Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
This is my personal Sol Ring EDH Horror/Dream Story:

Turn 1 Plains, Sol Ring

Turn 2 Plains, Thran Dynamo

Turn 3 Plains, Avacyn, Angel of Hope

It was a 1v1. v:shobon:v Granted, it was a nut hand and we immediately played another game, but I could see stuff even half as broken as though justifying a Sol Ring ban in 1v1 (if not multiplayer) Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
T1: Land > Sol Ring > Signet.
T2: Cast Kaalia of the Vast from Command Zone.
T3: Swing Kaalia dropping Master of Cruelties to no blockers.

Reap delicious tears. :unsmigghh:

Reasons_nobody_I_know_likes_Kaalia.txt

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 14, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

OssiansFolly posted:

Well I imagine so, but does Sol Ring REALLY need to be on the list? Same with Vampiric Tutor? I get that they are cheap mana cost and fast, but I don't know why they would warrant a ban...

Sol Ring enables 4-drops on turn 2 and many decks don't like a turn 4 Hero of Bladehold, much less turn 2. Oh god I'd love to ramp into Prossh even harder than before!

And this is a format where every black deck loves its Demonic Tutor. Vampiric Tutor costs 1 less and is instant. Mimeoplasm would be so much better equipped with an extra tutor at 1, you know.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cernunnos posted:

T1: Land > Sol Ring > Signet.
T2: Cast Kaalia of the Vast from Command Zone.
T3: Swing Kaalia dropping Master of Cruelties to no blockers.

Reap delicious tears. :unsmigghh:

Reasons_nobody_I_know_likes_Kaalia.txt

I wonder what the odds are that at a typical EDH table someone would argue themselves blue in the face about how you can't drop Master with Kaalia because of his attacking-alone clause. :allears:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I wonder what the odds are that at a typical EDH table someone would argue themselves blue in the face about how you can't drop Master with Kaalia because of his attacking-alone clause. :allears:

Very likely. I run kaalia and it happens all the time. "That can't happen!" and "You are a total cheater" are the usual remarks, to literally having to show the twitter post from the head rules judge Matt Tabak (That is his name right?) that it is legitimate.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

OssiansFolly posted:

Well I imagine so, but does Sol Ring REALLY need to be on the list? Same with Vampiric Tutor? I get that they are cheap mana cost and fast, but I don't know why they would warrant a ban...

Sol ring is probably the strongest card in EDH. It leads to some oppressively good starts. Sol ring is stronger than some of the other banned cards like the moxes. It honestly should be banned in multiplayer version as well. I honestly think that the French Banlust makes much more sense than the multiplayer.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I can give you that Sol Ring is a little OP but some of the stuff on the French Banlist being out in Multiplayer would be stupid.

Like how 2 of the Commanders Wizards just made are banned in 1v1 because Oloro makes poo poo tedious and Deveri triggering all manner of poo poo gets ridiculous in 1v1 but in multi-player there's more room for someone to have answers.

Or people could just stop trying so hard to make a casual multi-player variant of Magic a super competitive thing and just have fun. :shrug:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I can give you that Sol Ring is a little OP but some of the stuff on the French Banlist being out in Multiplayer would be stupid.

Like how 2 of the Commanders Wizards just made are banned in 1v1 because Oloro makes poo poo tedious and Deveri triggering all manner of poo poo gets ridiculous in 1v1 but in multi-player there's more room for someone to have answers.

Or people could just stop trying so hard to make a casual multi-player variant of Magic a super competitive thing and just have fun. :shrug:

Two people are locking themselves out of our EDH playgroup because they run the most serious, degenerate EDH decks possible, to end games as quickly as possible. "Turn 4, combo off, I win." Cool combo, saw it once, don't want to ever again. :v:

I asked for advice on degenerate things to do and run before in this very thread, and after doing them I stopped because I wanted a playgroup to do things with. It was absolutely no fun for anyone else when I took infinite turns or plow under someones lands, or setup some hard lock.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah that kinda stuff is usually fun once and then never again.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Deckit posted:

Two people are locking themselves out of our EDH playgroup because they run the most serious, degenerate EDH decks possible, to end games as quickly as possible. "Turn 4, combo off, I win." Cool combo, saw it once, don't want to ever again. :v:

I asked for advice on degenerate things to do and run before in this very thread, and after doing them I stopped because I wanted a playgroup to do things with. It was absolutely no fun for anyone else when I took infinite turns or plow under someones lands, or setup some hard lock.

