Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Raskolnikov posted:

All my pretty characters after three new makeover/hair kits. http://imgur.com/a/SW7sM

You didn't use the goku haircut on any of your charr characters, useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Aww man I didn't realise I put my Jade Needler order in just before they increased in ticket price. I should have just straight up bought one.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I am the creature that buzzes from the rooftops.
I am the hardened shell that watches from the walls.

I am...

The Black Beetle!

Oh, and Arus,

Aegis merely clips horribly with the shield instead of completely obscuring it.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
Finally, after playing sporadically since launch, I have my first 80. Got her kitted in exotic Berserker's, standard A/M+GS build, and ready to ruin everyone's time in dungeons because I didn't do one at all while leveling. Yay.

And hopefully I still don't have that glitch where it leaves my name off when I talk.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bag of Hamsters posted:

And hopefully I still don't have that glitch where it leaves my name off when I talk.

How could that be a bad thing? You can pretend to be a ghost or the *soul* of Jeremy Soule.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

So, my Thief didn't get grandfathered into the trait system meaning I'm stuck with buying the traits like a plebe. What are the best traits to level up with? I feel like I'm made outta toilet tissue.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Use sword/pistol + short bow for leveling. First for black powder spam (blind field) and the latter for killing groups easily (scatter shot + poison). Don't know about traits, sorry. :v:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I used to get this bug. It took me a hell of a long time to figure out what was causing it, but - you have a bad connection to the party/guild server.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

These mordrem wolves seems to hit like trucks.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Dugong posted:

I think they're only supposed to use that ~6k leap attack while flanking, but the detection seems broken and they start using it all the time.

Doesn't help that they come along with the ranged immobilizing husks with high toughness. I think my life blast crits on them were like 900 versus the usual 2-4k.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

So, my Thief didn't get grandfathered into the trait system meaning I'm stuck with buying the traits like a plebe. What are the best traits to level up with? I feel like I'm made outta toilet tissue.

Using D/D and Withdraw as your heal with Uncatchable (Trickery IV) and Vigorous Recovery (Acrobatics III) will make you an unkillable mob-tagging machine in PvE and will get you to level 60 in no time if you pop an XP booster and just go out exploring and doing hearts (at least the ones that require fighting) and events you come across. Once you're at the Master plateau, you can focus on Deadly Arts and Critical Strikes, either on the traits that give you might and cooldown reduction for venoms or signets.

One side note: I asked a while back what the fastest PvE way to grind was, and the general answer is that the personal story offers the biggest XP rewards. This is technically true, but I really think that they must have bumped up exploration XP rewards after the big patch because I'm just tearing through all my alts by exploring. Some story missions are fast but some are really slow and for some reason don't always give you XP for kills (like when fighting unending hordes of risen), but just running around in a new zone you're constantly getting rewards for exploration, kills, hearts, and events, and with the megaserver heavily populating every map, there's tons of people around to help speed things up.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

OK the episode 2 ending was pretty cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leveling a Thief is making me really self-conscious about playing Mesmer, which is sad, because Mesmers are cool as gently caress and I made my Mesmer at launch drat near two years ago. I just can't help but feel like Thief can do just about everything I like about Mesmer better than Mesmer can, at least in PvE. It's like when I play Mesmer I'm just some Thief wannabe who minored in pretending to be a Guardian and made friends with some pink butterflies.

And yet somehow I expect I'm going to stay loyal to the butterflies.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown
Mesmer has a few tricks that Thief doesn't in pve, but most of them are less selfish so only apply in groups. Portal is invaluable for helping people with guild/jumping puzzles and some parts of dungeons, like blink/portalling people past the meatball corridor in CoF1 and Mesmer has much better access to teamwide buffs and condition removal to offset their weaker selfish buff and condition removal capabilities. They're also better at removing boons and AoE confusion makes trashmobs die insanely fast without having to do much setup.

