Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Probably Magic posted:

I thought the voice-acting on Beware the Batman was super-awful, and I also just have a grudge against most CGI cartoons, but that one's animation was particularly blocky and uninspiring.

I wish Young Justice had stuck around more. That actually seemed like a really good intro into comics for a lot of kids, a lot more than most DC cartoons which generally end up being universes in and of themselves. Of course, that's more an intro into Old DC, so there you go.

Didn't DC introduce a character that was original to Young Justice into the comics? And then kill her off the same event? I get the feeling that DC hates its shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

catlord posted:

Didn't DC introduce a character that was original to Young Justice into the comics? And then kill her off the same event? I get the feeling that DC hates its shows.
You're talking about Artemis, who was Cheshire's younger sister and Ollie's partner after Speedy left, and she was killed off during that awful Teen Titans "The Culling" event comic. She was very popular to fans of the show as well, so of course Lobdell would introduce her and kill her off as a way of motivating Tim to start fighting against the enemy.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

You found the font! Which one did it end up being?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

lotus circle posted:

You're talking about Artemis, who was Cheshire's younger sister and Ollie's partner after Speedy left, and she was killed off during that awful Teen Titans "The Culling" event comic. She was very popular to fans of the show as well, so of course Lobdell would introduce her and kill her off as a way of motivating Tim to start fighting against the enemy.

Man, gently caress that guy in his dead eye sockets.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

goldenoreos posted:

You found the font! Which one did it end up being?

League Gothic. That's actually just the closest free approximation. The actual font is apparently Bureau Grot, but I am not willing to shell out $40 for a lazy gag.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 13, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
With Beware The Batman I am near 100% positive they just reused the model of Mace Windu from Clone Wars and recolored him white while extending the chin a couple feet.

Although to be fair if they ever did a Hitman CGI series that could work really well for Agent 47.

DanteDyas
Sep 4, 2006

..............!?
I just got caught up on Batman Eternal. I'm assuming this Jason Bard guy will end up as the mastermind behind everything. Batman's big yearlong enemy is basically Evil Gordon.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Is Batman eternal any good? For whatever reason I have been avoiding it. I also decided to stop buying Detective comics. The art is fantastic in the book, but the writing is just nothing. The story has not been in interesting at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Eternal is super solid. Maybe that's just in comparison to Futures End being the opposite of solid.
It's worth following just to get to issue #11 where the tone adjusted wildly for one fantastic issue:

It doesn't usually look like that.

e: Not that it blows otherwise. Eternal #9 or 10 gave me my favorite panel of the year, maybe.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 15, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm enjoying Eternal well enough as it has a few interesting storylines going on and in focusing on interesting characters too. So far it is pretty solid.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
#11 also gave us Jason Todd, Red Hood happy mouth face! :v:

I admit, the whole thing with Shen Fang just made me roll my eyes like DC when it comes to Asia in general (or rather, how Asian men are treated when it comes to white opposition), so it was fun to see that for even one issue someone just let the plot fly off in a completely different direction.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

DanteDyas posted:

I just got caught up on Batman Eternal. I'm assuming this Jason Bard guy will end up as the mastermind behind everything. Batman's big yearlong enemy is basically Evil Gordon.
Jason Bard was (at least in the old DCU) an ally of Batman. I wouldn't expect him to be evil.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I picked up the first volume of Black & White based on the recommendations in this thread and I'm really enjoying it, thanks.

Also, I've heard that while Knightfall and KnightsEnd are required Batman reading, Knightquest is mediocre and not really worth wasting time on. Have I been misinformed?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I picked up the first volume of Black & White based on the recommendations in this thread and I'm really enjoying it, thanks.

Also, I've heard that while Knightfall and KnightsEnd are required Batman reading, Knightquest is mediocre and not really worth wasting time on. Have I been misinformed?
Knightfall sets up Bruce's fall at the hands of Bane, and the acension of Jean-Paul Valley/Azrael as the new Batman. Knightquest is basically a whole lot of Azreal becoming progressively more violent and acting out in ways unbecoming of a Bat-Man, while also freaking everyone else out. It goes on for too long, honestly. You could skip it knowing that JPV is terrible at his job. KnightsEnd is Bruce coming back and taking JPV down, and is one of my favorite crossovers.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 17, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Knightfall and KnightsEnd are required Batman reading

Meh. If you're gonna read a giant series of Batman comics make it No Man's Land or Morrison's run, IMO.
I'm been going though the big Knightfall collections very slowly over the past year and a bit, and I've found it kind of a dull trudge.

edit: Hey! Anyone who wants to get in on Robin Rises without catching up on Morrison and Tomasi's oeuvre (you're awful) there's a big ol' handy recap.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 16, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I have a friend that's an editor at the Mary Sue and she's been my guide through the important Batman books. I'd still like to read the KnightSaga because of its importance in Batman lore and I've been interested in the comic version of Bane since seeing Dark Knight Rises and playing the Arkham games. I had just been told by her and others that the middle chapter isn't necessary and somewhat boring.