This is the worst. I get annoyed and just scoop if someone ends up casting multiple extra turns and actually taking the time to fiddle around and jack off while making the game about themselves. I'm also not a big fan of mono-green decks but for completely different reasons.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I played Maralen Ad Nauseam Sickening Dreams once. I played her turn 1 with Dark Ritual and and went off EOT turn 2 with Mana Crypt, and Mox Diamond. It was, quite honestly, the best thing I've ever done in Magic, and I will have no interest in doing it ever again. I even saved my turn 3 land drop for Glacial Chasm so I'd still be alive. (It was so great because I did it in a game sitting next to the guy who usually pulls this stupid "here's my 1 card combo that I've had in my hand for the last hour. Now that I'm about to lose I'll do it. Thanks for playing!" garbage. He was so mad.)

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
On to deck tech stuff...

I was contemplating putting Kira, Great Glass-Spinner into my Nekusar deck...was hoping to get some protection in the deck.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Kamigawa has such great flavor overall and is pretty normal in every color except Blue which got some pretty ridiculous poo poo like Kira, Azami, and Erayo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cernunnos posted:

But that is how I have fun. :shrug:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

Kamigawa has such great flavor overall and is pretty normal in every color except Blue which got some pretty ridiculous poo poo like Kira, Azami, and Erayo.

Is that a good vote for Kira? I figure it is a good way to gain protection and it is surprisingly cheap! Think it is better to play Kira or Erayo?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'd say Kira. Erayo requires 4 spells going off in the same turn to flip and turn on so he doesn't always work but Kira is on from the moment it hits the field.

It does stop you from targeting your own creatures with things though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But that is how I have fun. :shrug:

I'm not saying your way of having fun is wrong. The only right way to have fun is the way you enjoy.

What I meant was more that if your playgroup doesn't enjoy playing with your degenerate combo that you should be willing to adjust things so that everyone can enjoy the game.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 15, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I'd say Kira. Erayo requires 4 spells going off in the same turn to flip and turn on so he doesn't always work but Kira is on from the moment it hits the field.

It does stop you from targeting your own creatures with things though.

I'm not saying your way of having fun is wrong. The only right way to have fun is the way you enjoy.

What I meant was more that if your playgroup doesn't enjoy playing with your degenerate combo that you should be willing to adjust things so that everyone can enjoy the game.

I'm not worried about targeting my creatures in the Nekusar deck...there is like NOTHING I have that I'd want to cast on my creatures.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I didn't think you were but I figured I'd point it out.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I would have to say Oloro is the least threatening WUB general in multiplayer, definitely not ban-worthy.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

Yeah I would have to say Oloro is the least threatening WUB general in multiplayer, definitely not ban-worthy.

Tell me all about how your Dakkon Blackblade deck is more threatening.

(I switched my multiplayer deck over to Dakkon from Oloro, just because that incidental lifegain makes you a target in my playgroup.)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Because you can play Super Esper Fun Police until you start one-shotting people with your general.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

After poking around a few Grenzo decks on Tappedout, I decided to assemble my own. I think I've got maybe half the cards for it, so it would be a project. I've never played goblins of any sort before. Any thoughts?

R/B Grenzo Gorblins

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Night Danger Moose posted:

After poking around a few Grenzo decks on Tappedout, I decided to assemble my own. I think I've got maybe half the cards for it, so it would be a project. I've never played goblins of any sort before. Any thoughts?

