Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

evol262 posted:

Anyway, Satellite works fine with CentOS and Fedora. Spacewalk won't violate your subscription agreement, either, but I'm not sure about the status of attaching it to RHN.

I was told at the Summit when I was making inquiries into Satellite that, while CentOS works with Satellite, you basically are paying per-CentOS-node to attach it to satellite for the licensing, whereas with RHEL it's included in the price you pay Redhat. Our CentOS footprint is pretty big which is why I ended up scrapping that idea and started looking at Spacewalk.

This is the first I've heard of Katello, though. I'll go play with that next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I have a set of files in a folder that I want to prepend with a website address and list each one on a new line, so if I have a folder with a.tar.gz - z.tar.gz how can I get it to output this:

https://www.foo.com/a.tar.gz
https://www.foo.com/b.tar.gz

etc.?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

for i in $(ls); do echo "http://www.foo.com/$i"; done

or just use your webservers directory index function?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

spankmeister posted:

for i in $(ls); do echo "http://www.foo.com/$i"; done

or just use your webservers directory index function?

That did exactly what I needed, thanks!

Unfortunately the system I'm working on is quite restricted so I have to basically do things with simple shell commands.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Experto Crede posted:

That did exactly what I needed, thanks!

Unfortunately the system I'm working on is quite restricted so I have to basically do things with simple shell commands.

If you have some other programming experience then don't feel like you have to do everything in shell script. Perl/python/etc are perfectly fine languages to do stuff like this if they're available.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Longinus00 posted:

If you have some other programming experience then don't feel like you have to do everything in shell script. Perl/python/etc are perfectly fine languages to do stuff like this if they're available.

Python has a built in web server too. Just serve up that folder in it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for graphics card recommendations. I currently run 2 1080p monitors on a GeForce 7200 GS (256MB RAM) for software development work and general web browsing on Linux Mint 13 MATE with Compiz setup as the window manager. Graphics performance becomes sluggish when watching web video or when enabling some of the fancy Compiz settings. I'm looking for something that will run smoothly for general desktop use with all the fancy UI features turned on @ 1080p x2 (no gaming).

The computer is a Dell with a 2.66GHz Core2 quad core, 8GB RAM, PCI Express x16 and a 300W PSU. I can't get anything too beefy due to the limited space in the case (a long card won't fit) and low PSU wattage. I'm thinking I should be looking at something with at least 1GB of RAM due to the high resolution (3840x1080).

Budget is < $100. Ideally the card has solid drivers for Mint 13 (based on Ubuntu 12.04).

Any recommendations? Pardon me if this isn't the appropriate thread for this sort of question.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Splinter posted:

I'm looking for graphics card recommendations. I currently run 2 1080p monitors on a GeForce 7200 GS (256MB RAM) for software development work and general web browsing on Linux Mint 13 MATE with Compiz setup as the window manager. Graphics performance becomes sluggish when watching web video or when enabling some of the fancy Compiz settings. I'm looking for something that will run smoothly for general desktop use with all the fancy UI features turned on @ 1080p x2 (no gaming).

The computer is a Dell with a 2.66GHz Core2 quad core, 8GB RAM, PCI Express x16 and a 300W PSU. I can't get anything too beefy due to the limited space in the case (a long card won't fit) and low PSU wattage. I'm thinking I should be looking at something with at least 1GB of RAM due to the high resolution (3840x1080).

Budget is < $100. Ideally the card has solid drivers for Mint 13 (based on Ubuntu 12.04).

Any recommendations? Pardon me if this isn't the appropriate thread for this sort of question.

I'm fairly sure most nvidia and ati cards are (in one way or another) supported in linux now, so drivers shouldn't be too much of an issue. You sound like you already know what you're looking for; why not look up a suitable card then do a quick Google search for linux/mint 13 compatability? Hopefully that would yield some faster results for you - and if still unsure, ask again for compatibility of a specific card or for suggestions of compatible cards with similar specs.

Edit
The nvidia GeForce gtx 750 might be worth a look.

E2:
Beaten

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 18, 2014

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo Ă°ÂŸÂ’Â‹ Ă°ÂŸÂ™Â
Taco Defender

Splinter posted:

I grabbed a GTX750 for my development machine a couple months ago at just over $100 and it's working flawlessly at 1080p x 3 monitors with all the pretty effects turned on. You can probably go cheaper though. I would avoid AMD cards because in my experience the linux drivers are always absolute garbage compared to nvidia. (maybe this has changed?)

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Does anyone know how I can make my windows transparent with hotkeys in Arch Linux using openbox and xcompmgr-dana?

