Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Tiptoes posted:

Bernard Pierce should be mentioned alongside Kubiak too. He fits Kubiak's scheme well and he'll get multiple games without Rice to work as the starter and gain favor with coaches. There's no guarantee Rice bounces back so he offers nice value as a late RB.

They were both trash last year and from what I saw it was the offensive line. For all the flack Rice caught, Pierce put up a 2.9 YPC. I think he's gaining from being the guy who had lower expectations last year. Rice is a better fit for the zone blocking system too IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Do any of you guys do a last place trophy? If so then what? I'm doing one this year, right now the leading choice is I'm going to buy a fishnet t-shirt and get it lettered like a jersey and make the last place guy wear it to the draft

Ours is a wood trophy painted pink with fake flowers and a picture of Justin Bieber on the front. It has to be placed in a prominent position in the losers house so everyone can make fun of them whenever we're over.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

That play was donkey nuts. He ran like 70 yards total in all directions.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
re: Patterson, also keep in mind that a few of his touchdowns last year came on special teams, so if your league does not reward for TDs on special teams he is worse like that too.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm in a 12 team non-ppr league this year. In all of the mocks I've done I've been unhappy with my team picking in the 7-12 range. The one I've been happiest with so far is below, picking at 12. It's still kind of barf...

(12) - Demaryius Thomas WR
(13) - Dez Bryant WR
(36) - Vincent Jackson WR
(37) - Matthew Stafford QB
(60) - Stevan Ridley RB
(61) - Toby Gerhart RB
(84) - Terrance Williams WR
(85) - Maurice Jones-Drew RB
(108) - Jeremy Hill RB
(109) - Christine Michael RB
(132) - Andy Dalton QB
(133) - Steven Hauschka K
(156) - Ladarius Green TE
(157) - Buccaneers D/ST D/ST
(180) - Jordan Matthews WR
(181) - Marvin Jones WR

What are everyone's thoughts on picking late in drafts? Also, waiting on RBs?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My thoughts are you can make a really good team at 11 or 12 with the right strategy. Your strategy is not the right strategy, ie: Too Many WRs Too Early When You Need One Good RB. Also Stafford at the top of the 4th is pricey. It's a good year to wait on QBs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm in a 12 team non-ppr league this year. In all of the mocks I've done I've been unhappy with my team picking in the 7-12 range. The one I've been happiest with so far is below, picking at 12. It's still kind of barf...

(13) - Dez Bryant WR
(60) - Stevan Ridley RB
(61) - Toby Gerhart RB
(108) - Jeremy Hill RB
(132) - Andy Dalton QB
(181) - Marvin Jones WR

In PPR i'd be drat happy with that three headed monster for WRs. I don't like waiting on RBs but you ended up with a decent bunch. It's just going to be a headache trying to figure out which ones to plug in.

I'm league champ so I know I'll be picking 12th. Depending on how keepers work out I'll probably just go BPA and figure it out from there. I don't really go into drafts anymore with a strategy because you'll always have someone reach and knock something down to you.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

(13) - Dez Bryant WR
(60) - Stevan Ridley RB
(61) - Toby Gerhart RB
(108) - Jeremy Hill RB
(132) - Andy Dalton QB
(181) - Marvin Jones WR

I would feel incredibly nervous not taking a single RB in the top 3.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I ended up doing another 10-man draft in 10/10th position, I actually like the second-to-last or last position because you get two picks so close to each other. I would love to have this as my real team.

I count Jimmy Graham as both a TE and WR, so unless I can grab one of the top 4 RBs, I'll likely go with him as my first pick in the real draft. I think I got Bell as a steal in the 7th, and everyone else I got right around their ADP.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

(13) - Dez Bryant WR
(60) - Stevan Ridley RB
(61) - Toby Gerhart RB
(108) - Jeremy Hill RB
(132) - Andy Dalton QB
(181) - Marvin Jones WR

Surprised you got Gerhart so late, in most of my mocks he goes in the 3rd. I think you took Stafford too early, I'd only take him if he dropped a bit later, otherwise I would wait much later for my QB. Here's a mock I just did in 11th spot:

http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/draft/2210753

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

The Mutato posted:

