was able to leave a SHIELD meeting with the excuse that it was his aunt's birthday or whatever, and no one questioned it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

IUG posted:

Well it also seems that he had a LMD army helping him. When he was scoping out Spider-Man he was being assisted and questioned why he wasn't firing.

Really, to me, the most unbelievable thing is that he was able to leave a SHIELD meeting with the excuse that it was his aunt's birthday or whatever, and no one questioned it.

When Colonel Fury tells you he needs to go, you don't question if it's to water his flowers or to visit his sick aunt.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't see how "Fury has been quietly disposing of supernatural and alien threats to Earth for the last sixty years" invalidates any story at all. It's not like, for example, the existence of the Avengers invalidates any story where any other character has had to face a world-threatening event. It's an inherent assumption in a shared universe that nobody can be everywhere at once.

It just means that against all odds, Fury was even more hardcore than we thought he was, and there's nothing wrong with that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Wanderer posted:

I don't see how "Fury has been quietly disposing of supernatural and alien threats to Earth for the last sixty years" invalidates any story at all. It's not like, for example, the existence of the Avengers invalidates any story where any other character has had to face a world-threatening event. It's an inherent assumption in a shared universe that nobody can be everywhere at once.

It just means that against all odds, Fury was even more hardcore than we thought he was, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Fury hit maximum allowable hardcore a long time ago and this just pushed him over the edge into parody levels of it.

Plus the "I got my hands dirty so you don't have to" is so drat trite with Fury, every time he shows up that's what he's doing. It's biggest sin is that it boring core wrapped in interesting fluff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would think once superheroes emerged, Fury adjusted his role.

Black ops stuff or something. A demon making a move for Earth is Doctor Strange territory. A demon consolidating power who could potentially pose a threat down the line? That's Fury.

A skrull attack fleet is a job for the Avengers. A Skrull warlord back on their home planet building up his resources? Pop him from orbit.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

A skrull attack fleet is a job for the Avengers. A Skrull warlord back on their home planet building up his resources? Pop him from orbit.

That would make him singlehandedly more effective than the entire Illuminati (Secret Invasion). Not that that's a tough pill to swallow :rolleyes:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

First Bass posted:

That would make him singlehandedly more effective than the entire Illuminati (Secret Invasion). Not that that's a tough pill to swallow :rolleyes:

Name one time where the Illuminati existing was helpful. Actually, name one time where them existing didn't actively make the situation worse. Being better than them isn't exactly a high bar.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Name one time where the Illuminati existing was helpful. Actually, name one time where them existing didn't actively make the situation worse. Being better than them isn't exactly a high bar.

They convinced Marvel Boy to be a good guy? That's the only thing I can find on Wikipedia that doesn't prove them to be totally awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
The Illuminati are a genuinely interesting concept that would work far better if we actually got to see the poo poo they did that worked to juxtapose with the things they do that go horribly wrong and spawn off the great big event comics like Secret Invasion and World War Hulk. I mean, in New Avengers we're seeing them save the universe, and in Avengers, we see that the "Avengers Machine" Stark and Reed build lasts thousands of years and results in a planet-sized utopia that patrols not only the known universe but the known multiverse, working retroactively through time as well. The problem is that we only ever see them when things do go wrong, and for the interim between their appearances we're never given much reason to attribute things going right to them.

• Locked thread