Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say my biggest concern is that it's going to boil down to "one is good at fighting, one is good at building, one is the Sei Mk.II but without a Fighter so she just gets owned constantly."

But at the very end she realizes she was good all along and instantly becomes one of the best battlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say my biggest concern is that it's going to boil down to "one is good at fighting, one is good at building, one is the Sei Mk.II but without a Fighter so she just gets owned constantly."

I dunno, she seems to actually be experienced compared to the others. Isn't she supposed to be the head of the GB club?
I mean her Gundam is literally called WINNING.

You think this thing is cute?
It wasn't made to be cute.
It was made to WIN.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, something I find sort of weird is that only one of the three main suits is 'canonical.' You've got two units which look basically like new suits and then the ReGZ.

The Lighting Gundam look like a knockoff of something from Age to me even though they can't use AGE suits in this show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ethiser posted:

The Lighting Gundam look like a knockoff of something from Age to me even though they can't use AGE suits in this show.

Oh good, so it's not just me that thinks this. I think it's because of the shoulder shape and wing colours looking AGE-3-ish. Anyone know when that license on AGE runs out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Lightning Gundam is ReGZ. It says so on the page.

StrifeHira posted:

I dunno, she seems to actually be experienced compared to the others. Isn't she supposed to be the head of the GB club?
I mean her Gundam is literally called WINNING.

You think this thing is cute?
It wasn't made to be cute.
It was made to WIN.

It's not uncommon in goofy anime like this for the club lead to be the crappiest member of the team. She's 'scrambling for players' according to the profile and ends up with those two.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

It's not uncommon in goofy anime like this for the club lead to be the crappiest member of the team. She's 'scrambling for players' according to the profile and ends up with those two.

Yeah. And going by that and the other info presented thus far, I'm going to guess that while China's brother is great at actually building Gunpla, he's probably an average fighter at best. Red is probably going be doing most of the heavy lifting in the fights, and I'm guessing Yellow is probably going to handle Sei/Ral's role of filling in background info on the various suits and references that pop up throughout the season.

Also, what are their names?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah. And going by that and the other info presented thus far, I'm going to guess that while China's brother is great at actually building Gunpla, he's probably an average fighter at best. Red is probably going be doing most of the heavy lifting in the fights, and I'm guessing Yellow is probably going to handle Sei/Ral's role of filling in background info on the various suits and references that pop up throughout the season.

Also, what are their names?

Sekai Kamiki, Yuuma Kousaka and Fumina Hoshino

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It looks like the rough gimmick is:

One is PUNCHMANS who doesn't know much about Gunpla Builders but has bullshit kung-fu powers and is a great fighter.
One is China's younger brother who is a pro builder of some kind.
One is the president of the Gundam Club and "loves Gundam from the bottom of her heart."

The Burning appears to be punchy-man and uses "Universal Kendo"
The Lightning is shooty-mans
The Winning is high-speed/gimmick oriented.

On the other hand, Yuuki was president of the gundam club and also loved gundam from the bottom of his heart. Let us dream this sweet dream for a little longer.

Also, if they do care about getting more girls into gunpla (though who knows whether they actually do), having the girl not suck and die for once would be a good idea.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

As long as Fumina gets in on the club president flamenco BGM thing, I'll be happy.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

China's brother needs to be voiced by Yuuichi Nakamura so I can by extension make more Preventer Lightning jokes.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

BlitzBlast posted:

As long as Fumina gets in on the club president flamenco BGM thing, I'll be happy.

I can get behind this. :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Someone need 80s action movie music as his theme. Maybe this could be Lightning Gundam theme?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Unfortunately Japanese music trends are always 10 years behind western ones so you need to go back to the 90s for that poo poo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The fact that they went with Build Burning Gundam rather than God Gundam threw me for a loop.

Did someone at Bandai realize that they were getting heavy hits on youtube stateside for this and changed the name to lessen confusion? That or they're going for a more fire themed thing so the name change was intentional.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kurieg posted:

The fact that they went with Build Burning Gundam rather than God Gundam threw me for a loop.

Did someone at Bandai realize that they were getting heavy hits on youtube stateside for this and changed the name to lessen confusion? That or they're going for a more fire themed thing so the name change was intentional.

My guess is it was the latter, they went with Build Burning Gundam because the builder/pilot has red hot burning spirit for Gunpla.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sei is the Build God anyway so they want to avoid bruising his ego. :v:

It took me like 5 minutes to parse that that Re-Gz wasn't an AGE3 variant...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

00 S2's license lasted like five years, we're not going to see AGE in this.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

00 S2's license lasted like five years, we're not going to see AGE in this.
I fully realize that (AGE 3 Orbital's second coming :japan: ) but It just LOOKS so much like an age3 variant at first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

The Build Burning is not a God Gundam kitbash. It's called "Burning" because the pilot has burning spirit and there's also a Lightning Gundam. It's a big weird that Winning is just... Winning unless it's some weird Wind pun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

The Build Burning is not a God Gundam kitbash. It's called "Burning" because the pilot has burning spirit and there's also a Lightning Gundam. It's a big weird that Winning is just... Winning unless it's some weird Wind pun.

Winning's the name, and winning's my game!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Take a closer look at the Burning. It's basically an incredibly stripped-down God, without most of the extras and decorations. Also, it's totally doing the God Gundam's fingers-outstretched combat pose in the poster pic on the site's main page.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

(from https://twitter.com/buildfighters/status/489723459212021760)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Remember that the Abigorbine was an Abigor in Dunbine colors. The staff of GBF is fond of references and jokes that step outside of what you'd expect, I'm pretty sure they're referencing the localization of God Gundam on top of going for a fire theme.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It would be amazing if not!Reiji was from America originally, but still a fan of the series, then they could make tons of localization jokes :allears:

Yeah that's the God Gundam's chestpiece and head crest. It just looks really odd without the core booster backpack and the wristguards.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Character profiles!