Surprised you got Gerhart so late, in most of my mocks he goes in the 3rd. I think you took Stafford too early, I'd only take him if he dropped a bit later, otherwise I would wait much later for my QB. Here's a mock I just did in 11th spot:

I would say you took 1 too many TEs, and should have picked up another WR in its place.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

The Mutato posted:

I don't like this draft at all:

Demarco - OK
AJ Green - OK but I'm expecting less looks for Green this year as OC limits Dalton's relative lack of accuracy
Spiller - there are question marks.
Gronk - there are question marks
Crabtree - should get more looks as SF transitions Kaep to a more aerial game, but Vernon Davis is the primary pass-catcher in SF
Joique Bell - good value
Cam - has the worst WR corp in the league
Kendall Wright - good value
Ertz - OK
CAR D/ST - reach
Ladarius Green - ? maybe in a TE-flex league I'd grab a third TE
Blount - wire fodder
Justin Hunter - TEN and CAR receivers just don't make me feel funny in the pants. Reuben Randle would be someone I'd look for here.
Dan Bailey
Knile Davis - lottery ticket

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

anime gently caress pillow posted:

My thoughts are you can make a really good team at 11 or 12 with the right strategy. Your strategy is not the right strategy, ie: Too Many WRs Too Early When You Need One Good RB. Also Stafford at the top of the 4th is pricey. It's a good year to wait on QBs.

Suave Fedora posted:

I would feel incredibly nervous not taking a single RB in the top 3.

I think after doing a bunch of mocks I agree that it's a good year to wait on QB. I also feel like there's pretty good depth at WR for WR2 / Flex spots. My biggest issue is that I really feel like RB is a total crapshoot.

These are all the RBs that went between Bryant at 13 and Jackson at 36. Do I really take one of these guys over Bryant? I really believe in Spiller, but I was hoping he would fall to me at 36, taking him at 13 seems like quite a reach. I guess if I really believe I should have just taken him in that spot?

Foster - Injuries. He's getting old.
Stacey - Sure he might work out...maybe.
Murray - I would love Murray if I though that he would actually stay healthy.
Morris - Meh...No Shanahan
Martin - I'm just not a believer.
L. Bell - By virtue of volume a solid back...?
Ball - I might buy into ball...maybe.
Bush - J. Bell stealing touches. He's not going to stay healthy either.
Spiller - Taken 33rd. I'm a believer and was really hoping he fell to me at 36. So close...
Tate - Tate's okay, and I probably would have grabbed him at 36, but he went at 35.

By the time 36 came around the RBs left on the board were...

Ellington - 3 points or 23 points. How many will I get this week.
Gore - Probably should have taken Gore...
Sankey - Barf. I don't believe.
Matthews - I sort of like him, but the rest of the world doesn't seem to.
Richardson - I don't believe.

Then I took Ridley at 60 who I really like provided he actually holds onto the ball. Could have had Rice or S. Jackson instead of Gerhart...

Running back seems like a literal roll of the dice...but I suppose that's fantasy football as a whole.

Edit: VVVV yeah, that's not so bad. I really like Spiller and Hill. I pretty much phoned in the last 4 picks....hypothetical trade bate? heh

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 17, 2014

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

(13) - Dez Bryant WR
(60) - Stevan Ridley RB
(61) - Toby Gerhart RB
(108) - Jeremy Hill RB
(132) - Andy Dalton QB
(181) - Marvin Jones WR

From position 11 on yahoo I did this recently:

QB: Cam Newton, Philip Rivers
RB: Doug Martin, C.J. Spiller, Ray Rice, Jeremy Hill
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Sammy Watkins, Rueben Randle
TE: Greg Olsen, Delanie Walker
PK: Matt Bryant
TD: Denver Broncos

