Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
As long as that ilevel weapons/armor chart keeps getting updated I'll keep reading the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you're a healer, here's how you get credit in hunts. If you're a WHM, set up a macro for benediction that targets the target's target. /ac benediction <tt> should get it done. As soon as the mob is pulled, use that macro. The overture will immediately give you enough enmity that you'll get full credit. If you're not for some reason, swiftcast a medica II after. As a scholar, do the same but with lustrate, succor, and whispering dawn from eos. You'll have to do a little more here. I think a lustrate on <tt>, swiftcast succor, lustrate again, and then whatever. Trigger Eos' whispering dawn at some point in there.

If you're a tank, just turn on defiance or shield oath and tomahawk/shield lob a few times. If you really want, you can probably get off a full butchers block or rage of halone on A marks before they go down, but in my experience it's unnecessary.

If you're a DPS, get into a party with some tanks/healers that are doing the above. BLM should fire 3 or flare and follow up with scathe until it's dead. SMN should be spamming ruin 2 along with whatever quick attacks you can get off. DRG should be fine by doing a spineshatter dive, a full thrust combo, and other jumps/leg sweep in between the combo skills. I can't say the best way for BRD and MNK to go because I'm just not familiar with those classes. If you are a bard, for the love of god don't use any buffs or anything while targeting the mob or you'll start to auto attack. Similarly, SMN should keep their pets on obey and make sure you don't use any skills either lest they start auto attacking.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Mordiceius posted:

I have a problem.

Same. My excuse being I was playing with friends for a while, and didn't want to pass them in progression too much, so I spent a lot of time crafting until I got addicted and kept it up after they quit.

Thread title: maybe something about the free weekend starting tomorrow? (then we'll change it again Monday)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hey black mage people, how do I use Flare? I'm 49 so I haven't actually gotten it yet, but it seems like a pretty important skill to understand. What situations will I use it in, and what's the best way to milk it considering its taxing MP cost? Also, any advice for black mage pvp? I don't plan on spending a lot of time doing it, but a friend of mine wants to mess around with it and I've enjoyed the few 4v4s I've done with people in mumble on my marauder.

re the OP: It was incredibly helpful when I came back for 2.2, and a friend of mine who started playing just before 2.3 found a lot of good info in there too, so people do read it.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 17, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The best way to get credit in hunts is to kill them without telling the whole server.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Countblanc posted:

Hey black mage people, how do I use Flare? I'm 49 so I haven't actually gotten it yet, but it seems like a pretty important skill to understand. What situations will I use it in, and what's the best way to milk it considering its taxing MP cost?

Also re the OP: It was incredibly helpful when I came back for 2.2, and a friend of mine who started playing just before 2.3 found a lot of good info in there too, so people do read it.

I use it for AOEs exclusively. If Conversion is up, you can toss out a Flare > Conversion > Swiftcast > Flare, otherwise my rotation is Fire III > Fire II > Flare > Transpose and repeat until mobs are dead. (Fire II is in there just to fill time because otherwise you'll cast Flare and Transpose will still be on cooldown, skip it on the initial set) You can also Flare > Conversion > Flare > Mega Ether > Flare, if you wanna toss out three in a row. (You need somewhere around 250 MP minimum to cast Flare, so an Ether or Hi-Ether will not work)

I never cast Flare on a single target, and I never cast Flare while not in Astral Fire III.

edit: Oh, and this may go without saying, but make sure the mob you're targeting when you cast Flare has plenty of HP. Flare has a very long cast and it's really annoying to have it interrupted because someone else killed your target.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 17, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Countblanc posted:

Hey black mage people, how do I use Flare? I'm 49 so I haven't actually gotten it yet, but it seems like a pretty important skill to understand. What situations will I use it in, and what's the best way to milk it considering its taxing MP cost? Also, any advice for black mage pvp? I don't plan on spending a lot of time doing it, but a friend of mine wants to mess around with it and I've enjoyed the few 4v4s I've done with people in mumble on my marauder.

re the OP: It was incredibly helpful when I came back for 2.2, and a friend of mine who started playing just before 2.3 found a lot of good info in there too, so people do read it.

Use it near the end of your Astral rotation, you need at least 250 (might be a tad lower but this is the only time I've seen it castable) MP to use it. What I usually do is hardcast Flare, Convert, Fire I, Swiftcast Flare, Transpose. You can ether for a third Flare as well.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Doublestep posted:

Use it near the end of your Astral rotation, you need at least 250 (might be a tad lower but this is the only time I've seen it castable) MP to use it. What I usually do is hardcast Flare, Convert, Fire I, Swiftcast Flare, Transpose. You can ether for a third Flare as well.

266. Use flare when swiftcast convert is up for ST.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Belzac posted:

The best way to get credit in hunts is to kill them without telling the whole server.

Nah. You can get full credit with just one or two hits without being a dick. Mobs go down faster so you're able to gain seals faster.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah. You can get full credit with just one or two hits without being a dick. Mobs go down faster so you're able to gain seals faster.

Yes it is very nice to zone into an S rank and get 5 seals because your client can't handle the load and crashes and/or culls and/or your healers can't even tag the boss due to one or more of the above.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Mr. Nice! posted:

for the love of god don't use any buffs or anything while targeting the mob or you'll start to auto attack.