Sekai Kamiki
Master of Jigenhaou-style Kenpo who transfered to the 2nd year of the Seihou Academy middle school section.
Due to meeting Fumina Hoshino he learned of Gunpla Battle and is now learning its fun and depth.

Yuuma Kousaka
2nd year student of the Seihou Academy middle school section and China Kousaka's younger brother.
Winning the Grand Prices at modelbuilding conventions and artistic Gunpla contests, he's a young genius Builder.

Fumina Hoshino
3rd year student of the Seihou Academy middle school section. A girl that loves Gundam and Gunpla with all her heart.
As club president of the Gunpla Battle club, she's looking for members to win the Championship in the student class.

Jigenhaou can be translated as Dimensional Surpreme Ruler.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Since the Lightning is the ReGZ, clearly we're going to get the Nu-Lightning half way through the show right :getin:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Yeah that's the God Gundam's chestpiece and head crest. It just looks really odd without the core booster backpack and the wristguards.

It looks like it, but the Burning/God Gundam's chestpiece and head crest don't look like that, the head crest is two V's stacked on top of each other and the chestpiece looks a bit smoother and not quite as angular as the Build Burning.

compared to

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Character profiles!

Sekai Kamiki
Master of Jigenhaou-style Kenpo who transfered to the 2nd year of the Seihou Academy middle school section.
Due to meeting Fumina Hoshino he learned of Gunpla Battle and is now learning its fun and depth.

Yuuma Kousaka
2nd year student of the Seihou Academy middle school section and China Kousaka's younger brother.
Winning the Grand Prices at modelbuilding conventions and artistic Gunpla contests, he's a young genius Builder.

Fumina Hoshino
3rd year student of the Seihou Academy middle school section. A girl that loves Gundam and Gunpla with all her heart.
As club president of the Gunpla Battle club, she's looking for members to win the Championship in the student class.

Jigenhaou can be translated as Dimensional Surpreme Ruler.

Everything about these suggests that this series is gonna be a steaming pile of crap.
Why am I so excited.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

everythingWasBees posted:

Everything about these suggests that this series is gonna be a steaming pile of crap.
Why am I so excited.

Because everyone assumed the same about season 1 and were horribly wrong.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

TARDISman posted:

It looks like it, but the Burning/God Gundam's chestpiece and head crest don't look like that, the head crest is two V's stacked on top of each other and the chestpiece looks a bit smoother and not quite as angular as the Build Burning.

compared to

It's definitely more Shining than Burning, I think. The shoulders in other pics I've seen and ankle guards are spot on, while the chest is extremely similar. The yellow vents on either side of the chest are there, though I suspect it's a redesign because they don't need the core lander to stick its nose through to become the cockpit.

Minus the wrist slashers, the limbs look similar to the Shining. I wouldn't be surprised if they had thruster vents that popped open in Burning Mode or whatever.

The Missing Link fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 17, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The same writing staff is still in, right?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I also just realized: I don't have to buy MG Star Build Strike now, since most likely Build Burning will be the actual second lead of Build Fighters.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Level Slide posted:

The same writing staff is still in, right?

The only thing that's known to have changed is the new producerdirector, Shinya Watada, who did episodes 2,8,17 and 23 of the first series.

Ep 8 was Nils' introduction, Ep 17 was Mao's self-finding trip and Ep 23 was the Gundam Valhalla festival.

VVV
Thanks, changed it.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 17, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

The only thing that's known to have changed is the new producer, Shinya Watada, who did episodes 2,8,17 and 23 of the first series.

Director*

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

The only thing that's known to have changed is the new producerdirector, Shinya Watada, who did episodes 2,8,17 and 23 of the first series.

Ep 8 was Nils' introduction, Ep 17 was Mao's self-finding trip and Ep 23 was the Gundam Valhalla festival.

VVV
Thanks, changed it.

Also worth noting that episode 2 had the first encounter with the Zaku Amazing, which was really, really good even if it was only like 30 seconds. Kind of a mixed bag on those episodes though, so I can't say I'm not a little worried. Tallgeese Valyrie fight was good, but Mao's episode was lame and Gundam Valhalla was alright but kind of empty. I want the director or directors from Bloodhounds, episode 6, and the Build Strike vs. Wing Fenice episodes. Mostly Bloodhounds.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 17, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Why am I so excited.

having one character be a kung fu master is never a bad sign in a giant robot show.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Why am I so excited.
Because it's going to be a steaming pile that's really fun to watch, and gives us a lot of great new kits to spend money we don't have on.

:negative:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Because it's going to be a steaming pile good show that's really fun to watch, and gives us a lot of great new kits to spend money we don't have on.

:negative:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Is it just me that's not excited for any of the announced suits thus far? It could be like the first season where its the pilot and fighting that win me over but right now it looks like my next kits are coming out of Reconguista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bondster
May 6, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

Is it just me that's not excited for any of the announced suits thus far? It could be like the first season where its the pilot and fighting that win me over but right now it looks like my next kits are coming out of Reconguista.

If it follows anything from the last season those suits will probably change as the season progresses.

Can't wait to see what PLAVISKY particle fuckery they come up with this season.

• Locked thread