Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've not been paying much attention to the new os chat but is it likely we'll be able to split the iPad screen between different apps now? That's a feature I'd love tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ICHIBAHN posted:

I've not been paying much attention to the new os chat but is it likely we'll be able to split the iPad screen between different apps now? That's a feature I'd love tbh.

Allegedly there's code in the beta that does something like this. But if I had a nickel for every feature discovered or known to be in testing that never saw the light of day...

http://www.dailytech.com/Developer+Finds+iPad+Split+Screen+Code+in+iOS+8+Beta/article35033.htm

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008
I have a question about the applecare+ program for anybody that knows. I received an ipad 4 for a birthday gift a little over a month ago. Last night it got caught in my recliner couch and got smooshed to poo poo.

Today I was able to purchase an applecare+ program over the phone, even though the website states that it must be first inspected at an apple store, or by completing a remote diagnostic. Neither of these were mentioned to me.

Do I have a good shot at getting my ipad replaced for the $49 fee, even though it was broken before I purchased the plan?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If the info on your iPad says it's got Applecare Plus on it, you're good. It's not like they can tell when the damage occurred.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Isn't that insurance fraud?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It's only fraud if you get caught.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just hit your iPad with a hammer and replace it for the hammer damage instead of the couch damage if you're that concerned.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does a new version of iPad = reduction in price of older iPads? 

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, though it's hard to guess what Apple will do with each generation. The iPad 3 was discontinued for the iPad 4, but kept the iPad 2 around for awhile. If nothing else, resellers will likely drop prices on any discontinued models.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

They'll keep an older version around, either the 4 or original Air. If you're looking for a price drop you can always check the refurbished store.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I got myself a retina iPad mini and logitech's keyboard folio case and I'm loving both. I'm wondering however, is there a "send message" keyboard shortcut for places like iMessage and Facebook messenger? Hitting enter just creates a new line in both apps.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Some apps may have a tweak/option for it. There may be a shortcut in the keyboard (try like FN+enter or something). Pretty sure there are some JB tweaks that do exactly that too.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I've had an iPhone for a while now, and just recently purchased an iPad air. I have wifi only on the iPad.

I have an app I purchase about a year ago that I want to transfer to the iPad. It cost a lot (it's something I use in a professional capacity). I thought since I would be logged in to my Apple ID, I could just re-download it without re-paying for it, but it shows up in the App Store as if I never bought it. It's fine on the phone.

Do I have to hook the iPad up to my laptop with the phone backup on it? Or is there an easier way that I'm missing?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Are you sure you are using the same Apple ID? Check Settings > iTunes & App Store on both to be sure.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Are you sure the app is universal (works on iPad and iPhone)? If it's not universal then the company that makes it may sell an iPad version separately.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Try selecting iPhone instead of iPad at the top and see if it shows up there.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
poo poo, you guys I somehow created a different Apple ID without even realizing it. Downloaded now. Thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I've had an iPhone for a while now, and just recently purchased an iPad air. I have wifi only on the iPad.

I have an app I purchase about a year ago that I want to transfer to the iPad. It cost a lot (it's something I use in a professional capacity). I thought since I would be logged in to my Apple ID, I could just re-download it without re-paying for it, but it shows up in the App Store as if I never bought it. It's fine on the phone.

Do I have to hook the iPad up to my laptop with the phone backup on it? Or is there an easier way that I'm missing?

Try buying it again and see if it charges you. If you don't get a message that says something like, "you already bought this, redownloading" you can get a refund and check your iTunes receipts to get the purchase restored.

Efb

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

I am having some significant problems with my Ipad - lag, crashes etc. and I want to do a factory reset and a clean install. I have a couple of questions.

If I do a Factory reset, do I have to reset the network settings etc.

If I do a factory reset, should I then then reinstall the latest backup or will that just bring back the problems?

Is there a good online guide to doing this? I have found a couple but I am not sure which are actually reliable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Network settings should be in your backup, so that shouldn't be a big deal, though the backup *might* bring back the problems, but it's hard to say. How much space do you have free? They tend to have problems when they're low.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Network settings should be in your backup, so that shouldn't be a big deal, though the backup *might* bring back the problems, but it's hard to say. How much space do you have free? They tend to have problems when they're low.

I have 1.4 g free out of 16

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

njbeachbum posted:

I have 1.4 g free out of 16

I would do these things to troubleshoot your problems.