What's bad about auto-attacking when fighting marks?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mobs go down faster so you're able to gain seals faster.

Kill speed is not the limiting factor on hunts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pksage posted:

What's bad about auto-attacking when fighting marks?

Pulling early.

KaneTW posted:

Yes it is very nice to zone into an S rank and get 5 seals because your client can't handle the load and crashes and/or culls and/or your healers can't even tag the boss due to one or more of the above.

Can you not handle an Odin or Behemoth spawn? Because the S ranks are given the exact same priority. If the mob disappears, just move left or right and it will come back. Healers don't have to actually hit the boss. A single benediction or 2-3 lustrates is enough for max credit on pretty much everything. If they're not getting at least that off, they aren't doing their job.

mightygerm posted:

Kill speed is not the limiting factor on hunts.

It's been the only limiting factor on any hunts I've been a part of, and I've ran with the giant train of 150+ people to every little B rank mob that spawns.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Killing a mob in 10 seconds and getting 1 seal is faster than killing a mob in 15 seconds and getting 5 seals.

This is math I can agree with.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I'm not even sure what anyone is arguing anymore.

If you are in a group hunting seals, its super easy to get seals. If you aren't then its hard. That's all hunts are, being in a group, spamming medica 2.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It's ok, we'll continue to have difference of opinions on hunt and we'll continue to be "jerks" by not allowing the whole server to train A ranks all day. You can still go after Bs or whatever though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doublestep posted:

Killing a mob in 10 seconds and getting 1 seal is faster than killing a mob in 15 seconds and getting 5 seals.

This is math I can agree with.

That's not at all what happens and if you're not getting full credit someone in your party isn't doing their job.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Can you not handle an Odin or Behemoth spawn? Because the S ranks are given the exact same priority. If the mob disappears, just move left or right and it will come back. Healers don't have to actually hit the boss. A single benediction or 2-3 lustrates is enough for max credit on pretty much everything. If they're not getting at least that off, they aren't doing their job.

The client can't handle loading huge amounts of players repeatedly and will crash after slowing down to a grind. An issue that never came up before hunt swarming was a thing. When 4 out of 8 people in your group crash because of that, good luck getting any contribution at all. And no, on a S rank that's definitely not enough to get credit.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's been the only limiting factor on any hunts I've been a part of, and I've ran with the giant train of 150+ people to every little B rank mob that spawns.

Yes, the limiting factor totally is kill speed and not the fact that hunt mobs are a limited supply. Never mind that with 150 people, a B rank dies literally in 1 hit from each and an A rank in 4. You know, making it spread out enough that even with heal threat it's not possible to get full credit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KaneTW posted:

The client can't handle loading huge amounts of players repeatedly and will crash after slowing down to a grind. An issue that never came up before hunt swarming was a thing. When 4 out of 8 people in your group crash because of that, good luck getting any contribution at all. And no, on a S rank that's definitely not enough to get credit.

Yes, the limiting factor totally is kill speed and not the fact that hunt mobs are a limited supply. Never mind that with 150 people, a B rank dies literally in 1 hit from each and an A rank in 4. You know, making it spread out enough that even with heal threat it's not possible to get full credit.

I have ran into some issues with the client, but that's from very frequent teleporting from what I understand. Also, your party isn't doing what they're supposed to if you can't get full credit on a B or an A with the big group of people. It's stupid simple, and the only time I've ever had trouble not getting credit is when my party isn't all present. Even then, I've still got full credit pretty routinely with 2-3 people not even in zone. That was before they buffed the life of the hunt mobs. With the larger life pool, it's even easier as you get 2-3 GCDs for a B and 6-10 for As.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013
Why are you posting such terrible things? You're wrong on like every account here.

SpamPudding
Aug 5, 2013

:peanut:
So I've decided to finally bite the bullet and try to transfer over to Excal (after the free weekend of course), has anyone else who has been trying to transfer post 2.3 found a time of day that worked for them?

Also, I already made a character on the server months ago , so I could force a name change when I transfer, will I still be able to do the server transfer process all through Mog Station (after I've left my FC etc.) or will I need access to the client too? I'm going to a conference the next couple of days so I'm not going to have access to the client, which is why I'm taking this opportunity to finally transfer.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SpamPudding posted:

So I've decided to finally bite the bullet and try to transfer over to Excal (after the free weekend of course), has anyone else who has been trying to transfer post 2.3 found a time of day that worked for them?

Also, I already made a character on the server months ago , so I could force a name change when I transfer, will I still be able to do the server transfer process all through Mog Station (after I've left my FC etc.) or will I need access to the client too? I'm going to a conference the next couple of days so I'm not going to have access to the client, which is why I'm taking this opportunity to finally transfer.