While my RBs are huge gambles all across the board, I over all really like the team. Even by waiting on QB, I feel like the two I got will give me comparable production to your own, while affording me better balance/depth. Was it really worth grabbing a kicker in the 12th? Were you trying to end up with Matthews and Jones as your next two WRs, and just Green for TEs? I mean I like all of those players, but honestly you don't need to roster 6 WRs when you have the starting 3 you have. Also there's absolutely no reason to pick up the Bucs d, as even their week 1 match up is horrible. If you're late and scrambling for a D here are some slept on defenses with great week 1 matchups:

Pitt v Cle (Or Cle @ Pitt if you're low on the Steelers' offense)
Phi v Jax
NYJ @ Oak
SD @ Ari

Overall though I think Mutato did the best of all of us, though I agree with Honore^, I'd rather have had Hopkins, Amendola, Jones, Bowe, or Boldin (though I know you already had Crabtree) over Ertz at that point, but overall it's a really small nitpick on a solid draft.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Considering it's getting near mock-draft season, now might be a good time to open up the "Rate My Draft" thread?

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Suave Fedora posted:

I don't like this draft at all:

Demarco - OK
AJ Green - OK but I'm expecting less looks for Green this year as OC limits Dalton's relative lack of accuracy
Spiller - there are question marks.
Gronk - there are question marks
Crabtree - should get more looks as SF transitions Kaep to a more aerial game, but Vernon Davis is the primary pass-catcher in SF
Joique Bell - good value
Cam - has the worst WR corp in the league
Kendall Wright - good value
Ertz - OK
CAR D/ST - reach
Ladarius Green - ? maybe in a TE-flex league I'd grab a third TE
Blount - wire fodder
Justin Hunter - TEN and CAR receivers just don't make me feel funny in the pants. Reuben Randle would be someone I'd look for here.
Dan Bailey
Knile Davis - lottery ticket

Fairly on the mark, but I still would pick AJ over Dez and Julio and then take riskier guys later. I have more faith in Gronk than some so if he drops to the 4th I'm grabbing him (hence the two sleeper TE picks). Likewise with Cam, his receiver corps aren't actually that much worse than last year, the kid has legs and has put up points every year. Spiller and Crabtree are my high upside guys - I would rather have taken TY and Ball but that's why drafting on the ends of the snake can suck sometimes.

Also just realised it was a 3WR rather than a 2WR+FLEX draft which is how I was drafting :shrug:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

(13) - Dez Bryant WR
(60) - Stevan Ridley RB
(61) - Toby Gerhart RB
(108) - Jeremy Hill RB
(132) - Andy Dalton QB
(181) - Marvin Jones WR

I love waiting on rbs this year, but I only play ppr. In standard it probably isn't a very good move. I don't care for taking a QB early either, I'll always be the 11th or 12 person to draft a QB.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

GNU Order posted:

Considering it's getting near mock-draft season, now might be a good time to open up the "Rate My Draft" thread?

yes

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ok guys I made a "Rate My Draft" thread, here it is

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is Russell Wilson worth a 3rd round pick (3.7) in a 10 team league that is essentially a 2 QB league since you can play one at flex, and it is a limited keeper league where you can keep a player for 3 years at the round you drafted them in. It looks like 8 QB are being kept potentially (we have not reached the final cutoff date yet), but not all of them are super stars, some are value Eli Manning picks or whatever. I feel it is kind of a wash, since to me he kind of feels like a 3rd round pick for this league anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pain of Mind posted:

Is Russell Wilson worth a 3rd round pick (3.7) in a 10 team league that is essentially a 2 QB league since you can play one at flex, and it is a limited keeper league where you can keep a player for 3 years at the round you drafted them in. It looks like 8 QB are being kept potentially (we have not reached the final cutoff date yet), but not all of them are super stars, some are value Eli Manning picks or whatever. I feel it is kind of a wash, since to me he kind of feels like a 3rd round pick for this league anyway.

Yeah I would definitely do that. The problem with QBs is that when you take into account injuries and bye weeks pretty much every QB has to be taken. Looking at BeerSheets, Russel Wilson's value is higher than Jamaal Charles.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Okay, this is more "embarrassment of riches" than "problem" but here's the scenario I'm in.

I currently have the following players kept:

Round 12: Percy Harvin
Round 14: Jamaal Charles
Round 15: Pierre Garcon

and I can keep one more player.