R/B Grenzo Gorblins

You can't have Shattergang Brothers in the deck...color identity and all.

I can't believe I am going to say this...but did you consider Mogis for the deck? Goblins are all about having board superiority and Mogis will either be a steady clock, or a method to keep the board open for your goblins to run around.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

OssiansFolly posted:

I can't believe I am going to say this...but did you consider Mogis for the deck? Goblins are all about having board superiority and Mogis will either be a steady clock, or a method to keep the board open for your goblins to run around.

I've found Mogis to be pretty bad in Commander because your opponent who has 40 life doesn't really care much about losing 2 life per turn. Also the 7-devotion gods are hard to activate with all the sweepers, and the newest block has lots of ways to take them off the table.

technolizard
May 19, 2013

OssiansFolly posted:

I'm not worried about targeting my creatures in the Nekusar deck...there is like NOTHING I have that I'd want to cast on my creatures.

I guess you don't have any equipment in there that grants hexproof / shroud, then? I would run Kira, but it would close off too many other things for my current deck.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've found Mogis to be pretty bad in Commander because your opponent who has 40 life doesn't really care much about losing 2 life per turn. Also the 7-devotion gods are hard to activate with all the sweepers, and the newest block has lots of ways to take them off the table.

I guess thats true, but I figured with that many Goblins out he would likely be vomitting them onto the board pretty quickly. Even 2 damage per turn sucks when you get down to it...especially when you have a bunch of goblins running at you each turn.

technolizard posted:

I guess you don't have any equipment in there that grants hexproof / shroud, then? I would run Kira, but it would close off too many other things for my current deck.

Eh I have Lightning Greaves and Whispersilk, but if the equip gets countered Lightning Greaves is free and Whispersilk is 2 colorless...I can afford to repay free to 2 colorless fairly easily.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

OssiansFolly posted:

Didn't mean to have that in there, was doing a bit of copy and paste and missed taking it out. :downs:

I was considering Mogis, but I agree with Elephant Ambush - 2 damage per turn is kinda eh. I'll try putting him in and seeing how it goes though. Thanks for the replies.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
So someone had the bright idea to combine EDH with planechase the other night :rolleyes:. Turn 1 ulamog and braids, fun for everyone!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Planechase more like Lamechase.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Grip of Chaos is my new favorite card.

I just played a game of EDH last night against a Norin deck and a Geth deck. The Norin deck got Grip of Chaos out, then the Geth deck got out Mikaeus&Triskelion and a sacrifice outlet.

Ten Minutes Later, nothing useful happened.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

CountFosco posted:

So someone had the bright idea to combine EDH with planechase the other night :rolleyes:. Turn 1 ulamog and braids, fun for everyone!

The very first time we tried this, we started on The Maelstrom. I went first and flipped a signet, which felt pretty good. My friend with his mono-W gimmick cat tribal deck then flipped a Felidar Sovereign.

We weren't playing regular Planechase, though - we were playing some variant where Plane cards were shuffled and arranged to make a "map" and if the die let you, you could only move to an adjacent Plane that'd already been revealed or a new one chosen at random from the planar deck.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
FYI, you always take out the broken planes unless you want stuff like that to happen. Planechase is awesome with EDH, but as with EDH there should probably be a ban list.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Really, it was perfect. It let my buddy say that he wrecked everyone on turn two with his janky cat tribal deck, we got the tension of seeing if any of us could get rid if it within one turn, and best of all, the whole thing was over quickly enough to be hilarious instead of frustrating. Definitely a sign to regulate the planar deck a little more carefully, though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I had almost the exact same thing happen. I have a friend who is pretty casual, which is cool, so he likes planechase adding a little randomness into the game. I was trashing it, saying that I'll just get maelstrom first turn and wreck the world. I caved, because hell, it's just one game and it's for funzies so who cares. Sure enough, t1 Pathrazer of Ulamog. He looked sad, but I told him we'd give it another go.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
"T1: Maelstrom into bullshit" are the kind of games everyone should laugh off and then turn around for another go at it.

