Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What if we could combine jorts with socks?

Call them Jocks.

No, wait, that's not right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was researching a thing, and i found this image from the US federal vehicle size regulations.

I don't know what the gently caress. This is legal as long as the over all length is MORE than 75 feet long. It's pretty normal for this to be used for new truck deliveries and such, but their example has the vehicle at the end of the train hauling a load.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

I just read this on Jalopnik:

http://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-seized-40-land-rovers-imported-to-the-u-s-1605985758

Now, I can fully understand that there is an issue with something like a Landie being able to be artificially aged to meet the age requirement for importation... But on the other hand, you can just as easily make a 30-year-old one into something that could have rolled out the factory yesterday.

Leaving aside the nonsensical nature of the laws in question, and the issue of the owners they have been seized from not actually having been the ones who imported them... Do they actually have anyone who knows these things (and I mean who knows them) well enough to be able to actually make the call on what they're really looking at?

I'd just stick the spare set of pads in my tools/spares kit.

You know, when I first heard the name Homeland Security, I thought it was some kind of joke, because it sounds like something out of 1984.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Are they all going to be the same socks, or do you get a large variety? My sock preferences change from year to year and also depending on the season. With shorts it's just low cut synthetic below the ankle socks that you mostly can't see. With pants I have wool, cotton, synthetic, and different colors and patterns depending on the shoes and clothes I'm wearing. Last winter it was a pretty even mix of argyle and bright colors and stripes. Then as they wear out (my favorite purple argyle socks had to go in the trash recently) I buy new stuff that I like.

As far as brands go, for casual stuff I used to like the gap but recently it has gone down in quality. Current favourites are eddie bauer. Banana republic, the same company as gap, has better patterns and nicer stuff but there isn't one in town. American Eagle socks are cheap and not bad. For hiking/active type stuff I have a pair of really awesome keen wool socks and some smartwool stuff. They are like $20 a pair but totally worth it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 17, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jamal posted:

Are they all going to be the same socks, or do you get a large variety? My sock preferences change from year to year and also depending on the season. With shorts it's just low cut synthetic below the ankle socks that you mostly can't see. With pants I have wool, cotton, synthetic, and different colors and patterns depending on the shoes and clothes I'm wearing. Last winter it was a pretty even mix of argyle and bright colors and stripes. Then as they wear out (my favorite purple argyle socks had to go in the trash recently) I buy new stuff that I like.

I have worn essentially the same style sock for the better part of the last 5 years. Ankle-length white socks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Somebody has a joejam fetish

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have been wearing my issued GI green socks for three years.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
As someone who is active duty, I would loving love to wear new socks every day of my life. I ask for just black crew socks every loving year for birthday and Christmas, and I might get eight pairs total.

Its like, bitch that'll last me less than two weeks. Every time I grab a pair of socks I just pray they don't have a hole in them that my boots hit.

So what I'm saying is I would totally pay $100/yr to wear new loving socks daily, and just give my once used pair to little border kids being held in camps.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Rhyno learn how to stitch patterns and make a thread on the SA mart for custom socks

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy crap you guys put too much thought into socks. :stare: I can see that if you wear, say, dress shoes, slacks, etc to work, but I just buy whatever brand is cheapest and lowest cut (generally the "no show", which still show, the name is a lie) at Wal-Mart. If I'm actually going to be active (beyond my normal daily stuff), I have a few pairs of low cut Adidas socks. Even if I'm in slacks and dress shoes, I prefer just lowish cut black socks. I can't stand how "nice" socks (the poo poo you're supposed to wear with slacks and dress shoes) feel.

Then again, my "daily" shoes rotate between about 3 different pairs of DC shoes (one pair is 4 years old at this point and should be junked, but they're solid black, so I can wear them to work) and a pair of Vans. I have some lovely $25 kitchen shoes that I'm supposed to wear at work, but the DCs actually slip less. And don't hurt my feet.

Rhyno posted:

Now accepting donations for the fullfillment of Rhyno's sock dream.

With or without male fluids?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I bought rear pads for my MS3. I never needed them even with 124k on the loving car. :stare: Remember what I said about being afraid to brake deep? I think it's perpetually ingrained from the poo poo brakes my GMC has had forever...

I've owned 8 cars. Out of all of them, I've only replaced rear brakes twice. Once on my F-150 (oh god I still have nightmares about drum brakes, and that was nearly 20 years ago), once on my Integra. The Integra got new rotors on all 4 corners (all 4 had stress cracks) + new Goodridge braided lines (original calipers, original master, original hardlines) and new AutoZone pads (whatever the highest end pads they had 10 years ago were). Went from having to stomp really hard to lock them up to the drat thing locking up all 4 if I sneezed while braking, I'm guessing the old rubber lines had seen better days. drat near got rearended several times the next few days while I re-learned how to break brake.

