Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I certainly don't know what I'm talking about. I just make poo poo up as I go and haven't had any problems because I stay out of the second coil.

"I'm going to give people advice I know is wrong because I don't raid hee hee"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Doublestep posted:

"I'm going to give people advice I know is wrong because I don't raid hee hee"

I'm sorry, that was a mistake and I should not have posted. I just wanted to help, I didn't realize how bad my advice was.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's a usually a terrible idea on ST, but on 2+ if you have low mana it's worth it. Exceptions exist, like Nael diving up for double dives and you not having swiftcast up, etc.

(napkin math follows and this is also assuming ~500 SS because I'm lazy and don't want to find out how much SS changes this)

Hardcasting flare on avatar and dreadnaught without fae glow: 3.2s cast for 468*2 = 936 potency, transpose, 0-3s delay for first MP tick, 2.8s for thunder 2 for 295 potency + 30% chance for thundercloud for up to 620 potency, 3.2s fire 3 with 240 potency -> 1471 potency/120-160 pps depending on MP tick excluding thundercloud)

This usually leaves you with enough MP to do 4 fires.

no flare, straight to astral fire 3 after full mana: 2.3s gcd capped blizzard 3 for 240 potency, 2.8s thunder 2, possibly 2.3s blizzard 1 depending on mp tick, 2.3s gcd capped fire 3 for 240 potency -> 775 potency without blizzard 1, or 945 with. PPS is 105/97.4, leaving you with enough MP to do 5 fires.

So yeah, worth it in a 2T+ scenario. Of course, Swiftcast and/or Convert make flaring even more attractive

E: for reference, including a 25% non wasted firestarter proc chance excluding thundercloud the pps of fire phase is about 180.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 17, 2014

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

Countblanc posted:

Realtalk, it's really loving weird how aggressively some of you post about hating people talking about parses and doing good dps. Doing high numbers is cool, it's like setting a high score on the Asteroids machine at the pizza place.

There's nothing wrong with tracking your damage. I think most everyone here has used ACT or XIVAPP at one time or another for various reasons.

That said, there is a line separating sharing useful parse data, and windmilling your e-peen for the sake of winning an internet argument. If you watch yourself carefully you can even catch yourself doing the latter once in a while.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Hi

please take a look at potion, raging strikes and MP in the following videos and generally how I play BLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY_L12YzwZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXI4e_CPLOA

fake edit: No potion in t9 because it was on cd
fake edit 2: DPS was 435 for T8 and 370 for T9 and that's despite making a few mistakes in T8.

Going by your T9 video, what you do is effectively what I said I do (which I may have worded badly) so I'm not sure what your beef is.

I didn't realize that hardcast flare was worthwhile on two targets though, I assumed it was swiftcast/3+ targets only. So if I'm reading it right, the rotation for two targets is Fire 3, 4x fire, flare, transpose, thunder 2, repeat?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

dangersandwich posted:

That said, there is a line separating sharing useful parse data, and windmilling your e-peen for the sake of winning an internet argument. If you watch yourself carefully you can even catch yourself doing the latter once in a while.

I blame the BLM buffs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

For that matter I don't really get when to hardcast Thunder as opposed to Thunder 2 or 3 anymore; in 2.0/early 2.1 it seemed to make so little difference that I stuck to 3 to save space on my bars.

I feel like I need to relearn the whole drat BLM thing from scratch :(

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Klades posted:

Going by your T9 video, what you do is effectively what I said I do (which I may have worded badly) so I'm not sure what your beef is.

I didn't realize that hardcast flare was worthwhile on two targets though, I assumed it was swiftcast/3+ targets only. So if I'm reading it right, the rotation for two targets is Fire 3, 4x fire, flare, transpose, thunder 2, repeat?

Yeah, I only now noticed the "until raging strikes has almost ran out" part. The whole convert part confused me, since I (usually, situational exceptions exist of course) convert during raging strikes exclusively.

^^ Thunder is no longer on my bars. I use Thunder 3 prepull, Thunder 2 otherwise and throw in a filler Blizzard if I feel my MP won't tick over.