I transferred over just fine earlier this week, Tuesday around 2PM (EST), a couple of friends were able to transfer the previous night around midnight. You should be able to do the entire process through the Mog Station, as long as there's nothing going on in-game to stop you like being in a FC or logging out in a residential district.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 17, 2014

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

quote:

flare stuff

Doing a swiftcast flare > convert > fire > blizz3 at the end of your fire rotations used to be good but now the damage gap between fire 3 and flare is pretty small so you might as well not bother. Unless raging strikes is almost run out. I usually time it so that if I don't get more than one firestarter proc I'll have just enough time to swiftcast flare before raging strikes falls off.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Klades posted:

Doing a swiftcast flare > convert > fire > blizz3 at the end of your fire rotations used to be good but now the damage gap between fire 3 and flare is pretty small so you might as well not bother. Unless raging strikes is almost run out. I usually time it so that if I don't get more than one firestarter proc I'll have just enough time to swiftcast flare before raging strikes falls off.

No stop it. Don't ever tell a BLM not to flare, that advice is bad and dumb.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Klades posted:

Hi

please take a look at potion, raging strikes and MP in the following videos and generally how I play BLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY_L12YzwZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXI4e_CPLOA

fake edit: No potion in t9 because it was on cd
fake edit 2: DPS was 435 for T8 and 370 for T9 and that's despite making a few mistakes in T8.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doublestep posted:

My rotation so far (discounting Thunder/procs) has been Fire III > Fire I until dry > Blizzard III > refresh Thunder > Fire III repeat. Do I just go back to Transpose and not use Blizzard III anymore as part of my main rotation?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
All you goons who think the giant horde doesn't get full credit are wrong, hope this helps. I get full credit even on Bs with 10+ parties attacking it because enough people spam heals and shield lob/flash to get it. Sometimes you get a lovely party full of dragoons who play on commodore 64's and can't load zones in less than a minute but that's easy enough to fix (drop and find another one.)

The limiting factor is on finding new marks, and the horde has a massive amount of people reporting into it so it tends to find approximately a fuckton of marks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Line Feed posted:

Final Fantasy XIV: Fractures and Atmas and Hunts, Oh My!

The MMO HMO > FFXIV: ARR: Do not ask about Fracture, Flare, Atma, Mrs. Cake

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > FFXIV A Realm Reborn - Sick BLM parses herein

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

KaneTW posted:

Hi

please take a look at potion, raging strikes and MP in the following videos and generally how I play BLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY_L12YzwZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXI4e_CPLOA

fake edit: No potion in t9 because it was on cd
fake edit 2: DPS was 435 for T8 and 370 for T9 and that's despite making a few mistakes in T8.

An aside, but does anyone know the ratio of UAT/Oil/Sand drops from CT2?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > FFXIV A Realm Reborn - Sick BLM parses herein

Kuvo posted:

An aside, but does anyone know the ratio of UAT/Oil/Sand drops from CT2?

When a person is objectively wrong about BLM, I'm going to correct them, and you can be as bitter as you like and it won't change a thing.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Sacro posted:

All you goons who think the giant horde doesn't get full credit are wrong, hope this helps. I get full credit even on Bs with 10+ parties attacking it because enough people spam heals and shield lob/flash to get it. Sometimes you get a lovely party full of dragoons who play on commodore 64's and can't load zones in less than a minute but that's easy enough to fix (drop and find another one.)

The limiting factor is on finding new marks, and the horde has a massive amount of people reporting into it so it tends to find approximately a fuckton of marks.

Hi guess what you're stupid and wrong. If your party is there from the beginning and you just show up and get 1 or 2 hits then yes, you will get full credit. If all yall show up late you're not going to though and that's how it works.

Also I guess all these people disagreeing with Kane are bad BLM who put out bad dps then.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Realtalk, it's really loving weird how aggressively some of you post about hating people talking about parses and doing good dps. Doing high numbers is cool, it's like setting a high score on the Asteroids machine at the pizza place.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

What the hell is wrong with you? Almost all of your posts over the past 2 weeks are bitter whining posts about KaneTW or parsers.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

TwistedNails posted:

What the hell is wrong with you? Almost all of your posts over the past 2 weeks are bitter whining posts about KaneTW or parsers.

They seem mad that someone has the audacity to call them on their bullshit BLM "tips" I guess. It seems half the people who post about BLM don't know what they're talking about.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Realtalk, it's really loving weird how aggressively some of you post about hating people talking about parses and doing good dps. Doing high numbers is cool, it's like setting a high score on the Asteroids machine at the pizza place.

Finally a voice of reason.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TwistedNails posted:

It's more like 50%, with the rest being filled out with bitching about hunts, actually.

E: I'll knock it off. I will say that you can help people play without bringing out the DPS meter-epeen or a bunch of graphs though.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 17, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
This is what socialized allied seal distribution events do to you. They make you feel like you're entitled to being wrong about everything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Not being able to see imgur, youtube or smilies while browsing here at work is crippling my ability to parse out the wheat from the chaff re: these BLM posts. I don't know how to play it anymore, evidently, given someone mentioned actually hardcasting Flare and I thought that was anathema :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

seannykun posted:

They seem mad that someone has the audacity to call them on their bullshit BLM "tips" I guess. It seems half the people who post about BLM don't know what they're talking about.

I certainly don't know what I'm talking about. I just make poo poo up as I go and haven't had any problems because I stay out of the second coil.

• Locked thread