I think someone drove the Ion with the "make the car smell funny" lever up a few times, if I really lay into the brakes I get some grinding from the right rear (and it won't lock the RR wheel, which makes for fun if I stomp the brakes).. I need to get off my rear end and do something about that. I've put over 30k on it since I've had it, haven't touched the brakes yet. Front rotors need turning or replacement, but the pads still have plenty of meat. :psyduck: The city I do delivery in has a lot of 45-55 mph roads, with lovely timing on the traffic lights, so just as I get up to speed, the next light changes... :fuckoff:

meatpimp posted:

Amazon's got 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for $22.66/Prime. 10W and 5W-30, at least... those are the ones I checked. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I4E91GI/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

amazon.com posted:

Usually ships within 3 to 6 weeks.

Walmart stocks both regular Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance for $22.88 around here, in the common weights. And I can have it in my hands today. I'm paying sales tax either way, but I'll gladly pay the extra 22 cents to have it today. and the Wal-Mart I usually shop at carries an OEM AC Delco filter for my car for $7. They're also open at 2am, which is when I usually get out of work.

I really need to get a handful of Wix filters; it's not worth ordering 1 or 2 at a time, and not worth ordering a case in my eyes (since I only change it 2-3x a year.. probably once a year once I get the gently caress out of delivery) but IIRC Napa Gold filters are Wix, right?

some texas redneck posted:

I was supposed to have a meeting with the owner of my store in about 2 hours about a "promotion" (yay 30c/hour more so I can do exactly what I already do, except with a new nametag that had "Trainer" added). I don't think I'm even going to make it to work today.

Wound up not going in. My boss is a bit pissed, since I was the closer (also texted him at 5am, when he hates getting late night/early AM texts), but gently caress it, I got to spend time with dying STR catte; probably not going in tomorrow either (though tomorrow's shift is just a short shift - 3 hours). I'm one of two drivers in the store who can break 6 deliveries an hour without breaking a sweat (or speeding) - I actually hit 8 in under an hour on Tuesday with a little creative dispatching (I was dispatched under 3 different names on one trip, half of them were assigned to managers, as anything more than two orders out at once for one driver means an rear end chewing for the manager who dispatched it, plus a write-up - got my mileage and everything, so I give no fucks who it gets dispatched under). As far as the computer (and company) is concerned, 2 of the 3 managers on the clock had to go out on deliveries for awhile. The managers will wind up paying the taxes on the tips I got on those orders though. :smuggo:

Cat's still alive, somehow (but he's miserable) - e-vet wanted basically a small fortune to do the deed, and my regular vet is on vacation until tomorrow. :sigh: Deposited my paycheck yesterday, should clear tomorrow, so I'll be able to have my regular vet handle it. :catstare:

Terrible Robot posted:

drat, I'm sorry to hear about your cat, STR :(

:glomp:

Sorry to poo poo up the thread with dying cat stuff guys. :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 17, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Holy crap you guys put too much thought into socks. :stare: I can see that if you wear, say, dress shoes, slacks, etc to work, but I just buy whatever brand is cheapest and lowest cut (generally the "no show", which still show, the name is a lie) at Wal-Mart. If I'm actually going to be active (beyond my normal daily stuff), I have a few pairs of low cut Adidas socks. Even if I'm in slacks and dress shoes, I prefer just lowish cut black socks. I can't stand how "nice" socks (the poo poo you're supposed to wear with slacks and dress shoes) feel.

Then again, my "daily" shoes rotate between about 3 different pairs of DC shoes (one pair is 4 years old at this point and should be junked, but they're solid black, so I can wear them to work) and a pair of Vans. I have some lovely $25 kitchen shoes that I'm supposed to wear at work, but the DCs actually slip less. And don't hurt my feet.

OK, that's it, we're revoking your gay card. You don't care nearly enough about your appearance to be in the cool kids club anymore. You'll have to sit at the table in the corner with all the straight guys who're picking their noses and wiping it on their shirts. :colbert:

(seriously, having a variety of socks to match the occasion is awesome. I have huge piles of the cheapest white crew socks I can get for work, then a whole drawer of dress socks in various black, navy, striped, and argyle patterns for when I'm doing basically anything except work.)

Also, condolences on the cat, losing a pet sucks hardcore :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

making GBS threads up a thread with dying catte stuff is a pretty excusable thing. :smith:

Found the $40 gift card to Rural King (Kind of like a more redneck wal-mart I guess?) a buddy and his fiance gave me for christmas. Gonna spend it on shiny new tools. :toot:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ask me again how many fucks I give about my gay card. :haw: (possibly :nws: if your employer is scared of some body hair)

*fires snot rocket, wipes nose on random piece of clothing from the floor*

Just don't tell the "I'm straight, but curious" guys that I lost the card. Or hell, maybe you should, it might get me laid this week month quarter.