The Wreck
Aug 16, 2004

I think I brained my damage

I have a friend that's an editor at the Mary Sue and she's been my guide through the important Batman books. I'd still like to read the KnightSaga because of its importance in Batman lore and I've been interested in the comic version of Bane since seeing Dark Knight Rises and playing the Arkham games. I had just been told by her and others that the middle chapter isn't necessary and somewhat boring.

It's not important enough to collect in trade I guess....

It takes the time to setup Bruce's recovery, Azrael's insanity and visions of his father, Robin's reasons for going solo, Gordon's loss of faith in Batman, and then AzBats kills an unimportant villain at the end to nail it all home. It's only important to understand that they took a good amount of time to really drive home the point that "no, you really don't want a 90's style Batman" and that the insanity of Jean Paul by KnightsEnd just didn't come out of nowhere right after he defeats Bane.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

The Wreck posted:

It's been collected in the most recent trades of the arc!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Wreck posted:

It takes the time to setup Bruce's recovery, Azrael's insanity and visions of his father, Robin's reasons for going solo, Gordon's loss of faith in Batman, and then AzBats kills an unimportant villain at the end to nail it all home. It's only important to understand that they took a good amount of time to really drive home the point that "no, you really don't want a 90's style Batman" and that the insanity of Jean Paul by KnightsEnd just didn't come out of nowhere right after he defeats Bane.

So good enough to read, not good enough to actually buy. That makes sense.

So far the books I've read that I immediately bought afterwards were Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Killing Joke. I bought 'Arkham Asylum: Serious House on a Serious Earth' on a whim and actually really enjoyed it. I've read plenty of other essential books (Death in the Family, Lonely Place of Dying, etc) but didn't find them good enough to actually collect. However, when it comes to the New 52, I've bought the first three volumes of both the Batman and Batgirl trades.

Much as I must come off as an enormous pain in the rear end, I appreciate all the help.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just read Batman #500 and skip Knightsquest, except maybe the Joker issues. Definitely not worth buying the collection.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

There was some Matches Malone stuff in Batman Incorporated.
e: Grayson #1, of course.

ee: Oh yeah. In the last Justice League issue, Bruce karate kicked Lex Luthor in a cardigan.

Man, I want to see more of Bruce Wayne in action. Not Bats. Just Bruce. I loved the opening to the Arkham City game. The rest of it? Meh.

EDIT: Are there any books about just Bruce?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

So good enough to read, not good enough to actually buy. That makes sense.

So far the books I've read that I immediately bought afterwards were Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Killing Joke. I bought 'Arkham Asylum: Serious House on a Serious Earth' on a whim and actually really enjoyed it. I've read plenty of other essential books (Death in the Family, Lonely Place of Dying, etc) but didn't find them good enough to actually collect. However, when it comes to the New 52, I've bought the first three volumes of both the Batman and Batgirl trades.

Much as I must come off as an enormous pain in the rear end, I appreciate all the help.
You should read The Man Who Laughs, Robin: Year One, and Batgirl: Year One. I think the latter two are collected in one trade now. They fit in nicely with the early years portrayed in Year One and the Loeb/Sale books.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Timeless Appeal posted:

You should read The Man Who Laughs, Robin: Year One, and Batgirl: Year One. I think the latter two are collected in one trade now. They fit in nicely with the early years portrayed in Year One and the Loeb/Sale books.

I've read Batman: Venom, Catwoman: When in Rome, Robin: Year One, and Batman: The Last Arkham in addition to everything else I've mentioned. I'll check out the other two you've mentioned, thanks.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk also fit in nicely in that Year One bit, right between Year One and The Man Who Laughs. I also really liked Sword of Azrael, but it's so '90's (though if you're reading KnightFall...).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

catlord posted:

Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk also fit in nicely in that Year One bit, right between Year One and The Man Who Laughs. I also really liked Sword of Azrael, but it's so '90's (though if you're reading KnightFall...).

What kind of stories are those? I tend to shy away from anything that's predominately supernatural or extraterrestrial, as well as anything involving the rest of the Justice League. That's why I had a problem (Well, one of many) with 'Death in the Family' as well as my refusal to read 'Dark Knight Returns'

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What kind of stories are those? I tend to shy away from anything that's predominately supernatural or extraterrestrial, as well as anything involving the rest of the Justice League. That's why I had a problem (Well, one of many) with 'Death in the Family' as well as my refusal to read 'Dark Knight Returns'

Ah, Mad Monk focuses on a vampire (probably), and Monster Men has Hugo Strange making... well, monster men. Sword of Azrael doesn't straight up have anything provaby supernatural, but it does have a secret religious order, so there's a strain of that in there.