Would I be better off with keeping Forte in the 1st or Cordarrelle Patterson in the 16th?

.5 PPR return yards league, start WR/WR/RB/RB/WR-TE/WR-RB-TE. I'm literally at a loss, because either of those combinations plus whatever WR I take with my "first" pick would immediately make me a championship contender. I'm not sure if having my 4 starting WRs being the insane group of Marshall/Bryant/Thomas, Harvin, Garcon, and Patterson and my RBs be Charles and whoever is left on the scrap heap in the 2nd (Toby maybe? who knows?) is worth it, or if I should just lock up 2 of the 3 best PPR backs in the league and just be happy with whatever WR I take in the 2nd (Roddy White?)

I'm probably overthinking the hell out of this and should just take the RB right?

e: I'm trying to trade for the #1 overall pick so I can let Forte go and keep Patterson anyway :getin: but that's obviously not a given so I need a contingency plan

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Definitely Patterson in a return yardage league

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
I'd keep Patterson even if it wasn't a return league. I'm not as high on him as some of the other people here talking about 1,400 yards and double digit TDs and other pie in the sky stuff but his value in the 16th is way higher than Forte's in the 1st. I haven't seen the list of available players but worst case, you keep Patterson at a hilarious discount and probably get somebody of about to slightly below equal value to Forte with your 1st round pick.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Available backs will probably be something like Ellington, Spiller, Martin, Gerhart, Sankey, CJ, MJD, maybe Bush

Not exactly overwhelmingly confident in any of those. I will probably end up picking 6th-ish overall, so if those are my options I won't be taking my RB2 until #19.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Long term Patterson could be a keeper for years. I would definitely choose him over Forte.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
You shouldn't be allowed to ask for advice if you have Charles in the 14th :mad:

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

You shouldn't be allowed to ask for advice if you have Charles in the 14th :mad:

I didn't even notice that. How long have you been keeping that boy?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

My league is adding a Flex in our ESPN league. Is a flex just a RB/WR? Or can you plug a TE in there?

I'm keeping Jimmy Graham and would love to add Gronkowski to that mix as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ty1990 posted:

My league is adding a Flex in our ESPN league. Is a flex just a RB/WR? Or can you plug a TE in there?

Yeah, ESPN FLEX typically allows a TE. Personally I don't like Gronk's risk this year, but to each their own I guess.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
A lot of TE value comes from the fact that they're going up against other TEs and not WRs/RBs. Your probably better off grabbing a reliable receiver for your flex in the spot you would be drafting gronk.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Is it worth it to shoot for Ediie Lacey this year with a pick 4 or above? (Jamal C. and Adrian Peterson and McCoy are my 1/2/3)

EDIT: Forgot Jukes McCoy

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Is it worth it to shoot for Ediie Lacey this year with a pick 4 or above? (Jamal C. and Adrian Peterson and McCoy are my 1/2/3)

EDIT: Forgot Jukes McCoy

Either him or Forte would be the best options, assuming standard scoring.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I think last year was something silly like .25PPR

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I think last year was something silly like .25PPR

In PPR I go Forte. He's still their WR2.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

ZIGfried posted:

A lot of TE value comes from the fact that they're going up against other TEs and not WRs/RBs. Your probably better off grabbing a reliable receiver for your flex in the spot you would be drafting gronk.

Yeah but when Gronk is healthy he puts up 20 per game which is high end WR1 production so you have to weigh that up with the risk of him injuring himself and how low he is falling in your draft. If I got good value I would go for it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

I didn't even notice that. How long have you been keeping that boy?

I traded FJax and Sidney Rice for him after he tore his ACL and stashed him :riker: I also had Foster two years ago in the 13th but traded him last offseason for Ray Rice ( :gonk: ), Luke Keuchly, and a pick

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

I did Graham + Gronk two years ago and it was fun until Gronk got hurt.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Suave Fedora posted:

I did Graham + Gronk two years ago and it was fun until Gronk got hurt.

Fantasy Football 201x: It was fun until Gronk got hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
aint it the loving truth

• Locked thread