Elmnt80 posted:

Found the $40 gift card to Rural King (Kind of like a more redneck wal-mart I guess?) a buddy and his fiance gave me for christmas. Gonna spend it on shiny new tools. :toot:

I found a really old Starbucks gift card the other day while helping mom clean out a closet, along with my first ever actual debit card (from Bank One, it expired in 2000 I think), an ancient drivers license that expired in 2001, and my old "license" for Malibu SpeedZone. I had no idea she was hoarding my old wallets. :psypop:

The Starbucks card still has :20bux: on it, according to their website. It's old enough that the "PIN" on it is part of the card number, instead of scratch to reveal. It's likely from about... 2000?

Too bad I don't really drink coffee, and prefer local coffee shops when I do want coffee or tea, but they have some yummy looking overpriced sandwiches.

e: holy gently caress, my favorite ever snack food, a grilled cheese sandwich, apparently has 13 grams of saturated fat (65% recommended daily intake) if they prepare it. I used to eat stacks of those as a kid, and still do after :350:. No wonder my cholesterol is so hosed.

rscott posted:

One of about three people in my life who I care deeply about thinks I'm a worthless piece of poo poo and it kind of makes me want to consume a vast amount of mind numbing substances

Been there done that. :sigh: Those are the hardest relationships to write off and move on from; I've had a couple of those that have left me pretty jaded, and wary of forming new friendships. I'm just an rear end in a top hat to everyone now; the ones that stick around either hate their life, or they return the same level of rear end in a top hat and we become BFFs. If they wind up being a bigger rear end in a top hat, we either fight or gently caress.

(oh god, I've turned into Rhyno, haven't I?) (yes I know I'm damaged)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 17, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

rscott posted:

One of about three people in my life who I care deeply about thinks I'm a worthless piece of poo poo and it kind of makes me want to consume a vast amount of mind numbing substances

I've been there.
I wish I could say something to make it better but I can't.

All I can say is move on with your life and pick up something new to do, and hopefully you'll find someone to replace them with.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like the vet visit won't be necessary after all.

Rest in peace, jerk cat. :cry:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 17, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Looks like the vet visit won't be necessary after all.

Rest in peace, jerk cat. :cry:

drat, sorry for your loss STR
RIP cat :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

gently caress. Sorry, STR.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
RIP, moody catte :smith:

Always sucks losing a pet, sorry again man.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's part of life. Sadly, a painful part of life, especially when you rehab a nearly feral cat into "hey jackass, I'm gonna jump on the bed, then curl up on your chest, and you're gonna deal with it, k? Otherwise you're gonna need stitches. Either way, you're my loving bitch for now, GOT IT?". :catstare:

Honestly, I'm shocked he held on as long as he did; the bloodwork from nearly 2 months ago was basically "yup, he's completely hosed - here's prescription food, but he might last a week.. might last 2 years.. probably closer to a week". I'm pretty sure the only reason he stuck around so long is someone under this roof was forcing food and water into him :sigh: (well I know she was, they kept coming up with reasons to explain his lack of hunger away, always showing up with empty syringes that had been used for force feeding.. you know, anything other than the whole "his kidneys and liver are 150% hosed, he's 14 years old, and he's been trying to knock up Death's girlfriend for the past 2 months"). Watch an episode of Family Guy that has Death in the episode; in a nutshell, my cat did the voiceover work. I even took him outside and gave him a shitton of :420: smoke a couple of weeks ago - it stimulated his appetite a little, but not nearly as much as it used to.

(he used to climb in my lap whenever I smoked :420: and get downright angry if I didn't send some smoke his way)

While I wish he was still with me, I have major objections to force feeding. If he doesn't want to eat, and the vet says there's nothing they can do except "let him live out his days in comfort at home, or we can stick him" (not exact words, but...), then either let nature do its thing, or get the vet to stick him - if he doesn't have an appetite, it's basically because he's ready to die. Pets don't have the whole life/death complex that humans have, they know when they're dying, and they generally accept it (with cats, it's usually by hiding under low furniture the day before, then you get to play the "find the dead animal smell" game). Don't keep looking up ways to force feed a dying animal on YouTube, just to keep him around for another few weeks when he's obviously in pain. :smithicide:

Rant over. Sorry.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 17, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Whoever built this building needs to eat poo poo. This wall is 3 cinderblocks thick with rebar in the middle. I spent 45 minutes yesterday trying to hammer drill two 1" holes through it and didn't even finish the first one before we got too many noise complaints and had to stop for the day. Just got here a little early before the buding opens up to try and finish. Wish me luck.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
On my first road trip in the mustang. Nothing crazy, 800 miles or so. After a few hours of driving I start to smell something funny, reminding me of warm electronics or metal. Sniff around inside the car, wheels, under the hood. Nothing. Turns out a thick plastic bag got caught on my catalytic converter and melted all over it. Messy, but a relief to see.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Changing gear oil on the Beetle. Stole an idea from a friend (and it worked)

(his picture)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rant over. Sorry.