1. Create an encrypted backup on your PC in iTunes
2. Reset all in Settings.
3. See how it's doing.
4. Restore backup by plugging in your ipad.
5. See how it's doing.
6. If it's crappy again, delete your largest space hogs and repeat.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

tuyop posted:

I would do these things to troubleshoot your problems.

1. Create an encrypted backup on your PC in iTunes
2. Reset all in Settings.
3. See how it's doing.
4. Restore backup by plugging in your ipad.
5. See how it's doing.
6. If it's crappy again, delete your largest space hogs and repeat.

Thank you! I will do this tomorrow AM!

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Why encrypted?

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
:tinfoil:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

1997 posted:

Why encrypted?

Encrypted backups keep all saved passwords and authentication tokens. Unencrypted backups do not. That's the only difference, but since njbeachbum wanted to keep network settings it's an important difference.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

parasyte posted:

Encrypted backups keep all saved passwords and authentication tokens. Unencrypted backups do not. That's the only difference, but since njbeachbum wanted to keep network settings it's an important difference.

Yeah, this. Because it's seriously a pain to reenter all the passwords in all the various apps and services you have.

Especially if they're all different and like 32 characters long, like they should be.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

tuyop posted:

Especially if they're all different and like 32 characters long, like they should be.

Anything past 16 characters is ridiculous overkill, and some websites won't even allow passwords greater than 11 or 12 characters.

I tend to do 12 characters, mixed upper, lower, and numbers. I also throw in special characters when I can, but again not all sites allow it, or only allow a few different characters.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

bobfather posted:

Anything past 16 characters is ridiculous overkill, and some websites won't even allow passwords greater than 11 or 12 characters.

Those sites are rare and stupid and should be properly shamed. There's no such thing as overkill for a password.

bakerious
Feb 19, 2007
If anybody is looking for a good deal on a new iPad over the next couple of days, Staples is offering $20 - $30 off all iPads, plus 15% off in store with the coupon code 41908 (you don't need to print the coupon, just give the code to the cashier). I just got a 16 gig Air for $407.15 before tax, cheaper than a refurb from Apple. It expires on the 27th, but most Staples stores will accept in-store coupons for a couple of days past thier expiration. Only works in store.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Are you sure you're using the cover right? I used to fold it the wrong way around occasionally until I realized there's two ways to fold it, one of which is very unstable.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

We have an employee who "left the company" and their iPad Air has an activation lock. Is there seriously no other way around this other than contacting that person and asking them to remove the device from iCloud? I have the box and original receipt proving it is a corporate device. This seems really stupid to me.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If it's a supervised device you can get around it. If it's not, then you'll have to contact Apple support and see what they can do. It's probably going to require a bunch of escalation.

It kind of defeats the purpose if Activation Lock is easily removed. You should be supervising corporate-owned devices before handing them out, since it will give you full control over the device in situations like this.

edit: More info here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5927

Seems like the user can remove the device remotely by logging into icloud.com and removing the device from their list of devices in the Find My iPhone app

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 1, 2014

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
So I just got an iPad Air a few weeks ago, and even though I have it plugged into a wall outlet, the battery slowly runs down when I'm using it on full brightness. Is this normal? I'm not even doing anything too taxing, I could just be browsing the net or reading an ebook with wifi off and it still happens.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I imagine full brightness is pretty drat taxing.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Dave posted:

I imagine full brightness is pretty drat taxing.

I don't think full brightness alone would do that, maybe full brightness and something cpu/gpu taxing. At least, not with the iPad charger. Are you using the iPad charger retpocileh (vs an iPhone charger/third party charger)?

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

retpocileh posted:

So I just got an iPad Air a few weeks ago, and even though I have it plugged into a wall outlet, the battery slowly runs down when I'm using it on full brightness. Is this normal? I'm not even doing anything too taxing, I could just be browsing the net or reading an ebook with wifi off and it still happens.

I get about 3 hours of heavy use out of my Air on full brightness. If you take it down to half it spikes to about 7-10 hours.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not even sure how you can use it at full brightness. It always seems blindlingly bright like that.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

fordan posted:

I don't think full brightness alone would do that, maybe full brightness and something cpu/gpu taxing. At least, not with the iPad charger. Are you using the iPad charger retpocileh (vs an iPhone charger/third party charger)?

Yeah I'm using the iPad charger. As far as full brightness being too bright, the screen is so good I can't get enough of these pretty colors. It's not like full brightness washes anything out at all, just makes everything extra awesome.

vvvv This guy gets it.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not even sure how you can use it at full brightness. It always seems blindlingly bright like that.

It's so crisp and vibrant. It's like the screen is making love to your eyes.