E: and yeah, pretty much. Fire 3, Fire until your MP is above 266 but below whatever Fire costs (this usually means MP>910-ish = fire+flare, otherwise flare) , flare, transpose, Thunder 2 the target with highest HP, repeat.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 17, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I personally cast Thunder I on things like Dreads on t8 or adds for more Thundercloud procs, former being because Dread lives for about the duration of Thunder I, and latter because THUNDERCLOUD.

Thunder II is cast over Thunder III in the Umbral phase because generally you'll have enough MP for 2 and not enough for 3. This can change due to weird server tics etc.

You, of course, always want to use Thundercloud on Thunder III.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(edit) ^^ Thanks, that makes sense on Thunder 2 vs 3.

KaneTW posted:

Yeah, I only now noticed the "until raging strikes has almost ran out" part. The whole convert part confused me, since I (usually, situational exceptions exist of course) convert during raging strikes exclusively.

^^ Thunder is no longer on my bars. I use Thunder 3 prepull, Thunder 2 otherwise and throw in a filler Blizzard if I feel my MP won't tick over.

E: and yeah, pretty much. Fire 3, Fire until your MP is above 266 but below whatever Fire costs (this usually means MP>910-ish = fire+flare, otherwise flare) , flare, transpose, Thunder 2 the target with highest HP, repeat.

I assume this is talking 2+ targets, since you mention highest HP getting the Thunder 2, but what about Fire 2? That just need a higher number of targets, or is it never used?

As for single target, I'm guessing that's still a case where Flare is only done with Swiftcast and Convert up so you can Blizzard 3 instead of Transpose, right?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Since we're on the subject of BLM, is there ever a reason to Scathe?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Klades posted:

During movement 'cos it's instant, would be my guess. v:shobon:v

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

Klades posted:

Do you have to move and you don't have magic luck to have a proc pop the second you need to do so? Then scathe to do some damage and not waste GCD.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just want to say that Baba Yaga's summoner guide on FFGoons is awesome and amazing. The next time some of you awesome T9 crushers see us peons giving bad advice you should consider making a guide just as awesome as Baba's for your preferred job. All the other job threads (that I've read) are crap.

A lot of us just don't know better. And while some of you T9 guys are at least willing to explain why when you look at someone's post and go "You're wrong and a bad", having such info in a single collected spot would be much cooler, rather than spread all over a thread full of random crap.

:shobon:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) ^^ Thanks, that makes sense on Thunder 2 vs 3.

I assume this is talking 2+ targets, since you mention highest HP getting the Thunder 2, but what about Fire 2? That just need a higher number of targets, or is it never used?

As for single target, I'm guessing that's still a case where Flare is only done with Swiftcast and Convert up so you can Blizzard 3 instead of Transpose, right?

Only the last aprt is only for 2+ targets, the rest applies all the time.

Fire 2 breakpoint is 3 targets.

Scathe is used when your swiftcast is down or locked for an upcoming RS and you have to move for over 5.15*ssm, ssm being your gcd/2.5s. This is assuming Fire as an alternative and it not pushing you out of an extra fire cast. For ice phase, breakpoint is 1.75 ssm.

E: forgot about the scathe trait. With it, ice phase breakpoint is about .5 ssm (so essentially always) and fire phase about 3 ssm.

While we're at it, waiting for a MP tick over casting Blizzard is worth it only if you have to wait less than 0.61 ssm.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 18, 2014

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Probably the last thing I'm going to ask about BLM for now: AoE rotation, Fire 3 > Fire 2 spam > Flare > Transpose, or Fire 3 > Fire 2 > Flare > Transpose? I've always understood the latter to be better but I never bothered checking the math.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KaneTW posted:

Only the last aprt is only for 2+ targets, the rest applies all the time.

Fire 2 breakpoint is 3 targets.

Scathe is used when your swiftcast is down or locked for an upcoming RS and you have to move for over 5.15*ssm, ssm being your gcd/2.5s. This is assuming Fire as an alternative and it not pushing you out of an extra fire cast. For ice phase, breakpoint is 1.75 ssm.

E: forgot about the scathe trait. With it, ice phase breakpoint is about .5 ssm (so essentially always) and fire phase about 3 ssm.

While we're at it, waiting for a MP tick over casting Blizzard is worth it only if you have to wait less than 0.61 ssm.