A long time ago (think I was using Mint) I had a setup where I could use alt + scroll wheel to adjust the transparency of the active window, and I'm looking to do something similar again.

Xcompmgr-dana has given me true transparency which I've tested with Terminator and tint2, so I've gotten that far at least.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I grabbed a GTX750 for my development machine a couple months ago at just over $100 and it's working flawlessly at 1080p x 3 monitors with all the pretty effects turned on. You can probably go cheaper though. I would avoid AMD cards because in my experience the linux drivers are always absolute garbage compared to nvidia. (maybe this has changed?)

I would also go for nvidia on linux, much better driver support. gtx 750 seems like the right choice.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I may have posted about this before, but my biggest issue right now, and the one that is making me reconsider going back to Windows 8, is the massive audio lag I get from any streaming video.

Youtube/Hulu/Twitch/Vimeo, anything.

Usually the delay is very minor, but any CPU usage that I do such as working in another window, or if the video is high quality, or if the video is embedded on a page with a lot of stuff (like a FunnyOrDie video) it will delay up to 1-2 seconds. It's extremely annoying and frustrating.

I didn't have this problem in Windows 8.

I have a Lenovo Z400 Touch laptop, core i5-3230M, and 8gb of RAM, so I don't think my hardware is the problem.

If anyone can solve this problem you'd be my hero.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

the posted:

I may have posted about this before, but my biggest issue right now, and the one that is making me reconsider going back to Windows 8, is the massive audio lag I get from any streaming video.

Youtube/Hulu/Twitch/Vimeo, anything.

Usually the delay is very minor, but any CPU usage that I do such as working in another window, or if the video is high quality, or if the video is embedded on a page with a lot of stuff (like a FunnyOrDie video) it will delay up to 1-2 seconds. It's extremely annoying and frustrating.

I didn't have this problem in Windows 8.

I have a Lenovo Z400 Touch laptop, core i5-3230M, and 8gb of RAM, so I don't think my hardware is the problem.

If anyone can solve this problem you'd be my hero.

Out of interest, is it only flash videos you're having trouble with, or is it all video types? Are you streaming through a browser? If so, which one?

Which flash plugin are you using?

E:
If you're using Firefox, there's a known sound delay bug.
Perhaps try:

quote:

What you can do is create a script that sets the variable, then launches Firefox.

Just run 'sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/firefox'. Then paste the following into the file and save:

#!/bin/bash
export PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=20
exec /usr/bin/firefox "$@"

Then run 'sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/firefox'.

This will intercept launches of firefox and set the environment variable first.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 18, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Does totem, vlc or mplayer show similar issues? Which browser are you using? Does using the HTML5 mode of YouTube fix it?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How do you find the ami # for AWS Marketplace images? (such as this one: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00A6KUVBW)

It's easy to find the ami # for Community AMIs, I can't find it for the marketplace ones though...

edit: I guess you have to "subscribe" to them first before they reveal the ami id. Any way to do that without launching an instance and then destroying it?

fletcher fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 18, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Suspicious Dish posted:

Does totem, vlc or mplayer show similar issues? Which browser are you using? Does using the HTML5 mode of YouTube fix it?

I'm using Chrome. I don't notice any delays with that. VLC plays fine. How do I check the HTML5 mode on Youtube?

edit: I think I nailed down the issue, maybe:

I have a bluetooth speaker hooked up to the laptop, an Oontz. I just disconnected it and tried playing a 1080p Youtube video while doing a bunch of poo poo and there was no delay.

Just reconnected the speaker, and it happened again.

I guess that's the problem? Weird. Maybe the system has problem routing sound to bluetooth when there's a lot of cpu load. There will be these little "blips" and hiccups and the audio will get behind a half second or so.

the fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 18, 2014

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Do you guys know much about Tails? (https://tails.boum.org/)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Do you guys know much about Tails? (https://tails.boum.org/)

Sure :nsa:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Angelwolf, Illusive gently caress Man, fletcher posted:

GeForce GTX 750
Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I have a real weird problem and google is turning up nothing. I'm using the Cinnamon Desktop environment with Arch Linux. It installed perfectly fine and everything functions just like it would under Linux Mint. When I use the mouse to open the menu I quickly drag it down over it to get to the submenus to open up stuff or suspend the session. But when I do it randomly opens something along the path of the mouse.