Feedback and Time Warp are worth taking a mesmer for alone, though.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Due to popularity of the Mesmer profession, Warriors now passively apply Confusion to nearby enemies while wielding anything besides a greatsword. Even in the inactive weapon set slot.

And mimic Portal with a shout named "Get Over Here!"

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Due to popularity of the Mesmer profession, Warriors now passively apply Confusion to nearby enemies while wielding anything besides a greatsword. Even in the inactive weapon set slot.

And mimic Portal with a shout named "Get Over Here!"

I liked the idea of Warrior "Portal" working via you standing at the entrance point and tossing allies to the exit, then you follow with a mighty "hup" and a leap like the Diablo barbarian.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Vanderdeath posted:

Two points into DA gets you Mug, which makes steal deal damage as well as provide you with a small heal. The heal is valuable on a class with so little sources of it.

Two points into CS can convert a percentage of your precision into vitality, which I consider necessary with our low HP.

You can safely ignore SA for leveling.

Three points into Acro will gives you three dodges instead of the usual two, as well as providing Might on dodge if you pick that trait.

Three points into Trickery gives you extra initiative, which is a nice buffer while you learn thief rotations. You can also trait for Fury, Swiftness, and Might on steal.

A full DPS build would be 66002 or 56003, but since you can swap traits on the fly and max DPS isn't important while leveling, those are some helpful traits to play with to start. :)

OzFactor posted:

Using D/D and Withdraw as your heal with Uncatchable (Trickery IV) and Vigorous Recovery (Acrobatics III) will make you an unkillable mob-tagging machine in PvE and will get you to level 60 in no time if you pop an XP booster and just go out exploring and doing hearts (at least the ones that require fighting) and events you come across. Once you're at the Master plateau, you can focus on Deadly Arts and Critical Strikes, either on the traits that give you might and cooldown reduction for venoms or signets.

Use Hide in Shadows, not Withdraw, if you're running D/D. It's a free Backstab and will rid you of the dangerous conditions. Don't use venom traits. In general, don't use venoms. I don't recommend traiting signet use, either, unless you find yourself using Signet of Agility on cooldown or something. Using Uncatchable to tag mobs in group events is pretty effective but it's nothing that shortbow or sword couldn't do better, with the added benefit of not wasting your dodges.

e for clarification: I do not recommend using DD as your main weaponset while leveling. It's a good offset when you're only fighting one mob but SP and/or SB are what you want as a baby thief.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 18, 2014

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Gos is 2/6/0/0/6 D/P a realistic way to get Champion Shadow in this lifetime?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

rap music posted:

Gos is 2/6/0/0/6 D/P a realistic way to get Champion Shadow in this lifetime?

It's possible but I'd definitely recommend 20066 SD instead. I've been running 20066 SD/SB in team arena and it's so effective even I think it needs to be nerfed. You basically just perma-evade, rip boons, and hit like a truck until your opponent(s) die.

Plus gapclosing from 3600 units away is incredibly fun.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Smith Comma John posted:

I liked the idea of Warrior "Portal" working via you standing at the entrance point and tossing allies to the exit, then you follow with a mighty "hup" and a leap like the Diablo barbarian.

I want to shout at corpses while raising my arms into the air for a chance to find extra loot.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
What do you guys like to play for Elementalist sPvP? Staff is the most boring for me. I really like D/D but it seems kinda squish. S/F Fresh Air seems fun too but I'm still kind of bad at it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dugong posted:

Its just enemies that pounce, for some reason they do ABSURD amounts of damage compared to everything else. I still remember one time on HoTW, where we got attacked by the elite wolves, they all pounced at once and down the entire team.

Also that Ninja outfit has forced my hand, I must make a thief now, but what race? So many pretty hairs to choose from.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Alteisen posted:

Its just enemies that pounce, for some reason they do ABSURD amounts of damage compared to everything else. I still remember one time on HoTW, where we got attacked by the elite wolves, they all pounced at once and down the entire team.