Alright, sorry, I know I'm being hideously dense but I'd like to be sure. You're saying that single target, ignoring procs, is Fire 3->Fire until in Flare range->hardcast Flare->Transpose->wait for first tick->Thunder 2->repeat? And Blizzard 3 just never gets used? That seems hilariously strange from what I used to know. :saddowns:

The MMO HMO > FFXIV ARR: <once you go black joke here>

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Ciaphas posted:

Alright, sorry, I know I'm being hideously dense but I'd like to be sure. You're saying that single target, ignoring procs, is Fire 3->Fire until in Flare range->hardcast Flare->Transpose->wait for first tick->Thunder 2->repeat? And Blizzard 3 just never gets used? That seems hilariously strange from what I used to know. :saddowns:

The MMO HMO > FFXIV ARR: <once you go black joke here>

Single Target you ONLY use flare with Swiftcast/Convert up. And then, generally only with Raging Strikes up.

ST rotation, ignoring procs, should be Fire 3 > Fire until Flare Range > Swiftcast Flare > Convert > Fire I > Blizzard III > Thunder II > Blizzard > back to normal ST rotation.

e: also, if you get a Firestarter proc on your last Fire before a swap to Umbral, Transpose before you use it to swap back to Astral. It's like 200-300 free damage with absolutely no MP cost.

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 18, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The MMO HMO > FFXIV ARR: It puts the Naul in the linkshell or else it gets the /disappoint again

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

On n targets:
Fire 3 + 4 Fire 2 (I think it was 4) + Flare = 240 + 1188 n potency over (2*3.5s+4*3s)/ssm leading to ~(13+63n)/ssm pps with a 0-3s mp tick
Fire 3 + 1 Fire2 + Flare = 240 + 648n Potency over (2*3.5s+3s)/ssm leading to (24+65n)/ssm.

However, transposing leads to not getting full mana and a 0-3s wait, so you lose 1.5s on average per transpose. After m cycles with m-1 transposes with 1.5s average wait time this leads to (21+56n)/(1-0.13/m) on the 1 Fire 2 variant, and (12+58n)/(1-0.07/m) on the 4 Fire 2 one. Less loss per transpose and slightly more potency scaling with number of targets, so you can probably calculate a breakpoint for when which is better.

Then I just realized I disregarded that after the first rotation you only get 2 Fire 2, and also the option of adding Freeze to reach full MP which might or might not be an improvement and ugh.

Gut feeling says Fire 2 spam > 1 Fire 2, I'll do more math tomorrow because I'm super tired and this is more complicated than I expected.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Belzac posted:

This is what socialized allied seal distribution events do to you. They make you feel like you're entitled to being wrong about everything.

Thanks, Yoshida.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

BLM is kind of crazy now and my BLM still in i90 is pulling out some crazy single target numbers, I've barely played my monk recently outside of T8. It's also insanely satisfying in Frontlines, blowing people up trying to run away with swiftcast flare will never get old.

Unrelated but I kind of think they should have increased the sand/oil drops from BC2 with the addition of hunts, it feels kind of dumb that doing hunts is now the fastest and most efficient way to gear up.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
They really should not have had Oil/Sands come from hunts at all. CT2 was a fine way to doll out sands to the masses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Doublestep posted:

Single Target you ONLY use flare with Swiftcast/Convert up. And then, generally only with Raging Strikes up.

ST rotation, ignoring procs, should be Fire 3 > Fire until Flare Range > Swiftcast Flare > Convert > Fire I > Blizzard III > Thunder II > Blizzard > back to normal ST rotation.

e: also, if you get a Firestarter proc on your last Fire before a swap to Umbral, Transpose before you use it to swap back to Astral. It's like 200-300 free damage with absolutely no MP cost.

Ah, it all makes sense again. Thanks all for being patient with me, I know I'm pretty thick. :shobon:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Belzac posted:

They really should not have had Oil/Sands come from hunts at all. CT2 was a fine way to doll out sands to the masses.

I'm pretty drat sure nobody would be raising such a big deal about hunts being broken or PBC ruining the entire server or whatever if Sands were dropped from CT2 instead of hunts, even if hunts still dropped Oils.