Edit: Wait, does that mean you're skipping Batman vs. Predator? That's a shame. I love that one.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 17, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm not entirely opposed to stuff like that, it just runs against a lot of what I like about the Bat Family, which is a realistic bunch of people fighting against villains who at least have some basis in reality. If I wanted to read about aliens and ghosts and poo poo, I'd go for Superman and Green Lantern and the rest of the Justice League. poo poo, I love Deadpool, but at least it's established that he regularly faces preposterous otherworldly beings. Does that make any sense?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

They're retellings of earlier Batman stories. You shouldn't have a problem with Monster Men, but I don't think you'd mind the vampires in Mad Monk. They're vampires in a pulp/horror tradition that fits the Year One tone.

I think you'd really dig most of Brubaker and Rucka's Batman stuff. I have a feeling that you'd love Gotham Central, especially its Joker story.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Timeless Appeal posted:

They're retellings of earlier Batman stories. You shouldn't have a problem with Monster Men, but I don't think you'd mind the vampires in Mad Monk. They're vampires in a pulp/horror tradition that fits the Year One tone.

I think you'd really dig most of Brubaker and Rucka's Batman stuff. I have a feeling that you'd love Gotham Central, especially its Joker story.

At least I'll definitely take a look at 'Monster Men' and 'Mad Monk' and anything else that's an important part of the Batman lore before my next task, which is the KnightSaga. Whether it be the first and third parts, or the entire thing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

I'm not entirely opposed to stuff like that, it just runs against a lot of what I like about the Bat Family, which is a realistic bunch of people fighting against villains who at least have some basis in reality.
You would probably enjoy the Prodigal & Troika arcs directly following KnightsEnd, then.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

I'm not entirely opposed to stuff like that, it just runs against a lot of what I like about the Bat Family, which is a realistic bunch of people fighting against villains who at least have some basis in reality. If I wanted to read about aliens and ghosts and poo poo, I'd go for Superman and Green Lantern and the rest of the Justice League. poo poo, I love Deadpool, but at least it's established that he regularly faces preposterous otherworldly beings. Does that make any sense?

Given how often Batman has dealt with aliens and ghosts in the past 75 years, it doesn't make a WHOLE lot of sense. But you like what you like, there's no fault in that. Refusing to read Dark Knight Returns, though-- you're missing out on the most influential Batman story of the last 30 years by doing that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I also recommend picking up Batman by Moench and Jones. The first volume collecting their stuff came out recently and it's pretty awesome.
Also Morrison's run is really really really worth picking up.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I missed that earlier--Why do you refuse to read DKR?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

redbackground posted:

I missed that earlier--Why do you refuse to read DKR?

I cannot stand Superman. It's probably stupid and irrational, I just don't like stories where other superheroes visit Gotham, especially Supes. I was already not a fan of 'Death in the Family' and then Superman showed up almost as if the book was daring me not to finish it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I cannot stand Superman. It's probably stupid and irrational, I just don't like stories where other superheroes visit Gotham, especially Supes. I was already not a fan of 'Death in the Family' and then Superman showed up almost as if the book was daring me not to finish it.
How do you feel about Superman getting the poo poo beat out of him by the entire power of Gotham City?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Oh, just a dumb hangup. He only shows up (mostly) at the end and gets his rear end beat, you know.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 17, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

redbackground posted:

Oh, just a dumb hangup.

Exactly

Timeless Appeal posted:

How do you feel about Superman getting the poo poo beat out of him...

You could have stopped there. Orgasmic.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Which is funny, because stupid poo poo like Batman deciding to beat up Superman for ~reasons~ and other attempts to make Batman more John Wayne than Bruce Wayne is why I'm not a huge fan of DKR and much prefer Batman: Year One for Frank Miller Batman stuff.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Probably Magic posted:

Which is funny, because stupid poo poo like Batman deciding to beat up Superman for ~reasons~ and other attempts to make Batman more John Wayne than Bruce Wayne is why I'm not a huge fan of DKR and much prefer Batman: Year One for Frank Miller Batman stuff.

I just like the idea of Superman getting the poo poo beaten out of him, not that I'd enjoy a book like that. I agree with your post.

I've also heard that 'Dark Knight Strikes Again' is pretty bad. And then there's his attempt at making Batman a Muslim-hating "freedom fighter" that eventually turned into that awful 'Holy Terror' book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

I just like the idea of Superman getting the poo poo beaten out of him, not that I'd enjoy a book like that. I agree with your post.

I've also heard that 'Dark Knight Strikes Again' is pretty bad. And then there's his attempt at making Batman a Muslim-hating "freedom fighter" that eventually turned into that awful 'Holy Terror' book.

Yeah those are both terrible but they don't change the fact that DKR is good.

• Locked thread