Don't be, dude. RIP STR catte. You were too good for this world.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

RIP kitty. Sorry for your loss, STR. I dread the day when it comes time for my pup to move on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
STR, please take your ghost catte chat somewhere else. The only feelings allowed in AI are bruised knuckles, the smell of gear oil, and chlorinated brake cleaner. :colbert:

(rip str catte)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My 12 year old Calico was given a month to a year to live last year when her kidneys almost completely shut down. She's still active and happy but she's super skinny even though we give her all the canned food she wants. She stopped wanting to come inside a few weeks ago, I expect one day she'll just wander off into the woods and not come back. We've had her since she was only 2 weeks old, my mom bottle fed and carried her around in a pouch for several weeks until she was old enough.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

RIP STR catte :( may you reincarnate as a lion and rule your pride with honour.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

And the shop just dropped off a 6ft. long 1-3/16" drill bit to get through the wall. Fucker is huge.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Sorry for your loss STR.

I dread the day our first dogs go. Our terrier is 15yrs old, and the poodle almost 14.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
RIP STR catte :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Phone posted:

STR, please take your ghost catte chat somewhere else. The only feelings allowed in AI are bruised knuckles, the smell of gear oil, and chlorinated brake cleaner. :colbert:

(rip str catte)

On that note, I just changed the gear oil in the beetle today. Mmmm, tasty.

Also, does anybody know how to get blood out of a PO's carpet?

:stonklol: :redhammer:

(BTW: I'm not ignoring your loss, STR. I just lost my 16 year old cat a few months ago, and it's still a very :cry: subject for me. I'm sorry for your loss, sincerely.)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Lost two of my dogs this year. Deepest sympathies. :(

piss boner
May 17, 2003

RIP STR cat

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elmnt80 posted:

Now if only they would extend dart into Arlington. It was the largest city in the US with no public transportation system and last time I was there visiting, nothing had changed.

See below.

Shifty Pony posted:

Here in Austin they don't have room to shove in new highways so they are taking the breakdown lanes of Mopac and possible 183 and adding tolled lanes. Mopac is an absolute clown show at the moment. Oh and we'll probably kill off the light rail proposal because the route chosen happens to serve minorities.

What a loving joke this state is if you don't have the favor of Perry and Abbott.

That pretty much goes for Arlington. They'll never have a rail or bus system, because that would just encourage the poors, which they don't want. Never mind that half the town is low-income Mexican families...

e: dammit. STR: I know they all go, eventually, but it still sucks. I'll probably be the most unmanly ever when our Spaniel passes (years away - he's still pretty young.) I often marvel at the psychology that allows us to live, happily even, when we know - absolutely know - that we, and everyone around us, will die. I think that's why we have a sense of humor. It's the only way to deal with the joke.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 17, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Farewell STR catte; STR human take care of yourself, I know that poo poo's rough. We put our dog down in February, I'm mostly over it but I still feel sad occasionally, like seeing people post about poo poo their dogs do and I think "Haha, she totally does that... or used to. dammit."

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 215 days!)

Walmart stocks both regular Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance for $22.88 around here, in the common weights. And I can have it in my hands today. I'm paying sales tax either way, but I'll gladly pay the extra 22 cents to have it today. and the Wal-Mart I usually shop at carries an OEM AC Delco filter for my car for $7. They're also open at 2am, which is when I usually get out of work.

I came to post pretty much this - I bought some 0w30 and 0w40 today for essentially the same price, and didn't have to wait 3 weeks for it.I'm waiting 9 or so weeks for a trusted brand of electrolytic capacitors, though. Gee- I could get some super cheap ones from Asia on eBay for pennies, shipped! Yeah, no. Not when my eReputation is riding on it.

Gonna go snuggle SAABdog now. She is a spoiled rotten bitch, but she's MY spoiled rotten bitch.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
NAPA Gold filters say made by Wix on the box for whoever was asking halfway up the page. The man at NAPA always talks me out of doing things the cheap way and into doing them the expensive way. He's a bad man :(

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

thebigcow posted:

NAPA Gold filters say made by Wix on the box for whoever was asking halfway up the page. The man at NAPA always talks me out of doing things the cheap way and into doing them the expensive way. He's a bad man :(

Sounds like the NAPA man understands the concept of "do it right or do it twice".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Paging Cakefool:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alvis-Sta...=item27e7119fff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh by the way, since I'm the one that originally asked about oil I thought I'd mention I just picked up some synthetic motorcraft with a motorcraft filter even though no one recommended either of them. I am that guy who doesn't listen to advice given, sorry. :(

• Locked thread