The problem isn't with the mouse, I play plenty of FPS and Dota to confirm that there isn't any ghosting or double clicking. When I use the super key to open the menu and hover the mouse over in a similar manner I don't get this either. Anyone have an idea on how to diagnose and log this for a bug report, or if there is a solution I haven't googled up?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

YouTuber posted:

I have a real weird problem and google is turning up nothing. I'm using the Cinnamon Desktop environment with Arch Linux. It installed perfectly fine and everything functions just like it would under Linux Mint. When I use the mouse to open the menu I quickly drag it down over it to get to the submenus to open up stuff or suspend the session. But when I do it randomly opens something along the path of the mouse.

The problem isn't with the mouse, I play plenty of FPS and Dota to confirm that there isn't any ghosting or double clicking. When I use the super key to open the menu and hover the mouse over in a similar manner I don't get this either. Anyone have an idea on how to diagnose and log this for a bug report, or if there is a solution I haven't googled up?

Likely a late mouseup event.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I have the following grub entry:

menuentry "Debian" {
set iso="/mini.iso"
loopback loop $iso
linux (loop)/linux preseed/file=/preseed.cfg
initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

It boots, but fails and claims it cannot find preseed.cfg at the root when it clearly is located there. Is it still in the loop from the previous entry? How do I make it find the preseed file? What am I doing wrong? How can I debug this from grub?

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
I just noticed that my desktop is no longer booting quietly (which is only annoying because the boot messages are slowing things down when booting from an ssd...).

Kernel command line looks alright:
pre:
Jul 21 10:26:24 desktop kernel: Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=db12a778-3527-49fa-b19b-130b23bcaf45 rw quiet
Any ideas what could be going on? I'm on Arch.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
In Xubuntu I got rid of the menu bars for terminal windows, but now I want to change some of the preferences and settings for my terminal sessions- specifically choosing a different type of cursor (blinking underscore instead of blinking box). How can I get the menu bars back?

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

reading posted:

In Xubuntu I got rid of the menu bars for terminal windows, but now I want to change some of the preferences and settings for my terminal sessions- specifically choosing a different type of cursor (blinking underscore instead of blinking box). How can I get the menu bars back?

I assume you are using the standard xfce terminal. Just start a new terminal like this
pre:
xfce4-terminal --show-menubar

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

evol262 posted:

Likely a late mouseup event.

Bingo, a few google searches found a bug report for it. There are people arguing that it should remain because of the added snappiness despite it being a clear bug (who the gently caress wants random poo poo opened when you click to open a menu?) :dawkins101: I think I'll go find a new desktop environment.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/3116

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 21, 2014

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Megaman posted:

I have the following grub entry:

menuentry "Debian" {
set iso="/mini.iso"
loopback loop $iso
linux (loop)/linux preseed/file=/preseed.cfg
initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

It boots, but fails and claims it cannot find preseed.cfg at the root when it clearly is located there. Is it still in the loop from the previous entry? How do I make it find the preseed file? What am I doing wrong? How can I debug this from grub?

As soon as grub has completed loading the kernel and initrd, and passed control to the kernel, grub's loopback has done its job and goes *poof*. The preseed/file is just another parameter on the kernel command line, and it is interpreted by the installer environment.

The main part of the installer environment is a ramdisk-based root filesystem (either the initrd, or something set up by it). So unless you tinkered with the initrd.gz, your preseed.cfg won't be at the root directory of the installer environment.

As your description of what you're actually doing with that GRUB entry, was rather... non-existent, I'll have to take a wild guess and assume that you're building an installation USB stick or a similar non-CD installation media.

In that case, an example in https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed says:

DebianWiki posted:

- if you're installing from USB media (put the preconfiguration file in the
toplevel directory of the USB stick):
preseed/file=/hd-media/preseed.cfg

Apparently the installer environment tries to find the disk device that contains the installation media. If it is a CD/DVD, it gets mounted at /cdrom, but if it is something HDD-like, it goes to /hd-media (and, I guess, the mini.iso image on the HDD-like media then gets mounted at /cdrom). So your preseed file would then be at /hd-media/preseed.cfg.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

telcoM posted:

As soon as grub has completed loading the kernel and initrd, and passed control to the kernel, grub's loopback has done its job and goes *poof*. The preseed/file is just another parameter on the kernel command line, and it is interpreted by the installer environment.

The main part of the installer environment is a ramdisk-based root filesystem (either the initrd, or something set up by it). So unless you tinkered with the initrd.gz, your preseed.cfg won't be at the root directory of the installer environment.

As your description of what you're actually doing with that GRUB entry, was rather... non-existent, I'll have to take a wild guess and assume that you're building an installation USB stick or a similar non-CD installation media.