Also that Ninja outfit has forced my hand, I must make a thief now, but what race? So many pretty hairs to choose from.

Charr, obviously. Natural predators.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Pretty sure that the mordrem wolves can use the leap attack at any time, but it only fucks you up if they manage to get to your side or rear before it hits. Generally I've been pleasantly surprised by the new story content because it seems like conditions may finally be the correct choice for kill speed. As long as you're not missing your long cooldowns a condition build gives zero fucks about enemies that go invulnerable or force you to stop attacking to reposition. Because honestly, there isn't much difference between 25 stacks of bleed, fire, and your condition weapon autoattack versus 20 stacks of bleed and fire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

Pretty sure that the mordrem wolves can use the leap attack at any time, but it only fucks you up if they manage to get to your side or rear before it hits. Generally I've been pleasantly surprised by the new story content because it seems like conditions may finally be the correct choice for kill speed. As long as you're not missing your long cooldowns a condition build gives zero fucks about enemies that go invulnerable or force you to stop attacking to reposition. Because honestly, there isn't much difference between 25 stacks of bleed, fire, and your condition weapon autoattack versus 20 stacks of bleed and fire.

Now if only they'd do something about that pesky condition cap so we'd have a reason to use condition builds in group PvE, everything would be beautiful.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Alteisen posted:

Max size norn so you're extra stealthy.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm waiting for Tengu to make my thief. :colbert:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Alteisen posted:

Master Race asura for sweetass ninja flips

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have an asura mesmer, charr are FILTHY AND DISGUSTING AND CAN'T BE PRETTY(and I have a charr necro anyway), and max height fat norn thief is a not so funny joke that's been done a thousand times already, plus I have a max height norn warrior anyway.

I guess that just leaves salads and humans.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

max height fat norn thief is a not so funny joke that's been done a thousand times already

You're so wrong, it's hilarious and will never stop being awesome!!!!

e: someone link SFD's fat norn jumping puzzle video from launch with the background music from Mulan

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 17, 2014

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Play as salad, the best race.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The only good Charr is a dead Charr.

The searing, never forget and never forgive.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Uh excuse me charr now have goku hair and are objectively the best race.

Jamb, please post Swaggerwocky. You know what I'm talking about.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Batham posted:

The only good Charr is a dead Charr.

The searing, never forget and never forgive.

"Oh herp derp, I am Balthazar, leading the invasion of humanity as a scourge across Tyria, driving back the charr within a year with magics they don't have."

"Now ninety-nine years later we give magic to errybody."

"Welp, it's been one hundred years now. Catch you fuckers later."

"Welp, you left the charr to simmer for a millenium. Good job not killing them off. Rules of nature warfare. Searing crystals, son."

Mercurius posted:

Uh excuse me charr now have goku hair and are objectively the best race.

It's a shame the females don't have such a magnificent mop of hair.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Dinictus posted:

It's a shame the females don't have such a magnificent mop of hair.

Yeah, too bad they have all that dignity and class instead :colbert:

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
The new story materials are great artwork, but does Arenanet plan to continue releasing and hour of new gameplay and a couple hundred yards of a new map for the entire thing? They should have all the game assets already done for a full expac by now.

Vendictus Prime fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 17, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Vendictus Prime posted:

They should have all the game assets already done for a full expac by now.

It seems pretty obvious that is what they're building up to. :)

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It seems pretty obvious that is what they're building up to. :)

I hope it happens soon, honestly, as nice as the new stuff looks, it's far more frustrating than gameplay I will return to the game for.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP3wnYe6Muw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Dinictus posted:

"Oh herp derp, I am Balthazar, leading the invasion of humanity as a scourge across Tyria, driving back the charr within a year with magics they don't have."

Propaganda filth spread by a race that makes the Asura look like the saviors of Tyria, instead of the sewer filth they actually are.

• Locked thread