Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Krad posted:

Or FeMC showing up in... oh wait.

Sadly, she's in the same boat as the Male MC and thus can't really show up anywhere without a lot of wrangling P3's plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alternatively, make the next spin off non canon and bring in whatever. Though considering we've reached the point where death by dance off is an acceptable form of shadow extermination, I'm not sure bringing in the girl main character would be that big a stretch.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Butt Ghost posted:

Say what you will about Demikids, I think it was loving adorable, and I wouldn't mind if they rebooted it like they did Persona. That is, assuming the actual game would be good this time.

I, too, am so sick of the P3/4 horse-beating that I'd play a new Demikids for something different at this point.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If they make a brand new spin off and it isn't a next-gen Raidou sequel then I just

I will not even be able to deal

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sorry, next game will be a Persona 5 tie in with 3 and 4. Persona 5: Mara Kart in 2016.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'd really like to have a current gen remake of SMT1/2 (mainly for SMT2) so I can replay them and not have to deal with the kinda annoying first person camera. Of course, that'll probably never happen. :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

S-Alpha posted:

I'd really like to have a current gen remake of SMT1/2 (mainly for SMT2) so I can replay them and not have to deal with the kinda annoying first person camera. Of course, that'll probably never happen. :(

Shin Megami Tensei I and II: All Your Friends Are Dead Edition.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nocturne remake with some of the stuff they introduced in IV would be bees knees.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

S-Alpha posted:

Eh, SMT4 is basically this though. It's about as "classic" an SMT experience as you can get, almost to its detriment.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Alternatively, make the next spin off non canon and bring in whatever. Though considering we've reached the point where death by dance off is an acceptable form of shadow extermination, I'm not sure bringing in the girl main character would be that big a stretch.

This is the umpteenth time I've heard someone suggest making a game non-canon to avoid some restriction or other. Is this a practical thing to do with a new game (as opposed to retroactively with an old one)?

I don't know that "canon" is a meaningful concept to the majority of the audience that doesn't read Atlus press releases.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Butt Ghost posted:

Say what you will about Demikids, I think it was loving adorable, and I wouldn't mind if they rebooted it like they did Persona. That is, assuming the actual game would be good this time.

Demikids had a lot of demons that never appear in the "main" games, it would be really cool if they could bring those back. There were lots of weird and obscure demons instead of the same guys we've been seeing all this time. (I'd like it better if we got a bunch of new obscure demons in the main games, but that's not gonna happen)

Plus some of the Demikids redesigns are super cute. Nidhogg is just adorable.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

I wouldn't mind if they put in Lucifrost in SMT V or Persona 5. He's just too adorable :3:

Edit: Before I forget. I beaten Shin Megami Tensei IV and plan on playing Soul Hackers next. Anything I should know before playing?

BipolarAurora fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 17, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Soul Hackers suffers from having a lot of old school SMT elements in a shiny new package. Play for the story and the amazingly 1990s vision of the future.

It's not obvious at all but what you tell the Spookies very early on about Hitomi's personality will affect what spells she gets later. "Sexy defines her" means she'll learn the Zio line and Megidola, and she'll pick up Mediarama two levels early, so it's my preferred pick. The other two options give her different spell trees: Agi and Hama for "upbeat" and Bufu/Mudo for "calm".

I'm pretty sure this is the right entry on the Before I Play wiki: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Devil_Summoner_2

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.facebook.com/AtlusUSA/posts/10152243904788339

Atlus USA is halting preorders of the Wildcards edition of Persona Q after this week.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

epenthesis posted:

This is the umpteenth time I've heard someone suggest making a game non-canon to avoid some restriction or other. Is this a practical thing to do with a new game (as opposed to retroactively with an old one)?

I don't know that "canon" is a meaningful concept to the majority of the audience that doesn't read Atlus press releases.

Canon means it actually happens and thus is required to follow the logic of the story (though again, they kinda threw logic out the window with DAN). If it isn't you don't have to worry about whether it makes sense or is possible, so you could actually have the female P3 protagonist fighting Dojima and Nanako or whatever. Or bring in the other SMT casts and have them all fight giant robots that turn into golf carts on the moon if they wanted. Arena's "everybody wins" plot would make more sense as well.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Dehry posted:

https://www.facebook.com/AtlusUSA/posts/10152243904788339

Atlus USA is halting preorders of the Wildcards edition of Persona Q after this week.
This page just got removed. I wonder if something changed.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Butt Ghost posted:

This page just got removed. I wonder if something changed.

Still there for me.

Persona Golden Episode 2: They skipped all the shadows. It's just the Golden stuff. You do get to see some more Ai/Chie interaction though.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
They're really playing up Yu's sister-complex, huh.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Neeksy posted:

They're really playing up Yu's sister-complex, huh.

They've established that as his primary unique characteristic, aside from hamming it up occasionally.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

When Atlus finds a dumb joke they are loathe to give it up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Here's a question, hee-ho. If I beat DDS2 (with an imported DDS1 save), and then go back and play a new cycle in DDS1 to kill more bosses and actually have fun, and get a clear save from that, will I be able to import that save into DDS2 new cycle, or will I have to start it from scratch to get the bonus rings?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is gonna have the cool boxart for the US version too. I know this info is killing some of you, so now you can rest easy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is gonna have the cool boxart for the US version too. I know this info is killing some of you, so now you can rest easy.