In that case, an example in https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed says:

Apparently the installer environment tries to find the disk device that contains the installation media. If it is a CD/DVD, it gets mounted at /cdrom, but if it is something HDD-like, it goes to /hd-media (and, I guess, the mini.iso image on the HDD-like media then gets mounted at /cdrom). So your preseed file would then be at /hd-media/preseed.cfg.

You're correct, this is a USB iso installation key.

Maybe I'm doing something incredibly stupid, but I've since changed it to this:

menuentry "Debian 7.6 mini.iso 64bit" {
set iso="/iso/mini.iso"
set preseed="preseed.cfg"
loopback loop $iso
linux (loop)/linux preseed/file=/hd-media/$preseed
initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

and it doesn't work still. The preseed.cfg file is at the root I can tab complete and cat it from within the grub console. Any ideas?

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Megaman posted:

You're correct, this is a USB iso installation key.

Maybe I'm doing something incredibly stupid, but I've since changed it to this:

menuentry "Debian 7.6 mini.iso 64bit" {
set iso="/iso/mini.iso"
set preseed="preseed.cfg"
loopback loop $iso
linux (loop)/linux preseed/file=/hd-media/$preseed
initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

and it doesn't work still. The preseed.cfg file is at the root I can tab complete and cat it from within the grub console. Any ideas?

Does the installer allow you to get a root prompt by pressing Ctrl-Alt-<function key>?
If that is enabled at the point the installation is failing, take a peek at /proc/mounts to see the actual filesystem layout.

I don't have time to experiment with grub right now, but it might be as simple as GRUB preserving the quotes around your preseed file name, causing the installer to look for a preseed file named literally /hd-media/"preseed.cfg". Which is obviously completely different from /hd-media/preseed.cfg. :downs:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm a little unclear about how GRUB2 works and how exactly it works when booting from an mdadm device.

Should it be installed on /dev/md0 or on the underlying devices or on both the underlying devices and on md0?

unixman9000
Aug 6, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I'm a little unclear about how GRUB2 works and how exactly it works when booting from an mdadm device.

Should it be installed on /dev/md0 or on the underlying devices or on both the underlying devices and on md0?

You'd want to install grub on both of the physical disks. I don't think you need to install it on the md device.

unixman9000 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 22, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a kernel hacking question here. I'm trying to learn a little about kernel debugging, and wanted to follow a sequence I assume to be increasingly difficult:

1. Write a little kernel model that I can step and manipulate.
2. Make that module poo poo itself on demand, and be able to debug.
3. Sabotage a little bit of the kernel to die on demand like #2.
4. Sabotage the kernel somewhere so it panics at a fixed, consistent spot during bootup.

I think I can figure out #1 and #2 since they're somewhat independent of wading through raw kernel source itself, but I was looking for help with #3 and #4 in kernel internals. What is a spot where I could do some deterministic sabotage in order to practice debug?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a kernel hacking question here. I'm trying to learn a little about kernel debugging, and wanted to follow a sequence I assume to be increasingly difficult:

4. Sabotage the kernel somewhere so it panics at a fixed, consistent spot during bootup.

I think I can figure out #1 and #2 since they're somewhat independent of wading through raw kernel source itself, but I was looking for help with #3 and #4 in kernel internals. What is a spot where I could do some deterministic sabotage in order to practice debug?

Exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

Is there a reason you couldn't just call panic() ?

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

1.)
Something like this freely-available book is probably going to contain examples of a "skeleton" kernel module. (Yup, Chapter 2, second page.)

The Documentation/kernel-docs.txt file in each kernel source code package contains a list of more reading material.

But stepping in a kernel code is going to be tricky: remember that the kernel code is part of your underlying operating system, so if the code you're single-stepping takes a lock that prevents some essential I/O until released, you might suddenly be unable to interact with your debugger at all. And as you cannot interact with your debugger, you cannot continue stepping through your code to the point that releases the lock... so you've now deadlocked your OS.

So I would recommend developing things one step at a time and using a lot of printf() printk()'s.

Of course, you can have kgdb and communicate with it over a serial or UDP network connection from... another computer that runs the debugger UI.

2.) The easiest way to do this would be to build a module that calls panic() on load, or when the /proc or /sys pseudo-file it set up is diddled.

3.) How about having your module use the power management functions to unexpectedly turn some parts of the PCI bus off? (No on-disk stack trace in the logs for you if you switch off the disk controller; no display if you switch off the GPU.) Please use a VM or a throw-away OS installation for this: data corruption is possible.

4.) Just have the evil module you wrote for 2) or 3) load at at boot. An easy case would be a module that loads with a regular /etc/init.d startup script (or with a new-fangled systemd service or whatever); more tricky would be having the evil module be included in initrd and be loaded before the root filesystem is mounted.