Just do "re-rolls" on stupid starting Planes like that or Naya (T1: I dump my hand). There's probably a few others too.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
I think my favorite one was a game from a while back, where we decided to combine Archenemy and Planechase and play 2 on 3 (just for kicks as its casual). What kind of decks? Doesnt matter...

Their turn (3 players), they flip over the goat plane Goldmeadow (whenever you play a land, make 3 0/1 goats) on turn 2, and each play a land.
Our turn (2 players), we also play a land (and more goats happen).
Their turn, they play a land (so many goats), then roll the dice and hit Velis Vel (Each creature gets +1/+1 for each other creature on the battlefield that shares at least one creature type with it ie Coat-of-Arms)
They attack for a ton, we die. (That is, 9 attacking, 6 defending, each 9+6+9 23/23s...)

The adage of Planechase: when you play Planechase, you don't play your deck. You play Planechase.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So, my buddy lets me proxy EDH decks to play since his gets free paper and ink, and I don't have the money for the hobby. We play with the French duel banlist with the added restriction of having the deck be under $400. That being said, what do you guys think about this list? Current combos that I have found include:

Kiki-Jiki + Zealous Conscripts
Ashnod's Altar/Blasting Station + Summoning Station
Dross Scorpion + Gilded Lotus + Summoning Station
RTFC OP
Mikaeus + Sac Outlet + Deathbringer Thoctar

Cards that I'm not sold on:
It that Betrays
Dross Scorpion
New Garruk
Pawn of Ulamog

Things that I'd be interested in looking for:
Permanents that ramp, preferably creatures. I guess I could use mana rocks, but we'll see. I like the idea of keeping Primal Surge active.
Ways to fetch artifacts, as most of my combos need one, and Hoarding Dragon can only do so much work.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-06-14-oh-no/

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 18, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

So, my buddy lets me proxy EDH decks to play since his gets free paper and ink, and I don't have the money for the hobby. We play with the French duel banlist with the added restriction of having the deck be under $400. That being said, what do you guys think about this list? Current combos that I have found include:

Kiki-Jiki + Zealous Conscripts
Ashnod's Altar/Blasting Station + Summoning Station
Dross Scorpion + Gilded Lotus + Summoning Station
Mikaeus + Sac Outlet + Deathbringer Thoctar

Cards that I'm not sold on:
It that Betrays
Dross Scorpion
New Garruk
Pawn of Ulamog

Things that I'd be interested in looking for:
Permanents that ramp, preferably creatures. I guess I could use mana rocks, but we'll see. I like the idea of keeping Primal Surge active.
Ways to fetch artifacts, as most of my combos need one, and Hoarding Dragon can only do so much work.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-06-14-oh-no/

FYI, Summoning Station's tokens are not artifacts, just colorless, so them dying doesn't trigger itself.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Hahahaha. At least I only goldfished the deck, then! Thanks for the catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Hahahaha. At least I only goldfished the deck, then! Thanks for the catch.

A little more feedback: Birds of Paradise and Sylvan Caryatid are two creatures to ramp and fix with at the same time, and Kodama's Reach is another cultivate. Sol Ring, Thran Dynamo, and Worn Powerstone are all really efficient ramp artifacts, for the trade off of being colorless. Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds are two great lands for mana fixing, I'd run them both. And for tutors, you are in black, you have no shortage of tutoring effects, though those are best in decks more combo-focused than yours, so I don't know if you necessarily need them.

My main EDH deck is similar, but with Prossh, where I use Jund to create and sacrifice a bunch of tokens for fun and profit. It's missing a few things that I'm purchasing soon (Dictate of Erebos, Krenko, Mikaeus) but it's 90% there and comes in around your price range. Take a look at my picks, and I'm sure you'll find something good. Especially Sadistic Hypnotist, Skullclamp, and Grave Pact, those are all just DISGUSTING.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 18, 2014