Best part is that most of the people whining probably can't even clear T5.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mega64 posted:

I'm pretty drat sure nobody would be raising such a big deal about hunts being broken or PBC ruining the entire server or whatever if Sands were dropped from CT2 instead of hunts, even if hunts still dropped Oils.

Best part is that most of the people whining probably can't even clear T5.

PBC hasn't done anything, it's those assholes in fartzcutie.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm pretty sure for the last couple days we've locked down most of the A spawns through mid-day/night and cause a lot of grief to the horde cause we don't play by their rules.

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008
Someone in my FC is telling people that opening the trash chests in Brayflox HM causes the boss chests to be more likely to drop junk. I've found no confirmation of this anywhere else, so is this just that one person's superstition?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Superstition and confirmation bias.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and is in no way true. Boss chests have defined loot lists and none of them include junk.

They might include 'junk' in the sense that they're dropping gear you won't use.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Glowing Red Sign posted:

Someone in my FC is telling people that opening the trash chests in Brayflox HM causes the boss chests to be more likely to drop junk. I've found no confirmation of this anywhere else, so is this just that one person's superstition?

He's a loving idiot, and you can safely ignore anything else that ever comes out of their mouth.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Kwyndig posted:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and is in no way true. Boss chests have defined loot lists and none of them include junk.

Uhhhhh....I guess you haven't done any of the new dungeons since 2.2.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Glowing Red Sign posted:

That's not real, but Japanese Atma Time totally is.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
KaneTW gave us a list of 100% confirmed S rank spawn conditions they were full of great things like "confirmed chance to spawn" and "as good as confirmed". This game is great for bad info.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Belzac posted:

Uhhhhh....I guess you haven't done any of the new dungeons since 2.2.

Crafting materials are not junk. I made 45k on potash last week from lazy crafters.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Belzac posted:

KaneTW gave us a list of 100% confirmed S rank spawn conditions they were full of great things like "confirmed chance to spawn" and "as good as confirmed". This game is great for bad info.

It's probably just a percentage chance or something to gently caress with people. I'm staying by my opinion that there's some spawn condition :v:

(Also, Vandes managed to get Brontes to spawn seconds after getting a ton of people to eat finger sandwiches. Might be a coincidence but who knows)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KaneTW posted:

It's probably just a percentage chance or something to gently caress with people. I'm staying by my opinion that there's some spawn condition :v:

(Also, Vandes managed to get Brontes to spawn seconds after getting a ton of people to eat finger sandwiches. Might be a coincidence but who knows)

There is a very real chance that Vandes did this to gently caress with people, especially if he figured out the real spawn time/condition.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kwyndig posted:

Crafting materials are not junk. I made 45k on potash last week from lazy crafters.

Not to mention how excited I and others get whenever I see a bottle of filtered water or cooking sherry.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Now tell me about how to grind out mastercrafts and fieldcraft IIIs. My internet and schedule is too lovely for me to raid or even hunt effectively, so I've just been making a pile of gil that needs to be blown up.

Mega64 posted:

Not to mention how excited I and others get whenever I see a bottle of filtered water or cooking sherry.
Have you checked the prices recently? Minimum exploded to around 6k for a while because of someone leveling ALC desynth, it used to be like 5 gil each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashemiku
Jan 3, 2014
I ran Brayflox for the first time today, and between a terrible healer and an antagonistic tank, I now fully understand why so many of you guys hate grouping with pubbies!

A few fights into the dungeon, our tank realized that our healer wasn't wearing earrings -- which I thought was pretty strange, but I figured as long as we didn't wipe, I didn't really care. I should have known better. Turns out the healer didn't have any earrings equipped ... or a necklace. Or anything on their wrists. I wish I would have gotten a screencap, it was ridiculous.

The dungeon turned into a non-stop bitch fest all the way until the final boss ... where we wiped. To be fair to the healer, the tank was stopping all throughout the boss fight to yell at the healer about her technique, thus ensuring that he got hit by all the easily-missable AoE, so the idiocy was going both ways.

I tried to come in as the voice of reason ...

And got ignored for my trouble. (This is the most civil they ever were to each other.)

The tank died again during our second attempt, after which the healer threatened not to raise him or fight at all, and I was pulling threat until she grew up and decided to do her job.

But I got player recommendations from everyone, so I guess it wasn't a total loss?

• Locked thread