Or modify your root filesystem driver to call panic() as soon as anyone attempts to open a particular file. With a bit of effort, this might produce a stack trace that would look at least superficially like a real filesystem driver bug.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using Arch Linux for a few years and been loving it but I'm ready to jump ship after my tenth evening lost to debugging systemd and D-Bus. Could somebody recommend a distro that doesn't have all the freedesktop.org crap (what's the opposite of suckless?) or is it time I switched to a BSD?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

xtal posted:

I've been using Arch Linux for a few years and been loving it but I'm ready to jump ship after my tenth evening lost to debugging systemd and D-Bus. Could somebody recommend a distro that doesn't have all the freedesktop.org crap (what's the opposite of suckless?) or is it time I switched to a BSD?

"Can somebody recommend a distro that doesn't follow standards or participate in the larger community?" -> Windows/OSX. BSD also follows/implements freedesktop standards.

Instead, can you elaborate exactly what your problems with systemd and dbus were, and why you're convinced they're not just a problem with the backwards Arch community? They're heavily used on a lot of other distros, and there are no compelling technical arguments against them (quite the opposite).

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

evol262 posted:

"Can somebody recommend a distro that doesn't follow standards or participate in the larger community?" -> Windows/OSX. BSD also follows/implements freedesktop standards.

Instead, can you elaborate exactly what your problems with systemd and dbus were, and why you're convinced they're not just a problem with the backwards Arch community? They're heavily used on a lot of other distros, and there are no compelling technical arguments against them (quite the opposite).

D-Bus, PulseAudio and systemd are rightfully absent from many, many Linuxes and BSDs. I just want to find one that's similar to Arch. Right now my eyes are on Crux and Slackware, could anybody help me decide?

#include <http://ewontfix.com/14/>

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 22, 2014

Megaman
May 8, 2004

telcoM posted:

Does the installer allow you to get a root prompt by pressing Ctrl-Alt-<function key>?
If that is enabled at the point the installation is failing, take a peek at /proc/mounts to see the actual filesystem layout.

I don't have time to experiment with grub right now, but it might be as simple as GRUB preserving the quotes around your preseed file name, causing the installer to look for a preseed file named literally /hd-media/"preseed.cfg". Which is obviously completely different from /hd-media/preseed.cfg. :downs:

So I dropped to console, and low and behold it's not mounted. The only things that are mounted are:

/
/run
/proc
/sys
/dev
/dev/pts

How do I get this mounted? If I try to mount /dev/sda1 (which is the USB to iso is being installed from) on /mnt it fails with "mount: mounting /dev/sad1 on /mnt/ failed: no such file or directory, which is odd because they both exist.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
When I create an application launcher in GNOME 2.16.0, I assume it's creating a file in some folder somewhere? Where is that folder? I want to be able to create them in a script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

xtal posted:

D-Bus, PulseAudio and systemd are rightfully absent from many, many Linuxes and BSDs. I just want to find one that's similar to Arch. Right now my eyes are on Crux and Slackware, could anybody help me decide?

#include <http://ewontfix.com/14/>

This article is aggressively misleading, technically wrong in some places, castigates systemd for problems sysvinit and other init systems share, and lumps the entire systemd project into a single daemon. It is the epitome of FUD.

It also ignores that even openbsd is pitching a compat layer and utterly fails to address free desktop projects which are not the target of curmudeons, as well as attempting to mire Linux into a 1990s development mentality where some idea of "Unix purity" supercedes usability, sane APIs, and development.

More than anything, it completely fails to answer my question. What actual problems did you encounter, and why do you blame them on systemd?

E: Slackware is fine, but it has the same arch/gentoo problem: enthusiasts "helping" (sometimes for real, sometimes not) enthusiasts, little interaction with upstream, and a "tmtowtdi" attitude which leaves a potpourri of problems only present in that distro. See also: everything canonical does with unity and the bugs they still suffer which are fixed upstream because it's not a mess of a small Dev team attempting to solve the world's problems.

For better or worse (better), systemd has won, and freedesktop is the future. Even on BSD. Not systemd on BSD necessarily, but the world is moving on, and eschewing standards will mean dwindling compatibility with music players, browsers, flash plugins, desktop environments, etc.

If you really want to avoid systemd (even if your problems are likely not systemd), freebsd is a better pick than any Linux distro, as they'll maintain enough independent engineering to skip udev and pulse (pulse for now, at least). But you're gonna have to live with dbus

evol262 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 23, 2014