You have no idea how much better Persona 4 would have been if you actually could walk around like that.

Doubly so if people commented on it. The beginning of the game with Mooroka would have been very different.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Demikids had a lot of demons that never appear in the "main" games, it would be really cool if they could bring those back. There were lots of weird and obscure demons instead of the same guys we've been seeing all this time. (I'd like it better if we got a bunch of new obscure demons in the main games, but that's not gonna happen)
I'd love for some of the DemiKids-only demons to get some proper series appearances, yeah. Gilgamesh, Yeti, Nessie, Olghoi Khorkhoi, Mokele-Mbembe, etc. Gilgamesh would be a great asset if they don't retire the Hero/Famed clan again.

Hilariously enough, there was one DemiKids demon (Amon/Amaimon) that did get a recent mainstream series design...for a Shin Megami Tensei IV spinoff manga. :v:

Beef Waifu posted:

That's a work of art, right there.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Jimbot posted:

You have no idea how much better Persona 4 would have been if you actually could walk around like that.

Doubly so if people commented on it. The beginning of the game with Mooroka would have been very different.

You need P4Golden. Loads of outfits for the dungeons, and every party member has a different reaction, sometimes more depending on other party members. And yes, these outfits include swimwear and cross-dressing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Junpei attempting the Dreamworks face there, good work Junpei.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Elfface posted:

You need P4Golden. Loads of outfits for the dungeons, and every party member has a different reaction, sometimes more depending on other party members. And yes, these outfits include swimwear and cross-dressing.

You forgot to mention the best set of outfits.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Elfface posted:

W.T. Fits posted:

You forgot to mention the best set of outfits.

What have I been doing with my life until now? Time to start saving up for a Vita.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jimbot posted:

What have I been doing with my life until now? Time to start saving up for a Vita.

The only problem with that set is it's best when everyone's using it, and that falls apart because using this is mandatory:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jimbot posted:

If you don't want an actual Vita/portable P4, Sony's releasing a Vita TV in the fall for a cheaper price that you hook up and play Vita games/PSN on.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Just started SMT4 and I'm really liking it, but is there a way to skip the Charon bit after you die? Dude's getting really annoying.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mercurochrome posted:

Just started SMT4 and I'm really liking it, but is there a way to skip the Charon bit after you die? Dude's getting really annoying.

You hold X to skip most of it, I believe

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm playing through P3P again, and realizing the redesign of Orpheus for FeMC really, really bothers me.

1) God forbid someone have a default Persona that is not the same exact sex they are. Nevermind Wild Card individuals can slap on whichever one they want. Default ones better have the same parts!

2) Even then the redesign is just super lazy in a variety of ways (heart shaped lyre, really?). Especially when you look at Thanatos and Messiah, both of which you could argue are the MC's Ultimate Persona, who are the same exact designs as before.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thanatos isn't the MC's ultimate persona. You could argue that Messiah is meant to be androgynous I guess. I dunno, it doesn't bother me.

I won't say the female story isn't lazy though, there are definitely some :effort: things about it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I guess Messiah could be considered androgynous to some degree, but it always struck me as male in design, especially since it mirrors a lot of parts of Orpheus and Thanatos.

Also, both versions of the MC are either crazycakes, or the chillest motherfuckers around. "Hm. Town's gone all freaky, the water looks like blood, and there are coffins everywhere? Whatever, time to walk to my dorm."

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

1) God forbid someone have a default Persona that is not the same exact sex they are. Nevermind Wild Card individuals can slap on whichever one they want. Default ones better have the same parts!
Well, I mean, a Persona is a reflection of one's self, and I guess FeMC identifies as a girl, so :shrug:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I guess Messiah could be considered androgynous to some degree, but it always struck me as male in design, especially since it mirrors a lot of parts of Orpheus and Thanatos.

Also, both versions of the MC are either crazycakes, or the chillest motherfuckers around. "Hm. Town's gone all freaky, the water looks like blood, and there are coffins everywhere? Whatever, time to walk to my dorm."

The movie explained his antipathy towards the crazy poo poo by saying that he's been experiencing the Dark Hour since he was a little kid, so all the blood and coffins everywhere are just normal to him. It was one of the only interesting things that the film did that made his reaction (or lack thereof) make sense.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Well, I mean, a Persona is a reflection of one's self, and I guess FeMC identifies as a girl, so :shrug:

Persona are supposed to be manifestations of personality, though. The fact that a persona is male or female really shouldn't matter, so long as it reflects something about them as a person. There have been Persona of the opposite sex of their users before. Hidehiko from P1's initial Persona is one, and both of Naoto's. Ken's initial one is also female in the mythology, but with a mechanical design, and Lisa from P2 has Eros, though with a female design.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Persona are supposed to be manifestations of personality, though. The fact that a persona is male or female really shouldn't matter, so long as it reflects something about them as a person. There have been Persona of the opposite sex of their users before. Hidehiko from P1's initial Persona is one, and both of Naoto's. Ken's initial one is also female in the mythology, but with a mechanical design, and Lisa from P2 has Eros, though with a female design.

Orpheus is a man in mythology but with a female design for the FeMC. How is that different from Lisa? I can't help but feel you're getting upset over nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Wouldn't you say that someone's gender influences a portion of their personality? I mean, you already said that there have been Persona users with default Personas of the opposite gender, so I guess it doesn't matter. Also it's a video game.